PDA

View Full Version : How I got rid of the lags (G750JX)

y0da67
09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Hello.

Few days ago i posted here because i have freezes and lags on my computer.
Even if I did a full restore I had those problems again.

EDIT : As soon as I made the windows 8 updates, my games randomly froze.
Here is the way I fixed it.

Follow this guide
http://goo.gl/psGWR2 (Tweak Arena link)

I also installed the DirectX using this link
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

I have no more lags and this computer is now awesome. I didn't reinstall the optional programs.

bloowhalez
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
what lags was there? When I get an SSD Im considering a clean install, and i really, really appreciate the links you provided. They will save me an hour or two if not more.

So thank you there.

But what lag?

y0da67
09-12-2013, 09:57 PM
My games were randomly freezing for a second or two. Even CS 1.6 offline, stock install, dx updated

adamsyes
09-13-2013, 04:50 AM
this, could be a tedious way of fixing the lag issue. although if it works, it works :) just to let you know, you can use fastboot on windows 8 or use the OEM key from the motherboard by installing the NORMAL Windows 8 OEM Edition, and not Pro (which currently windows 8 pro is the only legit way to download it.) the other way you can obtain normal windows is to buy the CD or..well find a ISO but good luck with that :P

so when you install windows 8, so when you enable fastboot and after during the product key process it will auto register the key and proceed the installation.

hmscott
09-13-2013, 09:16 AM
y0da67, finding the root cause of lag / bad performance is better than completely reinstalling the OS.

I am not experiencing lag on a stock G750JW and G750JX using an SSD. When I was using the original hard disk, which were really slow in response time, I was experiencing HD seek lag.

Cloning the original OS HD install to an SSD got rid of HD seek lag. I am using the same OS install/config on the SSD as came on the hard disk. I saved the original HD and preserved the OS install on it in case I need to use it later to recover the OS install on the SSD, or if I need to send in the laptop to Asus for service.

If the OS/file layout on the HD is the lag issue and you can't get an SSD, I would recommend a good disk optimizer (not the one that comes with Windows/Norton) and optimize / re-layout the system files for performance.

This is what I used before moving to SSD's:
http://www.condusiv.com/home-use/diskeeper/professional/overview/

They have a 30 day eval - once you optimize the layout you are set for a while. I also use that software to consolidate the data on a partition to the beginning of a partition so I can shrink the partition.

You can also get lag from background software updates. When the laptop is new, there are a lot of OS updates that are needed, and if you installed Adobe CS / MS Office / etc all those will do background updates.

All those updates can cause lag - network lag too. Even small updates can fire off a Restore Point creation which will lag when using an HD.

I typically do all updates by hand when I first set up the OS / Applications and then turn off automatic updates - I manually do updates weekly - Tuesday/Wednesday is when MS updates usually come through.

You can also get massive lag by allowing background indexing to run. I always turn indexing off, disable the indexing service, and reconfigure the index database - clearing the indexed directories, rebuilding the index with no indexed dirs.

For some applications/games newer video drivers can be problematic, causing lag in play. Rolling back to older video drivers, like the Asus Nvidia drivers, can help. Checking on the support site for that game/application, looking for nvidia driver topics might be helpful.

Creating a restore point before installing new software you are unfamiliar with is also a good idea so you can roll back to the restore point if you run into problems after the install.

Trying to do a from scratch OS install on a laptop is a satisfying challenge, but you are throwing away all the hard work the vendor did to optimize the OS install for the laptop.

Missing drivers are easy to spot in the Device Manager, but a lot of other software is used to manage the power/battery, performance, and special features of the laptop. Asus has access to drivers and input from component OEM's that we don't.

Asus doesn't post all drivers / software used for an install, just the ones that have updates available. Using OEM drivers from the component makers can work, but aren't the ones Asus tested / optimized for their laptop configuration.

Reinstalling an OS from scratch, which might blow away the partition config of the original disk is dangerous when you don't have a recovery DVD. I found out the hard way that the recovery process is not flexible if the exact partition structure and contents it expects isn't found.

If you make a mistake you might not be able to recover the original OS. Asus isn't shipping a recovery DVD with their laptops, and right now you can't purchase the recovery DVD for G750's from the Asus eStore.

Using a spare drive to make a clone first and then work on the clone drive is safer :)

hmscott
09-14-2013, 09:09 AM
My games were randomly freezing for a second or two. Even CS 1.6 offline, stock install, dx updated

y0da67, missed your original CS 1.6 problem post. I loaded it from Steam and it runs fine at 1920x1080 without lag for me, but I only played for a little while. I am using nvidia driver 320.80. I haven't had CS lag problems in the past, I didn't realize it was such an issue.

