PDA

View Full Version : Happy Purchase 750JW from Best Buy

Rift999
09-13-2013, 03:36 AM
the $1249 one.

I could have bought any laptop I wanted, price was not an issue, except the fact I'm an impulse shopper. I woke up wanted to buy gaming laptop TODAY.

Got the 750JW from best buy... I've had it few months now and let me tell you, I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

The matte screen people complain about is GORGEOUS.
The keyboard LED lights up BEAUTIFUL (1 minor issue, must press decent pressure on keys)
The graphics card GTX765M works beautifully on any game, I play Guild Wars 2/Black OPs 2 on high settings, no problems..
The cooling is the best I've ever had in any laptop, you never feel the heat!!!

Easy guides to upgrade memory/SSD which I haven't done because this laptop is FAST as I need it, and any really general gaming user... it's quick enough for anything.

Powercord is a little heavy

the CHARGE just web surfing, watching movies lasts for like 3-4 hours no problem!
to Disable KEYPAD once you plugin mouse just hit "FN" key and the f9 key

One problem had to fix: Sound Hissing noise with headphones, fix it with USB headphones or External $30 sound card from soundblaster

Problem 2: The flickering screen lines randomly in dark light(brightness setting)
Fix 1: turn up brightnes
Fix 2: use nvidia control panel--> create custom resolution, 67 hertz on refresh rate- FLICKERING GONE 4 GOOD.

Overall, don't debate buying this laptop, it's cool as hell and looks damn good.

This forum has alot of problems about these laptops, but I'm here to tell you, g750JW IS FLAWLESS peiece of art for the price and power / gpu you get, it's literally unbeatable in todays market or gaming laptops.

& if weight is your issue/battery life, DONT GET A GAMING LAPTOP!!!

balundab
09-13-2013, 04:03 AM
agree. same deal as u got my at best buy + the geek squad insurance so my dumb ass cant ruin my 1300 dollar laptop with a sprite. not a single problem i couldnt overcome with google and DIY attitude. things bad ass. now just need to get that ssd :)

adamsyes
09-13-2013, 04:07 AM
the $1249 one.

I could have bought any laptop I wanted, price was not an issue, except the fact I'm an impulse shopper. I woke up wanted to buy gaming laptop TODAY.

Got the 750JW from best buy... I've had it few months now and let me tell you, I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

The keyboard LED lights up BEAUTIFUL (1 minor issue, must press decent pressure on keys)
The graphics card GTX765M works beautifully on any game, I play Guild Wars 2/Black OPs 2 on high settings, no problems..

Easy guides to upgrade memory/SSD which I haven't done because this laptop is FAST as I need it, and any really general gaming user... it's quick enough for anything.

the CHARGE just web surfing, watching movies lasts for like 3-4 hours no problem!

One problem had to fix: Sound Hissing noise with headphones, fix it with USB headphones or External $30 sound card from soundblaster

Problem 2: The flickering screen lines randomly in dark light(brightness setting)
Fix 2: use nvidia control panel--> create custom resolution, 67 hertz on refresh rate- FLICKERING GONE 4 GOOD.

Overall, don't debate buying this laptop, it's cool as hell and looks damn good.

This forum has alot of problems about these laptops, but I'm here to tell you, g750JW IS FLAWLESS peiece of art for the price and power / gpu you get, it's literally unbeatable in todays market or gaming laptops.

if you would like to fix the flickering screen lines. download the lastest NVIDIA driver and increase your monitor resolution screen from 60Hz to 100Hz. this will not only fix the flickering, but will make everything look smooth. as if you had a 120Hz TV :) but be careful. I know there are two kind of monitor brands on the G750 series, could you perhaps tell me what kind of monitor you have? you can find that under device manager > display or monitor

Zygomorphic
09-13-2013, 12:31 PM
the $1249 one.

Welcome to the forums, @Rift999! +rep for posting about the positives of this laptop. It's another example to point to of people who are having a good experience with their computer. Most people look at the number of support threads on the forum, and think that ASUS has quality issues (which they occasionally do, but that's another matter). Here are my thoughts on what you said.

