PDA

View Full Version : G750JW adding a SSD

Ovelha
09-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
Thank you for your time! :D

cosmicmango
09-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
Thank you for your time! :D

If you're not going to do a clean install of Windows 8 the easiest way to load the SSD is with Asus Backtracker, you can download from the link below.

Download and install the program, you will need a 16GB flash drive, if there’s data on the drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process.

When it’s finish shut down your system and swap out the HDD with the SSD, plug in the flash drive and the installation will start. When it is finish it will put everything as it was right out of the box.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n/a

cronik916
09-24-2013, 01:23 AM
i have a 750JW as well and i did the same, bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb and did exactly as cosmicmango suggests. worked fine. make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format. then just shutdown and take out HDD and plug the ssd in its place after u made the asusbacktracker cd image. leave the HDD out and boot up with usb in and ssd in primary slot. cheers

cronik916
09-24-2013, 01:25 AM
the 750jw was a very nice laptop before but when i added the 840pro 256gb ssd this little laptop just went to work in straight god mode. so so fast. lol

Nillaz
09-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop).

Good luck!

oVrKiLL
09-24-2013, 02:57 AM
Im a new ROG owner and member to this forum and have to say that the support from the community is awesome!. I picked up a SSD last sat for my JW and did a clean windows install (left my recovery partition and UEFI partition just in case). Thanks everyone for being who you are!!!!

taberetta
01-01-2014, 10:42 PM
I have a Toshiba SSD that I want to add to my ASUS G750 JW and I did as posted, downloaded the Asus back up program and made a USB recovery drive, but since I have never done this before I am wondering if I can get more notes on the process and any Bios changes I may need to do, I have never made any Bios changes before so this is all new to me... and if this process does not work can I simply replace the HDD and boot back to what I was using before? Guys from Best Buy have made the process much more complicated than the posts here so I am just trying to get the facts before I do anything (do not want to mess up a new laptop). Thx very much for any help God bless and Happy 2014!

taberetta
01-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Update on adding SSD to G 750 JW

Everything went very well. The speed increase is amazing! I have heard the Windows experience index is not the best program for rating your system but it has always been consistent for me, and before the SSD my lowest score was the disk data transfer at 5.9, now it is the highest at 8.1! This laptop was really quick before but now it is the fastest system I've ever used. One last question if anyone can add extra information on adding the factory HDD back for mass storage I would appreciate it. I've been figuring all this out by searching online and because of sites like this I have had very few problems. I want to know if I need to use the Bios and/or format the HDD I took out since it still has windows 8.1 on it. Can I simply use disk manager like I did for making my Ram disk drive, which btw makes surfing the web about 30% faster if you add a cache, and in combination with the SDD it is simply mind-blowing. Take care and GB...

ZERO013
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
glad to see all of you are having success in upgrading the JW to a ssd... word of note I put the Samsung EVO 1tb in mine and after making the backtracker thumb drive I simply used the samsung migration software that comes with the ssd to transfer the image... this is helpful incase your recovery partition is between the c and d partitions as you can select what all you migrate so you don't run into having two separate partitions that you can't merge due to the asus recovery partition being in the way... Enjoy the upgrades... love this thing with the ssd... soo fast now.

noone
01-28-2014, 03:44 AM
make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format.

In what format? Can't find out anything by Googling. NTFS ok?

gazzacbr
01-28-2014, 04:42 AM
In what format? Can't find out anything by Googling. NTFS ok?
for windows partitions, yes.

the whole disk is in GUID format. thats the header at the start of the disk. (another choice could be MBR)
the individual partitions, you can have many, can be ntfs (for windows), fat32, hfs+ (for mac os x), and there are others.

noone
01-28-2014, 07:03 AM
I created the backup, connected the SSD to second slot, formatted, all good.

Swapped the SSD to slot 1 and used the recovery USB to boot. It starts the process, have to select the first 'OK', but not long after it comes up with an error message saying the recovery drive is unreadable.

The menu prompt is read from the USB? So I'm a little confused as to why. Tried it a few times, different ports, checked Bios that the SSD is registering ok, all looks normal.

