PDA

View Full Version : BIOS

dark.knight
08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone, I've just been refered over here by the main Asus forum.

I've just bought an ASUS K72JR, or X72J as it was listed, from Ebay. The listing said the laptop had a BIOS password that was not known and was sold as is.

I've tried everything I know to remove the password. I took apart the laptop to remove the CMOS battery but to my surprise there wasn't one in the socket. I thought since the password was still active, the CMOS was drawing power from the main battery. So I held down the reset button (or what I believed was a reset button) for a good 2 mins and left the board for a further 30mins before re-assembling it but when I powered it on the password was still active.

I was going to use cracking software to predict the master password and was wondering if anyone knew what BIOS Asus used? IBM, AMI etc.? Or is it proprietary?

And also, just on the off chance, does anyone know how to reset the password or know the master password on this particular model. The K72JR.

Thank you.

chrsplmr
08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
a board with a password and you want one of us to tell you how to 'unlock' it?
good luck with that.
Buyer Beware I'm afraid.

Area 66
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder where the guy on Ebay get this laptop ?

chrsplmr
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Dark, don't know if you came back to see if anybody went for this.
We are all allergic to felonies....
Get ya some black and red and come on back.
Not one with a password on set up though...locked.
I would leave that seller serious negative feedback (on Ebay) until he sent you
the password....so he doesnt pull this on another DarkKnight.c.

xeromist
08-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't know that it is fair for him to leave negative feedback. He says the seller disclosed this before the sale so he bought it with full knowledge of the situation. As to the seller being a felon...well we can't say for sure. A locked computer is suspicious but it could be they simply forgot the password or inherited it from someone who died.

The good news is that you can use a laptop for its entire life without ever needing to enter the BIOS so at least it's not an expensive paperweight.

chrsplmr
08-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Fair Enough...withdrawn.c.

Dark..My apoligies Sir, Never meant to imply you
had intenionally did anything wrong..
..and if the buyer disclosed..well, thats that there.
..and as X pointed out, you can run a laptop a
lonnnnng time and never need to get into the
bios...so..deal.
I stand by Buyer Beware.
I did some checking on that Model-k72j, or jr, xn1 or, c1 or us,
and that is i7,i5 or i3 with facial recognition, loaded probably
chip, sim or flash memory built on the board (which if you remove
it wont work..I think) I just hope it works out for the best for you.

Welcome...Please, lets move on.c.

dark.knight
08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
All I can say is I'm not a felon. I bought the laptop in good faith. Seller had 100% feedback. He runs a computer repair shop in Kent. Says the laptop was his but since so many go through his hands, and after not using it for a while he genuinely forgot the password.

He took it to pc world to ask them to remove it but they couldn't. He phoned Asus and they told him to buy a new board. (This bit was not in the listing, only told this after sending him messages yesterday and today.) I naively bought it even after he said it had a boot password which he didn't know. I believed it was as simple as removing the cmos battery like it is on my desktop. It obviously isn't. Now I'm stuck with a laptop sized paper weight. I saved up for a long time for it and thought I had gotten a bargain.

After reading more, I find out laptop security is much greater than a pc. The password is not saved on the cmos chip, it's saved on a separate chip for security usually located under the cpu.

Also after entering the password 3 times I do not get a random code generated like many websites say will happen and which can be used to generate a password. It just stops letting me type anymore until I reboot it.

Is there anything anyone can do to help?
Or am I going to have to save up and buy a new motherboard?