PDA

View Full Version : Replacement ODD bezel?

Nillaz
09-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to order replacement parts for the G750 from Asus or anywhere else? I looked on the Asus eStore and they don't even have our model listed yet.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my DVD drive to a BluRay writer and was hoping that I could replace my existing DVD bezel with the one that has the BluRay logo on it....yeah I know it's stupid but I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about things like that.

If anyone could point in the direction of someone who might be able to help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Pitcher@asus
09-18-2013, 06:47 AM
please call service center or find the locally computer shop.

hmscott
09-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm getting ready to upgrade my DVD drive to a BluRay writer and was hoping that I could replace my existing DVD bezel with the one that has the BluRay logo on it....yeah I know it's stupid but I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about things like that.
If anyone could point in the direction of someone who might be able to help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Nillaz, I replaced my G750JX DVD drive with an LG CT40N, and the flat non-curved bezel looks great to me. It is indented a bit which makes the flat bezel look normal - it doesn't look out of place.

But, if you find the order # for the stock Blu-ray bezel, let us know :)

Nillaz
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
please call service center or find the locally computer shop.

I'll call the service center and see what they say. Much obliged!

Nillaz
09-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Nillaz, I replaced my G750JX DVD drive with an LG CT40N, and the flat non-curved bezel looks great to me. It is indented a bit which makes the flat bezel look normal - it doesn't look out of place.

But, if you find the order # for the stock Blu-ray bezel, let us know :)

Thanks for the confirmation that LG drives work without a bezel swap. I've decided on the LG BT30N so in the worst case scenario if I can't track down the Asus BR bezel it's good to know that I have another option besides using the DVD bezel that came with the laptop. I've finished upgrading RAM and installed an SSD so a BR burner is next on the hit list and should happen one way or another by the end of next week.

If you have some time is it possible that you could link to a pic of your laptop with the LG bezel? Regardless, if I do come across the order # I'll be sure to post it here.

hmscott
09-18-2013, 04:53 PM
I've decided on the LG BT30N so in the worst case scenario if I can't track down the Asus BR bezel it's good to know that I have another option besides using the DVD bezel that came with the laptop. I've finished upgrading RAM and installed an SSD so a BR burner is next on the hit list and should happen one way or another by the end of next week.

If you have some time is it possible that you could link to a pic of your laptop with the LG bezel? Regardless, if I do come across the order # I'll be sure to post it here.

When you burn your first full BDXL 128GB drive, please post here how long it took, if the performance has improved enough, maybe I will give it a try. I had 1 Blu-ray burner in a laptop, and burned 1 25GB disk, and it took way too long to complete the backup so I moved to USB external disks for backup

I don't have a creation workflow requiring Blu-ray mastering, so for me the BD-R works great for watching Blu-ray movies.

I will save the joy of the surprise of the beauty of the square bezel in the curved hole for when you put in your BD drive :)

Nillaz
10-03-2013, 04:12 AM
SO I received my BT30N and did the swap tonight. Easy peasy. I held off on contacting the service center for a new bezel because I wanted to see what it looked like installed with the drive recessed. It doesn't look bad but you can see the bare drive from underneath the laptop. I don't stare at the the bottom of the laptop so it's not a huge deal but I don't want to add another point for dust to get at the internals. If I have time I'll call the Asus service center tomorrow and see what I can do about that replacement bezel.

HMScott - I have a server I use for backup/archiving purposes so I don't keep BDXL on hand lol. If I happen to come across one in my travels I'll grab it for testing purposes. By and large though my workflow doesn't need anything more that BD-R and the very occasional BD-R DL. Given the option I try to use my BR burner in either my desktop or my workstation as those drives are significantly faster, but when I'm on the road I'll take what I can get. :D

hmscott
10-03-2013, 04:17 AM
SO I received my BT30N and did the swap tonight. Easy peasy. I held off on contacting the service center for a new bezel because I wanted to see what it looked like installed with the drive recessed. It doesn't look bad but you can see the bare drive from underneath the laptop. I don't stare at the the bottom of the laptop so it's not a huge deal but I don't want to add another point for dust to get at the internals. If I have time I'll call the Asus service center tomorrow and see what I can do about that replacement bezel.

HMScott - I have a server I use for backup/archiving purposes so I don't keep BDXL on hand lol. If I happen to come across one in my travels I'll grab it for testing purposes. By and large though my workflow doesn't need anything more that BD-R and the very occasional BD-R DL. Given the option I try to use my BR burner in either my desktop or my workstation as those drives are significantly faster, but when I'm on the road I'll take what I can get. :D

Nillaz, it takes a little while to get past the esthetics, but like you said, we don't see it when it's right side up. It shouldn't stick out to the point you would be concerned about dust getting inside... did you swap the mounting bracket on the old drive to the new one?

The LG drive is quiet when playing back BD-R's, I am happy.

I really want to know how long it will take to write a full BD-XL :)

Nillaz
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I did swap the bracket. It is properly installed but on the bottom you can see that it doesn't sit flush by about a third of an inch. In and of itself this wouldn't concern me, but the right hand side has a pretty sizable gap (due to the odd shape of notebook drives) where I can literally get my finger up in there. I don't see it as a serious issue and will be leaving it as is until I get a new bezel, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be more comfortable with the proper drive door. It's more of a long term issue.

hmscott
10-03-2013, 05:39 PM
I did swap the bracket. It is properly installed but on the bottom you can see that it doesn't sit flush by about a third of an inch. In and of itself this wouldn't concern me, but the right hand side has a pretty sizable gap (due to the odd shape of notebook drives) where I can literally get my finger up in there. I don't see it as a serious issue and will be leaving it as is until I get a new bezel, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be more comfortable with the proper drive door. It's more of a long term issue.

Nillaz, for now you could replace the bezel with the stock one from the DVD, it will fit, you just need to be careful to pop the tabs holding it on carefully (both drives). It will only say DVD, but it will form fit the laptop and remove the exposure.