This is a brand new JW, so could be a slightly different build. Can't imagine what went wrong, would be very upset if this was the only backup I had (still have HDD in working order, so will try again).

And ideas? USB3 ok? any Bios settings / compatibility issues people have come across?

Cheers, chugging along on the old Samsung for now.

noone
01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
think there was something wrong with the NTFS format, used Samsung app to clone and after some fuss, all good now.

Its a nice toy so far, certainly has its flaws, but early game testing has been positive

Kikzer
03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
(Huge Faking Noobie here) Why can't you just simply add the ssd to the right bay? Also for the Asus Backtracker, I'm seriously clueless.

noone
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
the point is to have the operating system installed on the SSD, this is what makes the computer quicker.
In order to do that, the disk needs to be set up as the OS drive, not just copy files across.

We were all new once, keep reading or asking

Flokke
03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I ordered this laptop yesterday from best buy it was the DB71 verison rather than their counterpart to it. My question is I bought a 128 Toshiba Q Pro 128GB SSD to put into this when it gets here but I want to use the 1TB that comes with it as a data drive, does this computer come with the mounting bracket for both slots or just the one in there because this SSD doesn't come with one.

breadbutt
03-11-2014, 04:06 AM
I'll be doing the same soon. one question though, I see many different versions of the same model of SSDs out there.
"Basic (SSD Only)"
"Desktop Upgrade Kit"
"Laptop Upgrade Kit"

Obviously the laptop upgrade kit would make the most sense, but it's about $30 more than the basic (ssd only), and I can't think of any reason I'd need more than the SSD itself.

but then, I've never installed an SSD before, so maybe I'm missing something.
any insight would be appreciated. thankyou.

gazzacbr
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
...does this computer come with the mounting bracket for both slots or just the one in there because this SSD doesn't come with one.
answer is we dont know. you will have to wait and have a look inside.
mine came with a normal 256 SSD and 1TB HDD. it has 2 normal slots to swap and change SSD and/or HDD. the middle one is drive 0 and thats where you want your OS disk.
some models come with a raid SSD card and a HDD. that means you will have to find a mounting bracket to replace the SSD and keep the HDD.
let us know what it looks like when you get it.

Flokke
03-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Well received the laptop at 9:40 this morning, and I can confirm that the model I bought G750JW-DB71 purchased from best buy's website came with both mounting cages for the hard drive even though only one HDD is installed for people curious if you have to out more money for a mount for the second one

Clintlgm
03-11-2014, 08:40 PM
No, your right you shouldn't need any kit to install a 2.5" form factor SSD
the sweet spot for SSD is the 240 to 256 GB size these are the fastest
Top of the line Samsun 840 Pro I don't think any other have match or beat there speed and 5 year warranty

breadbutt
03-12-2014, 12:10 AM
No, your right you shouldn't need any kit to install a 2.5" form factor SSD
the sweet spot for SSD is the 240 to 256 GB size these are the fastest
Top of the line Samsun 840 Pro I don't think any other have match or beat there speed and 5 year warranty
good to know, thanks!
I was debating between the 250gb and 500gb. the 250gb is probably more than enough room, but at about $480 (from one seller on amazon) the 500gb is the best dollar/gig ratio. If the 250gb is a faster drive, I think I'll go with that.

Clintlgm
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Well having your OS on a fast drive will really make a difference, having a SSD as a data drive not so much, except on opening very large files. Huge 3D CAD files and the similar.

cyberdome
03-13-2014, 03:40 AM
I read all the posts in this thread. I followed all instructions provided in this thread. but still my samsung evo pro SSD does not get recognized in my BIOS. Only difference I have not tried the asus backtracker software. I am doing a clean install from scratch.

metalmike28
05-08-2014, 04:29 PM
My machine and SSD should be here tomorrow. Question: can I simply use the Samsung software to do this externally, and then switch the SSD for HDD and have it work that way? Or do I NEED to use Asus backtracker and a 16gb flash drive?

