PDA

View Full Version : Performance help hmscott or anyones advice and suggestions please

fab5yo
09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Hey hmscott you are always giving good input on the ROG forum and just wanted to know if you could help me out on getting my system up to speed to yours. So i just bought 3dmark and i did a test on my g750jx i don't understand all the benchmark stuff but if there anyway you could help try to make my system any better or as good as your that would be great . Here a link to my results on fire 3d mark

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1265335?

and i have done all the updates on support asus.com expect the bios 208 and windows 8.1 i also noticed that we have different drivers installed. i have the lasted version on Nvidia 327.xx which came out a few days ago. please anything will help thanks again i know i am new to the ROG and this my first time getting in to PC gaming with awesome ASUS G750jx please i just to make my system the best it an be. Thanks

hmscott
09-23-2013, 02:40 PM
fabyo, happy to help, it is fun to OC, but time consuming. I hope others post their favorite benchmarks, tools, and tuning tips here too.

You need at least 2 apps to tune for better performance on the G750. One for CPU and one for Graphics. And, a monitoring tool for both - but in this case both tuning tools come with their own monitors.

ASUS GPU Tweak
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPU+Tweak&p=9&s=13

Version 2.4.3.1

Description ASUS GPU Tweak utility 2.4.3.1 version
support WINDOWS 8.1 PREVIEW
File Size 23,72 (MBytes) 2013.07.24 update

This is what it looks like, 2 panes, one for setting, one for monitoring - the monitoring one has a slider to view more values/graphs. These are my current everyday settings. But, I OC per benchmark, some take 5500mhz memory, some 5150 - all run fine at stock voltage at highest GPU OC - 932mhz.

Intel XTU or Extreme Tuning Utility will allow increasing / decreasing various CPU / integrated GPU settings. For the G750 I bump all the multipliers for core/cache up to maximum, and then reduce the Voltage Offset down (negative) as much as possible to reduce power / heat under load. I start at -100mv. My G750JW was stable at 100% CPU at -100mv. My G750JX is mostly stable at -75mv, but I run it at -50mv to be sure it is stable.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Here is the profile I am using, you can unzip and Import the .xtu file into your XTU in the Profile section (see jpg):

There are lots of system monitor programs, I will post some more of those later. And, there are lots of benchmarks. You already are running 3dmark and 3dmark11, which are a good start, and shareable over a long period of time - which is why they are so popular.

Here is my 3dmark Fire score, after using Asus Tweak Tool and Intel XTU + some Nvidia control panel, 3d tuning.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/855082

3dmark Ice Storm
http://www.3dmark.com/is/871697

3dmark Cloud Gate
http://www.3dmark.com/cg/776752

3dmark11
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7147510

What drivers were you referring to that you have that are different?

I am running Nvidia 327.23 WHQL release driver, and all the latest Asus drivers downloadable from support.asus.com.

The 3dmark results are from 326.80, but I am getting about the same numbers with the 327.23 release so I haven't rerun them all and posted them online.

Flea0
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
hmm what would be the battery life savings by undervolting 50 mV on the JX?

hmscott
09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
hmm what would be the battery life savings by undervolting 50 mV on the JX?

Ah, we are all thinking in terms of battery now :)

No, it is a heat issue, reducing the heat generated for long running CPU intensive work. Reducing heat reduces the fan noise, and can result in a higher sustained CPU speed - like right now, I was running at 0mv (no negative offset) and was running at 3.19ghz, and now at -100mv it is running at 3.36ghz!

Temps:

0mV

-100mV

CPU Speeds:

0mV

-100mV

Flea0
09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I'll take lower heat and fan rpm. If it means less fan noise and slower dust buildup, it's worth a shot.

hmscott
09-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I'll take lower heat and fan rpm. If it means less fan noise and slower dust buildup, it's worth a shot.

The only thing to be aware of is that putting in too much negative voltage will cause a crash/reboot. Always keep a mental, or written note of your tweaks / tuning per machine, in case the crash happens days after the change.