Interesting shopping habits, I must admit...I don't do that, then again, price is an issue for me. Glad you love it! My G53SX was not an impulse buy, and it's running really well after two years of work.

Matte screen - I don't think I'll be able to buy a glossy screen again. My smartphone's screen is glossy, and it's a fingerprint magnet. Not to mention I can use it as a shaving mirror in sunlight...:cool:
The key pressure issue is the design of the keyboard. It's partly because this is a gaming laptop, so the keyboard is designed to be pressed hard, to eliminate accidental strokes. Once you get used to it, it's really nice. I love my G53SX's keyboard.
You should see the newer G750JH, it's coming out with the GTX780M, which is going to be awesome! My GTX560M is kind of sad...I never play games more intense than Quake III - even that's infrequent. Oh, and Quake III runs on my smartphone. :p
Cooling in G-series laptops has always been good. Kudos to the ASUS engineers who pulled it off! Please never compromise on the cooling, my laptop runs almost silently at idle, and quieter - and faster! - than my friends' slower laptops at full load.

SSD upgrade would actually make a significant difference, RAM, not so much. I have 16 GB in my laptop, since I run VM's on a regular basis. I need more storage than an SSD provides, so I have two HDDs in my laptop, one is a hybrid, which is pretty cool.

Power supply is heavy because it needs to be that big, it's normally 150-180+ Watts, that's a big brick. If it were smaller, it would wear out, and/or throttle the laptop.

Why would you want to disable the keypad? Or do you mean the trackpad?

Thanks for all your feedback! Please make sure to join my "Perfect Hardware Support Group" if you haven't already! (See my signature for link).

iweber95
09-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Really glad to see some more positive feed back on the laptops! I'm really glad to finally see that someone enjoys their G750 as much as I do. : D

UnfairAwesomeness
09-14-2013, 03:01 AM
I returned the g750jw from best buy 6 TIMES!, it looks like this #7 is a good one, I sure hope so. Definitively going to upgrade to 24gb ram and 240gb ssd (as soon as i figure out how to clone the darn thing, windows 8 is annoying as well... windows 8, can't think of anything almost as annoying) and I guess put carbon fiber skin on it (would be easier if I had exact dimensions of everything, would make it much easier ;) ).

cronik916
09-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I returned the g750jw from best buy 6 TIMES!, it looks like this #7 is a good one, I sure hope so. Definitively going to upgrade to 24gb ram and 240gb ssd (as soon as i figure out how to clone the darn thing, windows 8 is annoying as well... windows 8, can't think of anything almost as annoying) and I guess put carbon fiber skin on it (would be easier if I had exact dimensions of everything, would make it much easier ;) ).
lol man what best buy did u get your 750 at lol, the best buy in sacramento, CA never fails me and when something i got from there ever does they practically throw replacement for whatever it is at me lol. geek squad are idiots and i would rather shoot myself in the foot then wait 2 weeks for them to do a hard drive defrag and clean the registry and then try to charge me for it rofl. but ya like i said at the top im loving this thing, its silent. it never gets hot, although i do baby it and make sure its always raised whereever i put it, and it runs games as well as my desktop rig i built myself with 2 660sc in sli and a 3rd gen i7. i got mine to take to and from my shop where i design and engineer aftermarket parts for offroad vehicles in solidworks and autodesk 2014. it handles both with no sweat and while i got my 3axis cnc running i chill out grab my wireless microsoft gamepad and play some bf3 or grid 2 lol. amazing package and i truly love it. been a desktop gamer since my parents got a NEC 128 bit desktop and just looked at people trying to play **** on laptops and laughing at em for being silly. but these last couple years they have really stepped it up and now i dont know if ill be able to go back. ive used my monster rig maybe 2 hours since i got this g750 and i would buy it again in a heart beat. 7th times the charm lol. buy the oh **** insurance. trust me.

cronik916
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
wtf for some reason my ROG site tag has changed from balundab to cronik916 lol. how the hell, thats my ps3/gamer tag????

