PDA

View Full Version : Potential first time ROG buyer. G750 vs ENVY17

nineinchnail
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Okay, so I've wanted a G-series laptop since the G73 came out and I think I'm ready to take the leap and get a G750. Only thing is, the ENVY 17 caught my eye as well and I'm more of a multimedia user rather than a power gamer; I've heard that the G750 doesn't have the greatest sound or diplay...two areas in which the ENVY excels at. And tbh, if it came down to it, I'd sacrifice not being able to play every game at ultra for better audio and video. So was hoping to get opinions from G750 owners, basically just wondering how the display and sound are holding up. Also, if i do decide to go with the G750, would it be worth it to shell out extra for the JH as opposed to the JX?
Thanks

cristian.g
09-20-2013, 08:26 AM
i own JX version. unfortunately I have the cheap Chi Mei lcd panel, couldnt afford to pay more for the 120Hz panel. had some slight flickering on grey backgrounds but fixed it with a custon resolution (@93Hz i guess). If you can afford to get the more expensive display it's great. about sound, it's not good but it's not bad. sometimes tend to distort on very high bass games or music, but i use about 30-60% of the volume :D

there are some websites where you can configure this laptop (display, extra copper pipelines, some leds on exhaust vents, etc.). dont want to make advertisments, but google xotic pc.

Torst1
09-20-2013, 08:48 AM
My previous laptop was a HP ENVY17, and all I can say is the ENVY was a huge dissapointment. I was constantly having problems with overheating, gpu throtteling and preformance problems in general. But the overheating was the major issue, just try to do a google search for "envy17 overheating" and see how many hits u get... I got my envy17 in jan.2011, so i dont know about the latest ones, but I do not recommend the envy 17 at all. I replaced it with a G750JX a couple of weeks ago, and I couldnt be happier. The sound on the G750 isnt top notch, but i dont think its bad either. And I really like the display, opposed to the envy17 is doesnt feel like your looking into a mirror.

So i based upon my experiences I would highly recommend the G750 over the envy17

cronik916
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
buy this laptop. seriously. add 250 bucks to the price of the 765m model (jw) or 770m model for a samasung 840pro. its fing amazing how fast it is. u add that ontop of it being 1, quiet 2, virtually doesnt heat up, 3, most important! looks cool and 4, is cheap as **** for what u get. im a avid computer lover. i am the goto guy amongst everyone i know for computer knowledge and i seriously am impressed with this thing. i have a AMD FX 8350 with sabertooth 990FX mobo and 2 660sc in sli and this little comp that could /w the 840pro is faster than it. i dont know what else to say really buy one.

cronik916
09-20-2013, 09:07 AM
" The sound on the G750 isnt top notch, but i dont think its bad either. And I really like the display, opposed to the envy17 is doesnt feel like your looking into a mirror. " agree!
if u care anything about audio/sound/music then it should be a given that the laptop speakers would only ever be in use in, **** iono some type of circumstance lol. peopel who i see listening to songs on there little phone speakers or equivelent thing crack me up. in my mind thats like looking at a picaso painting in black and white. sure u get the gist of it but why look at all if u cant see it ie hear it like it was intended. silly.

Flea0
09-20-2013, 01:17 PM
the envy line is a good multimedia choice, but it has flaws. I had an envy 15 and it got pretty hot despite the extra cooling space due to lack of optical disc drive. i heard it got much worse with the envy 17. if you want multimedia, i'd go for the samsung chronos 7 which has a good matte display. i don't think you need a JH, you could get a JX and shell out a little extra for the awesome 120hz screen.

nineinchnail
09-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Cheers guys, ordered the jx. Thanks again for replying :)

iweber95
09-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Hope you like it! I'm in love with mine :D

Dream
09-22-2013, 01:08 AM
I switched to my ASUS G750 from an HP ... I will never go back.

The decision process is simple : if you do *anything* more intense than web browsing on your notebook, you need top notch cooling. ASUS offers that, HP does not.

Without it, eventually, you are going to have problems, you are going to be screwed and out of warranty, and you are going to be stuck scouring Amazon for a super duper external cooling pad, all the while wondering when your motherboard is finally going to fry.

Forget HP.

Kantm
09-22-2013, 02:10 AM
i own JX version. unfortunately I have the cheap Chi Mei lcd panel, couldnt afford to pay more for the 120Hz panel. had some slight flickering on grey backgrounds but fixed it with a custon resolution (@93Hz i guess). If you can afford to get the more expensive display it's great. about sound, it's not good but it's not bad. sometimes tend to distort on very high bass games or music, but i use about 30-60% of the volume :D

there are some websites where you can configure this laptop (display, extra copper pipelines, some leds on exhaust vents, etc.). dont want to make advertisments, but google xotic pc.

Hi Cristian, how do you fixed the flickering on grey background? it's a lil bit annoying to me...

xuanqil
11-15-2013, 06:26 AM
I bought a HP Envy 15 J025TX before; I7 4700MQ, GT 740M, beautiful machine. However, I had to refund it because the screen's frame was not installed/glued on properly. The right side was open and you literally can put a finger in there if you tried (plastic is VERY flexible). In addition, the right side of the screen overheats.I was going to return it for a new machine but after opening 3 new machines with all the same problems, refund I got. I'm currently stuck with my old ASUS N53SN but atleast it dorsnt have problems. Getting a G750JW in about 1-2 months time and I feel good paying an extra 300-400 bucks for a better laptop from a reliable company

mrboh
11-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I very nearly bought a G75VX just over a year ago .. at the last minute I changed my mind, got an ENVY 17 3270NR and am now left deeply regretting the decision a month outside of the warranty period since it has essentially melted. It had a beautiful screen and was speedy with a Samsung SSD inside it but, as per the other posters, for anything more than light use it heats up and dies. Will not be making the same mistake twice and looking forward to getting my hands on a G750!

Maxter
11-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Okay, so I've wanted a G-series laptop since the G73 came out and I think I'm ready to take the leap and get a G750. Only thing is, the ENVY 17 caught my eye as well and I'm more of a multimedia user rather than a power gamer; I've heard that the G750 doesn't have the greatest sound or diplay...two areas in which the ENVY excels at. And tbh, if it came down to it, I'd sacrifice not being able to play every game at ultra for better audio and video. So was hoping to get opinions from G750 owners, basically just wondering how the display and sound are holding up. Also, if i do decide to go with the G750, would it be worth it to shell out extra for the JH as opposed to the JX?

Thanks

You took the time to come to the forums asking, and hoping we would tell you the G750 sucks. Fail... Therefore, you already made your choice. G750 it is.