PDA

View Full Version : Gridning sound from fan.

Yue Fairchild
09-03-2013, 02:12 AM
I don't know what caused this. I'm freaking out. Oh god. Oh god. oh god. Please just kill me. I'm scared.

There's...When I move my laptop off of a flat surface, like to carry it, I start hearing this grindy clicky sound from the left rear fan, and it doesn't stop, and I'm having a huge panic attack because it's been over a month so I can't return it and I changed the had drive to an SSD so my warranty's void and oh god what do I do WHAT DO I DO?!

Gamebouncer
09-03-2013, 04:26 AM
You have a year warranty and the SSD install shouldn't void anything unless you broke something while doing that

Call Asus Tech Support

Pitcher@asus
09-03-2013, 06:02 AM
i think if you just change HDD it is not void warranty, user can change HDD,DIMM by thenselves, but i recommend you call asus service center or take it to check.
maybe when you install SSD, you have screw drop down to there.

patros
09-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Sounds like your chassis is a bit loose and when you're moving it, the body is plying a bit. Check all your screws, disassemble and reassemble the fan system and surrounding body too and let me know how that works out for you.

Stop freaking out, that doesn't solve anything.

Yue Fairchild
09-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm halfway there. I unscrewed everything on the bottom and disconnected the speaker/rear lid assembly, and now I don't know where to go. I'm also afraid one or more screws may have wound up inside the computer, and that I won't know how to reassemble it.

I've added you as a friend on skype, I'm hoping we can talk more there, Patros. Thank you.

patros
09-03-2013, 07:38 AM
If one or more screws wound up inside the computer, pick it up and shake it around a bit, it can handle a few Gs and check to see if you can hear any rattling.

I won't be on Skype for a bit as I'm at my office, however my sincere recommendation is that if you're unsure about putting things back together or if you've gotten a screw or two lost inside the system, do not attempt to put it back together and switch it on. Depending on where a screw lands, it can cause potential electrical shorting problems and end up ruining something major on your system. If you can, pay a visit to an Asus tech support centre and have them look at it and put it back together.

Why take any unnecessary risks with an expensive piece of equipment?

Any chance you've had a look at the following video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qvoaWsM_w

Yue Fairchild
09-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I hear rattling. ****. I'm going to have to go to an asus tech support place. I'll watch the video though, thanks! I couldn't find one when I searched.

patros
09-03-2013, 08:02 AM
That video isn't as informative, sorry, my bad. Yeah, you've gotta hit the Asus Tech Support centre Yue as opening up the entire chassis may void your warranty and cause further problems.

Best of luck and do let us know what happens bud!

Cheers!

Yue Fairchild
09-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I noticed the quality of the video pretty quickly. :(

I may just close it up as best I can and beg Microcenter to take it back; the closest support center is a good six hours away.

patros
09-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear that Yue, fingers crossed and keep your chin up!

Flea0
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
doesn't ASUS have a pick up (at your house) and return tech support policy for ROG stuff?