PDA

View Full Version : G74 Touchpad issues

kring17
08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Just bought a g74s and i'm having trouble with the touchpad. the first couple of hours it was fine but then suddenly it became unresponsive and running around randomly across the screen. pretty annoying! is this a known bug and is there some kind of a solution?

xeromist
08-26-2011, 07:02 PM
The first thing that I would do is try reinstalling the ATK package from the ASUS website for the g74. Uninstall it first if you can. If it does not get fixed with software then I would take it to the store, show them, and ask for an exchange.

Paul3x
08-31-2011, 07:13 AM
I started seeing the same issue a few days after purchasing my G74S - very dissappointing.

I've tried reinstalling the ATK and touchpad drivers but it did not help. The curor still jumps about randomnly when I move it.

Paul3x
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I have changed absolutely nothing, I have not even rebooted since my post yesterday (maybe just set my computer to sleep over the night) and my touchpad is working again, no skips/jumping. Very strange but I expect the problem will reappear in the future. :(

wildnut
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I was very frustrated with the G74 touchpad. I thought that I'd bought a very nice laptop with a keyboard/mouse that was totally screwed up. The mouse would jump all over the place, etc. What I found out, however, is that the touchpad driver was screwed up and therefore I could not properly configure the touchpad. My G74 uses the Sentinel driver. To see if that is your problem, go to Control Panel, Mouse, Finger Sensing Pad and then Configure. If the Configure doesn't open (as mine would not), then you need to uninstall and reinstall the latest Sentinel driver until the Configure button does open. Once you're into the Configuration, go to Enable/Disable Touchpad and choose to Disable Touchpad while Typing. Additionally, expand the + to the left of Typing Detection and change the Reactivation Time to something like 1.5 seconds. This tells the touchpad to stay disabled until you've stopped typing for 1.5 seconds. Choose a longer/shorter time depending upon what you want. I personally also went to On Pad Functions and also disabled On Pad Click - but I may re-enable it later. Then, of course, click Ok

This has solved my problem with the sporadic, frustrating and disappointing Touchpad issues and I hope that it will resolve yours as well.

jessyfuchs
10-05-2011, 06:26 AM
i've got the same problem, less then a couple of days after i got the laptop.... i,ll try with the configuration of sentinel...

Azzazel
10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I have another problem, when i activate the option for 'disable touchpad when usb mouse is inserted' after some random time , my touchpad automatically get activated even though i'm still using my mouse...

bestko
10-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I have solved it:
1. Uninstall all touchpad drivers via control panel / mouse / hardware
2. Restart computer
3. Download this: http://www.uloz.to/10572474/64-zip
4. run setup.exe and install it
5. restart computer
6. control panel / mouse / device settings / disable internal poin...(mark it)
--(i recommend give synaptics icon in the taskbar, because if a disabling of touchpad dont work, you can disable it manualy when you have connected external mouse)--

I will complete my message if I try some things and it will be work on 100%

customchevy_350
10-17-2011, 01:51 AM
this fixes the sporatic movement? Is this a hardware problem or a driver problem? Mine is getting worse. Now it thinks i always have 2 fingers on it?

midihooker
10-17-2011, 04:02 AM
we all have this problem.. i have a g73sw and itīs the same problem.. there are hundreds of posts about this here and on other forums.. nothing seem to fix it..

midihooker
10-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Just bought a g74s and i'm having trouble with the touchpad. the first couple of hours it was fine but then suddenly it became unresponsive and running around randomly across the screen. pretty annoying! is this a known bug and is there some kind of a solution?

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems

BrodyBoy
10-17-2011, 06:06 AM
this fixes the sporatic movement? Is this a hardware problem or a driver problem? Mine is getting worse. Now it thinks i always have 2 fingers on it?
If you've been seeing that same jumpy, glitchy behavior regardless of configuration, it's a hardware problem.....a well-known issue that's plagued the G73 for a long time. The only confirmed-to-actually-work solution involves opening the case to access the back of the touchpad and clearing away the tape and adhesives that cause this. You can knock your head against the wall from here to forever trying different drivers and software tricks, but they will simply not resolve this particular problem.

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I would love to know what would happen if someone was to use DPC Latency checker to check for driver latency both before and after doing this crap removal from their G73.

I can't think of any way in hell to explain it if the tape, foil, adhesive DID cause the appearance of driver latency, but stranger things have happened.

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2011, 07:06 PM

PM me your contact info, serial number, address, and such so I can setup an RMA for that trackpad.

BrodyBoy
10-18-2011, 06:06 AM
I would love to know what would happen if someone was to use DPC Latency checker to check for driver latency both before and after doing this crap removal from their G73.

I can't think of any way in hell to explain it if the tape, foil, adhesive DID cause the appearance of driver latency, but stranger things have happened.
Can you elaborate a bit? I'm not sure what you mean about driver latency as it relates to the erratic touchpads. I could probably do whatever tests you're referring to if you actually thought it would yield some useful information. But again, I don't understand the driver latency connection.

midihooker
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Can you elaborate a bit? I'm not sure what you mean about driver latency as it relates to the erratic touchpads. I could probably do whatever tests you're referring to if you actually thought it would yield some useful information. But again, I don't understand the driver latency connection.

it was me that noticed smoother touchpad operation when shutting of the GTX driver.. the GTX driver causing terrible latency..as i wrote in a thread.. but..i could be wrong about the relation of course..

JRd1st
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Can you elaborate a bit? I'm not sure what you mean about driver latency as it relates to the erratic touchpads. I could probably do whatever tests you're referring to if you actually thought it would yield useful information. But again, I don't understand the driver latency connection.

Midihooker has an awful touchpad problem. We were trying to troubleshoot it using DPC latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml when he found out that he had a HUGE driver latency on his notebook. He checked everything and finally found that disabling his video card drivers totally fixed the latency, and interestingly his touchpad is now working better than ever.

What I was curious about was whether removing the tape from the g73 would cause the latency peaks to go away. (If you're familiar with DPC latency checker, midihooker had a solid red 4000 microsecond indication, which is unusual.)

BTW, the reason driver latency got involved in all this was because we found that the Atheros wifi drivers that the notebooks ship with has latency peaks that cause problems when the wifi card is enabled. It caused the appearance of mouse/touchpad stuttering on my g74 when I first got it, which was the reason I did a clean install since I didn't know exactly what was causing the problem.

BrodyBoy
10-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation. :) I didn't know that about the Atheros driver....no wonder people have so much trouble with it.

I'll have to play around with that DPC program....I've never used it. A new toy!

BrodyBoy
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
BTW, the reason driver latency got involved in all this was because we found that the Atheros wifi drivers that the notebooks ship with has latency peaks that cause problems when the wifi card is enabled. It caused the appearance of mouse/touchpad stuttering on my g74 when I first got it, which was the reason I did a clean install since I didn't know exactly what was causing the problem.
Okay....I'm not sure I'm glad I discovered DPC Latency Checker! I've been trying it out on various systems in my house...and the only one that shows spikes is the G74. Specifically, it appears when navigating to new web pages (in both Firefox and IE), and I believe I've narrowed it down to the Intel WLAN driver. I've tried several versions of the driver, both driver-only and full ProSet, but as soon as any of them becomes active, the problem resumes. I compared to an N73 that's using the exact same Intel card and driver, and that one never spikes at all.

