PDA

View Full Version : Water pump solution for multiple radiators.

Rippedsoul
08-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm looking for a waterpump solution to pump through 4 graphic card blocks, a cpu block, a 120 radiator, and a 360 radiator. Anyone have any ideas of what brand/models would be reliable for this and have a good lifespan.

This is my first water-cooled rig and I want to do it right the first time, so price isn't really a factor.

Area 66
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi, first of all CPU block are very restrictive compare to GPU block, since you have 4 GPU , I will make 2 loops, so 2 pumps, speaking of 4 GPU, I don't know which GPU you are using, but with 4 GPU + 1 CPU , you Rad may not be up to the task. I will never put 2 x gtx 580 and a CPU on a rad setup like your's.

Cyrekk
08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
The Liang D5 is supposed to be pretty much the way to go for almost any loop, and the variable speed one let's you adjust the pump to suit your loop and noise preferences. It is rebranded by most major WC suppliers but the all look like this: http://www.acousticpc.com/images/a_laing_d5_pump_full_pic.jpg

Dual loop might be a good idea for your setup, as MarkedOne already stated. I would look into setting that up if you can.

Ferosin
08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
The Lang D5 is your best bet if you are only going to use one pump. Danger Den and Koolance make a great reservoir that you can integrate a D5 in to save space, I use the Danger Den monsoon myself.

Run your GPU blocks in parallel, that will lessen the restriction somewhat, no need to run dual loops as the temperature difference between one or two loops using the same hardware is negligible.

Depending on what temps you are looking for and which video cards you are using the 120 and 360 rad may not be enough especially if you are overclocking. Just because a part is expensive in watercooling doesnt mean its the best one. It would really help if you listed what case and blocks you plan to use.

Rippedsoul
08-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Sorry I didn't go into very much detail. Here's more info. And thanks for the replies.

I'm using the koolance CPU block.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_498_491&products_id=30269

580 GTX Card/block combo (x4)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130665

8x Feser/Noiseblocker Triebwerk TK-123 NB-Multiframe® 120mm x 55mm High Speed Fan - 2800 RPM on a push/pull configuration. On both the 120 rad and 360 rad.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31421

A Corsair 800D Case
http://www.corsair.com/cases/obsidian-series/obsidian-series-800d.html

Case, PSU, and Four Noiseblocker Triebwerk are all I have so far. I'm only spending about $500-$600 a month and a big profit-share bonus coming in October and possiblely my taxes. So these purchases will be done over several month's time. Hopefully I'll have everything by the time the 8170 bulldozer hits the shelves.

Area 66
08-28-2011, 01:28 AM
hummmm Triebwerk on a Fezer rad in a 800d , that's tell me something....... ya my son old PC have this with a i5-750 and a single GTX 480, no way you can put 4 x 580 in a triple + single rad

sorry for the dust, it was before I clean it

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/800d.jpg

Rippedsoul
08-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the pic and info, MarkedOne. I might have to come up with an external radiator solution. Maybe go into work early and use some shop machinery. If I go that route, I could use whatever sized rads I want for the GPUS and use a Corsair H100 on the top or an H80 on the back for the bulldozer. I guess I have alot of thinking and planning to do yet. But I'm still determined to go 4-way SLI watercooling. 0_o

I'm still open to any suggestions anyone has on this subject.

pcjunkie209
08-28-2011, 05:00 AM
To be honest I would run a quad rad on gpus. But since your using a 800d I would run two triples on gpus and at least two pumps. And for CPU at least a 240mm or h80 or h100. I have a little experience running 4way 580 and ocing them. I have a quad rad single pump and Koolance 452x2 res. All on Black and Xpander for ocing and gpus were HOT!! So if your gonna OC you'll have beat my quad. FYI

Ferosin
08-28-2011, 08:25 AM
To fit all that in an 800D you are going to need to do some serious mod work, especially sine you are staying with the feser tribe fans. Put a 480 in the top, a 120 or 140 in the back, (or externally mount a 360) and a 240 in the bottom after removing the hard drive cage. Hopefully you have a 1500w psu to power all those cards or are you planning to use a gpu psu in the drive bays. Definitely will need two pumps for all that gear to keep a good flow rate.

Rippedsoul
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Contemplating buying a cheap $75 2U or 3U rackmount chassis and taking a nibbler and drill press to it to turn it into a radiator case with however many radiators I can fit in it and it's independant PSU. I figure an independant PSU would make maintenence a bit easier. And there would be plenty of room to do two loops into my system if I went that route. And I could still stick with a simple H100 for my processor for it's own loop. Plus it'd give me some practice casemodding without accidently messing up my expensive 800D.

The 580 GTX cards are already pre-OC'ed for their water blocks. I don't think I'll go beyond those specs or have any reason to. I wouldn't want to loose the already tested stability of them. I do have a dual-purpose for the cards. Both being ready for future and high-res texture modded games, and I'm a folding nutjob. I need to figure out how to catch up to the TheGarage. 0_o

Ferosin
08-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Danger den sells a nice external rad case but that wont help you with your psu. If you are going to run an external PSU then you will have to mod your 800d theres just no way to get the cables, which you will have to make extensions for, inside otherwise.