Nillaz
05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
My machine and SSD should be here tomorrow. Question: can I simply use the Samsung software to do this externally, and then switch the SSD for HDD and have it work that way? Or do I NEED to use Asus backtracker and a 16gb flash drive?

No matter which software you use for the migration I recommend you use Backtracker first, and then put that USB stick someplace safe and don't use it for anything else. Having a full system recovery on hand in the event of issues down the road is invaluable and will save much gnashing of teeth.

metalmike28
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
thanks! I will def take your advice and make the backup and keep the flash drive safe. I suppose that mean once I make the back up and put it somewhere safe, I can wipe the partitions from the HDD and use it as mass storage? Sorry for all the questions. I just like to get everything in my head before I tackle a project. In theory, I can migrate the OS, and then would but the SSD into the HDD bay, then put the HDD drive into the free bay and therefore not have to change anything in BIOS. Right?

Nillaz
05-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Some people seem to run into issues when swapping the SSD, but I have not personally had any major issues with the 4 G750's I have migrated to Samsung SSD's via Backtracker, though of course YMMV depending on your chosen combination of hardware and software.

There's no reason why you can't get rid of those partitions and recover that space for storage as long as you have a backup.

metalmike28
05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
The SSD I purchased with the machine is a Samsung EVO 250gb. Is that the correct way to do it, the swap the ssd into the original hdd space and then place the hdd in the extra bay?

Nillaz
05-08-2014, 06:37 PM
The SSD I purchased with the machine is a Samsung EVO 250gb. Is that the correct way to do it, the swap the ssd into the original hdd space and then place the hdd in the extra bay?

The EVO is a great SSD, and your description is how I have gone about doing all 4 upgrades, with the exception of not installing the HDD until after doing the OS migration to the SSD. Please refer to my post on page 1 for an expanded description of the steps involved.

metalmike28
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
thanks for the help and info. Any idea how long this all takes from start to finish? I plan to let it do it thing while I am at work tomorrow? What program do you use to wipe the HDD partitions once the SSD is up and running?

Nillaz
05-09-2014, 03:51 AM
It doesn't take that long. I've never timed it but I would venture to say I can do a full migration in less than an hour. Granted, it probably took me a little longer the first time as I was being especially cautious.

My preferred program for repartitioning is Partition Master 10 from Easus, however I hesitate to recommend it to others. It's extremely flexible and powerful, but the interface and the way it processes commands can be a little offputting. It would be quite easy to wipe out the primary OS partition you just set up if you're not confident in what you're doing. I'm sure some others here could set you up with some quality recommendations on partitioning software.

metalmike28
05-09-2014, 04:31 PM
So I followed all the advice here, and install the SSD in the same drive that the HDD was originally in, and put the HDD in the spare port. The computer doesnt seem any faster. Is there something I need to change? How can I tell if its booting from SSD?

Edit: I took out the HDD and its working fine with just the SSD installed.. So I am good there, random issues with the HDD install though, seems like the drive paths and such are out of whack until I can figure out how to wipe the partitions. Every program Ive tried so far wont wipe the OS partition of the HDD.

hmscott
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
So I followed all the advice here, and install the SSD in the same drive that the HDD was originally in, and put the HDD in the spare port. The computer doesnt seem any faster. Is there something I need to change? How can I tell if its booting from SSD?

Try booting with only the new SSD in the laptop.

How did you get the OS on the new SSD? Did you clone from the HD, or did you do a recovery restore from the Asus Backtracker Flash drive to the new SSD?

Put the old HD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure if you want to use the space.

Preserve the boot and recovery partitions on the old HD, avoid 2 identical bootable volumes in the laptop.

metalmike28
05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Try booting with only the new SSD in the laptop.

How did you get the OS on the new SSD? Did you clone from the HD, or did you do a recovery restore from the Asus Backtracker Flash drive to the new SSD?

Put the old HD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure if you want to use the space.

Preserve the boot and recovery partitions on the old HD, avoid 2 identical bootable volumes in the laptop.

I want the 1TB hdd completely clean and just used for mass storage. Games, etc.