JRd1st...you use an Intel card and driver, right? Have you seen anything like this?

JRd1st
10-19-2011, 08:47 PM
No, my latency is way down in the low 200's. I'm afraid to try it on our family desktop. That one has a USB wifi adpter. Lol

The Atheros driver had spikes just sitting there, doing nothing. Maybe it's not so bad when something is working for it to show an occasional spike. Did you read past the download button on the dpc latency page. I just skimmed it...

BrodyBoy
10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Lol! Yeah, I read it. I'll have to research a little further to see of this is as detrimental as implied.

Chastity@ASUS
10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Could be the AV/Firewall lagging the Wifi access

BrodyBoy
10-20-2011, 01:07 AM
It actually seems to perform okay. (I wouldn't have suspected any WLAN problem had I not started playing with DPC.) This G74 system also runs the same security software as the N73 that doesn't exhibit the latency spikes. Any idea what setting in Norton could affect this?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Norton? Ahhhhhhhh........

BrodyBoy
10-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Ahhhh..... ;)

I've used it for years, never any problems. Do you have a suggestion about the latency spikes as they might relate to Norton, or anything else?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 01:42 AM
I haven't used Norton for years. But I once found it causing too much lag and when I tried to uninstall it it wouldn't go easily. I swore "never again!"

I don't have any idea how it is these days, but I wouldn't be surprised...

midihooker
10-20-2011, 04:50 AM
latency spikes yes.. nvidia card??

BrodyBoy
10-20-2011, 06:10 AM
I haven't used Norton for years. But I once found it causing too much lag and when I tried to uninstall it it wouldn't go easily. I swore "never again!"

I don't have any idea how it is these days, but I wouldn't be surprised...
It's actually much better than those old days. Much like Microsoft's software, it kept getting bigger and bigger and begun to sag (and lag) under its own weight. But it's now a very efficient suite of security programs. Installation and removal are easy (I remember the old, old days of having to uninstall before upgrading to new versions), it runs unintrusively and (most importantly) effectively. I use it and routinely recommend it. :)

BrodyBoy
10-20-2011, 06:34 AM
latency spikes yes.. nvidia card??
Having just read about your experience with the Nvidia driver, that was my first suspicion. But I checked that out thoroughly and the spikes didn't correlate to video activity, or to that driver. I guess the end result was similar, but the cause was different, on our two systems.

I gotta say....I've been using, buying, building, and repairing computers for almost 30 years, and I can honestly say I've never seen one this prone to issues right out of the box. Browsing around on this forum, you can find owners trying to troubleshoot problems with virtually every component in the G74. Brand new computers! And no, the "new tech" excuse doesn't wash. The model may be new, but laptops have had display cards and WLAN cards and touchpads and keyboards and hard drives and BIOSes and chipsets and USB ports for a long time now. The G74 isn't some super-elite Italian sportscar that you shouldn't buy unless you've got a live-in mechanic. It's just a laptop computer, and a relatively expensive one at that, and owners should not be seeing all these problems the minute they turn it on. When it works, it's great. But there are way too many instances when it doesn't.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Having just read about your experience with the Nvidia driver, that was my first suspicion. But I checked that out thoroughly and the spikes didn't correlate to video activity, or to that driver. I guess the end result was similar, but the cause was different, on our two systems.

I gotta say....I've been using, buying, building, and repairing computers for almost 30 years, and I can honestly say I've never seen one this prone to issues right out of the box. Browsing around on this forum, you can find owners trying to troubleshoot problems with virtually every component in the G74. Brand new computers! And no, the "new tech" excuse doesn't wash. The model may be new, but laptops have had display cards and WLAN cards and touchpads and keyboards and hard drives and BIOSes and chipsets and USB ports for a long time now. The G74 isn't some super-elite Italian sportscar that you shouldn't buy unless you've got a live-in mechanic. It's just a laptop computer, and a relatively expensive one at that, and owners should not be seeing all these problems the minute they turn it on. When it works, it's great. But there are way too many instances when it doesn't.

Tell me about it. That's what pisses me off. It feels like they designed this thing, picked a bunch of devices, stuck them in, picked a bunch of drivers and then they said "This should work. Ship it!" All without checking to see if it work nicely.

How many problems can something have "out of the box" before you say "WTF!?"

That Atheros driver, which is STILL on the Asus G74 page since March, is proof positive.

And YES, there IS something wrong with some drivers on the Asus page!

jamesh
10-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Well how incredibly disappointing. I'm having the same problems that so many others are reporting. Just got my G74S in late September and noticed this problem right out of the gate. Touchpad freezes up, Touchpad goes hogwild occasionally, Touchpad drops cursor to other windows sporadically and consistently, touchpad spontaneously makes other windows active... I see reports dating back over a year reporting this issue with comments from ASUS reps that "we're working on this".. Is it still being worked on? Am I correct in assuming that the only real solution to this problem is to crack the thing open and clear up a bunch of junk manually? Am I correct in saying that ASUS has known about this issue and continued to ship notebooks despite that?

Just typing this comment I've had the cursor jump to other points in the paragraph twice, which then makes me have to stop, fix whatever I just typed in the middle of the sentence, reposition the cursor, etc.. This happens constantly. Is it just not a big deal to ASUS that we drop a couple grand on a laptop and have these problems plague us? I've yet to see any definitive answer from an ASUS rep. I've been a champion of ASUS laptops. My last laptop was great despite some weird glitches, including all but 2 of my USB ports completely failing. ASUS is rapidly declining in equipment I would buy or suggest. It's even more infuriating the lack of responsiveness.

Very disappointing.

dstrakele
10-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Am I correct in assuming that the only real solution to this problem is to crack the thing open and clear up a bunch of junk manually? Am I correct in saying that ASUS has known about this issue and continued to ship notebooks despite that?

Unfortunately, from what I've read concerning erratic cursor behavior, the answer is "YES". This particular behavior does not appear to be resolved by updating the touchpad driver. The resolution involves either ASUS removing the tape and adhesive via an RMA, or you doing it with the potential of harming your system and then having to pay someone else to fix it.

I would attempt an exchange for a new G74SX since your system is about 1 month old. From my limited experience, the manufacturers of these gamng laptops with fancy hardware specs at budget prices (ASUS, MSI, etc.) have poor quality control and use lower quality components where they can to cut costs and remain competitive.

I believe you can get a system without issues (I think I have one), but it may involve several exchanges. I also believe manufacturers like Apple, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc., can produce lemons, but they have better quality control (and you will pay for it) so you are less likely to encounter issues. However, I specifically remember a Dell case where they shipped thousands of systems with bad capacitors: http://news.cnet.com/PCs-plagued-by-bad-capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html I see this issue also affected Apple iMacs.

