PDA

View Full Version : Why people complain about the matte screen in g750 series

garfy
09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Is it really so horrible, I have heard so many complaint that the colors are all messed up, that is super grainy etc.

I am deciding not to buy this laptop just because of the matte screen

Why asus cant learn, and also people complain about the audio, that was the issue with g75 before, why it happens in g750 agan?

CamainDK
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I dont complain. Instead I urge you to, if possible, visit a store and see for yourself.
I got the G750JH-T4060H, matte screen, no 3d, but the screen is equal or better than any other screen I've used.
@ work I use a HP LA2405WG, it doesnt match the Asus screen in any way.
I'm more than happy with my new laptop and do recommend it to my friends, when talk is about new laptops..

When it comes to sound, true, the onboard speakers cant match my Samsung surround system, but no onbaord laptop speaker setup can.
I got no noises, pops, hissing or crackling sound, smooth all the way regardsless wheter I'm gaming or watching a BD movie..

Regards
Jesper

patros
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I love the gloss 3D screen. In my country, the matte option wasn't even available. I do feel however that games look better, the 120 hz 3D display doesn't hurt for quality and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Flea0
09-04-2013, 12:15 PM
heah, get the 3D 120Hz screen if you can, it's absolutely worth the upgrade

garfy
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
I was checking the asis g750jx in local store. I checked the matter screen. I was looking at the yellow background and if I see any dots or smoodginess, or dirtiness. NOTHING!! It is true screen is little less colorful, but hey it is not such a difference. Also I checked the audio and it did not suck at all. I think people who complain about the screen are just to sensitive. I dont know, really. It looked fine to me. I did not see any dots at all, rainbow or anything else.

iweber95
09-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Personally I have the matte screen and I have had no problems with quality or those lines every one has been talking about. Having no glare is great and I think the colors looks much more realistic on the matte screen vs and glossy screen.

McHero
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I was also very concerned as I've read about the complaints in the forum. As expectations and perception is a matter of personal taste I recommend to go to a shop and have a look by yourself.

All I can say is that I own the G750JH (first Asus Notebook as I've always worked on ThinkPads professionally) now since 3 weeks and I'm totally happy with it. It's a great machine and a good buy for me. Hope this helps.

Draetor24
09-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Here's my experience/opinion:

I bought the G750JH in Canada and I was worried about the matte screen as well. It IS grainy in comparison to my older Asus with a glossy screen. But you can only see the grain over white or really light backgrounds, and it's not like sandpaper grain, it's more like "film grain" that you get to make a more realistic look in video games or filming video.

Also, the color saturation and contrast on the screen was really nice, and the brightness was spectacular for a matte screen. The viewing angles were "ok" but not the best.

People have complained about horizontal lines, and I think that they had faulty displays. I myself had no such thing, HOWEVER, my display just suddenly stopped working, and only an external monitor worked. I had to RMA mine because of the lack of quality control for these displays.

So while the display is fine in regards to brightness/color/contrast, it has some minor grainy look over white backgrounds, and the displays themselves seem to really lack in quality control.

Myroslav
09-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I love the matte screen. Had glossy one before and hated it. Reflects are gay as faack.

derpcules
09-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Im convinced that all the complaints about lines on the matte screen are the result of purposefully trying to evoke them and claiming they want their screens att max contrast + lowest brightness. Even with those settings you only see lines in certain shades IF you are instecting the screen from 1-2 cm away.

The screen itself is great for what it is, a matte screen. Designed to be usable in bright light setings NOT give you the best quality in a pitch dark room. Even then the differance is minimal.

Alot of the people on this forum are simply full of ****.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Im convinced that all the complaints about lines on the matte screen are the result of purposefully trying to evoke them and claiming they want their screens att max contrast + lowest brightness. Even with those settings you only see lines in certain shades IF you are instecting the screen from 1-2 cm away.

The screen itself is great for what it is, a matte screen. Designed to be usable in bright light setings NOT give you the best quality in a pitch dark room. Even then the differance is minimal.

Alot of the people on this forum are simply full of ****.

Yes people are allowed to be, it's the internet.

derpcules
09-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Yes people are allowed to be, it's the internet.

Thank you for defending stupidity mr internet hero! It would have died without your help!

patros
09-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Play nicely children.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Thank you for defending stupidity mr internet hero! It would have died without your help!

I'm not defending it, just.. it is what it is...

Dream
09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
The only screen problem I've had is a single stuck red pixel. I did a search for how to fix it via software, JS screen fix is the program name I believe, and boom, gone in 10 mins.

