PDA

View Full Version : Various troubles

MattL
07-21-2010, 04:08 AM
I bought my G73 from Best Buy yesterday, and while I love it so far, there are a couple things that are making me somewhat unconfident in my purchase. I've gotten three hard locks so far. One of them they "gray screen of death" that has been reported elsewhere. Some folks said to clean out the Creative software to avoid those, and I got another hard lock when removing the Creative software. The third one was just now playing AvP. The second two locks were just black screen with repeating audio, only the first was "gray screen".

I'm still within my return/exchange window at Best Buy. Should I get it exchanged, or is this an issue suffered by all G73s that will need to be fixed via software updates? I've also noticed that while typing, it will drop a key every now and then. I type moderately quick, but not inhumanly so. Never had a keyboard drop keys before.

Should I exchange it till I get one that isn't like this?

ottoyu34
07-21-2010, 07:03 AM
For the "Grey screen of death",if you have it with ATI GPU,the latest ATI catalyst drivers should fix the issue. It was long gone since cat 10.3
You can get the latest verson 10.6, which Brian posted in another thread.

MattL
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi. I haven't had the "gray screen" since I removed the creative software and installed newest ATi drivers. But I did get a lockup playing AvP yesterday. I'll play hard for the rest of the day after I get out of work and see if it locks anymore, and if it does I'll exchange it.

ottoyu34
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Can you run Linx for CPU and Furmark for GPU to stress test the system & check if it's hardware releated.
It's quite possible it's game issue.

MattL
07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Great suggestions. I will do so.

Thanks for the replies. I really do appreciate the responses.

Update: I'm unsure of how long is "long enough" to let FurMark run for, but after ten minutes the display was still perfect, and I was getting decent frames. The GPU temp went up to 97C, but never higher. If it flirted with 98C the fans went into high gear and it would drop back down. I ran LinX for 20 calculations and that seems fine too. Max memory, all cores, no problems. I think the problem might still lay with the Realtek drivers I have installed. They have options for "Sound Blaster" effects, which I know for a fact the stock Realtek drivers do not have those options, which means there's still more Creative junk to clean out. I'll go play some games and see if I have more problems.

ottoyu34
07-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Glad it helps, that's quite high for GPU temps. If it didn't fail furmark it's likely to be fine.
Keep us updated when you have a chance testing on more games.

MattL
07-22-2010, 02:54 AM
I did a fresh install of Win7 64bit from a retail disc and installed all the G73 specific software, save for the Creative junk. It went to a black screen with bars and locked again playing Alien Swarm. This is a totally fresh install, so I know it's not software related. It can't be, can it? How long is "long enough" on furmark to see if the GPU dies when stressed? Should I let it run for ten minutes? thirty? an hour? Since I work at the store where I bought this thing I'll just swap it out tomorrow, as it's still in the return policy. I'll put my SSD into the new one I get and see if the situation improves.

Is it possible I should use the drivers supplied by ASUS, and not the reference drivers from ATi? I have conflicting reports of people who say that upgrading the drivers fixed their GSOD and people who say using anything but the stock ASUS drivers gives them problems. What to do... Now that I think, I did upgrade my drivers before the first time it locked, I think.

I'll swap it at work tomorrow, then take it to Panera and play games for a while to see if it still locks. If it does it's somewhat safe to assume that it's a software problem, either that or I'm just that unlucky. If it still locks then I'll try the stock ASUS drivers. If it still locks...then I dunno. I really don't want to straight-out return it, as it'd be the best gaming laptop in existence if it would just work. It's also the only gaming laptop that isn't fugly, other ASUS G-series included. *sigh* Here's to hoping.

Edit: You mentioned the GPU temps I reported were high. What are good GPU temps for this chipset?

MattL
07-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Whew. I feel kind of relieved. I ran FurMark and it started flickering after three minutes, got worse after four, then gave me the same crash and burn dark screen with bars it did during the game. I'm guessing this unit is overheating. I actually feel good, knowing that it's likely a hardware issue and not some software puzzle.

I'll exchange and re-test tomorrow. I just hope this isn't a systemic problem that happens to every G73. It can't be. We sell them like hotcakes at my store. I put one on display with a nice 1080p TV as a monitor, and put some games on it. People have been buying them like crazy since. Come to think of it, the floor model works fine, and that plays Transformers: WfC and Crysis all day.

I'll swap tomorrow and hope for the best.

Brian@ASUS
07-23-2010, 12:07 AM
could be a defective model, i would exchange it. by the way, are you using the latest drivers on the support site?