BrodyBoy
10-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Well how incredibly disappointing. I'm having the same problems that so many others are reporting. Just got my G74S in late September and noticed this problem right out of the gate. Touchpad freezes up, Touchpad goes hogwild occasionally, Touchpad drops cursor to other windows sporadically and consistently, touchpad spontaneously makes other windows active... I see reports dating back over a year reporting this issue with comments from ASUS reps that "we're working on this".. Is it still being worked on? Am I correct in assuming that the only real solution to this problem is to crack the thing open and clear up a bunch of junk manually? Am I correct in saying that ASUS has known about this issue and continued to ship notebooks despite that?
Very disappointing.
You're correct....except for one thing. It's not certain that the manual clean-up resolves it, after all.

Believe me, I understand your disappointment. Everything else about the laptop seems so nice, but that's such a glaring flaw.....it impedes the basic usability of the computer when it's happening. Asus' "official" response....which is their default response to every single problem every owner ever encounters..."update the drivers" or "update the BIOS" is a joke. They know damn well that there is no software/firmware fix for this, so even implying as much is deceptive and insulting.....a complete waste of time that sends owners running around in circles trying some new "beta" this or that bull****.

To be clear, I've seen this issue persist through:
- Asus' OEM installation
- Clean Windows installation
- Every Sentelic driver update
- No Sentelic driver (just using the Win 7 mouse driver)
- BIOS updates
- ATK updates
And I've seen it on more than one G74. It is NOT a software issue.

Some other owners will suggest "just use an external mouse." Or better yet, "it's a gaming laptop...they don't expect you to use the touchpad!" That's ridiculous. The basic hardware should work. (If the display was all fubar, no one would suggest "just get an HDMI cable and plug it into your TV.")

Send it back, jamesh. Try another if you want, but don't waste a second of your time trying/hoping to fix that one. As JRd1st pointed out today, nobody's paying us to be testers.

jamesh
10-21-2011, 04:28 PM
You're correct....except for one thing. It's not certain that the manual clean-up resolves it, after all.

Believe me, I understand your disappointment. Everything else about the laptop seems so nice, but that's such a glaring flaw.....it impedes the basic usability of the computer when it's happening. Asus' "official" response....which is their default response to every single problem every owner ever encounters..."update the drivers" or "update the BIOS" is a joke. They know damn well that there is no software/firmware fix for this, so even implying as much is deceptive and insulting.....a complete waste of time that sends owners running around in circles trying some new "beta" this or that bull****.

To be clear, I've seen this issue persist through:
- Asus' OEM installation
- Clean Windows installation
- Every Sentelic driver update
- No Sentelic driver (just using the Win 7 mouse driver)
- BIOS updates
- ATK updates
And I've seen it on more than one G74. It is NOT a software issue.

Some other owners will suggest "just use an external mouse." Or better yet, "it's a gaming laptop...they don't expect you to use the touchpad!" That's ridiculous. The basic hardware should work. (If the display was all fubar, no one would suggest "just get an HDMI cable and plug it into your TV.")

Send it back, jamesh. Try another if you want, but don't waste a second of your time trying/hoping to fix that one. As JRd1st pointed out today, nobody's paying us to be testers.

That's ominous sounding. I'm a day into researching this so i kind of assumed there would be some kind of software fix, but from what you're saying, it sounds as though ASUS knows the root problem of this is unfix-able, which in turn suggests they're keeping users running around in circles getting them used to workarounds and holding out hope for soft solutions while their warranties and return periods expire so they don't have to incur the expense which would arise from a massive hardware recall.

Are there any forums/threads in which the ASUS reps actually seem to be paying attention, and address these concerns and worries?

I can't believe users are willing to dismiss the issue by proclaiming it a gaming laptop or telling you to use an external mouse. Ridiculous sentiment. The type of thing users say when trying to justify the fact that they just threw two grand at a laptop which has an ugly, elementary hardware failure.

One last thing: from what I've read, this happens with the g73 too right? And that uses a different kind of touchpad but an identical chassis, right? Synaptic? That suggests to me an elementary hardware configuration being the problem.

ASUS REPS: WHERE ARE YOU?? WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET? WHY IS THIS PROBLEM STILL OCCURRING?
-J

JRd1st
10-21-2011, 04:56 PM
" Are there any forums/threads in which the ASUS reps actually seem to be paying attention, and address these concerns and worries?"

Yeah, THIS forum. It might not seem it, because you're new, I think, but Chastity is on top of this and she's doing everything she possibly can to get Asus off its collective ass to address this issue. This won't be a software fix, though. At the least, people will need to have the offending materials removed from their TP's.

jamesh
10-21-2011, 06:22 PM
" Are there any forums/threads in which the ASUS reps actually seem to be paying attention, and address these concerns and worries?"

Yeah, THIS forum. It might not seem it, because you're new, I think, but Chastity is on top of this and she's doing everything she possibly can to get Asus off its collective ass to address this issue. This won't be a software fix, though. At the least, people will need to have the offending materials removed from their TP's.

I've read close to half a dozen threads on the subject. Maybe I'm missing a key one. What is she doing to get ASUS to address the issue? Since they have not done anything does that mean she's essentially powerless to affect any real action? It doesn't seem like ASUS is particularly interested in solving this problem.

I just updated the Sentelic driver to 9.1.7.7. Rendered my touchpad completely unusable. Guess I'll roll it back

So, my options regarding this brand new laptop are to either return it to Amazon for an exchange and pray that I don't get another lemon, RMA it to ASUS and pray they address the problem and that their solution actually works, or pray that at this point I can get a refund.

I hate to be one of those guys, but Holy crap I'm disillusioned with ASUS.

James

jamesh
10-21-2011, 06:24 PM

BrodyBoy - could you clarify this for me: have reports surfaced that getting whatever this gunk is cleaned out doesn't actually solve the problem after all?

If you RMA something with a problem like this, do you get a new laptop or do they just swap out the faulty component or otherwise fix the issue? It takes me days to configure a laptop the way I like it, and I Have hundreds of gigabytes of data on this that I suppose I'll have to back up.

J

xeromist
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Since they have not done anything does that mean she's essentially powerless to affect any real action? It doesn't seem like ASUS is particularly interested in solving this problem.

She's a new employee. Up until recently she was just another customer and volunteer. Give her a chance to take a crack at it now that she's actually on the inside.

jamesh
10-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Midihooker has an awful touchpad problem. We were trying to troubleshoot it using DPC latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml when he found out that he had a HUGE driver latency on his notebook. He checked everything and finally found that disabling his video card drivers totally fixed the latency, and interestingly his touchpad is now working better than ever.

What I was curious about was whether removing the tape from the g73 would cause the latency peaks to go away. (If you're familiar with DPC latency checker, midihooker had a solid red 4000 microsecond indication, which is unusual.)

Okay wait.. I have these g74s problems also with the touchpad jumping around sporadically and causing weird window focus problems.. I have the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter. Should i update that driver? Where do I update it? Do you have a link? Is there some other driver updates or uninstallations that I can do? I'm incredibly frustrated and incensed about this problem.

Thanks so much for your help,
James

JRd1st
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Look here for more current updates - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Atheros 9.2.1.432 will fix at least one problem.

