PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on laptop! G750JW vs G75VX - need help

Lochtide
09-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi there, I am looking for any advice on this matter! I am unsure of which laptop I should get.

G750JW vs G75VX From my local store, the G75VX would be at least $250 more. Would that be worth it? Does the G750JW have better performance? At the moment, I don't really know anything about overclocking so I guess I am comparing right out of the box.

Which is better quality? better materials or surfaces? Anyone know which is quieter? or which one has access to clean the fans?

Any info would be appreciated let me know your opinions!

thanks

chrsplmr
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Welcome to ROG ..
Without the specs of the G75vx you are considering it is quite hard to say: ie, how much memory, ssd? blu-ray? ect.
but that said:
The G750 series is the upgrade .. with the haswell i7 and a little better gpu. The next series is always intended to
be an improvement over the last. Again what are the remaining specs and which screen .. ect.

And a biggie::: What retailer ? There are many submodels .. under each series ... and then there is Best Buy .. which
being a friend/partner of Asus, I don't want to say usually isn't the best buy.

The JH is the top of the line for now .. and is out in many areas ... but under no amount of reasoning would I pay
$250 more for last years model unless it was super spec'd out the WaaZooo !!!

The last little bit to consider is .. do you need a laptop or a computer .. imho .. you get much
more bang for the buck with a desktop .. if you dont need portable .. even if you do .. look
at the impact.. ect .. just ROG for thought.

Best of Luck.c.

Clintlgm
09-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Yes I agree with chrsplmr, you need to do some research on all these model and how they are configured. The G750JH is really a beast with 780 Graphics card and SSD. All G75VX are not equal nor are all G750 JW, the major differences to check out are screen type and native resolution cheap ones have 900 resolution Good ones have full 1080 HD screens. Hard drives cheap ones have 5400 RPM hard drives, the better models will have a 256 GB SSD. Ram 8 GB is more than enough, some the higher end models come with 16 GB, Some even come with 32 GB. Then you have the Optical Drives, cheaper models with have a DVD Writer, Higher end ones with have a Blue Ray Writer. These are big differences but with out understanding this you might be comparing apples to oranges

Pitcher@asus
09-02-2013, 06:45 AM
what config do you need? you can see the asus support site or search from google, amazon, best buy..etc.. some store.

Lochtide
09-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Ok I see, this is really complicated and theres a lot to consider. How about this, could anyone give me their opinion:

I have narrowed down my options to the two listed above.
ASUS G75VX has:
i7 3630QM 3.4 GHZ
17.3 1080p
GTX 670MX
8GB ram
5400 RPM HD (says i can upgrade)
backlit keyboard
better looks

SAGER NP 7370 has:
i7 4700MQ 2.4 GHz
17.3 1080p
GTX 765M
can choose Windows 7
8GB ram
7200 RPM

I know this is an ASUS site, but I'm sure we can still compare them? The sager might be about $100 or so more. I heard the ASUS runs really quiet and has a decent temp, Im sure the SAGER runs lower temp too, but I remember something about them being a bit noisy. Looking at GPU comparisons on some websites they rank they GPUs almost the same, but the 765 pulling out ahead by a few FPS on some games anyways. Apparently, the 670MX is more overclockable? (even though I am not sure how to do that).

I really am unsure! I like the looks of the ASUS and I think its specs are good, the sager might have slightly better performance? Whats your opinion? anything will help!

Dreamonic
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
By far the 670MX will net you better performance since it can OC almost to 1000 without a voltmod.

It won't matter if you don't know how to OC, I can assist you when that time comes around.

Better bang for buck out of the 2 options you have is still the VX.

The VX can compete beyond the JX levels, so being as the JW is inferior to that, your choice is much easier to make now.

Upgrade 5400 spinner to SSD and add another 8GB RAM if funds allow.

Lochtide
09-02-2013, 05:06 PM
By far the 670MX will net you better performance since it can OC almost to 1000 without a voltmod.

It won't matter if you don't know how to OC, I can assist you when that time comes around.

Better bang for buck out of the 2 options you have is still the VX.

The VX can compete beyond the JX levels, so being as the JW is inferior to it, your choice is much easier to make now.

Wow! ok thanks for the info, not that I truly know yet what 1000 is referring to (GPU speed or CPU speed or both?) it sounds that its OC possibility makes it a good choice. I would contact you for OC help if I got that model! :)

thanks for that info, and any further info would be great!

Dreamonic
09-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Stock the 670MX is crippled @ 601 (core) /1400 (mem)

It is by far the best overclocker out of the G series.

Overclocked the 670MX can meet 1000+ (core) / 2600 (mem)

That's +400-700Mhz on the core and +1000-1200Mhz on the mem from stock with slight bump in voltage.

The performance gain from this puts it at mid OC'd 680M to stock 680MX levels.

No 765M will ever reach that.

The CPU performance between the 2 are really so-so in comparison as you won't even notice the difference with them apart.

Plus, the VX CPU can be upgraded later to a 3840QM and surpass the 4700MQ anyway, if for just S'n'G, but is not really even needed.

The question is, are you willing to work with the VX to get it to it's potential OR are you wanting out-of-box performance with no work involved?

Lochtide
09-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Stock the 670MX is crippled @ 601 (core) /1400 (mem)

It is by far the best overclocker out of the G series.

Overclocked the 670MX can meet 1000+ (core) / 2600 (mem)

That's +400-700Mhz on the core and +1000-1200Mhz on the mem from stock with slight bump in voltage.

The performance gain from this puts it at mid OC'd 680M to stock 680MX levels.

No 765M will ever reach that.

The CPU performance between the 2 are really so-so in comparison as you won't even notice the difference with them apart.

Plus, the VX CPU can be upgraded later to a 3840QM and surpass the 4700MQ anyway, if for just S'n'G, but is not really even needed.

The question is, are you willing to work with the VX to get it to it's potential OR are you wanting out-of-box performance with no work involved?

Well, really I do like laptops and technology, I think it would be quite awesome to put in some work and reach a higher potential. It would be really cool to learn about OC, upgrading components and the like to make the system faster.