That is why I run some heavy CPU tests after changes like negative voltage offset to make sure it is stable. My current laptop won't hold -100mv long term under load, just -50mv, but I wanted you to see the wide difference in temp/speed between 0 and -100mV. If you don't run 100% CPU jobs often, you might get away with -100mv or more - I was able to run -150mV on my G750JW except on longer 100% CPU jobs.

If you start at -50mv you should be fine. I do the bump it up till it fails easily route, gets me to the right values quickest, then drop down +25mV till it works, and then use +-5mV till I find stability at 100% CPU usage over a few hours.

Flea0
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
well I stress tested a little with a simple -100mV undervolt and no multiplier increase and got an 8°C reduction in top temps so this is quite nice if it holds up. does it revert back to default voltage when rebooting?

hmscott
09-23-2013, 10:15 PM
well I stress tested a little with a simple -100mV undervolt and no multiplier increase and got an 8°C reduction in top temps so this is quite nice if it holds up. does it revert back to default voltage when rebooting?

XTU sets tunings for you automatically each reboot. If you crash, you need to start XTU manually, select Profile - Show Values - Apply, and new settings persist across reboots till the next crash - note: nvidia driver crashes don't count to XTU as crashes.

Flea0
09-23-2013, 10:29 PM
sounds simple enough. now if only there was a way to undervolt the gpu too to shut up the other fan a little, the G750 would be almost silent when browsing (the only time I'm not listening to audio, which makes their sound noticeable). unfortunately afterburner doesn't seem to want to play along. did ASUS lock voltage control on the gpu?

hmscott
09-23-2013, 10:38 PM
sounds simple enough. now if only there was a way to undervolt the gpu too to shut up the other fan a little, the G750 would be almost silent when browsing (the only time I'm not listening to audio, which makes their sound noticeable). unfortunately afterburner doesn't seem to want to play along. did ASUS lock voltage control on the gpu?

I was using Afterburner at first, but Asus GPU Tweak Utility works better with Asus parts, has a larger range of OC, and does voltage too - although I haven't played with under-volting much yet, give it a try and let us know how it works :)

Flea0
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I gave version 2.4.3.1 a try and it seems...unfinished. It doesn't really allow UNDERvolting either.

hmscott
09-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I gave version 2.4.3.1 a try and it seems...unfinished. It doesn't really allow UNDERvolting either.

All software is unfinished :)

What seemed incomplete?

Yes, just brought it up, and lowest Voltage settable in the GUI is 837v, just a tad below 850 stock voltage - must be why I haven't done it yet - minimal LowerVolting. :)

Did the minimum setting do anything for your tests?

Most likely graphics firmware limitations. Where is that guy with the modded graphics BIOS's made from the collected G750 765m/770m/780m graphics BIOS's?

Flea0
09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
mostly fonts not fitting in the UI - I hate that. and no, there is no appreciable difference.

fab5yo
09-24-2013, 12:17 AM
good news hmscott this the closest i have got to your 3dmaek score. the problem i have now is i can get the GPU voltage to 850 the lowest i can get is 862 on ASUS GPU app. But take a look at mt score now. thanks a bunch buddy for the good info i still don't understand what all this means in terms to the performance on my G750jx but i know it for the better.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1268679?

hmscott
09-24-2013, 12:27 AM
good news hmscott this the closest i have got to your 3dmaek score. the problem i have now is i can get the GPU voltage to 850 the lowest i can get is 862 on ASUS GPU app. But take a look at mt score now. thanks a bunch buddy for the good info i still don't understand what all this means in terms to the performance on my G750jx but i know it for the better.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1268679?

I don't think the voltage setting in Asus GPU Tweak is doing anything, just keep it at stock 850v (click Default to get all to default and then reset the GPU Clock / Mem Clock / Refresh to your desired setting.

Glad to hear you are having fun, try the other 3dmark tests too...