I used samsung migration to clone the drives, and I also made a usb backup thru backtracker via advice in this thread. So as of now, I have only the SSD hooked up, and the HDD is sitting on my desk unused.

hmscott
05-09-2014, 06:36 PM
I want the 1TB hdd completely clean and just used for mass storage. Games, etc.

I used samsung migration to clone the drives, and I also made a usb backup thru backtracker via advice in this thread. So as of now, I have only the SSD hooked up, and the HDD is sitting on my desk unused.

metalmike28, so you only have the SSD in the laptop, and it is booted on the SSD?

It is much faster now, right?

Use CrystalDiskMark to benchmark the C drive, there should be a huge difference in throughput over the HD.

metalmike28
05-09-2014, 07:12 PM
oh yeah, this thing flies now. But I need to install all my games, music, etc. So thats why I need a working 1TB HDD...

Edit: IVE DONE IT! I inserted the HDD via usb, formatted the partitions, reinserted the drive into the spare bay, deleted the partitions and formatted them via disk management, now I've got my SSD containing the OS, main apps, and main games, and 900+GB of free space on Drive D (HDD).

Thanks for all the help. I am so happy to be apart of the ROG community!

Nillaz
05-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with this as I was pretty tied up with life today, though I'm glad to hear you got everything squared away and running to your satisfaction. You'll love your laptop it's a monster!

Welcome and glad to have you on the forum!

JimboSlice
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
I just bought this laptop and bought the Samsung 250gb SSD to go with it. Like a dummy, I came home, formatted the 1TB drive and thought it would be hassle free to do a clean install on the SSD and start from scratch. Boy was I wrong! I cant get the network controller to install, therefore I cant use wifi and even windows update isnt working properly.

Ive done 2 clean installs of windows 8 pro on the SSD and still nothing. I deeply regret wiping the primary drive with all the recovery data on it.

hmscott
05-22-2014, 11:53 PM
I just bought this laptop and bought the Samsung 250gb SSD to go with it. Like a dummy, I came home, formatted the 1TB drive and thought it would be hassle free to do a clean install on the SSD and start from scratch. Boy was I wrong! I cant get the network controller to install, therefore I cant use wifi and even windows update isnt working properly.

Ive done 2 clean installs of windows 8 pro on the SSD and still nothing. I deeply regret wiping the primary drive with all the recovery data on it.

Sorry to hear that Jimbo Slice, you aren't alone, a lot people do this thinking it is easy to do their own build. It isn't. That is why we always suggest an Asus Backtracker backup, or cloning the original drive and putting it on the shelf - using the clone.

You might be able to go back to the dealer and do one of a few options to resolve this, without needing to RMA all the way back to Asus.

First, you could just return it for another laptop, and knowing what you know now, you could get a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and do the Asus Backtracker backup, which would let you blow away the recovery partitions. You could install on the new SSD by booting on the Asus Backtracker flash drive, and it will format and install Windows for you - with all the Asus configuration that makes the laptop work :)

Second, if you know the dealer well, you could explain what happened and ask if they would let you make an Asus Backtracker backup onto a USB 3.0 16BG flash drive from one of the other laptops of the same model as yours. That way you keep the laptop, they don't have to send it back to Asus, and everyone is happy. :)

Third, a modification on that, they give you the drive from the other laptop to take home and on your time make the Asus Backtracker Backup, then return the drive back to them. Depending on the speed of the flash drive it can take a long time to do the creation of the flash drive, so this lets you do it at your own speed at home rather than hang around the shop waiting for it to complete.

Fourth, if worst comes to worst, return the laptop for a refund and go elsewhere to pick up another one.

Let us know how it works out for you!

JimboSlice
05-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Went through yesterday afternoon, did a 3rd clean install (probably didnt need to), installed the LAN drivers, then hooked up to the router and let it run all of the windows updates, then the update from 8.0 to 8.1 (I already owned a serial). Once the 8.1 update was finished, it fixed the errors in device manager, so I went and downloaded and installed everything from ASUS website and we are rocking and rolling!

For some reason Windows wasnt installing the network controller, I was thinking it was an ASUS Driver that I wasnt able to install. All is well now, a little disappointed that i cant see my windows score. LOL

So as it stands now, I am running the G750JW w/ 8GB Ram, added a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and am using the 1TB drive as data backup. I also have a 2TB network storage drive attached to my router.

