PDA

View Full Version : Asus G46VW hangs and boots to BIOS

DecadenceFTW
09-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Ok, so my wife's laptop is doing the following:

It will work for a while, then it will either blue screen or just randomly turn itself off. When she turns it back on, it boots into the Aptio Setup Utility (BIOS version 210 - 02/2013) and refuses to actually boot. When you go to the SATA configuration the HDD shows up, but it won't show up if you go to the boot menu when the computer comes on. The only option is to enter setup. In the past, I've just waited a little, selected "Save settings and exit" even though I didn't change anything, and then when it restarts it would boot up. But not this time, it just goes back to the BIOS. I have read other posts and have disabled Secure Boot and enabled Launch CSM (how I got it working initially), but it still won't work for me. This is the 5th or 6th time it's done this in about 3 weeks. I just bought the HDD and put it in. It's a standard SATA drive, 7200RPM 750GB...it's not an SSD. I put Windows 7 on it as well because I didn't want to deal with 8. Thoughts? Ideas? See system specs below.

**EDIT. I just looked in the BIOS again, and this time the SATA drive does NOT show up under the SATA configuration portion of the BIOS. It just says SATA Mode Selection - AHCI, and Serial ATA Port 1. It used to have the actual name of the hard drive there, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the power cable or something? Maybe it's just coming loose from the board? **

Asus G46VW
Core i5 3210M @ 2.5GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 660M
HDD: WD Something 500GB, 7200RPM

Pitcher@asus
09-06-2013, 02:45 AM
you have change new HDD right? is the problem occur in original HDD or new HDD or both of them?

Prostar Computer
09-06-2013, 08:14 PM
It's either the drive or the sATA port. Try installing another drive and see if BIOS picks it up. If you have another bay, you can try moving the drive to that (if I recall correctly though, this laptop doesn't have a second hard drive bay).

DecadenceFTW
09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
This is the replacement HDD. Brand new from WD. I don't have the original drive to test. I do have another SATA drive I can test though. I will do that and we'll go from there.

I think the G46VW only has one bay so yea. Just have this weird feeling it's an issue with the bay and not the drive but oh well, we can't know that for sure until we try. :)

Prostar Computer
09-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, neither the sATA ports nor hard drives have high failure rates, but it definitely sounds as though you've got either a bad sATA port (or a faulty sATA controller chip), or perhaps the drive's connector is busted.

Let us know what happens. :)