PDA

View Full Version : [Opinion] G73JW repair or G750jh

A1207P
09-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey everybody,

Two years and ten months ago I bought my G73JW and even though we had some problems it was me who ultimately betrayed him, due to possibly lack of thermal grease and a lot of dust the GTX 460M is currently damaged and possibly with no possible repair. I have two base options now:
A) Buy a compatible replacement card 420 euro (about 561 dollars), a new GTX 460M 670 euro (895 dollars) ;
B) Buy a G750JH with 3D screen.

It would take four weeks to get the card (I live in Portugal btw). What would you do? Also when is it expected to start appearing? Stores only have in stock the G750JX-T4048H, so I would have to order it but I guess it would take more than a week.

Side note: I will be spending between 12 to 20 hours a day in front of the screen.
Kind regards.

cl-Albert
09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I may be biased since I work for ASUS, but my thoughts are below.

1. If money is not the issue and there are not any major drawbacks for you, it makes sense to have a newer and faster G750JH notebook (with better screen and warranty?) instead of the G73JW?
The G750JH will be running Windows 8, so make sure this will not be an issue and if you can try the notebook at the store before you buy, it should help.
You may also want to check what other G750JH owners think about their notebook.

2. Are you sure the video card replacement will get your G73JW working again and can you take the chance that there is a different problem or other problems too?

3. Although we like to think our ASUS notebooks will last forever and also know this isn't true, sooner or later your out-of-warranty G73JW may have other problems (battery, screen, fans, hard drive etc.), so make sure your expectations are reasonable for how much longer it will last and prepared for the possibility that other parts may wear out. Also, will the system be fast enough and still do everything you want?

If you didn't already do this, you may want to include a list of the reasons you should get the G750JH ('PROS') on a sheet of paper (or excel/word document) on the left side and reasons you should not get the G750JH ('CONS') on the right side to help you decide.
You may also need to decide which items are most important to you ('deal breakers').

Well, hope this helps.

A1207P
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey, one of their suppliers came up with a better proposal, 295 euro (407 dollar) with a 4 week delivery time (same as the other one) so I will most likely buy it and then buy the new model later this year when the spec that I want comes out, thinking about the g750jh 3d +ssd, is it possible to buy a model that is not available in your country and get the "correct" keyboard? Also, any idea when this version may come out?

1) The only drawback was that I didn't get expected this expense. Win8 is not a problem for me, I used dual boot 8+7.

2&3) HDD got a new one 6 weeks before the GC problem. New keyboard arrived 1 week before the problem. I didn't had much trouble with it's speed, but ofc playing at max would be awesome.

What I really wanted now was the G750JH 3D + SSD but I'm not even sure if it will come out in Portugal.

cl-Albert
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
, thinking about the g750jh 3d +ssd, is it possible to buy a model that is not available in your country and get the "correct" keyboard? Also, any idea when this version may come out?

It may not always be easy or possible to get keyboards from other regions, so you may need to check into this more.
I'm in the U.S., so unfortunately cannot tell you too much about it.
Don't know how well this will work, but you might check the service and support at the ASUS Portugal website here (http://www.asus.com/pt/), or check with local or nearby ASUS support at this contact page (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en) to ask about getting or 'special ordering' the keyboard you want.

1) The only drawback was that I didn't get expected this expense. Win8 is not a problem for me, I used dual boot 8+7.

ASUS hasn't approved or posted any Win7 drivers for the G750JH on their download site, so just be aware of this.
You will need to find Win7 drivers on your own, but hopefully other forum members can provide more information too.

What I really wanted now was the G750JH 3D + SSD but I'm not even sure if it will come out in Portugal.

If necessary, try checking with your local support at the links posted above in this message or any local stores you know.

This may not be possible or easy, but do you know many customers interested in the same unit and have you or other customers asked your local stores about special ordering the unit you want? It would probably help if you could find more people interested in purchasing the unit talk to the store too since it can be better to purchase locally in case you run into any issues.

If you care about warranty service, you may also want to make sure your local ASUS service center is able to take care of it or are clear about the warranty situation when you purchase.

Well, you may want to get more opinions about this.