Love this laptop!

hmscott
05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Went through yesterday afternoon, did a 3rd clean install (probably didnt need to), installed the LAN drivers, then hooked up to the router and let it run all of the windows updates, then the update from 8.0 to 8.1 (I already owned a serial). Once the 8.1 update was finished, it fixed the errors in device manager, so I went and downloaded and installed everything from ASUS website and we are rocking and rolling!

For some reason Windows wasnt installing the network controller, I was thinking it was an ASUS Driver that I wasnt able to install. All is well now, a little disappointed that i cant see my windows score. LOL

So as it stands now, I am running the G750JW w/ 8GB Ram, added a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and am using the 1TB drive as data backup. I also have a 2TB network storage drive attached to my router.

Love this laptop!

That is awesome JimboSlice :)

You can still run the WEI Score from the command line: winsat formal

You have to dig out the logfiles to get some of the results, it is a bit messy, but it is there :)

http://www.myfavoritegadgets.info/tipstricks/WEIwin81.html

Meirelesdiver
06-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Please let me know what exactly will be saved in the 16gb Flash memory during the Asus Backtracker back up process?
My question is?
16 gb is sufficient to make this back up or should I use o bigger memory Flash ?

hmscott
06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Please let me know what exactly will be saved in the 16gb Flash memory during the Asus Backtracker back up process?
My question is?
16 gb is sufficient to make this back up or should I use o bigger memory Flash ?

Meirelesdiver, Asus Backtracker puts about 12.5GB onto the 16GB partition, I 7-zip the eSupport folder onto it, almost filling it up.

I used a 32GB flash drive once, and Asus Backtracker only made a 20GB partition - ignoring the rest of the space, and also only put 12.5GB on that flash drive partition. Seemed like a waste of a 32GB flash drive, so I used a 16GB instead.

Here is what it looks like:

nether
07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Another beginner here. I just bought my first ever laptop in G750JM after many years of stationary rigs. I had the usual 250 GB Samsung SSD plus 1 TB Seagate HDD combination, SSD being the boot disc. Now I want to put that SSD into my laptop, but I have two problems, namely:

1) I already did boot up the laptop once so it went ahead and installed the OS on the regular HDD that comes with it. It is also partitioned into OS and Data.

2) I have my old copy of Win 8.1 on the SSD.

I used the Asus Backtracker to create a recovery image using a 16GB flash drive. What would be the next move? Can I do the 5-step process laid out at the very beginning? Would the dual OS setup create problems when booting like that? Thanks.

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Is it possible you could mirror the data on that drive, drag it onto the SSD then place it in the slot 0 of the drive bay, then just fiddle with the BIOS a little? ;3

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey guys, which version of the backtracker you use to do this?

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Guys, do I only need to backup the factory recovery image or do I have to backup the asus driver and system recovery? And should I update the backtracker?

Clintlgm
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
You should image the entire disk, Backtracker will do this automatically. it will create a image to restore your notebook back to factory shipped condition. using it for recovery will put your notebook to the exact condition you received in form the store. As to which version the latest of course http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1002165

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
That's not what I meant. My question is: There are 3 different options available in Backtracker, I want to know which one should I choose when I want to install a SSD as my boot drive?

ASUS should provide more clear instruction about this rather than having people discussing about this.

Clintlgm
07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
yes you don't want to have 2 OS what would be the point. If you have a win 8.1 disk or image and product Key I would remove the hard drive from the notebook and install the SSD in Slot 0, Clean Install win 8.1 and driver. Once everything is booting and working good. Put your hard drive back in. On boot spam the Esc key this will bring up a boot menu select your SSD.
Then using a partitioning software or disk management to make your hard drive Logical rather than active that will remove the boot info on it. Then rename your old Windows window.old once your sure you don't need any thing in that old OS delete it.

If you want to restore your Backtracker file it will restore to your SSD, same procedure remove your hard drive, Follow the instruction for Backtracker and restore. The disadvantage to this is you'll also get all the Bloat Ware Asus puts on you.

