PDA

View Full Version : Your Honest Opinion On Your G750

iweber95
09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Just wondering what you guys' opinions about the ASUS G750 is. : )

Flea0
09-06-2013, 04:35 PM
it had a couple small issues when I received it, but two minutes with a screwdriver and a HDD upgrade fixed both. As is, I am very satisfied with my choice. The 120 hz glossy 3D screen makes much more a case for itself than I thought it would. I am not convinced with the headphone amplifier thing (I never get even close to maximum volume on a normal laptop anyway) and repasting it in a couple years might be a massive pain in the ass, but we will see. Gaming wise I have only started to scratch the surface, but I am basically very impressed with the 770M even with ASUS' obsolete drivers. My final opinion will depend on how well it will handle next gen console games such as watch gods and witcher 3.

Pros:
VERY solid feeling (except the disk drive), it hides its thickness well, screen, trackpad is huge and the buttons are quiet, metal palmrests, matte bezel, battery life, double storage bays allow me to get 9 second boot times with an SSD AND store truckloads of media.

Things I would change:
I wish my model came with ac WIFI.
I wish I could have a dummy battery cover to prevent dust from getting in and to protect the contacts since I'm always keeping the battery out unless I need to move it around.
I wish the blueray drive were slot loading or more solid when closed, since I hate grabbing the laptop to carry it around and feeling the tray flex under my left fingers. it makes the side of the laptop feel rather flimsy.
I wish it had a fn key somewhere on the right side of the keyboard too, since adjusting the volume is very hard to do one handed (and I have BIG hands) and using the media functions of the arrow keys IS impossible to do one handed. FYI, I'm using Sound Volume Hotkeys to bind ctrl+up and down to the volume controls.
I wish the JX had at least one msata slot.

iweber95
09-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Yeah two function keys would be nice. Also the dummy battery cover is a great idea because I also keep my battery out unless I'm moving it. Thanks for the input : )

B1g_Dav3
09-06-2013, 06:49 PM
This is my first 'expensive' laptop i.e. over 1,000 and to be honest I'm quite impressed. I bought a G750JW

I had an N55SF with the Bang & Olufsen speakers that this laptop can't touch audio wise although the amp is great for me as I have a set of Bose headphones that I very much like. I like how everything I wanted changed on that laptop is incorporated into my G750, bigger screen, larger trackpad, keyboard back lighting and so on. I know it's a little heavier, but it's not so much to me and is still portable on top of my Uni gear.

I decided I didn't need the GTX 770 or 780, as most of my gaming is older games such as Skyrim and the Sims, but the GT 555M wasn't fantastic in my old ASUS so decided to go for something a bit more dedicated.

I love the feel of it, the aluminium and the looks of it, as well as the dual hard drives that I'm working on replacing with an SSD or two :P

My only complaints are that this is my second laptop as my first had tons of red dots all over the screen that should have been picked up in quality control, and the 0.8ghz throttling on battery, but aside from that it's all smiles to me.

Maxter
09-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I have G750JW. I love it. My only issue was trying to update the GPU drivers. Fixed by installing nvidia latest beta drivers. Before this, I had the original G1S (the first generation ROG laptop). Asus has gone a long way trying to make the gaming laptop better. I am starting to like the fact that the laptop underclocks everything when on batteries. I know it bothers some people, but I'm not planning on gaming unless plugged in, so it doesn't really affect me. I used to game on batteries back in the day (original CS for 45 minutes outside under the sun - not worth it anymore, I like me a desk and some A/C). The underclocking makes the laptop battery last 4-6 hours depending on what you're doing. I've made it last 8 hours at my workplace with the screen turning off when I'm not at the desk. I don't even need to plug it in for work! The underclock doesn't really affect going online, youtube, facebook, etc. Everything still works smooth. The other thing I love is that it is VERY quiet. Even during intense gaming, you can't even hear the fans (on the G1S, it was rather loud). Temperatures are always below 50C (while the G1S the GPU reached 98C). Anyways, I'm in-love with my new ROG computer. Cheers!

iweber95
09-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes one of my favorite parts of the G750 is how quiet and cool it runs! I can stay up late gaming and my roommate cant even hear the computer running if he is trying to sleep.

derpcules
09-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I got what i paid for and more. Only problem I have is a sort of faulty powerbrick. It works but the metal in the cable is visible. The laptop itself is beyond expectations.

