PDA

View Full Version : Strange wireless behavior

andreyss
09-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi Everyone.

I got my Asus G750JW-bbi7n05 (the bestbuy version) a few days ago. Immediately got the Win8 replaced with windows 7, installed all the drivers etc. However soon I started to notice a significant drop in internet speed compared to my previous laptop. Like the speedtest.net would show good 50 mbp/s speed for my old laptop, but only 5-15 mbp/s for my new Asus. Similarly certain videos that I can stream w.o. problem on myold laptop would take ages to buffer and frequently stop on Asus. Did anybody experience a similar problem or knows what may be causing it?

Maxter
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
are you on battery? plugged? PowerForGear installed? it's possible you might need to adjust the power settings for the wireless network adapter. You can find this under the Power/Battery options in the control pannel

andreyss
09-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I am plugged and I have put maximum performance for the Wi-Fi in the power setting, so this shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Prostar Computer
09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
5 - 15 Mb/s is a rather large gap. Often times when I see nuances like this, it's due to the router and not the card; sometimes just a simple misconfiguration. You can try reloading the driver, or you may even want to try an alternate driver.

What wireless card is/was in the old laptop?

andreyss
09-06-2013, 11:50 PM
My old laptop is a 3 year old HP elitebook with intel Centrino ultimate-n 6300 card. The reason I feel it is more likely to be a problem with the laptop is because I put two laptops side by side, sitting on the same desk, connected to the same router and run the speedtest and get completely different results.

Another strange thing I have noticed is that while download speed varies dramatically from test to test and between laptops, the upload speed remains stable at about 5.5-6 mbp/s

mbk1990
09-08-2013, 03:06 AM
I am also having issues with my G750. I previously had the G74 until my GPU burned out so I purchased the G750. The performance is great in single player games, but I get rubber banding issues and lag issues on online games. I had absolutely no wireless problems with my previous G74 so I know it is not a router issue. I have also noticed received a similar drop from around 50mbps to 15mbps on speed tests. Mine is completely out of the box with no modifications whatsoever.

patros
09-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Given that the Asus G750 models officially operate on Windows 8, the drivers you might have used for Windows 7 may not be working optimally. I can say that staying with Windows 8 and using the Asus drivers, I currently get around 45 mbps which is about right given my ISP put me on a 25 mbps plan. They tend to be rather generous you see lol.

You may want to try restoring your computer to default Windows 8 and the original drivers, testing out the speed then and if there's a massive drop, take it back as then it could be hardware related. You have no grounds for complaint if things aren't running with original parts as they say.

andreyss
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Patros, you may be right except for one thing. When i was buying the laptop in Bestbuy, I have specifically asked the salesman: "Would there be any problems with this laptop if I install Win7 over Win8" and I got the following response: "No, everything should be working just fine". They i come home and find out that there is no official support for Asus. This is obviously a retailers fault for not training their staff, rather than the fault of Asus and this is precisely why I am going to Bestbuy tomorrow to return the laptop to them.

patros
09-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Well, you listened to a guy at Best Buy :P Now you really don't have a foot to stand on LOL!!!

It is a pity big retailers hire virgins to argue the merits of something they know nothing about. Just coz they look the part don't mean they know their part.

Sorry about your experience. If you don't mind me asking though, what is your issue with Windows 8? You paid for it after all when you bought your laptop and it works just fine.

Cheers

andreyss
09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Well to be honest I ask not only to find out the specifics of the laptop but also to have a ground for an argument in case something goes wrong. Like this time they also sold me the Corsair Vengeance 1.5 volt RAM to use with laptop (even though Asus specifically tells not to use the 1.5v memory) and i contacted the store back and they apologised and gave me my money back for the RAM without having to actually return it. So now I have 8 gigs of RAM for free.

As for the Windows 8 - i really don't like the new interface with no start button, mandatory Metro screen as a startup etc. I played with it for about 30-40 min when i got the laptop and realised that i just can't stand it. I know that with some pain and labor you can make Win 8 look almost like Win 7 (or run a virtual Win 7 on it), but I had a free Windows 7 Ultimate courtesy of my college, so i decided to install it instead. I can't really say anything about Win 8 performance or the ability to customize it for yourself since I didn't use it long enough but the new interface is what turned me away from it. And saying that i paid for Win8 when i got the laptop seems to me like saying that you paid for a paper bag when you ordered chinese delivery and shouldn't put the food on a proper plate. If I had a choice I obviously would have asked for a Win7 installed on it instead, but unfortunately most new laptops come with Win8 now because Microsoft pushes it. So i take it is a necessary evil that can be remedied by the end user. All i really hope for is for the companies such as Asus to give at least basic support for people who like other operating systems.