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 08:10 PM
See this is what I mean, should I also backup the driver and the system setting or should I just backup the recovery image

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 08:23 PM
yes you don't want to have 2 OS what would be the point. If you have a win 8.1 disk or image and product Key I would remove the hard drive from the notebook and install the SSD in Slot 0, Clean Install win 8.1 and driver. Once everything is booting and working good. Put your hard drive back in. On boot spam the Esc key this will bring up a boot menu select your SSD.
Then using a partitioning software or disk management to make your hard drive Logical rather than active that will remove the boot info on it. Then rename your old Windows window.old once your sure you don't need any thing in that old OS delete it.

If you want to restore your Backtracker file it will restore to your SSD, same procedure remove your hard drive, Follow the instruction for Backtracker and restore. The disadvantage to this is you'll also get all the Bloat Ware Asus puts on you.

So the differences between option 1 and 2 are these the followings:
1. Option 1 (Back up the factory image):
- Basically means clean install
- All the drivers must be reinstall

2. Option 2 (Back up ASUS Driver/App):
- Don't have to reinstall all of the drivers again (just update if necessary)
- Still contains ASUS bloat ware

Is this right?

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 09:56 PM
i have a 750JW as well and i did the same, bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb and did exactly as cosmicmango suggests. worked fine. make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format. then just shutdown and take out HDD and plug the ssd in its place after u made the asusbacktracker cd image. leave the HDD out and boot up with usb in and ssd in primary slot. cheers

what software did you use? is it partition wizard? do I really need to connect my ssd first? btw my SSD is Samsung 840 evo

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 11:42 PM
hey guys... really need help over here, do have to format my ssd first in order bactracker to work? what happend if i dont format the ssd first?

KelvinT
07-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Hi,

Regarding adding a SSD, i need advise from expert here please as my situation is abit different.
My G750 is about 4 months old (24GB RAM,1TB HDD, 770 card) and i have programs in c: and d:. Basically, OS/utilities related is in C: and others like apps/games in D:. I brought a EVO 256GB recently. If i used the ASUS backtracker and the 16GB USB drive, do i need to re-install everything in D (and other non-OS related like WINZIP in C: also?) :, since the backtrack only backup OS/drivers. I know even though i installed apps/games in D:, there will be registry updates and settings information in C:. By re-installing, i am afraid it might have duplicate registry entries and other stuff that might cause some problems. I want my registry to be clean. I think everyone knows that as time goes by, the registry gets so much rubbish inside that eventually it may slow down the OS. Is there a good clean way to do this nicely without re-installing the apps/games?

(Side track) Another question i would like to know is the RAM. Do it needs to be 8/16/32 to make use of some dual channel thingy? My stock is 8GB and under the promotion, the store actually top up another 16GB for me (8+16 = 24GB). My cousin has an Asus N series laptop and his RAM is 16GB. The Windows index for memory seems to be higher than mine even though our memory type is the same but i having more RAM.

Appreciate for the advise.Tks.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 07:00 AM
See this is what I mean, should I also backup the driver and the system setting or should I just backup the recovery image

LeonardoTan, I do both, but it isn't strickly necessary as you get the C:\eSupport folder created and filled out by just the recovery backup.

I think Asus has the 2nd option to create a folder on the Flash drive that you can use without doing a complete restore - after you deleted the C:\eSupport folder to get some space on the C partition, and then later realized you needed it back :)

LeonardoTan
07-03-2014, 07:05 AM
LeonardoTan, I do both, but it isn't strickly necessary as you get the C:\eSupport folder created and filled out by just the recovery backup.

I think Asus has the 2nd option to create a folder on the Flash drive that you can use without doing a complete restore - after you deleted the C:\eSupport folder to get some space on the C partition, and then later realized you needed it back :)
Ok got it, thank you very much hmscott!!

eldi_el
07-14-2014, 09:18 AM
So if I put my SSD at secondary drive, cant I use it at primary? At warranty it is written that touching or removing parts avoid the warranty and I really dont want to risk! I am waiting your advice.

