PDA

View Full Version : Dvd drive please help!

GarretG
09-15-2013, 01:19 AM
I am running windows 8.1 preview on my G55. My dvd drive wont READ ANYTHING. it has been working fine on 8.1 for a month now and suddenly it has stopped seeing and reading every disk I feed it. Movie dvds, music cds.. it doesnt matter. I ran windows dvd drive diagnostic it says all media is unreadable. I call BS. Please help! :( :mad:

GarretG
09-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Oh and for good measure I already checked the drivers.

GarretG
09-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Update: I got an error message from Itunes saying its software it uses for dvd/cd burning purposes when I opened the program. It asked me to reinstal Itunes because the Dvd/cd stuff it was talking about is corrupt in the registry. Thoughts as to how it relates to the whole computers issue? every time click on another window and then go back to Itunes My cd pinwheel pops up on my cursor and I can hear and feel the drive kick on and search for a cd. It is not programmed to do that and never has until now.

GottiBoi55
09-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Update: I got an error message from Itunes saying its software it uses for dvd/cd burning purposes when I opened the program. It asked me to reinstal Itunes because the Dvd/cd stuff it was talking about is corrupt in the registry. Thoughts as to how it relates to the whole computers issue? every time click on another window and then go back to Itunes My cd pinwheel pops up on my cursor and I can hear and feel the drive kick on and search for a cd. It is not programmed to do that and never has until now.

Have you looked in the "auto run" options?
you can set WMP back to the default player there!

PS: BTW, by default windows now won't play DVDs without a third party player like VLC Player (free) or PowerDVD (payed)

GarretG
09-15-2013, 04:29 AM
funny you should take me there... My disk drive is MIA from the auto play screen and settings

GottiBoi55
09-15-2013, 04:42 AM
funny you should take me there... My disk drive is MIA from the auto play screen and settings

Well I meant the "windows AutoPlay" defaults settings (see below)

Clintlgm
09-15-2013, 05:05 AM
GarretG, I think this may be your problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060, This was a problem with Windows XP and 7 for awhile. We haven't heard of this with Window 8 but its worth checking.

GarretG
09-15-2013, 05:24 AM
ok so I tried both and I found those settings and they are all good and dandy and this laptop came with Asus dvd software...

GottiBoi55
09-15-2013, 06:04 AM
ok so I tried both and I found those settings and they are all good and dandy and this laptop came with Asus dvd software...

Have you tried reinstalling the Asus dvd software?

GarretG
09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
I dont think I can, i'd have to buy it. besides why would that stop me from installing programs and reading music cd's? All that software is just a movie viewer(like windows movie viewer) on windows 7 or vista.

Clintlgm
09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Does it show up in the BIOS
If not you may have a hardware problem
You might want to try removing it and reinstalling it Physically hoping its a bad connection? There is one screw on the underside of your NB that will let the DVD Caddy come out.

GarretG
09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
well I just trudged around in BIOS a bit and couldn't find any of my hardware lists. If i could get a location of where it should be it would be appreciated. this laptop is only 2 months old I hope the drive is not bad already :(

Clintlgm
09-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Well under the boot tab your DVD should be an option?

GarretG
09-15-2013, 11:38 PM
So the disk drive is not in bios :( that blows

SHADO
09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
What if you try removing the drive and re-inserting it. Might be a bad connection. Got nothing to lose.

EDIT: Oops. I see that Clintlgm already suggested that.

GottiBoi55
09-15-2013, 11:50 PM
I dont think I can, i'd have to buy it. besides why would that stop me from installing programs and reading music cd's? All that software is just a movie viewer(like windows movie viewer) on windows 7 or vista.

Okay, so your drive is totally missing, not showing in the Device Manager, or BIOS?
Sorry, I thought your drive just stop reading all media but was still showing up, my bad!

Did you update you BIOS Firmware lately?

GarretG
09-16-2013, 12:18 AM
I have not updated bios since I got the computer 2 months ago. It does show up in 'this PC' screen. it is missing everywhere else.

GarretG
09-16-2013, 01:07 AM
UPDATE: my bios was out of date but it didn't fix anything.

GottiBoi55
09-16-2013, 01:34 AM
UPDATE: my bios was out of date but it didn't fix anything.

Wow, still missing even in Disk Management?
Sounds like hardware failure then!

Edit: or could be bad sata interface connection.

GarretG
09-16-2013, 01:37 AM
It is in my disk management where I can format patrons for my hard drive in windows! that's a glimmer of hope! you have a picture of where that screw is for the connection?

Clintlgm
09-16-2013, 01:42 AM
I agree with SHADO, Here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYRrtwa-Yc) that shows you where the screw is and how to remove it.

SHADO
09-16-2013, 01:48 AM
I agree with SHADO, Here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYRrtwa-Yc) that shows you where the screw is and how to remove it.

Ha, you beat me to it! I was just about to post the same video link, LOL. :)

GottiBoi55
09-16-2013, 01:51 AM
Ha, you beat me to it! I was just about to post the same video link, LOL. :)

Agree, could be a bad SATA connection, or hardware failure!

GarretG
09-23-2013, 03:34 AM
No luck :( asus is being a pain. I need to sent my laptop in apparently. screw them... I am a college student I cant do that. This thing is 2 months old. I will NEVER buy another asus computer. Especially when you buy something this expensive you expect it to work...