PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Sudden Shutdowns

bikenut
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
My 6 month old G75VW does sudden shutdowns, like you pulled the power plug.
Power on and works ok again, sometimes for a week of more.
I've read other users with similar problems with other models, even getting them replaced under RMA, and the new ones do it as well. Others removing various Asus power s/w programs with some success.
I thought I'd start a thread on this to see if there is some current info on this one.

Here is the response from Asus.com support on this issue of sudden shutdowns.

For this issue, please reset your unit for a try firstly.
Remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter. Press and hold your power button for 15 - 25 seconds. Release the power button. Put the battery back in place.

Then please restore the BIOS for a try.
Please restart the computer, enter the BIOS by rapidly tapping the F2 key during power-up. Switch to "Save & Exit" menu and select Restore Default. Press F10 save and exit for a try.

If the problem persists, it's maybe hardware related issue, you will need to contact our RMA (Return Material Authorization) department for assistance.
You need to submit the RMA request on the following website, and the RMA department will follow up the case, then they will send a RMA number and the address of the Repair Centre to you later.
So, I'll start with the first step and do the battery removal and power button press.
I'll monitor things before the I'll restore the default BIOS.

If anyone has any more current useful info sure would appreciate it.
Thanks, Bill

Prostar Computer
09-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Their first recommendation is what is known as resetting the EC (embedded controller). It's unlikely this will work, but it's worth a shot.

The second recommendation will not fix anything. This is only a soft reset anyway. A true(er), hard reset consists of removing the CMOS battery.

To honest with you bikenut, this sounds like a power board or main board issue. I think you will end up sending it in for service.

bikenut
09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks Prostar for the response.
I've only tried the first step so far, what you call resetting the EC.
It's been a few days of heavy use and no return of the shutdown yet.
The only thing I've changed is to set the laptop to the balanced power setting, instead of the Power4Gear settings.
I noticed other users not using it or not load it at startup, or even remove the software, with some reporting success.

Since that one changed I've noticed my battery stays at 100% charged, which it didn't do for very long on the Power4Gear option.
When on that option, it always went down into the high 90% ranges. Never thought much of it.
So, I'll monitor this setup and see how it goes.
I'm trying to eliminate options to help pinpoint what's the cause (other than a real hardware problem).

Maciej
09-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Ive got enough of this radom shutdowns, it never happens when im playing. Was working fine since ive bought it, started one month ago. Check all solutiions didint work. So maybe its the new bios upgrade problem, check it out.
logs of critical crashes:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-08-15T14:01:28.682405600Z

EventRecordID 168313

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer xxx-Komputer

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

bikenut
09-11-2013, 09:37 AM
My G75VW ran for about a week, then just shutdown about 5 minutes after starting up by opening the lid. It is using instant on.
I had uninstalled Power2Go, so that didn't help.
I'll now uninstall Asus instant on and monitor that status.

Professional
09-13-2013, 01:22 AM
My G75VW ran for about a week, then just shutdown about 5 minutes after starting up by opening the lid. It is using instant on.
I had uninstalled Power2Go, so that didn't help.
I'll now uninstall Asus instant on and monitor that status.

I could help you.
Are you using bitlocker ?
Have you been battery always plugged?

bikenut
09-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I am not using bitlocker.
I almost always use the laptop plugged in, and the battery is always installed.
I've uninstalled the Asus instant on and power4go software programs.
Not sure why they are there anyways, seems to be redundant software that comes with Windows 8.
Been about a week now and no issues.
At least now, the battery is always fully charged, 100%. Wouldn't stay charged when running the Asus programs listed above.
So, I may be like a few other folks on this site that stopped using those software programs and the problem went away.
Well, let's hope anyway.

Professional
09-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Did you create deep freeze or similar app. after the format or restore?

Maciej
09-15-2013, 05:12 PM
So couple days of searching and uninstlling/installing software i've found interesting opinion on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R7AI0ASSXYP3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R7AI0ASSXYP3Y

I've installed an clean installation of nvidia drivers: version 314.22 and it works(includes physx 9.12.1031 drivers, audiohd 1.3.23.1 drivers and graphic drivers).

So the problems seems to be with new nvidia drivers.(Display driver nvlddmkm) including 320.49 WHQL even 326.80 Driver BETA doesnt work properly.

And the question remains: is this a problem of nvidia software or with asus hardware!!!!

Could someone from the Asus team answer of these problems? Do you have a clients for a fools. I remind you that these laptops wasnt cheap, (2000E).

bikenut
09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
I have not restored or done any kind of format related to my sudden shutdowns that I was experiencing.
Don't know what deep freeze is, sure don't use it.
My laptop has been running ok since I stopped using the Asus instant on and power2go apps.
I also stopped running the Asus usb power charger app. Other users did not list the app as a possible sourse of the problem, but I figured it's related to power, and I don't ever use my usb port to charge anything, so I disabled it and it dosen't load at startup.
So, in summary, this is what I've done to date:
Disabled hibernation via the DOS command prompt window (doesn't show up in any of the options now)
Uninstalled Asus apps - instant on, and power2go
Disabled Asus usb power charger app, never loads now. Will probably uninstall it, don't need it.

None of the software I've stopped using has changed my use of the laptop in any way, so, for me all that stuff is useless.
If my problem goes away, like others have found, I'm happy, and could care less about the Asus apps.

It's been almost a week with no problems with sudden shutdown.
Will monitor from now on, if the problem shows up again, I'll post a response here.
In other words, no news is good news.

With a few of the other issues I've dealt with, my view is, don't upgrade anything unless you have to.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stay away from new drivers an BIOS upgrades unless you know you need it.

Good luck to the others who are chasing this issue.