Click on the 3dmark results "Show Result Details" drop down, and click on the Orange vertical graph Bar - your fellow benchmarker results :)

fab5yo
09-24-2013, 12:43 AM
here go how dose this look guys

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1268756

hmscott
09-24-2013, 08:25 AM
here go how dose this look guys
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1268756

Looks great fab5yo, you have a fast / healthy example of a G750JX :)

fab5yo
09-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey hmscott is it ok to raise from 5000 to 5100 and set my display to 80 hz with damaging anything and still can't set the voltage to 850 even after I I hit the default.

hmscott
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Hey hmscott is it ok to raise from 5000 to 5100 and set my display to 80 hz with damaging anything and still can't set the voltage to 850 even after I I hit the default.

Be aware that if you have Asus GPU Tweak Utility set up to set values configured at boot time, and put in values that cause an Nvidia driver crash, you will have to wait for the driver crash to happen, recover, and bring you to the desktop - and it might not do that every time. I usually disable setting values at startup before playing with values I think may be nearing the edge.

I also stop/disable tools that might queue an Nvidia Cuda job up at boot time :)

Given those caveats, you can put any value in there and if the driver crashes, reboot, and try a number a little lower. My GTX770m will OC to 5500 for some tests like 3dmark11, but other tests like Furmark eat it at 5250, so I normally run at 5000 - but bump it up for test runs - and set specific values for that particular benchmark / CUDA run.

As to the refresh rate, I would test that with custome settings in the Nvidia Control panel, but I suppose you can do it from the Asus Tweak Tool, but if you stop using the Asus GPU Tweak tool the Nvidia settings will come back in to play.

My Chi Mei N173HGE screen rworks fine at 100hz, and will sync ok for a while at 105, 110, but not 120hz. I
think you could start at 100hz, and look for the telltale sparkley horizontal lines - or color problems.

As far as voltage, if you clicked default, that is the default value in your graphics card BIOS, so that is ok for your machine. Mine might have a different value in the vBIOS.

fab5yo
09-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey hmscott i more question i had to uninstalled Intel XTU because it was not letting me dim or put my laptop to sleep after no use of my rig for sometime. It just stayed on full power without dimming or entering sleep mode. So i uninstalled it and now it working fine also with Asus GPU app work like normal. Computer now dims and enters sleep mode after 5 minutes. MY ? is, is it RISKY to just run the GPU ASUS app with the setting you recommend with out messing up my rig. BEcause i did away with intel XTU app. These are my setting at the moment I have at 932, 862, 5000, 60hz and ran the 3dmark on fire starter and i got a score of 4001 without the intel XTU app at all. IS fine/ok or should I drop the setting a little bit. Like i said in early post i don't know how to monitor the computer and what i am suppose to look for when motioning so if you help with this last concern that would awesome. thanks hmscott for everything up to this point.

hmscott
09-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey hmscott i more question i had to uninstalled Intel XTU because it was not letting me dim or put my laptop to sleep after no use of my rig for sometime. It just stayed on full power without dimming or entering sleep mode. So i uninstalled it and now it working fine also with Asus GPU app work like normal. Computer now dims and enters sleep mode after 5 minutes. MY ? is, is it RISKY to just run the GPU ASUS app with the setting you recommend with out messing up my rig. BEcause i did away with intel XTU app. These are my setting at the moment I have at 932, 862, 5000, 60hz and ran the 3dmark on fire starter and i got a score of 4001 without the intel XTU app at all. IS fine/ok or should I drop the setting a little bit. Like i said in early post i don't know how to monitor the computer and what i am suppose to look for when motioning so if you help with this last concern that would awesome. thanks hmscott for everything up to this point.

My G750JX dims, turns off the screen, and sleeps while running XTU, I know because while testing with different Power Options power plans I had to go in and disable dimming, dark, and sleep because it started doing it :)

It isn't XTU that is causing dimming/dark/sleep issues, it is your different power plans. Go to Control Panel => System => Power Options => "change plan settings" for your selected power plan and change /add the delay for each:

XTU helps performance, but you could just as well run without it. I notice a difference in shorter run times for CPU jobs, and higher graphics performance - it is all a small improvement percentage wise - but as an absolute improvement it is the difference of an entire CPU's performance from not too many years ago.

A lot of small improvements add up to a noticeable overall improvement, including your own improved understanding of the underlying function of your computers, all of them - not just this laptop.

