PDA

View Full Version : G75VX Boots directly into BIOs.. WAT DO?!

StrangerHacks
09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
This morning my G75VX decided it wanted to boot directly into the BIOS when I turned it on, I found this straight and hit the ol "CTRL+ALT+DELETE" to reboot it and it almost instantly (less then a second) flashed a black screen then went back to the BIOS.

I tried restarting completely by shutting it down and turning it back on, same thing happens, boots directly into BIOS. I tried booting a third time and pushing the ESC key a few times to get into the boot menu and the only option is "Enter Setup".

I'm not really sure what's going on here, but I can't do anything on my laptop other then enter the BIOS. I also tried to restore BIOS default settings in case anything changed and that didn't help either.

I'm pretty well out of ideas here. Any suggestions?

Clintlgm
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Try turning secure boot off and CSM on. that might let your system see your hard drives? otherwise it looks like you might have lost your hard drive

StrangerHacks
09-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Well, I'm not too concerned with what was on the hard drive. I just want it to work. I have a copy of Windows to put on it, it's just a matter of getting it to boot onto anything other then the BIOS.

When I check under Advanced, SATA Configuration, It shows both hard drives and optical drive. There are just no options to boot from anything. I can't boot from the SSD, HDD, or Optical Drive but if I Enable Launch CSM then it will automatically load from the DVD in the Optical Drive.

Is there just anyway to add a new boot option?

On the Boot section of my BIOS, it doesn't say anything about adding a boot option or anything like that.

It's still under warranty so I can just bring it in but I didn't really want to drive across town and give up my laptop for 2 months to get FutureShop to look at it and then tell me they can't go anything and they have to send it away or something along those lines. I'm really hoping I can fix it myself to avoid putting up with FutureShop computer repair service.

StrangerHacks
09-24-2013, 12:59 AM
I didn't see where you said to turn off secure boot, I did that and it works now however my boot options are still gone.

Clintlgm
09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Well then it sounds like your system is UEFI and your drives are set up BIOS MBR they are not compatible you could be either way, your system came UEFI so did you maybe try to convert to BIOS MBR? Something like this has happen it sounds like to me.

Pitcher@asus
09-26-2013, 05:10 AM
what is type you set AHCI, RAID?

cl-Albert
09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I didn't see where you said to turn off secure boot, I did that and it works now however my boot options are still gone.

If you can boot to your hard drive now, you can ignore much of my reply below although you might check if it helps with the boot options issue.
For Win8 notebooks if the bios settings you are using don't allow you to boot to a device, you will not see them in the boot options, so you may need to change (enable CSM, disable secure boot) and save the bios settings and check the bios again for the boot options.

Well, I'm not too concerned with what was on the hard drive. I just want it to work. I have a copy of Windows to put on it, it's just a matter of getting it to boot onto anything other then the BIOS.

When I check under Advanced, SATA Configuration, It shows both hard drives and optical drive. There are just no options to boot from anything. I can't boot from the SSD, HDD, or Optical Drive but if I Enable Launch CSM then it will automatically load from the DVD in the Optical Drive.

Is there just anyway to add a new boot option?

On the Boot section of my BIOS, it doesn't say anything about adding a boot option or anything like that.

I may be missing something, but if you're not worried about the data on the hard drive, have a copy of Windows to reinstall, see the hard drive in the bios, and have the option to boot to DVD, it seems like you have everything you need to reinstall Windows from DVD (assuming your copy of Windows is on DVD)?

I don't really understand or worry about the boot options in the bios, but if you care, try to save the bios settings after you enable CSM and disable secure boot then restart the system to check the bios settings again for the boot options.
Otherwise, tap the 'ESC' key a couple times (don't keep tapping or you can miss it) when you see the ROG logo after powering up to see a boot menu (my preference if you can catch it).

If you can begin the Windows installation process though, I'm wondering if there will still be problems since it doesn't sound normal that you couldn't boot to the hard drive before and if there might be some problem with your hard drive or something else.
If everything is okay, hopefully you can find a way to boot to your hard drive again without reinstalling Windows.