Forums are to be read, too. Remember that. :-)

BrodyBoy
10-21-2011, 08:05 PM
BrodyBoy - could you clarify this for me: have reports surfaced that getting whatever this gunk is cleaned out doesn't actually solve the problem after all?

If you RMA something with a problem like this, do you get a new laptop or do they just swap out the faulty component or otherwise fix the issue? It takes me days to configure a laptop the way I like it, and I Have hundreds of gigabytes of data on this that I suppose I'll have to back up.

J
Yeah, the report that has surfaced is mine! ;) We're on our second G74 with a bad touchpad. I did the touchpad clean-up and it helped for awhile, but the problem has resumed just in the past couple days. I've had it apart again and tried various other approaches.....different methods of grounding, no grounding, shielding around it (though not adhered), etc. So far, I can't say anything has proven to be a permanent fix yet.

To answer another question you asked....yes, the G73 has been plagued with this issue since release. It's not an identical chassis...the G74 is a substanbtial redesign. The G74 ships with either a Synaptics or Sentelic TP.....I believe the G73 just had Synaptics.

Asus has never, AFAIK, even acknowledged the design/assembly flaw in the G73. After a lot of frustrated owners spent months trying various drivers and other BS that didn't work, including RMAs to Asus, some started looking at the hardware themselves. There were owners who reported that cleaning the extraneous pieces of tape & adhesive from the back of the TP finally resolved the issue. When I discovered the very same problem in the G74, I was hopeful that the same fix would work, even though the TP and design are not the same.

It did work for awhile. We have about a week left in our return period on this one, and we're trying to decide whether to get another (and hope the third time's a charm), keep trying to repair this one, or look for something else entirely.

The problem with RMAing it is that I don't think there's any reasonable assurance it'll actually get fixed. As you know, the problem can be intermittent. There are reports that people send their laptop in for service, a tech doesn't see the problem, and simply sends it back. I would be furious if they did that. Or if they replace the TP but simply install it to the original spec and recreate the same issue in the new one.

So now you know why I suggest you not waste your time trying to resolve this yourself. Amazon will take it back and issue a refund very quickly. If you want to try another, moving all that data is a bit of a pain, but believe me, it's worth it if you can avoid all this hassle and just get one that works properly.

EDIT: Regarding another of your questions...no other drivers, Atheros or otherwise, that can address this issue. It's purely a hardware problem with the touchpad itself.

JRd1st
10-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't think there's any sense in getting another G74. I bet they all have this issue. Luckily, mine is setup in a desktop and I use a mouse, otherwise I'd be worried right now.

BrodyBoy
10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I just updated the Sentelic driver to 9.1.7.7. Rendered my touchpad completely unusable. Guess I'll roll it back

James
I had the very same experience. Apparently, some folks do like this one, but I rolled back after about ten minutes.

One thing I'd like clarification on, from some other owners:

It seems like many owners who say they've never had a problem with their G74 touchpad, after weeks of ownership, mention that they also use external mouse/input set-ups. Given the intermittent nature of this problem, and especially the fact that it tends to start acting up after a period of use, I don't consider those units to be "proven" trouble-free. They could very well have this problem and the owner just isn't aware of it. Are there many owners out there who have used the touchpad and keyboard for input...exclusively...for several weeks (let's say a month or more), and never seen their touchpad exhibit erratic behavior?

dstrakele
10-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I had the very same experience. Apparently, some folks do like this one, but I rolled back after about ten minutes.

One thing I'd like clarification on, from some other owners:

It seems like many owners who say they've never had a problem with their G74 touchpad, after weeks of ownership, mention that they also use external mouse/input set-ups. Given the intermittent nature of this problem, and especially the fact that it tends to start acting up after a period of use, I don't consider those units to be "proven" trouble-free. They could very well have this problem and the owner just isn't aware of it. Are there many owners out there who have used the touchpad and keyboard for input...exclusively...for several weeks (let's say a month or more), and never seen their touchpad exhibit erratic behavior?

I've been using my G74SX-A1 every day, all day since 9/9/2011 and have never experienced any erratic cursor behavior on my Selentic touchpad. I have never used an external mouse on this system.

For the first 5 days, I never shut the system down and tried to keep it busy to see if any issues developed. I've configured it not to Sleep or Hibernate when plugged in. In my typical use now, I start it every morning between 6:00 and 6:30 AM, and use it until about 11:00 PM, when I shut it down.

I'm thinking the erratic behavior results not only from tape and adhesive on the back of the pad, but there are bad touchpad units as well. Another idea is that the static discharges from the tape and adhesive damage the touchpad. I know that a static discharge is capable of damaging electronic components, but I don't know if that is what's happening in this case.

AFAIK, this issue exists with both Synaptics and Selentic touchpads. Is that correct?

jamesh
10-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Forums are to be read, too. Remember that. :-)

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Really thanks for the link though. :)

J

JRd1st
10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
... Another idea is that the static discharges from the tape and adhesive damage the touchpad. I know that a static discharge is capable of damaging electronic components, but I don't know if that is what's happening in this case.

I was thinking the same thing! That guy that got a "severe shock" from his W key got me thinking. It HAS to be static because it's a plastic keyboard. Maybe the rubberized finish on the case is the root of the problem.

BrodyBoy
10-21-2011, 11:11 PM
In comparison to the grounding methods I see when I open up my N73, the G74 does seem to skimp a bit. But the keyboard/top cover assembly does actually seem pretty well grounded to me. Note that the keyboard top surface is metal, and it's backed by metal as well. A lot of M/B screws go through and complete the ground connection between all these components.

BrodyBoy
10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I've been using my G74SX-A1 every day, all day since 9/9/2011 and have never experienced any erratic cursor behavior on my Selentic touchpad. I have never used an external mouse on this system.
Thanks very much for that....it's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm thinking the erratic behavior results not only from tape and adhesive on the back of the pad, but there are bad touchpad units as well. Another idea is that the static discharges from the tape and adhesive damage the touchpad. I know that a static discharge is capable of damaging electronic components, but I don't know if that is what's happening in this case.

AFAIK, this issue exists with both Synaptics and Selentic touchpads. Is that correct?I believe so, but I'm not sure. I, too, have considered your theory about static causing permanent damage to the touchpad or its circuitry. That could possibly explain why mine continues to have problems despite clean-up.

BrodyBoy
10-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Thanks again for sharing your experience. A quick follow-up question:

Do you switch much between battery and A/C? What percentage of the time would you guesstimate you use it on battery power?

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 07:04 AM
I've used the machine on battery power 3 times where I ran it down to the first warning at 11%. I get about 2.5 hours per charge. Then I plugged it in. I've noticed no difference in behavior while on battery.

I'm using the touchpad much more in my daily use than the keyboard. I'm switching between windows of multiple real time charts on my trading platform. That's why I appreciatel the 3 finger push to Aero 3D Flip mode. It makes switching between different charts and the Browser windows easier. Zooming in and out on those charts, adding trendlines, channels and other drawings to the charts - all using the touchpad. I also switch between multiple web pages and scroll articles on those pages, zoom in on some pages.