Both improvements add up to time well spent. :)

The two tuning tools work independently, so you can do GPU tuning without CPU tuning, or visa versa.

Tuning your disk, memory, and screen can also be done independantly.

Peperron
10-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Hello, My Name Is Jose and I'm using a G750JW I have it on Power 4gear High performance and when ever i'm using nero 10 to burn a DVD after I have edited a video and when it is transcoding the video ( About 8 or 10 minutest in to it ) before it starts to burn the compilation it shuts down, when I turn on the laptop again it starts where it left off, I monitored the temp on the cpu and it peaks around 92 degrees celcius is it normal ?, Should I return it and get it looked by ASUS ?, Please answer if possible. Thank You !

villiansv
10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
92 is a bit on the hotside, but nowhere near what would cause the cpu to shutdown. Admittedly, random shutdowns are weird. Run a few CPU (intelburntest or prime95) and GPU (furmark) stresstests to see if you can reliably reproduce.

adamsyes
10-02-2013, 03:04 AM
This HmScott is my idol :D

hmscott
10-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Hello, My Name Is Jose and I'm using a G750JW I have it on Power 4gear High performance and when ever i'm using nero 10 to burn a DVD after I have edited a video and when it is transcoding the video ( About 8 or 10 minutest in to it ) before it starts to burn the compilation it shuts down, when I turn on the laptop again it starts where it left off, I monitored the temp on the cpu and it peaks around 92 degrees celcius is it normal ?, Should I return it and get it looked by ASUS ?, Please answer if possible. Thank You !

The first thing I thought of is that Nero has an option to shutdown after completing a task, example:

"You can even set Nero Recode to shut down your PC automatically when the converting is complete. "

Take a run through the options in all the Nero tools in your workflow, one might be doing the shutdown.

The Highest temp on record during a run is met just before the fan kicks in and does the cooling - the JW hangs on quite a while before making noise so you can see seemingly high highest temps, but they are there only a second before the fan kicks in.

hmscott
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
This HmScott is my idol :D

Appreciating truth, justice, and the pursuit of the root cause of why things are the way they are, and how they got that way, is to be held frontmost in the pursuit of life - showing your work helps others to appreciate the joy of life.

Idolatry is the Objectification of admirable traits, but replaces the what, where, why, and when with only a replica of a pointer to the who or what.

An interesting limitation of reality :)

adamseyes, nice work on the How to OC, Thanks.

Peperron
10-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Hello, Thanks for all the answers, I did some other tests, this time on the power options settings , I set it for Balanced (recommended) and I changed the Dynamic CPU Voltage offset to -50mV and the Processor CACHE VOLTAGE Offset TO -50Mv and the temp was better and this time it did not shut down, while using the same conditions with Nero, I'll continue testing it and I'll let you guys know, Again Thanks to Everyone.

hmscott
10-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Hello, Thanks for all the answers, I did some other tests, this time on the power options settings , I set it for Balanced (recommended) and I changed the Dynamic CPU Voltage offset to -50mV and the Processor CACHE VOLTAGE Offset TO -50Mv and the temp was better and this time it did not shut down, while using the same conditions with Nero, I'll continue testing it and I'll let you guys know, Again Thanks to Everyone.

Awesome!, but perhaps not too awesome since your machine shouldn't be that sensitive to heat - even at 100% CPU without reducing the voltage offsets I haven't had a power off issue with my JW or JX.

Do you have a relatively hot ambient temperature? Is the space around the laptop open enough to keep heated exhaust from being sucked back in to the laptop, building heat over time?

I had a situation where I had my desk up against a wall, and put the laptop in the left corner, and found that it would get really hot because the heat was bouncing off the left and back wall back into the laptop. Moved the desk :)

If -50mv works, you might try -100mV, or even -125mV - it is always nice to see a failure so you know the upper limit - and XTU doesn't automatically set the failed settings at the next boot after the crash, so you can back out the change easily.

Have fun!

Peperron
10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Thank You for your suggestions , I'll keep notified about results.