1 stuck pixel out of 2 million + is not bad in my book. (If it were "dead" I might be annoyed and call ASUS, but stuck is not dead).

LeonardoTan
11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
See!! There is a problem with the screen, and right now I live in Germany for about 4 years, this is my first week, going to buy a laptop, and thinking alienware 17 or asus g750, but really anyone know where can I buy asus in Germany, and alienware.de provides better service, like a personal telephone, but I really like the asus stealth fighter jet design so much. It is easier to buy at alienware though because the official website already provide it.

Maxter
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I love the matte screen... no issues here :D

Topper01
11-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Hey LeonardoTan, i'm from Germany and i bought my g750jh at amazon because its almost 100% save to by there and if you are not happy with the rig within first two weeks after purchasing, you can send it back and get your money without the need to explain anything. I dont know for alienware but for amazon its pretty easy. Before going to off-topic i will let you know about my thoughts for the display:

I'm coming from a g73-jw with glossy screen. After turning on the g750jh the first time i was also a bit concerned about the screen. The picture is a bit grainy (which is not a problem at all) and having those very thin horizontal/vertical lines (looks like a thin grid). Please note i got a g750 with AUO display. I followed the suggestion to remove the splendid tool, but it didnt help to much for me. After playing around a bit with nvidia display settings i found a setting whichbfits me well and let the grid lines almost disappear. If i look very carefully on the display in windows mode (when surfing or using file explorer) i can still recognize it, but its definetly something you are getting used to.

After starting a game the first time my impression about the display changes completly: very good colors, pretty crisp and sharp, no lines or grids - just perfect.

Comparing the matte screen of g750jh to glossy screen of my old g73jw:
- matte screen is definetly better for gaming, especially when going with native panel solution
- glossy screen is better when using non 3d applications. Staying in windows desktop looks better here and i also feel more comfortable for my eyes when watching.
- so if you are doing lot of photoshop, programming etc a glossy may fits better, but for gaming the matte is pretty nice

Greetings from Germany

reka121402
11-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I've got a 750JX bought from Microcenter and I HATE the screen, but read on before you judge me :)

I have no lines, no dead/lit pixles, all in all the screen works exactly as intended, but to me personally (which is 100% opinion) the colors look flat and dull. I've always been very nitpicky when it comes to picture quality and I just can't stand a mate screen anymore. Matte screens, all of them, scatter the image through an anti-glade screen that absolutely kills (in my opinion) color quality, color blending/seperation, and overall image quality. Some people will see this standing by itself, others need a side by side comparison, but trust me when I say that everyone can see it side by side.

So maybe this is the reason for all the screen complaints. I personally would rate the screen as average and no better than that, and if you were to place the G750 next to a glossy laptop or desktop monitor it would look terrible.

MrRuckus
11-12-2013, 03:02 AM
I owned a G74 and loved the Glossy display but hated reflections. If this is in fact a TN panel, its one of the best I have used or seen. Getting rid of reflections is worth it to me over the downgrade (if you can call it that) going from the Glossy to Matte. I was also worried but I have come to like the display. Whites look white to me. Lines of grey color can sometimes be an issue, both they are few and far between. Turning the refresh up to 100Hz gets rid of the flicker effect of those lines. It can happen on a few websites, but hasn't been an issue to me yet.

Dr. Zchivago
11-12-2013, 03:22 AM
See!! There is a problem with the screen, and right now I live in Germany for about 4 years, this is my first week, going to buy a laptop, and thinking alienware 17 or asus g750, but really anyone know where can I buy asus in Germany, and alienware.de provides better service, like a personal telephone, but I really like the asus stealth fighter jet design so much. It is easier to buy at alienware though because the official website already provide it.

That is a problem with A screen - not THE screen. The process of manufacturing all electronics allows for errors - that's why manufacturers offer their customers warranties, because they can't possibly guarantee perfection in every device.

I, for one, use matte-screen monitors exclusively on my desktop and laptop because my eyes are so sensitive to light that even the shadowy reflections on the matte screen are distracting at times, but infinitely preferable (for me) to the glossy screen.

It all boils down to your personal preference. If you want a glossy screen, and refuse to even try out a matte screen, go buy a laptop with a glossy screen.

And, ASUS customer service bites a big one - lol. But, I still use one, because it's a more comfortable laptop that does what I need and looks better than a gaudy Alienware doing it.

Dr. Z

jojojoann
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
I love the matte screen. No squinting!! :)

LeonardoTan
11-21-2013, 10:16 AM
why not all country get the 3d display option??!!