PDA

View Full Version : Bootmgr missing on G74SX, can't get it to boot from win7 DVD...

juv96hrn
09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I have an Asus G74SX that has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years.

One day the PC was really slow, finally Bluescreened and then started up with the "missing Bootmagr" message not letting me into windows any longer.

I am now trying to get the computer to boot from the CD player to start it with a bootable win7DVD to hopefully repair the bootmgr files (if that is the problem?).

But in the Bios (or boot options) I can't find any options to set the CD-player as the primary boot device.

Does anyone know how to do this on a G74SX? Thanks!

Chino
09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, juv96hrn.

When you open the Boot tab in your BIOS, how many boot options do you see under Boot Option Priorities? Please list all the options here for me to see.

juv96hrn
09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
By default I had two, one for each of my hard drives (the system drive and the other) but none for my DVD player.

According to the manual I should go under the i/o interface security option under the security tab and LOCK the secondary HDD. When I do this there remains only one bootable device (the system drive) and when I reboot the computer the "Bootmgr does not exist" message is changed to something about using a bootable device but the PC wont boot from the CD anyways.

IS this the info you need or should I list something further?

I have tried disabling one HDD, both HDDS and still the CD wont boot from. There still is no setting to activate the CD as bootable. Is this really intended?

I have flashed the BIOS to version 203 2011.10.14 version after talking to ASUS phone support. The version number listed inside the BIOS still remains 2.01.1204 so I'm not sure the flashing really changed anything but it looked like it worked.

What really surprises me is how it can be so difficult to enter the correct settings on a regular ASUS laptop to boot from the CD?

EDIT:

My F9 recovery partition is gone so I can't recover my bootmgr files from there unfortunately.

The system HDD is on SATA channel 2 and the storage HDD is on SATA channel 1 if that could help.

Chino
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Go into the CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities section. Do you see your Mat****a Blu Ray drive in there?

juv96hrn
09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Go into the CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities section. Do you see your Mat****a Blu Ray drive in there?

No. I don't even have that category. I only have a "Hard DRive BBS Priority" category. And this is the same before as after upgrading the BIOS. :-(

This is very weird. My Blue Ray drive has been working before although I have never tried to boot somthing from it before. How come it doesn't show up in the BIOS?

EDIT:

When I place an USD-stick with WIN-7 installation files in an USB slot and reboot the PC I get new options in the boot menu (except the HDDs) UEFI USB and Scandisk U3 Cruzer Micro 3.27. None of these options do anything but leave the cursor blinking but it show its possible to add more bootable options.

Also the CD spins up when you place a CD in it so it isnt broken. Its just that the BIOS cant find it I think.

Chino
09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Something is definately wrong with the BluRay drive if it spins up but the BIOS do not detect. The only way to test it would be in Windows but that's impossible for the time being.

Good call on the putting your Windows 7 CD on your USB. Boot from your USB and repair it from there.

juv96hrn
09-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Something is definately wrong with the BluRay drive if it spins up but the BIOS do not detect. The only way to test it would be in Windows but that's impossible for the time being.

Good call on the putting your Windows 7 CD on your USB. Boot from your USB and repair it from there.

Eh, no. Choosing to boot from USB port just makes the cursor stand and blink. Am I supposed to be able to start the autorun.exe by choosing this option? Omg, how can so much problems just appear one day one a PC that has been running flawlessly for 2 years!

Would the CD options be there in the BIOS if it detected the CD only? Shouldn't they be there wether a CD has been installed/is present or not?

DIT:

I can get into the ASUS express gate cloud (you know that strange little surf only OS started with the button next to the power button) I used this very rarely but it there no way I could access the file system from here and repair the bootmgr?

EDIT 2:

After removing all other boot options but the USB-flash memory (which can be seen in the BIOS) I finally managed to get the installation of WIN7 to start from it. Now the problem is that I can't see my system HDD in the installation process. IT can however still be found in the BIOS. What does this mean? Is the SSD hard drive where I had my OS installed broken or why can't I install windows7 to it? I really would like to "repair" it rather than install it again but I guess that makes little difference? Is it neccessary for the BIOS to "see" the system HDD for me to install a new version of win7 on it? Shouldnt the installation process find the HDDs installed on the PC on its own?

I will try to reconfigure the BIOS so that it can see both HDDs and still boot on the USB-stick to install win7 from it.

I really despise windows after this bootmgr disaster which has cost so much time to fix!