Guess i could complain about this forum too. Most of the complaints are due to stupidity and they refuse to listen to reason.

Symho
09-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I had sent my first G750 on RMA, now I have solved with another one, but this one has a prblem with headphone jack, because I ear a disturb when I play an audio source, the support tell me about a new RMA but I have noticed that the issue doesn't appear if I remove realtek's drive... I must understand where is it will be the problem after if is it an hardware problem... this pc is my last ASUS!

Myroslav
09-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Great opinion ^

bloowhalez
09-07-2013, 04:21 PM
this laptop is a dream. playing games with great detail and smooth framerates in your lap or on a big tv is amazing. it does so much for being a laptop. its better than a ps4 by far

iweber95
09-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes I was also impressed by how well the laptops actually run and how great of quality I can turn my games up to. I also agree with derpcules about most of the forum posts : / Symbo where did you order your laptop from?

Myroslav
09-07-2013, 08:35 PM
He is Italian with Chinese components; i would not recommend talking to that character lol

There are a few butthurts here, one with bestbuy giftcarded crap, the italian super smart kid and Dream with random issues... then there are a ton of people crying about displays, drivers, throttle, etc and then there is a whole following of retards with sound issues and lets not forget build quality professors/inspectors... And of course there are at least 4 fags that have not bought anything, but badmouth Asus for terrible product...

Anyone who has held g750 in hands and has bought it from a reliable store (hello bestbuy), will not have any issues and will be very happy with the product...

B1g_Dav3
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
My issue was just a quality control check really, aside from that I'm perfectly happy, having come from an ASUS I've had for near 2 years problem free, I'm happy with this one too :P

I would prefer it not to throttle so much, but to be honest it's such a major gripe.

Flea0
09-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Myroslav, I wouldn't go bashing other people's opinions so easily. The G750 is a premium laptop with premium components and people who spend more than 1600 on a laptop expect not just better performance, but also better overall quality than from the more mainstream product lines, because that is what Asus advertises.
Asus has delivered 99% of what it promised, but the 1% of people who are having problems are here to deal with them, the others aren't even going to bother coming to this forum except maybe to compare benchmarks and to look for new drivers, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, some people are extremely anal about minor details or lack the patience to fix one or two small issues, preferring the much more tedious RMA route, but most of them are probably complaining about an issue because they didn't experience it with their previous laptops. I found the hinge cover of my laptop hadn't been screwed on properly, so I fixed it, but it did show that whoever assembled mine did it in a lot of a hurry and nobody noticed the defect. that is slightly annoying.

Symho
09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
He is Italian with Chinese components; i would not recommend talking to that character lol

There are a few butthurts here, one with bestbuy giftcarded crap, the italian super smart kid and Dream with random issues... then there are a ton of people crying about displays, drivers, throttle, etc and then there is a whole following of retards with sound issues and lets not forget build quality professors/inspectors... And of course there are at least 4 fags that have not bought anything, but badmouth Asus for terrible product...

Anyone who has held g750 in hands and has bought it from a reliable store (hello bestbuy), will not have any issues and will be very happy with the product...

Ah, ah, ah, how many stupidities! Thank you comedian.

Symho
09-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes I was also impressed by how well the laptops actually run and how great of quality I can turn my games up to. I also agree with derpcules about most of the forum posts : / Symbo where did you order your laptop from?