BrodyBoy
10-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Okay, thanks. I was just trying to assess whether there might be any correlation between power source and touchpad behavior.

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 07:18 AM
One thing I may do differently is shut my system down completely each night. I also typically wait for 5 minutes or more before I logon to Windows. I want everything that can be loaded prior to logon loaded before I logon. I don't believe these actions would have any effect on touchpad behavior, however.

I believe your efforts in grounding are probably more likely to identify the cause of erratic cursor behavior. And I still would not eliminate the possibility that your touchpad is damaged in some fashion.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm wondering if maybe the chassis isn't really grounded. And even if it is, and there's a large static buildup, where would it go if the notebook is on battery?

BrodyBoy, I just had an idea, tape a piece of that antistatic plastic over your touchpad surface. See if that works . . . hopefully it doesn't also block your finger's capacitance. lol

Chastity@ASUS
10-24-2011, 10:21 PM
BrodyBoy:

Why don't you let me look at it?

BrodyBoy
10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Hmm. (It;s my son's primary computer, so it'll be his decision about keeping, returning, etc.) You have one you're working on, right? How's the progress with that one?

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 12:03 AM
BrodyBoy, I just had an idea, tape a piece of that antistatic plastic over your touchpad surface. See if that works . . . hopefully it doesn't also block your finger's capacitance. lol
Beat you to it! ;) (Or did you mean to put it over the top? Haven't tried anything like that.)

Here's a recent post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems&p=37622&viewfull=1#post37622) describing the current configuration. I have a a makeshift "shield" protecting the back of the TP right now. Unfortunately, it has gone erratic once or twice with that setup, so that's not it. I really think it comes down to excess capacitance slowly building up during use. Gotta figure out how that happens.....

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I meant over the top where you touch the pad.

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 12:21 AM
If it's so fubar you can't touch it normally, it's too fubar to keep! While looking for a new laptop to replace his beloved Toshiba that died in January, he used my N73 for about seven months before finding the G74. Same person, same habits, same usage style, and he never once had this issue on the N73. (Nor have I.) So I've ruled out "staticky user weirdness" or "dirty fingers" or anything like that. It's definitely just an issue with the way Asus has implemented capacitive touchpads in the G73 and G74.

I'm wondering if maybe the chassis isn't really grounded. And even if it is, and there's a large static buildup, where would it go if the notebook is on battery?
Yeah, I want to take another good, hard look at that. What if the touchpad is well grounded to the keybaord backing, but that isn't properly grounded to anything else? I'll let you know if I find anything suspicious.

EDIT: He was actually just using it a few minutes ago, running on A/C and sitting on the table, and it started acting up. Guess it's not only on battery.....

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Did Asus make notebooks with rubberized cases before the G53, G73, and G74's?

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 01:35 AM
I couldn't say. I don't necessarily think that's it though. In my "research," I've found that this isn't exclusive to Asus. In the past 2-3 years, since capacitive touchpads have become standard, other manufacturers have also released models with the same problem. Just last night, I was reading owner complaints about the HP D7.....you would have thought you were reading this thread! And that model has a very "metallic" theme (even though I'm sure that's all really plastic, just like in all the Asus models).

skullbussa
10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Frankly, I wish Asus would just pony up and buy whatever trackpads Apple puts in their Macbooks. The one on my MacBook Pro is just absolutely amazing. I would pay $100 more for a trackpad that doesn't constantly skip around when I pause when writing a sentence. And yes, I have all the proper drivers, clean install, etc.

It's simply a bad trackpad that is both too sensitive and not sensitive enough - it's impossible to categorize. Everything else about the G74 I just love to death, but this alone is making me contemplate returning it to the store for a refund.

Xraided01
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I found out the problem is coming from having Any Usb mouse attached while trying to use the trackpad. Somehow the settings of the USB mouse interfere with touchpad. I also noticed the touchpad works perfect after completely disconnecting the mouse and then shutting down the computer. Hope this helps.

Xraided01
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I found out the problem is coming from having Any Usb mouse attached while trying to use the trackpad. Somehow the settings of the USB mouse interfere with touchpad. I also noticed the touchpad works perfect after completely disconnecting the mouse and then shutting down the computer. Hope this helps.

midihooker
10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
yes..Chasity seems very devoted to this problem.. and now the actually takes units back for RMA AND clean the touchpad, so you don't need to do this your self.. soo.. things are happening.. i was really frustrated when i got my unit back from RMA here in Sweden with some updated drivers.. but Chasity actually wrote the Swedish repair guys with instructions this time.. so i will send it back to RMA any day now.. and keep my fingers crossed that it work this time..

midihooker
10-25-2011, 04:11 PM

i have never attached a mouse to my G73SW and i HAVE the touchpad bug 100%.. i don't touch mouses.. itīs so 1990 (LOL)

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
lol, and I NEVER use my touchpad. Maybe if I got used to one I'd wind up liking it, but I don't think the one on my G74 is the one to do it on . . . :p

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 07:28 PM
No, that's not the problem most of us are talking about. There's no external mouse involved.

Frankly, I wish Asus would just pony up and buy whatever trackpads Apple puts in their Macbooks. The one on my MacBook Pro is just absolutely amazing. I would pay $100 more for a trackpad that doesn't constantly skip around when I pause when writing a sentence. And yes, I have all the proper drivers, clean install, etc.

It's simply a bad trackpad that is both too sensitive and not sensitive enough - it's impossible to categorize. Everything else about the G74 I just love to death, but this alone is making me contemplate returning it to the store for a refund.
I'm not convinced it's just a bad touchpad model. It's the implementation in certain machines. If the touchpad in the MacBook was not implemented properly, it would do the same thing. They're all capacitive touchpads, making them all vulnerable to this.

Keep in mind that the problem in Asus machines isn't limited to one specific touchpad. It's been at least two Synaptics models, and at least one Sentelic model. I find myself wondering if completely separate design teams develop the different Asus laptop series, and the G-series designers just don't have a grip on proper capacitive TP implementation. My N-series looks completely different inside, and the TP implementation is quite different from the G74's. Its performance has been rock-solid for nearly a year, while two G74s have had this issue out-of-the-box.

scorpionfalcon
11-25-2011, 03:23 AM

This worked for me!!! Plus I checked "disable touch pad with external mouse attached." Now, when I disconnect my mouse, the trackpad works beautifully! Thanks

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Awesome, Man! Thanks for sharing. :D

Verruckt
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
About DPC Latency Checker... Just tried it today
Noticed that sometimes I use my keyboard and mainly when a mistroke key happens, the latency goes around 900-1200. Wtf?
Any suggestions ? any drivers to uninstall and test/reinstall?

Edit: Left my laptop just sitting here doing nothing and sometimes the latency goes to 1000+ also.
Atheros drivers? Weird cause I got v9.2.1.459 installed.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Could be Wireless console 3 if you have it installed. Just an occasional pulse every so often is no problem. I think your supposed to check latence when your PC is idle. No sure.

