PDA

View Full Version : Partitioned 2nd HDD made computer not boot! Why?

dogfart
09-01-2013, 06:18 AM
OK heres the deal. I have 2 750gb HDDs in my G75VW. My 2nd HDD is all one partion. I decided to split the partition. I split it 500gb, 250gb. I did this within windows with MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 8. http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html The process completed OK and all was fine and I was using computer as normal. I rebooted about 30 mins later but instead of Windows comming up the computer said something about not finding a boot device.
The MiniTool Partition Wizard had an option to make a boot CD which luckily I had done. I rebooted with Minitool PW boot disc, merged the 2 partitions back to a single partition, crossed my fingers and rebooted. Windows started perfectly. I am happy for that, but why would partitioning my 2nd HDD make computer not boot proper? Any ideas? Thank You

dogfart
09-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Forgot to say operating system is Win7 Home Prem x64, thanx

rewben
09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
although this should not be happening but i am not sure about your system partition layout. is this the stock setup?

dogfart
09-01-2013, 05:25 PM
although this should not be happening but i am not sure about your system partition layout. is this the stock setup?

No, stock layout had 2nd HDD in 2 partitions. I merged them a few months back25699,
then last night I decided to split again as talked about above. But like you say this shouldnt be happening. I have used this MiniTool Partition Wizard to create an additional partition on 1st HDD with complete success25700.
For some reason or another my system didnt like me partitioning the 2nd HDD last night. Like I said luckily for me I had the MiniTool PW boot disc or I would of been in trouble. I made recovery DVDs when I first purchased my G75 but I dont know if they would have worked in this instance...would have they? Thanx

dogfart
09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
bumppppppp

cl-Albert
09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Don't know too much about it, but seems like the problem is related to the partitioning software and you might also want to check with them to see if they have any ideas?

Is it maybe getting confused by the second hard drive and trying to assign it as the boot drive after you repartition it (wild guess)?

You probably know you can do some re-partitioning with Windows Disk Management, but you need to backup and shuffle around any data you want to keep, so it can be more of a hassle.

Well, hopefully somebody else has better ideas.

dogfart
09-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Don't know too much about it, but seems like the problem is related to the partitioning software and you might also want to check with them to see if they have any ideas?

Is it maybe getting confused by the second hard drive and trying to assign it as the boot drive after you repartition it (wild guess)?

You probably know you can do some re-partitioning with Windows Disk Management, but you need to backup and shuffle around any data you want to keep, so it can be more of a hassle.

Well, hopefully somebody else has better ideas.

I believe that is what is happening...but why? I think the "but why" maybe some bug in the Partitoning software.
Exactly why I was using 3rd party software to partition with!
Thank You for ur reply.

One last thing...I made recovery DVDs when I first purchased my G75 but I dont know if they (or any other recover boot media made by software like Acronis etc) would have worked in this instance?

cl-Albert
09-04-2013, 01:24 AM
One last thing...I made recovery DVDs when I first purchased my G75 but I dont know if they (or any other recover boot media made by software like Acronis etc) would have worked in this instance?

Assuming your notebook came with Win7, those AI Recovery disks you created should work on blank hard drives at least and 'normally' formatted hard drives, but you will lose all your programs and data since it only restores the original ASUS factory image.

If you have any problems using the disks, expect you can solve them by repartitioning and reformatting the hard drive if it's really necessary.

It may also be a good idea to test your AI Recovery disks if you get the chance (when you have a spare or blank hard drive available?) to make sure they work okay.

Chino
09-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Hey there, dogfart.

Post a screenshot of the Windows Disk Management window making sure that I can see all the partitions that are currently on your system. I'll have a look at it.

dogfart
09-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Hey there, dogfart.

Post a screenshot of the Windows Disk Management window making sure that I can see all the partitions that are currently on your system. I'll have a look at it.

Here you go and thank you.

Chino
09-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Ok. So this is what you need to do.

1. Right click the blue bar for Disk 1 and select Delete Volume.
2. You'll notice that the bar turned black and it'll say Unallocated space.
3. Right click the black bar and select New Simple Volume.
4. Click Next.
5. Specify the volume size. Let's start with the 500GB (500000MB) volume.
6. Click Next.
7. Assign a different letter to the drive if you wish. Click Next again.
8. Change the volume label to whatever you wish. Leave the rest of the options alone.
9. Click Next.
10. Click Finish and you're done.

To create the 250GB partition, repeat steps from 3 to 10.

dogfart
09-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Ok. So this is what you need to do.

1. Right click the blue bar for Disk 1 and select Delete Volume.
2. You'll notice that the bar turned black and it'll say Unallocated space.
3. Right click the black bar and select New Simple Volume.
4. Click Next.
5. Specify the volume size. Let's start with the 500GB (500000MB) volume.
6. Click Next.
7. Assign a different letter to the drive if you wish. Click Next again.
8. Change the volume label to whatever you wish. Leave the rest of the options alone.
9. Click Next.
10. Click Finish and you're done.

To create the 250GB partition, repeat steps from 3 to 10.

Yes, thank you for that. My problem is that I have 400gb of data on the drive. Thats why I was using a 3rd party program to partition with. The 3rd party program can partition without data loss.