I had ordered my pc by redcoon.it (Italy). I had 2 G74Sx and all of them have returned to ASUS! Also my first G750, now my second is ok but audio's headphone it is lower quality. Ah, I'm not a kid, I have 30 and with pc I must work so the reason of my "stiffness". My last VAIO doesn't had any problem...

Myroslav
09-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I had ordered my pc by redcoon.it (Italy). I had 2 G74Sx and all of them have returned to ASUS! Also my first G750, now my second is ok but audio's headphone it is lower quality. Ah, I'm not a kid, I have 30 and with pc I must work so the reason of my "stiffness". My last VAIO doesn't had any problem...

Your last VAIO also looked like a clutch purse and had performance of a TI-89 calculator. As well as overpaying around 300$ on average for Sony brand name.

I am sorry Italy has terrible distribution. Although you are the only one from that region who writes here. So it does not describe country as a whole. Italy does not even have a service center... My suggestions, is to stop writing in forums that is not read by anyone at Asus, and write a letter to Asus Italy corporate center in MIlan describing your experience and what you would like to change.

amanieux
09-08-2013, 05:19 PM
overall i would recommend it

+ good price/perf ratio
+ build quality
+ good gpu
+ discreet design for a gaming laptop (usally flashes in red or blue)
+ 2 big fans/heatsink for good cooling even under full gpu load
+ good keybord and buttons
-screen is grainy (matte is god but it has a grainy veil)
- when looking a sd video the fan is not silent, annoying i expected lower heat from 22nm/28nm !!
- audio quality through headphone plug is average (my macbook white is clearer)
- 2 first sdram slots are not easily accessible (buy a 16gb version if you want easy upgrade to 32gb)
- 750gb hdd (wd black) is very noisy
- 4gb version is made of 1*4gb instaed of 2*2gb (5.9 single channel ram index score instead of 7.9 and no option to disble this first 4gb in the bios)
- nvidia gpu always on (no optimus to switch to intel gpu for lower consumption and low fan noise when surfing the web)
- fan a little too noisy when just surfing the web (acceptable but not perfect)
- no affordable option with ssd (like 128gb ssd + hdd for data)
- no oc in the bios
- no easy migration from hdd to ssd (no boot after simple cloning from hhdd to ssd , still working on that, keep you informed)

iweber95
09-08-2013, 05:28 PM
- no affordable option with ssd (like 128gb ssd + hdd for data)

You can get a 128gb ssd for pretty cheap these days, also I got my Jx for 1900 and i thought it was a steal considering the screen quality the gpu and the ram.

PentiumCore
09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
this laptop is a dream. playing games with great detail and smooth framerates in your lap or on a big tv is amazing. it does so much for being a laptop. its better than a ps4 by far

I wouldn't take it that far but its definitely on par and beyond a PS3. Plays GTAIV on 70FPS+ maxed out. (v-sync off @ 1600x900) and BF3 plays flawlessly on ultra.

If you have a maxed out 750 (120Hz, GTX780 etc) then I'd like to believe it could keep up with the first few games that come out on PS4.

iweber95
09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Im not sure, I would say a ps4 might have a better GPU then G750's do.

Flea0
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
this is always a moot argument. On paper, the 770M performs better than a desktop 650 Ti which does 1.4 Tflops and slightly worse than a 660 which does 1.8 Tflops. The PS4 does 1.8 Tflops as well so yes the 770M cannot match it but the 780M can, ON PAPER. In reality, games will always be tailor made to have consistently good framerates on consoles, not on pcs.

Dream
09-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Hey now, I love my G750 JX. The only "issues" I had were after installing a non-ASUS video driver (direct from Nvidia). The crash happened twice ... and never again since. That was weeks ago, and the GPU has been pushed hard since, zero problems, and it still runs ultra cool.

Overall I'm extremely happy, both with ASUS and Pro-Star for customizing it just a bit, not to mention, ultra fast build and ship times. They even upgraded my already upgraded shipping at no extra charge when I told them I was traveling on the initial delivery date.