Verruckt
11-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Well I ain't got Wireless Console 3 installed since I tried to install the Intel 6230 card...
I'll uninstall few drivers tonight and check the latency...
Left my laptop idle for a while and the absolute latency was 1828, then for a while again and a new maximum, 2394.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Well I ain't got Wireless Console 3 installed since I tried to install the Intel 6230 card...
I'll uninstall few drivers tonight and check the latency...
Left my laptop idle for a while and the absolute latency was 1828, then for a while again and a new maximum, 2394.
Uninstall any and all of the Asus stuff that you don't use. If you eliminate those kinds of extras and just leave the essential drivers, it's much easier to narrow down which driver is probably causing the latencies.

While it can be any driver, because any driver can be poorly written, in practice the most usual suspects seem to be network adapter drivers, and video and audio drivers. Try to diagnose by doing things that focus on using as few drivers as possible. For example, to check the audio driver, play local audio files instead of online (youtube, etc.), which would use your network driver simultaneously. It's not possible to completely isolate drivers, but narrowing it down like that helps isolate the problem driver faster.

It's very likely, in the G74, that the culprit is a network driver. Atheros drivers have had known issues, of course, but the Intel drivers do as well. I believe some Nvidia drivers, at least in certain software configurations, have caused their fair share of headaches too.

Paul3x
11-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I have had this issue (of the mouse pointer jumping sporatically when trying to move it), on and off since I bought the laptop. I love this machine but when this happens its horriblely frustrating. Tonight it got so bad I came back to this Forum and by the time I finished reading this thread, the problem ceased, seemingly for no reason. The only pattern that I can think of is that it appears more frequently sometime after I have power cycled the machine; if I simply put it to 'sleep' I hardly see it if ever. I always use the touchpad %100 of the time. Not much to go on but I hope this helps.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I have had this issue (of the mouse pointer jumping sporatically when trying to move it), on and off since I bought the laptop. I love this machine but when this happens its horriblely frustrating. Tonight it got so bad I came back to this Forum and by the time I finished reading this thread, the problem ceased, seemingly for no reason. The only pattern that I can think of is that it appears more frequently sometime after I have power cycled the machine; if I simply put it to 'sleep' I hardly see it if ever. I always use the touchpad %100 of the time. Not much to go on but I hope this helps.
It's done this from day one? How long have you had the laptop?

Stringy31
11-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Yes I too have this issue on my G74, its seemingly random, usually for a short period of time... Sometimes turning random things on and off in the touch pads settings fixes it (if you can finagle your way to it). I haven't attempted the solution that has been stickied solution in this forums as I'm currently trying to walk on egg shells with the machine as I'm currently dealing with a TDR issue my NVIDIA driver just had.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes I too have this issue on my G74, its seemingly random, usually for a short period of time... Sometimes turning random things on and off in the touch pads settings fixes it (if you can finagle your way to it). I haven't attempted the solution that has been stickied solution in this forums as I'm currently trying to walk on egg shells with the machine as I'm currently dealing with a TDR issue my NVIDIA driver just had.
I think it's too soon to tell if your touchpad glitchiness is an independent problem, or part of the intermittent freezing you're already experiencing (as described in your post about the Nvidia driver). Only once you're running a stable setup can you evaluate whether the touchpad has its own issues.

Stringy31
11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes I agree. Though I do suspect it is an entirely different issue. I don't see how the touch pad would be related to my GPU's black screen crashing, unless someone else is having both symptoms?

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
If you have an Atheros Wifi card, did you do this? http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

You should whether you think it has anything to do with your problem or not.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes I agree. Though I do suspect it is an entirely different issue. I don't see how the touch pad would be related to my GPU's black screen crashing, unless someone else is having both symptoms?
You'd be surprised! Think in terms of all the different drivers constantly sending requests and information to the CPU, following certain rules about how to format those requests, and how to "get in line" for processing. You can imagine how just one driver that isn't doing that properly....that's not following the precise protocol Windows expects, etc.....can mess up processing of other drivers' requests as well.

As JR's post suggests, certain Atheros WLAN drivers are known to cause lots of seemingly unrelated issues, precisely through that mechanism. The driver causes excessive latencies, essentially a "back up" in the line of requests coming into the CPU. So the WLAN card can cause the touchpad to be glitchy, or audio/video to skip, even though you'd assume they are completely unrelated problems.

Stringy31
12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys, I will be downloading and installing the driver :D I have noticed some inconsistency in my Starcraft 2 streams as well, I imagine this will help with that if nothing else :)

tirezege
12-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Hey guys,

I'd been reading about the touchpad issues here, and feeling lucky that I don't have such problem with my g74. But Murphy's Law made the call, today, suddenly my touchpad went crazy. It jumpes, doesn't react, reacts late, does everything which a touchpad shouldn't do! I don't use my touchpad, I actually took the plastic cover on it just today(laptop is still new)! But I don't think that's the problem since it was working pretty good even with the cover on it at the times I used it.

Only thing I noticed that I did was this:
I had installed the chipset INF update without the -overall parameter while I was updating my drivers. Today I re-installed it by using -overall parameter this time. Thanks to JRd1st's explanation. That's the only thing I might have done which may related with my touchpad's decision to go crazy... You think it is related?

I am wondering if it was because I just took the plastic cover off(nothing inside the laptop, just the plastic thing sticked on the touchpad), should it get used to the new surface, does it need time, are touchpads emotional devices? Just to mention, my ATK Package is 1.0.0014, touchpad driver is Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.3.5(yeah it is the sentelic one) and bios is 203.

I need help, even though I don't really use the touchpad, I might use it dude, damn this is a laptop all in all, touchpad is a need...

That's frustrating. Anyway, waiting for your advices!

EDIT: Today when I wake up and turn on my laptop, ta-daaaa, my touchpad was working like a charm! Last night I had given up fixing it and wrote here about my problem, I see it was the correct decision, this forum is magical:P Anyway, if the problem re-occurs, I will let you know. If it doesn't, then it seems it was because I took the plastic cover off and it was still a bit sticky...

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Hey guys,

I'd been reading about the touchpad issues here, and feeling lucky that I don't have such problem with my g74. But Murphy's Law made the call, today, suddenly my touchpad went crazy. It jumpes, doesn't react, reacts late, does everything which a touchpad shouldn't do! I don't use my touchpad, I actually took the plastic cover on it just today(laptop is still new)! But I don't think that's the problem since it was working pretty good even with the cover on it at the times I used it.

Only thing I noticed that I did was this:
I had installed the chipset INF update without the -overall parameter while I was updating my drivers. Today I re-installed it by using -overall parameter this time. Thanks to JRd1st's explanation. That's the only thing I might have done which may related with my touchpad's decision to go crazy... You think it is related?

I am wondering if it was because I just took the plastic cover off(nothing inside the laptop, just the plastic thing sticked on the touchpad), should it get used to the new surface, does it need time, are touchpads emotional devices? Just to mention, my ATK Package is 1.0.0014, touchpad driver is Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.3.5(yeah it is the sentelic one) and bios is 203.

I need help, even though I don't really use the touchpad, I might use it dude, damn this is a laptop all in all, touchpad is a need...