800D is a great case but for what you want I'd suggest you look at a Silverstones TJ 07 or TJ 11, a Mountain Mods case, or Lil Devil case designed for watercooling all of them will support dual psu's they cost more but they will save you a ton of work.

If your buying the EVGA cards one at a time look at when you will be able to purchase the last one since there is no guarantee that they will still have the 580 HC2 3072 for sale still. You might be better served by waiting till Q1/Q2 of next year when Kepler is supposed to reach mass production, a more exact date should come out by December if Nvidia gets working samples in by then.

Rippedsoul
08-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Danger den sells a nice external rad case but that wont help you with your psu. If you are going to run an external PSU then you will have to mod your 800d theres just no way to get the cables, which you will have to make extensions for, inside otherwise.

800D is a great case but for what you want I'd suggest you look at a Silverstones TJ 07 or TJ 11, a Mountain Mods case, or Lil Devil case designed for watercooling all of them will support dual psu's they cost more but they will save you a ton of work.

If your buying the EVGA cards one at a time look at when you will be able to purchase the last one since there is no guarantee that they will still have the 580 HC2 3072 for sale still. You might be better served by waiting till Q1/Q2 of next year when Kepler is supposed to reach mass production, a more exact date should come out by December if Nvidia gets working samples in by then.

Well. I was planning on building a radiator/pump setup completely independant from the 800D. With it's own power supply, etc. I might go with the easier route. I'm doing research on the Koolance's ERM-3K3UC (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1172) External system. It's about the same as what I'm thinking, but on a single loop. Might cost me a few hundred more but alot less headache to go that route.

As for the cards, I 'should' have enough to get all four at once when I get my profit-sharing bonus. But I'm not completely relying on that. I do know the new generation of graphics cards are coming soon and I've been contemplating that. But no real release dates have been given. And then the first line of new gen of cards are usually not as good as the last bit of the last generation of cards. There will always be new hardware coming out - So if you're willing to wait a few months for better, then wait a few months for better, and you want the best, then you're going to be waiting an awfully long time. How's that for a run-on sentence?

Ferosin
08-29-2011, 12:15 AM
How are you going to power all 4 cards and the system though, the largest quality PSU's on the market are only 1500w and rated for tri-sli afaik there isn't a quad sli psu, and the HC2 are already overclocked?

True if you're always looking for the latest and greatest its just another month or two away, I wasnt sure what your timeline was for buying the last card so I mentioned Kepler.

Rippedsoul
08-29-2011, 12:54 AM
How are you going to power all 4 cards and the system though, the largest quality PSU's on the market are only 1500w and rated for tri-sli afaik there isn't a quad sli psu, and the HC2 are already overclocked?

True if you're always looking for the latest and greatest its just another month or two away, I wasnt sure what your timeline was for buying the last card so I mentioned Kepler.

Well. I've heard of several people running 3x 480's on 80+ 1000w PSU's. And I know 580's are alot more power-efficient. Right now I have a Corsair AX1200 80+ Gold. At the worse, I can try and if it doesn't work, upgrade. Or I could grab two and check wattage usage and decide from there. I'd like to wait for the next generation, but that'd require me sewing up the hole in my pocket. And I'm pretty terrible at sewing.

Area 66
08-29-2011, 01:14 AM
My question is what motherboard are you gone use for a Quad SLI ?

Rippedsoul
08-29-2011, 01:48 AM
I would have loved to have used an Asus. I suppose I could with an XPander - except that they're impossible to find and requires an extreme case-mode to fit.

The only other two I can find is GA-990FXA-UD7, and an Asrock board. I'm not a big fan of Asrock boards. Other than that, there's only Intel based. And I plan to stick with an AM3+ 990FX board for the upcoming bulldozers.

pcjunkie209
08-29-2011, 03:13 AM
AS TO psu WHY NOT aNTEC HIGH CURRENT PRO 1200?

OOPS CAP LOCKS

Rippedsoul
08-29-2011, 04:00 AM
AS TO psu WHY NOT aNTEC HIGH CURRENT PRO 1200?

OOPS CAP LOCKS

Well. . . I haven't had much experience with Antec. But I used a 650W Corsair on another system for awhile and had good results. So I studied reviews and stress tests on the Corsair AX1200 and it got really good reviews. I guess I was going with what I already knew rather than risking it. If I was a pro builder with sponsers or I didn't have limitted funds, I'd try out all the hardware I could. Plus I'm using a Corsair case - they match. :p

Area 66
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
If I was you I will take a case like Mountain Mod, and use 3 quad rad and 2 PSU. They sale an adaptor to plug betwen the PSU 24 pins and the Motherboard to make the 2 PSU start at same time.

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/ULT40011-a.jpg

H4VOK89
09-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Is the h100 worth the buy?

xeromist
09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Is the h100 worth the buy?

Compared to? Bang for the buck it is definitely a good buy. It has performance which can approach a custom system without the cost and hassle. On the other hand if you want the best cooling then doing the research and putting together a custom loop will give you better temps, more overclocking headroom, and possibly quieter performance(depending on your choice of radiator(s) and fans).

DarthBeavis
09-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Use Danger Den Monsoon Res which you attach a D5 pump to. It has two inlets and two outlets so you can do a quasi parallel loop but still have one common res which means you have the safety of thermal shutdown still.