It would be great to have better driver support, and in a perfect world, Win 7 driver support, but it's not a huge deal. The hardware rocks, I can't wait to install twin SSDs, and I look forward to taking this PC around the world with me over the next 3-5 years.

The free 32GB cloud storage is great too. I use it to backup all of my ASUS and Win 7 downloads =).

-D

iweber95
09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah more win7 drivers would be nice but the PC world is moving to windows 8 and instead of avoiding win8 I think more people should just learn how to use it.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah more win7 drivers would be nice but the PC world is moving to windows 8 and instead of avoiding win8 I think more people should just learn how to use it.

Or they can make Windows 8 less annoying, or some one make a ton of addon programs to make it more useful (win 8 takes wayyy toooo many clicks to do anything)

raymondtankw
09-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Hi Guys,

I am about to plunge in to buy a G750JH which comes with 32GB DDR3 ram
But regarding the sticky in this forum, is it really necessary for me fork out more money to buy DDR3L (1.35V) to change out all my DDR3 (1.5V) ram so that it will be more compatible with the Haswell Chips?

Really confused about this now.

zalbard
09-10-2013, 01:42 AM
1.5V RAM is not compatible. If your laptop comes with 1.5V then it is quite frankly a scam.

raymondtankw
09-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi zalbard,

Thanks for reply.
Is there any way to tell if the rams installed are DDR3L type without opening up the laptop?

Thanks in advance.

patros
09-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Yup, if you look at the 1.35v sticky thread, you would know. Sometimes it's nice to just look you know? Welcome to the forum!

raymondtankw
09-10-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks all. I got the info from the sticky to look at the CPU-z SPD tab.

patros
09-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Most welcome! Cheers!

balundab
09-10-2013, 04:50 AM
windows 8 has grown on me and i am the opposite of touchy tablet fanboy crap. i like to see my files and file paths and directories so i had my windows 7 usb bootable in hand when i bought the g750 but i gsve it a chance and im actually pretty impressed with it. i just use the windows start menu like my windows 7 desktop, instead of folders on the desktop u just keep them in the new start menu. use the windows key like a hotkey for your desktop. leaves your real desktop nice and clean. i also deleted all that windows live crap too just to remove windows 8 attempts at my "intergration" lol. so far the rig has been a gem.

iweber95
09-10-2013, 02:28 PM
That's a great idea to use the start menu like a desktop, I might try that. The one thing about windows 8 that annoys my is how obviously it was made for touchscreens and tablets. It dosent really hinder my ability to use it, It just looks and feels annoying.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-10-2013, 04:46 PM
I have got 6 defective units in a row... so I really don't want to be biased. I honestly wish AsusTek cared, but apparently not. I am really thinking about abandoning Asus all together....

iweber95
09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
who did you buy through?

balundab
09-11-2013, 03:52 AM
ya man thats just redic. seriously 6? i mean thats border line statistically impossible. if its legit than its gotta be coming around to the point of being funny. maybe not for u but for others lol.

iweber95
09-11-2013, 05:56 AM
I feel really bad for him because now he is probably never going to experience the full joy that my G750 brought me : / I really hope that you can get something sorted out from ASUS and get you a working computer.

Symho
09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
I feel really bad for him because now he is probably never going to experience the full joy that my G750 brought me : / I really hope that you can get something sorted out from ASUS and get you a working computer.

Hi, your G750 has a problem with audio jack? When you plug in the headphone? I have this:

If I connect them to my Home theater I don't have any problem... If I remove driver realtek I have no problem, but subwoofer is it not activated. Do you think I must go to the assistance?

UnfairAwesomeness
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

I can't even sort it out with Asus, because half the time, the warranty is void before I even open the box. If i get another one, I will have to have a friend/relative get it from the store, because I was told either return it for store credit or keep it. Someone else on the Best Buy comments, didn't get one untill the 5th try, I'm past my 6th and i'm kicked from returns for awhile, omg i would hate to have gotten their GeekSquad warranty, I would have been broke, paying $430/replacement. I wonder if any1 else has had worse luck than me?

iweber95
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
but subwoofer is it not activated. Do you think I must go to the assistance?