That's frustrating. Anyway, waiting for your advices!
Neither the chipset re-install nor removing the protective cover would be related to the behavior you're seeing, IMO. And they don't need to "adjust" or anything like that. They're not emotional or temperamental. ;)

From your description, it seems entirely possible that your touchpad has always been like this, but you just didn't notice until you happened to take the cover off and played around with it. That behavior is very sporatic, so if you only used the TP a little bit on intermittent occasions, maybe it just never happened those few times you used it.

First, assure that all your software is in order....latest drivers (especially WLAN), etc. Then, to really evaluate this touchpad behavior, use it regularly for a few days (after confirming all software's okay) to see how it performs under normal use.

If the behavior continues to occur sporatically but persistently, chances are it is defective. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do for that, aside from returning it or sending it in for repair (which isn't a guaranteed fix).

dstrakele
12-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Is it new enough to contact the retailer to see if they will exchange it for a new unit? That'd be my advice.

jasonmizrahi
01-12-2012, 09:03 PM

My touchpad does the same as well. More of my issues derive from my cursor skipping all over the place when I type, especially words like 'you' or 'know' - I realized that by disabling my touchpad overall (I use a Logitech G700 mouse) it solved my skipping issues.

The bigger issue however is that when I press Fn+F9 to disable my touchpad, after about 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity, my touchpad will be activated again. And if I hit Fn+F9 again, it doesn't disable it. In fact, I have to go to the 'Configure' screen for the 'Finger Sensing Pad' and uncheckmark both boxes inside 'Typing Detection' and 'USB Mouse Detection' - hit 'Apply' button, then recheckmark both boxes, and hit apply once more.

This again fixes the issue - atleast until my computer is inactive (no clicks, mouse movements, etc) for another 5 o 10 min.

The only other option I haven't executed on is disabling the touchpad within my bios - but I can tell everyone this, all of that skipping around latency stuff is because of this darn touchpad - disable it and you'll be golden (assuming u use a mouse primarily). If you require use of the touchpad however, then this is another issue and unfortunately Asus hasn't fixed this yet. Good thing is I also have a couple MacBooks to play around with in case I get ticked off with these. My friend recommended a Clevo X7200 (Sager 7282) but those are overkill so I guess I'll stick to this.

Oh yeah, there's also the issue of the NumPad keys not working and/or not registering correctly within games. That was fixed in Bios 202.

BrodyBoy
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
The only other option I haven't executed on is disabling the touchpad within my bios.
Completely disabling the touchpad has been an ongoing issue for some users. If you disable it in the BIOS, the keyboard is disabled as well (at least in some cases). Seems like this will need to be fixed in a future BIOS update.

MrNoobCrusher
01-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I too had the same touchpad issues. My touchpad worked great for just one week (long enough to have fully configured everything I use) then suddenly the pointer started jumping around. It seemed as though the pointed was mocking me because it responded with my finger, but it went around the screen randomly, sometimes in the oposite direction. I was furious!!! In the heat of frustation and after cursing Asus and yelling at my wife, I finally calmed down enough to find this thread. I thought I was doomed to send my machine back for replacment, but was happy to find how easy the driver reinstall really was. Navigate to the a replacment touchpad driver (http://service.asus.com/ProductCategory.aspx?pid=2).

Thanks!

I was very frustrated with the G74 touchpad. I thought that I'd bought a very nice laptop with a keyboard/mouse that was totally screwed up. The mouse would jump all over the place, etc. What I found out, however, is that the touchpad driver was screwed up and therefore I could not properly configure the touchpad. My G74 uses the Sentinel driver. To see if that is your problem, go to Control Panel, Mouse, Finger Sensing Pad and then Configure. If the Configure doesn't open (as mine would not), then you need to uninstall and reinstall the latest Sentinel driver until the Configure button does open. Once you're into the Configuration, go to Enable/Disable Touchpad and choose to Disable Touchpad while Typing. Additionally, expand the + to the left of Typing Detection and change the Reactivation Time to something like 1.5 seconds. This tells the touchpad to stay disabled until you've stopped typing for 1.5 seconds. Choose a longer/shorter time depending upon what you want. I personally also went to On Pad Functions and also disabled On Pad Click - but I may re-enable it later. Then, of course, click Ok

This has solved my problem with the sporadic, frustrating and disappointing Touchpad issues and I hope that it will resolve yours as well.

MrNoobCrusher
01-21-2012, 06:20 AM
I had the same issue. Not realated to my mouse or fn+f9. It was just a crappy driver that came with the original install. The touchpad driver from ASUS (http://service.asus.com/ProductCategory.aspx?pid=2)worked for me.

My touchpad does the same as well. More of my issues derive from my cursor skipping all over the place when I type, especially words like 'you' or 'know' - I realized that by disabling my touchpad overall (I use a Logitech G700 mouse) it solved my skipping issues.

The bigger issue however is that when I press Fn+F9 to disable my touchpad, after about 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity, my touchpad will be activated again. And if I hit Fn+F9 again, it doesn't disable it. In fact, I have to go to the 'Configure' screen for the 'Finger Sensing Pad' and uncheckmark both boxes inside 'Typing Detection' and 'USB Mouse Detection' - hit 'Apply' button, then recheckmark both boxes, and hit apply once more.

This again fixes the issue - atleast until my computer is inactive (no clicks, mouse movements, etc) for another 5 o 10 min.

The only other option I haven't executed on is disabling the touchpad within my bios - but I can tell everyone this, all of that skipping around latency stuff is because of this darn touchpad - disable it and you'll be golden (assuming u use a mouse primarily). If you require use of the touchpad however, then this is another issue and unfortunately Asus hasn't fixed this yet. Good thing is I also have a couple MacBooks to play around with in case I get ticked off with these. My friend recommended a Clevo X7200 (Sager 7282) but those are overkill so I guess I'll stick to this.

Oh yeah, there's also the issue of the NumPad keys not working and/or not registering correctly within games. That was fixed in Bios 202.

THEkrps
06-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Just a simple thank you to bestko for the solution above. It did not work exactly like that for me, but it worked enough that I was able to disable he blasted thing!

dstrakele
06-01-2012, 04:21 AM
If you have a Sentelic touchpad, the 9.1.7.7 driver version resolves BOTH the 1) re-enabling issue after disabling with Fn-F9 and 2) the keyboard disable issue when the touchpad is disabled in the BIOS.

farxodbek
06-06-2012, 04:42 AM
1. UNINSTALL ALL TOUCH PAD DRIVERS
2.GO HERE: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx
3. SELECT YOU SYSTEM
4. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD TOUCH PAD DRIVER >>>Version V9.1.3.5 ONLY DO NOT UPDATE TO V9.7...!!!
5. INSTALL IT AND REBOOT ...
6. GO TO CONTROL PANEL >>>>MOUSE>>>>FINGER SENSING PAD >>>CONFIGURE >>>ON PAD FUNCTION>>>
ON PAD CURSOR SPEED TO>>>>LEVEL 9
7.GO TO CONTROL PANEL >>>>MOUSE>>>>>POINTER OPTION >>>>>CHECK ON ENHANCE POINTER PRECISION
DONE!!!!
NOTE :
YOU STILL NEED TO USE EXTERNAL MOUSE FOR GAMES !!!!
THIS SOLUTION WILL FIX JUMPING AND BAD RESPONDING G74SX TOUCH PADS ONLY

wanfeilwong
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I was fed up with the Sentelic TP. The 2 finger scroll is glitchy, as well as the 2 finger(middle click). What finally made me RMA it was the erratic curosr. No driver could fix that. My solution was sending it in and requesting on the RMA sheet that they install a synaptics TP.