Thanks.

hmscott
07-14-2014, 10:17 AM
So if I put my SSD at secondary drive, cant I use it at primary? At warranty it is written that touching or removing parts avoid the warranty and I really dont want to risk! I am waiting your advice.Thanks.

eldi_el, the stuff under the bottom access panel is ok to touch - the 2 drive bays and the 2 SODIMM ram slots can be modified.

The best way to add the SSD, is to clone what you have to it while it is in the 2nd bay, but after cloning swap bays - put the SSD in the boot bay - Bay 1.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It would also be good to put the original HD aside and preserve it in case you need to send the G750 in for service. I put my 1TB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and use the DATA partition for backups. This keeps the heat from the HD out of the G750. After running the HD in the external case check the temperature of the case, it gets hot even just at idle. :)

You could also remove the HD, and put the SSD into Bay 1 and use the Asus Backtracker 16GB USB 3.0 flash recovery drive you made to recover to the new SSD - you end up with an out of the box original Asus OEM Windows configuration on the new SSD.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out :)

angrybird
07-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Ago, Well received the laptop at 9:40 this morning, and I can confirm that the model I bought G750JW-DB71 purchased from best buy's website came with both mounting cages for the hard drive even though only one HDD is installed for people curious if you have to out more money for a mount for the second one.

cộng đồng intenet việt nam chuyên về lắp mạng fpt b́nh dương (https://internetvietnam.net/dang-ky-lap-dat-internet-fpt-tai-binh-duong.html) một cách nhanh chóng.

Ngoài ra, Các ḍng Sản phẩm được công ty K44 lắp đặt, phân phối, nhập khẩu trực tiếp tại Quận 1 TP HCM đều có xuất xứ chính hăng Korea, Taiwan dựa trên chíp và công nghệ Japan có chứng nhận CQ, CO đầy đủ.

-Camera do HaBiCo Phân Phối và lắp đặt Quận 1 TP HCM và lắp mạng fpt đồng nai (https://internetvietnam.net/dang-ky-lap-dat-internet-fpt-tai-dong-nai.html) được Bảo hành 24 tháng, Bảo Tŕ Măi Măi 1 đổi 1 trong thời gian bảo hành xử lư sự cố sau 2-4h từ khi nhận được yêu cầu của khách hàng.

-Kỹ Sư của HaBiCo Khảo sát, Lên bản vẽ bố trí lắp đặt camera tại Quận 1 TP HCM, demo sản phẩm, tư vấn miễn phí tận nơi với thái độ tận tâm với mọi khách hàng.

-Công Ty Với hệ thống văn pḥng bảo tŕ, đối tác có mặt khắp các tỉnh trên cả nước sẽ giúp quư vị an tâm hơn về dịch vụ chăm sóc khác hàng sau TP HCM ,Đồng Nai ,B́nh Dương, TPHCMN của K44.

eldi_el
07-14-2014, 04:18 PM
eldi_el, the stuff under the bottom access panel is ok to touch - the 2 drive bays and the 2 SODIMM ram slots can be modified.

The best way to add the SSD, is to clone what you have to it while it is in the 2nd bay, but after cloning swap bays - put the SSD in the boot bay - Bay 1.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It would also be good to put the original HD aside and preserve it in case you need to send the G750 in for service. I put my 1TB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and use the DATA partition for backups. This keeps the heat from the HD out of the G750. After running the HD in the external case check the temperature of the case, it gets hot even just at idle. :)

You could also remove the HD, and put the SSD into Bay 1 and use the Asus Backtracker 16GB USB 3.0 flash recovery drive you made to recover to the new SSD - you end up with an out of the box original Asus OEM Windows configuration on the new SSD.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out :)

Hey,

Thank you for your answer and advices. I thought to keep hdd as a mass storage. So you say that it is hot even when it is idle. Thats bad.

So cloning process should be done by asus backtracker or samsung Ssd has clone software, that would be enough?

Additionally, I think I SHOULDNT DELETE anything from Hdd since it will cause some problem about warranty if I send my computer to Asus service?

