PDA

View Full Version : Infested!!!

Massquatch
09-01-2013, 07:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago or so, my G73 JH became infested with the worst virus I've ever experienced. I cant open IE, I cant open my virus program either. Worst of all, it wont let me do a factory restore using the f9, it brings me to a repair tool of some sort.
I had made the recovery disks when I first got the machine, but of course, now that I need them, they've disappeared.
Any way to restore my computer to factory?
Please keep in mind that I'm not exactly a novice, but reading a post by someone with a similar problem didn't seem to help. Half the stuff I just didn't understand.
Is there a link to a site where I can download the recovery disks to an external harddrive, then transfer them to my Asus?
The machine Im using now doesn't have a cd or dvd burner.
Help?

chrsplmr
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Asus eStore: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g73&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

(http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g73&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0)That said, can you get into safe mode ? [no network]
If you can, this nasty is probably hiding in your app data folder or a temp folder as an .exe
This is a good thing to keep cleared and to check from time to time anyway.
First you have to be able to view All files and folders:
Explorer>Organize>Folders and search options>View
Change the 'radio button' to Show hidden files and folders if it is not.
Then:
Explorer: C:\Users\your user name\AppData
There will be usually 3 folders under appdata .. and some files ..
if any of them are an .exe ... you have found your virus .. or a virus.[delete it.]
Then open:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Temp ... press control A to highlight
and delete ...
Also empty temp folder in windows if you dont already from time to time.
Most of the leaches coming through the internet and specifically ie love these folders ..
and usually can be defeated before they get to embedded ..

Hope this is of use to you .. or the next .. best of luck.c.

Massquatch
09-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the help. I tried what you said to no avail. So, I just ordered the restore disk from Asus. Hopefully that will work.
This just shows why I prefer books. No viruses, no updating, no issues other than losing my place.
Again, thank you for the help.

chrsplmr
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hear that didn't do the trick ..

Let me suggest however that you can't ask a book a question that returns 100,000+ answers in .8 seconds ..
2 of which may be correct .. hahhahaha .. Best of Luck. Please keep us posted.c.

Massquatch
10-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Got the disks from Asus and tried them. Got a read error message while running the second disk. Called the Estore and had them send me a new set. Figured maybe there was something wrong with the disk itself. They sent me out a second set, same error message.
Finally brought it into Best Buy to get the thing looked at. The hard drive failed their testing. Bought a new SSD drive and now the thing works great. Funny thing was, the folks at BB couldn't seem to find a standard replacement hd for this computer. That's why I ended up with a SSD. They seemed to be having a hard time finding a similar hard drive that runs at 7500 rpms. So we went with a 4500 SSD cause they had them in stock.
While there, we also picked up a brand new G750 JW.
Love these damn Asus's.