I wasn't sure if they would actually install the synaptics one but they did and it makes a ton of difference. Smooth two finger scrolls, a 2 finger click that works, and many other options that just make the Sentelic look like its 10 years old.

tmwilson87
06-25-2012, 03:34 AM
I was searching and found this thread while suffering this for the millionth time. For so long I ahve resorted to just using a mouse...

I was using a mouse when I took another look at options. It always seemed like my pad was trying to do something else instead of move the cursor... SO i took a look at my enabled options. By clicking the track pad icon (sentelic by the way) in the icon bay bottom right... I right click, choose settings, go to Finger Sensing Pad on the right up top, click configure...

Now, I never use these so disbaling them was no problem for me... but when I disabled ALL of the On-pad scrolling functions (includes Vertical Scrolling, Horizontal Scrolling, On-pad Slide Page[you cannot, of course, disable cursor speed, just set it to whatever you desire])

And boom, that did it. It immediately stopped.

Now, my issue was always that say moving my cursor straight up by means of a finger up the middle of the track pad, the pointer would stop, jitter a bit, and then skip up about an inch or more of my screen, making it IMPOSSIBLE to select many thin toolbars and the like... so this has stopped that. All the minute movements now are totally responsive...

I dont know if this was the exact issue you all have, it reads like many people have various issues just all centered on the crap pad ;)

Just hoping this helps some of you if youre still looking for a possible fix...

Jebus
07-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Ok, I have been having a similar problem and this thread is just too big to find it. I have a G74SX and use a usb mouse for gaming and have found that at a random time the touch pad will reactivate. Is there a way that I can turn off the touch pad permanently?? I tried to deactivate it through the bios but that deactivated the keyboard as well, so that didn't help. Any advice would be helpful because other then the crap touch pad this machine is excellent.

Thanks for your help...

dstrakele
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
If you have a Sentelic touchpad running a driver version PRIOR to 9.1.7.7, you can experience the touchpad re-enabling itself. In addition, if you attempt to disable the touchpad in the BIOS, with one of the earlier Sentelic drivers, you'll find the keyboard is also disabled. Installing Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 will resolve both of these issues.

Be sure to uninstall the earlier version driver (displayed as "Finger Sensing Pad") from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" and REBOOT before installing version 9.1.7.7.

Gasman
09-03-2012, 03:02 AM
I too have experience the issue of mystery mouse. I tried to read through all the posts here regarding the issue but it seems most everyone has come to a similar conclusion, the G73-4 touchpads suck!

I purchased my system from Best Buy because I was in rush at the time. I used the system for almost a year without any issue. Then about 6 months ago it began, non responsive mouse, jumping all over the screen, doing its own thing while I was trying to work. It drove me nuts, I had to use a usb mouse to keep working.

Eventually I found the time to take it back to best buy. First time they reinstalled the drivers and did the diagnostics testing and blew out any dust and debris. The second time they sent it out to Asus, and they did the same, but re-installed windows completely (nightmare as you all know because now its a day of reconfiguring the settings and software to your liking). The third time they replaced the entire trouch pad, and guess what, within a week the issue was back. I called up my guy from the Geek Squad (he actually recognizes my voice when I call now, and we know each other quite well), and told him the issue is back and I'm ready to huck her out the window, he then tells me to bring it in and he will see to it that I"m taken care of. After about a week of sitting there on their counter while they were running diagnostics software that didn't use windows at all, my guy walked by the G73 and there it was, proof of the issue, the mouse was doing something crazy once he touched it. Up until then, they had never seen it first hand, I had video of the situation but no hands on proof, but now the proof was there.

The end result is I am now looking at a replacement system, and the options are not really that great from best buy, unless I want to step over to Mac. I really like my windows work flow and don't want a Mac, so the options for a comparable system are not really that good. I actually ordered another Asus G75, but after reading all the incidences with the track pads, I'm thinking I may have to go with something else. I was considering the N56 but after playing and typing on it for a while in the store, the touchpad is too sensitive to my typing and the mouse is jumping all over the place, drove me nuts. The only systems that seemed like quality pads were the Samsung, the Sony and of course the Mac.

In conclusion, my solution to the issue was go to an all new replacement. I still don't have the system yet, and now I'm seriously considering moving brands. Its too bad, I like the Asus stuff, my tower is Asus and it has served me well for about 5 years now.

rog_dsds
09-04-2012, 05:53 AM
6. GO TO CONTROL PANEL >>>>MOUSE>>>>FINGER SENSING PAD >>>CONFIGURE >>>ON PAD FUNCTION>>>
ON PAD CURSOR SPEED TO>>>>LEVEL 9
7.GO TO CONTROL PANEL >>>>MOUSE>>>>>POINTER OPTION >>>>>CHECK ON ENHANCE POINTER PRECISION

very strange !
I only changed the finger sensing pad cursor speed and .. no more problems !
I tried to change the mouse pointer option speed again to see what happens...thinking there was some kind of "bad interaction" between the windows and the pad but actually I can not make it back to bumpy..and it still works...and those two adjustments are complementary, they are added to each other

Note that all the gestures are desactivated and the driver was already in v9.1.3.5

I can not believe I solve my problem just in adjusting the speed of the pad !
:D:D:D:D

MadHaTr
06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I have solved it:
1. Uninstall all touchpad drivers via control panel / mouse / hardware
2. Restart computer
3. Download this: http://www.uloz.to/10572474/64-zip
4. run setup.exe and install it
5. restart computer
6. control panel / mouse / device settings / disable internal poin...(mark it)
--(i recommend give synaptics icon in the taskbar, because if a disabling of touchpad dont work, you can disable it manualy when you have connected external mouse)--

I will complete my message if I try some things and it will be work on 100%

This worked great for me!! I installed a fresh non-asus windows and I couldn't stop the touchpad no matter what I did, I would disable when typing, disable when USB mouse connected(worked for 30 seconds) nothing was helping. This software did the trick. Many Thanks

Doublenn
04-02-2014, 07:06 AM
I was having this problem, keypad glitching everywhere unless I had another hand touching the frame when it was plugged in. I tested if my ground was working and ended up finding a fault in my house electrical wiring. Talk about unexpected expenses. My computer was fine, but to other users, it seems like a ground fault either in the power supply or in the touchpad itself will cause glitching touchpad issues. Test your power supply first, as it is the cheapest fix, and check that they outlets you are using are grounded. If they are fine and the drivers are all up to date, check the ground connection on you touchpad or have a technician do so. I went to the neighbours and it worked fine everytime, so happily the computer was OK and I didn't send it out but now I have a bigger mess on my hands....