Besf Regards

hmscott
07-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey,

Thank you for your answer and advices. I thought to keep hdd as a mass storage. So you say that it is hot even when it is idle. Thats bad.

So cloning process should be done by asus backtracker or samsung Ssd has clone software, that would be enough?

Additionally, I think I SHOULDNT DELETE anything from Hdd since it will cause some problem about warranty if I send my computer to Asus service?

Besf Regards

eldi_el, yes to all :)

eldi_el
07-14-2014, 07:23 PM
eldi_el, yes to all :)

So, if I keep original files at HDD and if I use it as a mass storage, then the computer will ask me ALWAYS select your windows at the beginning of the computer??? Somehow to avoid that if I keep it as a mass storage?

If I put second SSD at secondary disk place, may I do RAID 0 via bios? I have G750JZ.

ChopGun
09-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Hiya guys... I've ordered a G750JM today and it will arrive next week. :D:D:D

I've also ordered a Samsung 500GB EVO 840 SSD for it.

The laptop comes stock with a 1TB spindle hard drive ("HDD").

This is the setup I would like:

1. SSD contains operating system and game files
2. HDD contains data/documents/recovery info/other stuff

I would like to minimise screwing stuff in given that I don't do this often and I don't want to break my shiny new laptop.

Will the plan below work?

1. Install new SSD to the empty slot; and
2. Set this drive as the Primary in the BIOS (is this possible); and
3. Keep the recovery partition on the existing HDD; and
4. Restore from the recovery partition to the new SSD, creating a new boot drive.

To me it seems a lot of extra effort to change the drives around - what has been the motivation for doing this? I assume I'm missing something...

Thanking you all in advance!

gewgleit
12-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop).

Good luck!

Hey Nillaz thank you very much for the info. One quick question though. Using backtracker will also copy the recovery partition and everything correxct?

Morne
12-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi All,

I've also purchased a new SSD drive and I'm about to embark on the process moving my boot drive from the currently installed HDD to the SSD. Apologies if this is a silly question but will backtracker also back up any software that I've installed or will the restored system be a clean install? It does seem like a silly question with and obvious answer considering that it seems pointless to use backtracker if the end result is the same as doing a clean install of the OS, but I thought I'd double check. Wouldn't want to get half way through only to realise that I need to re-install all my software.

Thanks in advance.
Morné

Morne
12-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Hi All,

I'm having trouble swapping the HDD in my G750JW for a new SSD, even after following the steps listed above.

Here is what I've tried:
1. Created a backup image using backtracker on a 16Gb flash drive.
2. Turn off an unplug the laptop from mains.
3. Remove battery.
4. Open cover and remove hard drive housing containing the HDD.
5. Swap the HDD for the SSD in the hard drive housing.
6. Reinsert the hard drive housing containing the new SSD.
7. Make sure the usb flash drive with the backtracked images is inserted in a USB port. (not sure if the specific port is important)
8. Reboot.
9. A "insert valid boot drive and press any key" message comes up.
10. Reboot while holding down F2 key.
11. In security disable "Secure Boot"
12. Enable CSM.
13. Reboot into BIOS.
14. Still no USB drive listed in boot options.

What I havent done is "put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format" as suggested by cronik916 on 09-24-2013 01:25 AM. Not sure if this will make a difference as my problem is that I can't seem to boot into the USB drive containing the back tracked image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stevencorreia
05-27-2015, 03:04 PM
I have ASUS RogG750 JW which originally didn't come with SSD. So I puchased samsung 850 Evo 260 Gb SSD few days ago. But I am missing the necessary mounting screws as i had to send back my laptop for machanical repairs and ASUS did not send the original box back to me after repair which i believed had those extra screw i needed to attach my SSD. Please advice what should I do or where can i get those screws from.

mirecc21
08-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Hi i have question, I want upgrade my G750JM with SSD. How can be used this on my motherboard ? I must use it when i want connect SSD or not ? Thx for answers!

Clintlgm
08-16-2015, 10:33 PM
2.5" screws for notebook hard drives (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6JCR0G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_6&smid=A327G0VM18EU0N)