Subwoofer is only active when you have the headphones out, and even then its not really noticeable. For good audio I recommend getting a good speaker set or a pair of nice headphones with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

Symho
09-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Subwoofer is only active when you have the headphones out, and even then its not really noticeable. For good audio I recommend getting a good speaker set or a pair of nice headphones with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

I contacted support and after various tests even with external speakers we have found that the audio jack produces the same sound. So... new RMA! :mad:

iweber95
09-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Ouch, I am really sorry to hear that : (

I hope everything works out for you in the end.

hmscott
09-12-2013, 12:10 AM

iweber95, try going into the Realtek HD Audio Manager systray application, and in the Speakers/Speaker Configuration area, use the "Internal Subwoofer" slider and reduce the Subwoofer setting all the way to the left - you will notice a big difference with no/low Subwoofer vs full volume on the Subwoofer.

kingfish
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
i test a cheap speaker here like $30, i can say difference if the sub is active on not...this is also true in headphones. if you want a quality sound, get a good set of speakers or headphone. :)

iweber95
09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes you are right, the sub-woofer actually makes a large difference, I guess i never knew because I always use headphones.

ttrevorbacon
09-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I have the G750 JW. Its solid. If you look into it you will find that updating the graphics card will be impossible without a donor machine as the graphics cards are modified specificaly for the G750 series for space and cooling and ASUS will not just sell you a new GPU. With that in mind upgrading to 16gb ram will run you another 150 and up to an SSD runs another 150+ depending on what you want to go for. As far as right out of the box the machine is really solid. I ran Starcraft 2 on max settings the other day in a 4v4 game to get the maximum stress and in the larger battles the machine only dropped down to 40 FPS which is fairly impressive. The GPU is really solid for overclocking though. With minimal tweaking I had that bad boy running at 60fps no problem. The keyboard has a great almost mechanical keyboard feel and with the separate heat sinks for both the gpu and the cpu its stays nice and cool. I am the type of guy who very often has alot of buyers remorse especially with computers however with the i74700hq processor and great load speeds right out of the gate I am really pretty happy with this machine. Do I wish I had 2Gs to drop on the top of the line G750? yes. However even at the lowest end model this machine is SOLID. I even ran a few benchmarks yesterday with Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe bridge, running a twitch stream and spotify all at once... just to see what the multi tasking was like. It took it like a champ. For the price this is a very solid machine. Just go To IBUYPOWER pc and build a laptop to the same specs and compare the price and you will see that finding a better laptop for the price is hard to do.

cronik916
09-20-2013, 08:52 AM
THIS THING IS F**CKING GG!!! I feel the same as u ttrevorbacon, i love it, its out preformed every expectation ive had. i got the 750jw from best buy at the start of the month. I needed something powerfull and portable for work, i do alot of cad/cam/engineering for my buisness and being a gamer all my life i knew exactly what i was intending to get out of the 750. honestly i was pretty amazed at this black beauty, out of the box the thing flew, looked cool imho and seriously doesnt get hot. i bought 2 8 gig ddr3 sticks with the laptop, best buy model came with 8gb total and a 5200rpm 1tb hdd, so i thought i would just jump the ram up and worry about the ssd later (if best buy had 1 i would have bought it too). ive thrown every major game at it, i partake in my share of pirating ;) to study the g750jw for SCIENCE i say! and its handled them with aplomb. today i got a brand new samsung 840pro and all i can say is wow. this thing is fater then my desktop rig with dual 660sc in sli a amd FX 8350 with sabertooth 990FX mobo and 16gb ram. the first intel cpu ive owned since the pentium 4 lol. ive been a big AMD guy, and back in the day AMD was really where gaming power was at but the i7 is just wow mode. i coldnt tell if it was windows 8 that was giving this g750 a boost or the i7 but it is noticeble the speed overall. i would honestly advise every computer buff on the planet to drop the 250 for the samsung 840pro. the thing fu**king screams speed. everything is near instant. its amazing and ive been so impressed i thought i would give back a little love and rant about my awe on these here forums. so in closing buy this if u want a seriously bad ass, virtually quiet, ice cold, portable powerhouse. BUY the 840 pro, just consider it a part of the cost of the laptop and buy 1. its amazing. cheers all putting down my rant bull horn :)

