PDA

View Full Version : fan too noisy when looking at a video -> decrease minimum fan speed ?

amanieux
09-12-2013, 07:53 PM
even with a crapy sd video the fan noise is too loud (why is there no optimus on that g750 ?)

is there a way to lower the minimum fan speed (or raise the temperature threshold to start spinning the fan)

thank you

adamsyes
09-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Which model do you have?

depending on the date you bought the laptop, fans might be dirty, I suggest to clean them with compressed air gas cans you can find them on any computer retailer.

if that isn't the case, I assume the temperatures hit a bit high during videos.
monitor your temps for CPU/GPU while you are watching a video

Pitcher@asus
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
i think it is unable to control fan speed.

hmscott
09-13-2013, 08:43 AM
even with a crapy sd video the fan noise is too loud (why is there no optimus on that g750 ?)
is there a way to lower the minimum fan speed (or raise the temperature threshold to start spinning the fan)
thank you

amanieux, what sofware/codec/source are you using to watch video?

Watching Blu-ray / DVD with Cyberlink PowerDVD/Blu-ray software I can't hear the fan at all, but I do hear the Blu-ray drive spinning the disk... maybe that is what you are hearing?

Watching Hulu+/Netflix/RedboxInstant/Youtube/etc streaming video there is no fan noise at all. I am only seeing 3-5% CPU usage.

Check to see what the top processes are running while watching video using Task Manager, sort by High CPU, and make sure something else isn't running at the same time as the player/codec that could be loading the CPU and causing the fan to spin up.

The G750 fans are incredibly silent, and the fan profile for both the CPU and GPU favor keeping the fan quiet at the expense of running the chips a bit warm.

The fans spin up when the load increases, and the fans keep the chips cool / safe even at 100%/100% load without throttling. I run that way a lot - and the 100%/100% fan noise isn't anywhere near as loud as the recent MSI's I have tested at 100%/100%.

When I first got the G750JW I thought there was something wrong because I couldn't hear the fans, and even when I could feel the air / hear the CPU fan the GPU fan / air was absent - until I started benchmarking and loading up test runs for rendering / compute jobs.

amanieux
09-13-2013, 05:30 PM
i am using the standard video player that is associated by default to video files, and i am sure it is the fan noise because i replaced the ultra noisy wd black hdd by a ssd

hmscott
09-14-2013, 01:34 AM
amanieux, did you get my point that it is high CPU usage that causes the CPU to heat up, causing the fan to spin up and make noise?

If you are hearing the CPU fan then there is something running causing that to happen.

Normal video playback won't heat up the CPU and cause the fan to run at high speed - making noise.

Use the Task Manager to find the High CPU usage process and figure out why it is running.

What is the standard video player that is associated by default on your system?

Is that the process that is the high cpu usage process, or is something else running that is adding to the load and pushing the CPU heat up, causing the fan to spin up and make noise?

Try this package which includes codecs and a player, it is pretty universal in supporting lots of video / audio formats, and I have been using it for years:

http://free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

Just the player:
http://free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic_Home_Cinema.htm