MattL
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
could be a defective model, i would exchange it. by the way, are you using the latest drivers on the support site?

I did, and as far as I can tell I am. I'm using the latest of all drivers, and using the 10.6 ATi drivers from the ATi site, as directed by the post on this forum. Just got my new exchange home, and have just finished copying all my games back. I had Windows installed on an SSD that I just popped into my exchange, so I didn't have to reinstall anything. In the process of restoring all my Steam games to the 500GB the laptop came with. Please...oh, please work. Please! I love this computer so much, I just want it to work!

ottoyu34
07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Should be second time a charm. sounds like the 1st one has issues with the cooling.

MattL
07-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Should be second time a charm. sounds like the 1st one has issues with the cooling.

Just played AvP's survivor mode at max settings for 30 minutes with no problems. I seemed to get even better performance than the first, though it's possibly a placebo effect from me wanting it to work so badly.

MattL
07-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Everything seems fine with #2! Played games for three or four hours with friends last night (Alien Swarm is fun, and free!), woke up this morning and set out to stress it as hard as possible before I went to work in case I needed to swap it again, but it survived two hours of FEAR2 and then two hours of AvP with no problems at all. I think I might have a winner.

ottoyu34
07-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Just played AvP's survivor mode at max settings for 30 minutes with no problems. I seemed to get even better performance than the first, though it's possibly a placebo effect from me wanting it to work so badly.

Yea. usually hardware will throttle down to prevent damage from overheating.
I'm glad you can finally enjoy the laptop!

MrPeter
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
I can only recommend that you return it while you can and get something else. My G73 had no issues on day one. A couple of days later, some minor issues happened. After a week the whole thing went more or less to hell. I wanted the computer to work so bad (because of what I felt I was getting spec-wise for the money) that I held out for a fix.

BIG MISTAKE

Some users never had any issues - lucky them. I returned one with issues and the other one I got from BestBuy had the same issues, but they surfaced days later. Return it and get a Toshiba or something. This model is nothing. but. trouble. It's not worth the gamble.

MattL
07-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm on my fourth one now. Number 1 and 3 had GSOD constantly, number 2 flickered on it's HDMI display and had terrible problems with dropped keys on the keyboard when typing faster than a child. If this one isn't flawless I'm just going to get my money back. I want it to work, but I can't keep doing this. I'm not going to be able to recommend ASUS to customers at my store any longer, either, because nobody should have to go through three to get a good one.

ASUS OC_Support
07-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Matt,

I hope the new exchange you got it working well for you. Please provide us with feedback on this so we can determine if this is an isolated incident or not.

Thanks,
ASUS Support

ASUS OC_Support
07-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Matt,

Sorry. This thread is the feedback on your exchange :) I was thinking I was replying to the other thread that ended with you saying you would get the unit exchanged. I'm glad this one is working for you!

MattL
07-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi Matt,

Sorry. This thread is the feedback on your exchange :) I was thinking I was replying to the other thread that ended with you saying you would get the unit exchanged. I'm glad this one is working for you!

I'm on the fourth one, and it remains to be seen if this one is like the others or not. So far I've had three in a row be defective out of the box. If you'd like details on what software was used on each one and what conditions they crashed in I can provide it. I'm going to test this one tonight and see what happens. Though with how the last three have been I'm not confident. I hope I'm wrong.

MattL
07-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Number four just gave me my first GSOD when playing AvP. Does anyone from ASUS wanna step up and help me out? I don't wanna return this thing, I just want it to work. Can I send it to ASUS and have it inspected and replaced with one that doesn't do this?

MattL
07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
On a whim I followed a piece of advice from another forum. I OC'd GPU/VMEM by 20MHz each using a custom VBIOS that enables Overdrive. Now the system is completely stable, and actually runs around five degrees cooler. I'm getting a three year plan of service from where I work on this, so if the video card does turn out to be defective I can have it repaired in the future. Hopefully should mine require a video card replacement the ones available as parts by then will have had this issue worked out.

DCx
09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Yup, that's pretty much the only recommended solution. I'm wary to try it, I feel like it would void my warranty - but with my 4th g73 on the way, I may try it as well!

Brian@ASUS
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
VBios is being worked on. should be released shortly

MattL
09-04-2010, 01:31 AM

That is spectacular. I am excited.

Travelor
09-04-2010, 06:21 AM
The new vBIOS is availabe - Released by Gary Key on NotebookReview - How to Fix Your GSOD Blues (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html)

In Christ,
Trav...

MattL
09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Glorious.