PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW hard drive upgrade

ZackR32
09-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Ok iv searched a bit I get how to change the hard drive and everything but what I'm confused about is I have two hard drives 500GB each but one C partition. If I want to only change one HD out for a SSD 500gb lets say, but keep one of the old 500GB (SATA?) then how do I go about dealing with the data that's currently on it given that I only see one partition.

cl-Albert
09-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound normal unless you're running RAID?

If necessary, check your disks under Disk Manager (right click 'Computer' and choose 'manage') just to confirm both hard drives are seen by the system, and partitioned and formatted correctly (you should see the drive letters listed for each drive too).

If you are running RAID, unfortunately, I only know enough to get myself in trouble, so you may want to get information from others about how to proceed if you have any concerns about your data although I would back up anything important first anyway.

ZackR32
09-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Ok it says DISK 0: 300MB healthy 900MB Healthy (recovery partition) OS (C:) 910.21GB NTFS Healthy (boot,page file, crash dump, primary partition) 20.01GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

So my bad I understood it wrong but I'm very sure I physically have two internal hard drives so how would that work if I replaced one. And would it make sense that I have 2 internal hard drives factory installed? I can open it again

Clintlgm
09-14-2013, 02:50 AM
That sounds like partition rather than a disk?

Clintlgm
09-14-2013, 02:58 AM

You see here I have 3 hard drives
Disk 0 has two partition's EFI and C:
Disk 1 has 2 partitions D: and E:
Disk 2 is an external drive with 1 partition

SHADO
09-14-2013, 03:08 AM
So my bad I understood it wrong but I'm very sure I physically have two internal hard drives so how would that work if I replaced one. And would it make sense that I have 2 internal hard drives factory installed? I can open it again

May I ask which EXACT model of G75VW you have?

Clintlgm
09-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Look if you don't have 2 hard drives you do have 2 hard drive bays. I think 2 500 GB hard drives unlikely. My Guess is you have a 1 TB drive with at least 2 Volumes C: and D: pluse system partitions. This thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) has all the information you need to upgrade to a SSD

SHADO
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
My Guess is you have a 1 TB drive with at least 2 Volumes C: and D: pluse system partitions.

That's what I was thinking, too. :)

GottiBoi55
09-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Ok it says DISK 0: 300MB healthy 900MB Healthy (recovery partition) OS (C:) 910.21GB NTFS Healthy (boot,page file, crash dump, primary partition) 20.01GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

You need to open back panel to check and verify how many drives you actually have.
But I agree with the others, you have a 1TB drive that's partitioned into two 500GB partitions!
(C-drive with the OS, and D-dive for Data)

Here's a YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlsfk10PUA) tutorial on how to install/upgrade to SSD

Now for the Windows 8 install, you can use this cloning software Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) to install the OS (quicker), or do a clean install. (Guide) (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31733-Clean-Windows-8-install-on-GPT-SSD-drive-(G75VX))

cl-Albert
09-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound normal unless you're running RAID?

If necessary, check your disks under Disk Manager (right click 'Computer' and choose 'manage') just to confirm both hard drives are seen by the system, and partitioned and formatted correctly (you should see the drive letters listed for each drive too).

If you are running RAID, unfortunately, I only know enough to get myself in trouble, so you may want to get information from others about how to proceed if you have any concerns about your data although I would back up anything important first anyway.

Just thinking it may not be such a great idea to check the hard drives in Windows Disk Management and it's probably better to check the physical drives and model(s) as GottiBoi55 suggested, or maybe in the bios under 'advanced' and Sata Configuration.

shamasa776
12-17-2014, 07:45 AM
i have a question my hard drive recently went out in my g75vw i was forced to put a 160gb Hard drive in it to be able to use the machine again i know the machine has 2 hard drive bays but.... will it accually support 2 hard drives ?