Chino
09-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Ah! I now see the predicament that you're in. lol You didn't mention that the HDD had 400GB of information on it anywhere in the thread. So I assumed that it was empty. From personal experience, I can tell you that whenever a drive has information on it and you try to partition it, it almost, always never go right.

The only time that I was successful in doing so was using Paragon Partition Manager. So if you're determined to partition your drive, you can try that program out.

cl-Albert
09-04-2013, 07:30 PM
It's probably a good idea to back up first just in case something goes wrong (I haven't lost any data the few times I've tried it), but what do you guys think about shrinking the volume in Disk Management?
If you right click the drive letter you should see the option to 'shrink volume'.

After the volume has been 'shrunk', create another partition with that unallocated space in Disk Management.

Clintlgm
09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Have you discussed this with Mini Tool? I also use Mini Tool partition wizard and I have never had this issue come up.

cl-Albert
09-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Have you discussed this with Mini Tool? I also use Mini Tool partition wizard and I have never had this issue come up.

@Clintlgm, are you running 1 hard drive or 2 hard drives?

We were guessing the issue with Mini Tool occurred because the second hard drive was partitioned, but if you didn't see any problems doing this, we may be wrong about it.

Clintlgm
09-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Yes, I have 1 SSD and 1 750 hard drive, I repartitioned the SSD into 1 Volume no issues, I have used Mini Tool on other WS station here with out any issues. This sounds like something particular on dogfart's system, If it were mine I'd move or back up the data and Clean that hard disk then recreate the volume and repartition and see what happens.
BTW I did the repartitioning in window, of course the actual work was done on the re boot.
I have in the past before my last RMA changed the sizes of the 2 partitions on the SSD that originally came from the factory. I also set this up in windows. I have never used the Minitool CD/DVD boot media you have to pay for license to get the file to use a usb boot media. So far I have just it in windows, Minitool has been flawless for me this way!

dogfart
09-05-2013, 01:43 AM
I did not. I thought I'd start on this board. I originally thought it was something specific to my system. Now I'm thinking it may be a bug with the new MiniTool PW8. I should probably start a thread on their board.

It's probably a good idea to back up first just in case something goes wrong (I haven't lost any data the few times I've tried it), but what do you guys think about shrinking the volume in Disk Management?
If you right click the drive letter you should see the option to 'shrink volume'.

After the volume has been 'shrunk', create another partition with that unallocated space in Disk Management.
I am going to research this option further. If I can do this without data loss then I may try it.

@Clintlgm, are you running 1 hard drive or 2 hard drives?

We were guessing the issue with Mini Tool occurred because the second hard drive was partitioned, but if you didn't see any problems doing this, we may be wrong about it.
I think that MiniTool PW somehow marked one of the partitions it made on my 2nd HDD as the boot drive. All I know for sure is that as soon as I used the boot disc to merge the 2 partitions back to a single one it booted fine. Its been fine since.

BTW I did the repartitioning in window, of course the actual work was done on the re boot.
I have never used the Minitool CD/DVD boot media you have to pay for license to get the file to use a usb boot media. So far I have just it in windows, Minitool has been flawless for me this way!
Me too.
Its free now. Add it to ur toolbox! http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

For now I think I will just let things as they are. It isnt a huge deal if I part the 2nd HDD. Just would like to know what went wrong and if it will happen again if I do decide to partition in future. Data loss would suck but what I am really afraid of is "boot loss" :) Thanx for all your help guys. If I ever find out what happened I will update this thread with the answer.

cl-Albert
09-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes, I have 1 SSD and 1 750 hard drive, I repartitioned the SSD into 1 Volume no issues, I have used Mini Tool on other WS station here with out any issues. This sounds like something particular on dogfart's system, If it were mine I'd move or back up the data and Clean that hard disk then recreate the volume and repartition and see what happens.
I have in the past before my last RMA changed the sizes of the 2 partitions on the SSD that originally came from the factory. I also set this up in windows.

I did not. I thought I'd start on this board. I originally thought it was something specific to my system. Now I'm thinking it may be a bug with the new MiniTool PW8. I should probably start a thread on their board.

I think that MiniTool PW somehow marked one of the partitions it made on my 2nd HDD as the boot drive. All I know for sure is that as soon as I used the boot disc to merge the 2 partitions back to a single one it booted fine. Its been fine since.

@dogfart, if you end up checking with MiniTool about the issue, was thinking you may want to ask them if it would cause any problems to have 2 hard drives of the same size (and same brand?) and if the software would have any problems distinguishing the 2 hard drives.

Clintlgm reported using an SSD and 750Gb hard drive in his system, so that's why I was wondering if your system with 2 hard drives of the same size would cause any problems.
Now that I re-read Clintlgm's email again though, it didn't mention the second hard drive (assuming this is the 750Gb hd) was ever re-partitioned, so wondering if the problem might show up in Clintlgm's system too if they try this?

Anyway, not sure how much you want to worry about this, but we might want to double-check with Clintlgm to confirm if they ever re-partitioned the second hard drive (if Clintlgm's has never tried it, I don't know that we want to ask them to try it?), or if you check with MiniTool, you may still want to make sure their software can work with 2 hard drives and partition both hard drives without any problem even when they are different sizes.