Nillaz
09-15-2013, 06:23 PM
lol man what best buy did u get your 750 at lol, the best buy in sacramento, CA never fails me and when something i got from there ever does they practically throw replacement for whatever it is at me lol. geek squad are idiots and i would rather shoot myself in the foot then wait 2 weeks for them to do a hard drive defrag and clean the registry and then try to charge me for it rofl. but ya like i said at the top im loving this thing, its silent. it never gets hot, although i do baby it and make sure its always raised whereever i put it, and it runs games as well as my desktop rig i built myself with 2 660sc in sli and a 3rd gen i7. i got mine to take to and from my shop where i design and engineer aftermarket parts for offroad vehicles in solidworks and autodesk 2014. it handles both with no sweat and while i got my 3axis cnc running i chill out grab my wireless microsoft gamepad and play some bf3 or grid 2 lol. amazing package and i truly love it. been a desktop gamer since my parents got a NEC 128 bit desktop and just looked at people trying to play **** on laptops and laughing at em for being silly. but these last couple years they have really stepped it up and now i dont know if ill be able to go back. ive used my monster rig maybe 2 hours since i got this g750 and i would buy it again in a heart beat. 7th times the charm lol. buy the oh **** insurance. trust me.

Glad to see there are others besides myself that are enjoying their BB units. I still primarily use my PC while at home, but it's fantastic having a machine I can take with me to work that's reasonably close as far as raw horsepower is concerned. I didn't get the Best Buy warranty, but after putting this rig through it's paces for a few weeks and being satisfied that I didn't get a lemon I did buy a SquareTrade ADH warranty for peace of mind...3 years protection for half the price of Best Buys 2 year plan. I figure that by the time 3 years rolls around it'll be time for another upgrade anyway.

I was originally on the fence over buying this or a new MSI, but the bottom line is that after using this thing for awhile I would also do it all over again without hesitation.

Zygomorphic
09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
I've had good luck with Bestbuy stuff (not laptop) in the past, though the "Geek Squad" doesn't know anything, and neither do their reps. Gotta love it when they try to trash-talk you, and you say, "I know, I've read about that two months ago." Really makes them annoyed. All they are useful for is pointing you to the right aisle.

cronik916
09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
ya i love when friends tell me they took there stuff to geek squad for 100 bucks and all they did was clean the registry and install 10 programs the friend doesnt need lol, but if u choose to be ignorant on knowledge of things u own then so be it i guess. too each there own lol.
i am really loving this rig tho, its the real deal. my friend bought a g75 last year, i picked it out for him, and it was the first time i actually took stock of how far mobile gaming rigs had come and was impressed not to mention his g75 just ripped up everything i made him throw at it lol. i finslly bit the bullet and went for the g750 i was eyeing and all i can say is its gg. cheers

Mistergone
09-15-2013, 09:32 PM
I just want to put my 2 cents in a say that I also picked my G750JW up from BestBuy about 2 weeks ago and am very very happy (excluding the forced move to Win 8) with my system.
I had a G73sw but it suffered a motherboard/graphics card failure and it wasn't cost effective to fix. I know these types of forums are typically used to trouble shoot issues so they can often give a negative impression but there are plenty of us happy ASUS users out there. I've used the helpful knowledge found on this board to fix the line issue on the screen and boost my audio drivers. Besides that my games run flawlessly, and now that I've customized windows enough to mimic 7 I don't have a single complaint. No manufacturer is perfect but I'll be sticking with ASUS for the foreseeable future.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-16-2013, 09:05 PM
If you are going to get the Geek squad warranty, mind as well get the 750jx from amazon with 3-year square trade warranty for $1,681.22 (compared to 1249.99 +429.99=1679.98) You get 16gb of ram (vs 8gb), gtx 770m (vs 765m), bluray drive (vs dvd), 750gb 7200rpm (vs 1000gb 5400rpm, going to replace it with ssd anyways but meh...). There is a $13.63 shipping charge, but maybe you can contact them to change it because on ebay they are selling it with free shipping (I don't think you get squaretrade discount through ebay though).