iweber95
09-21-2013, 04:29 PM
THIS THING IS F**CKING GG!!! I feel the same as u ttrevorbacon, i love it, its out preformed every expectation ive had. i got the 750jw from best buy at the start of the month. I needed something powerfull and portable for work, i do alot of cad/cam/engineering for my buisness and being a gamer all my life i knew exactly what i was intending to get out of the 750. honestly i was pretty amazed at this black beauty, out of the box the thing flew, looked cool imho and seriously doesnt get hot. i bought 2 8 gig ddr3 sticks with the laptop, best buy model came with 8gb total and a 5200rpm 1tb hdd, so i thought i would just jump the ram up and worry about the ssd later (if best buy had 1 i would have bought it too). ive thrown every major game at it, i partake in my share of pirating ;) to study the g750jw for SCIENCE i say! and its handled them with aplomb. today i got a brand new samsung 840pro and all i can say is wow. this thing is fater then my desktop rig with dual 660sc in sli a amd FX 8350 with sabertooth 990FX mobo and 16gb ram. the first intel cpu ive owned since the pentium 4 lol. ive been a big AMD guy, and back in the day AMD was really where gaming power was at but the i7 is just wow mode. i coldnt tell if it was windows 8 that was giving this g750 a boost or the i7 but it is noticeble the speed overall. i would honestly advise every computer buff on the planet to drop the 250 for the samsung 840pro. the thing fu**king screams speed. everything is near instant. its amazing and ive been so impressed i thought i would give back a little love and rant about my awe on these here forums. so in closing buy this if u want a seriously bad ass, virtually quiet, ice cold, portable powerhouse. BUY the 840 pro, just consider it a part of the cost of the laptop and buy 1. its amazing. cheers all putting down my rant bull horn :)

REALLY GLAD YOU GUYS LIKE THIS!!!!

I have heard tons on issues that people are having with the JW and its really really great to hear some more positive feed back! I am also so impressed by how powerful and fast my jx is its really amazing! I could not be any happier! Thanks ASUS

gebba123
09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
The build quality feels good but mine had some broken plastic pins on the bottom plate when i got it and my escepe button need to be pressed really hard to work.
So the quality could be better for the price you pay however i owned a msi ge70 and that felt even worse.

The cooling is what i like the most about this computer.

sylvain rodrigue
09-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to have a nice developer laptop. I'm using Visual Studio with WPF, ASP, SQL Server. Wanted something that rocks (Visual Studio need CPU) and a large screen. Most of my developments are done on virtual machines. Oh, also : wanted something to play CoD Black Ops II every night or so :)

hmscott
09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Just wanted to have a nice developer laptop. I'm using Visual Studio with WPF, ASP, SQL Server. Wanted something that rocks (Visual Studio need CPU) and a large screen. Most of my developments are done on virtual machines. Oh, also : wanted something to play CoD Black Ops II every night or so :)

Sounds about like my usage :)

DId you swap in an SSD yet? It really makes the VM's fly like there is nothing holding them back. And builds go a lot quicker too :)

kingfish
09-24-2013, 05:23 AM
when i first saw the partition of drive, c was very small. so i resize it. still i have like 40+ gb as another partition of the ssd. so far mine is ok, no problem with anything or any issues. even the 3D movies are playing well. as far as my work is concern, the performance is acceptable but i haven't tried to use it to the max.

regarding games, i only play PES and NFS. :) it performed well for me. :)