I see there are a lot of complaints about CS 1.6 lag issues, freezes when loading content, lag problems going back to Windows 7 and with other video drivers / cards - the ones that get solved seem to be updated video drivers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=counter+strike+1.6+lag+nvidia+driver+prob lem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Along with some newer issues due to Nvidia/Optimus - not something we have to worry about, but reading through them it looks like it might be something that can come back too.
http://pastebin.com/dFnmFdbp
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/lag-and-fps-problem-in-cs-1-6-a-505272.html
http://steamcommunity.com/app/10/discussions/0/864959809929049360/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1673741/driver-slow-gtx-650-boost.html

Edit: Ok, now you are on Win7 - so 8.1 didn't work?... IDK I am not having problems with the Asus 8.0 with all Microsoft updates installed. I still think working to make the Asus 8.0 install work - getting to the root cause of the actual problem - rather than reloading the OS from scratch is a better idea and use of time, but I am happy to hear it is working for you.

Let us know if the lag comes back.

y0da67
09-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I found what the problems was.
As soon as i installed the Windows 8 updates, my games began to freeze.
This was also noticeable offline and windows updated disabled.
I switched to Win7 using the tweak arena link.
I made all the updates, installed all the drivers and now it works great.
The issue cames from windows 8, not Asus' fault.

Thank you for you help.

y0da67
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok after some updates and games download it seems that your diagnosis was good.
There are some HD lags on the stock HD.
I have 600+GB of games. Which SSD do you recommend?
I'll try to switch to Win 8.1

hmscott
09-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Ok after some updates and games download it seems that your diagnosis was good.
There are some HD lags on the stock HD.
I have 600+GB of games. Which SSD do you recommend?

There are a ton of SSD's out there that would be great, you might want to do some research on performance reviews and current prices / deals so you are ready to take advantage of an opportunity when it comes up. That is what I did and saved ~$200 off of a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB.

I decided the size I was looking for, and the range of acceptable drives, and waited for something to go on sale, I actually walked into a retail location to get a BDR drive, memory, and some other hardware, and saw it on sale in the glass case, just went on sale and snagged it.

If you are more interested in doing it right now, and don't care so much about finding a deal, the one I have an eye on is the new Samsung Evo 1TB - there is also a 750GB and 500GB. Amazon has good prices (I'd still check around) and good reviews on it, here is a link for all versions:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE1T0BW/dp/B00E3W16OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379236941&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+evo+1tb

Here are the Samsung Pro SSD's
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-SATA_6_0_gb-MZ-7PD512BW/dp/B009NB8WTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379237907&sr =1-1&keywords=samsung+840+pro+512gb

The Pro costs a bit more, isn't currently available larger than 512GB, has better performance for large volume transactions, has a 5 year warranty instead of 3 years, but I think the performance difference while measurable isn't going to be noticeable on a desktop - but I haven't used one, and it is a new device - the Pro has a good track record. So far so does the Evo. Check out the reviews to get a feel for the differences.

There is a new optimization feature, RapidMode, that is only support on the new Evo, staring with Samsung Magician 4.2.1

Speaking of Optimization, the Pro runs faster longer (between TRIM's) if you allocate a scratch space at the end of the drive using the Samsung Magician software. It is a sizable percentage at 10%, but it has been worth it - another reason to get a larger drive - more space to work with. I needed the space so I got rid of it and extended my DATA partition. A larger drive wouldn't have required my giving up the optimization.

To me the availability of the larger sizes, almost as good of performance, and cost difference are enough to give the Evo a shot. See if you can get it locally so you can return it if it comes up with the glitch.

Let us know how it works out for you!

hmscott
09-15-2013, 09:56 AM

y0da67, the Windows 8.1 Preview Release isn't production software, and it will likely require a reinstall of Windows 8.1 Production release when it comes out. Unless you installer the early release RTM for 8.1, and not the Preview Release of 8.1 :)

Which means you loose all your application installs and configuration.

That is why Microsoft suggests not installing on a production or daily use machine. Instead they suggest installing on a 2nd drive and dual boot, or do what I do and install it into a VM for testing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-156fa18916b4

If you can restore back to the Asus OS install, you can disable the Windows automatic updates at first, clone to an SSD, and then install each Windows update 1 at a time - rebooting in between - until you hit the one that causes performance issues - and then back that one out manually - you can then hide that update from Windows Update, finish doing the remaining updates one at a time in case there is more than 1 causing the problem.

If you mess up the process you can always reclone from the OEM HD image and try again.

Then when 8.1 is released, and Asus has updated drivers released - they are pretty good about releasing new drivers same day in such situations, you can update and preserve all your installs.

Have fun :)