PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Scroll Resetting at Shutdown

Blackfoot
09-24-2013, 05:12 AM
Hey guys I have a weird mouse problem and need some help fixing it.
It's a stock G74SX-DH72 with the GX850 ROG mouse. Every time I shutdown the laptop, the scroll setting switches from what I select, one screen at a time to 3 lines at a time. I believe 3 lines at a time is the default setting. If I put the laptop to sleep, the setting stays on one screen at a time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse software, tried using a Logitech mouse with its corresponding software and the problem is still there. I've gotten rid of all the bloat ware that ships with the laptop, but I have not done a clean install of the OS. I can do that, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
Billy

cl-Albert
09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi Billy,

Sorry, I don't really know much about this, but just wondering if this was working before and if a clean install might help as you mentioned?
If it's done that from the beginning, don't have as much hope that a clean install will help although maybe still worth a try if it will not be too painful.

If you aren't able to find a solution, thinking you might try hibernating instead of shutting down the computer to keep those settings although this might cause its own issues related to hibernating.

More ideas below and I apologize in advance if they aren't too helpful.

1. Haven't played around with this mouse, but assume there isn't a way to save the settings/profile and load a mouse settings profile at boot?

2. Check for updated mouse drivers as well as touchpad drivers.

3. Not sure if you use the touchpad much, but you might even uninstall the touchpad driver if you don't need the extra features. It should still have the basic functions.

Good luck!

Blackfoot
09-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Hi Albert,
It was working fine up until I started removing the bloat ware and mucking about with the cd that has the drivers. I have a hunch that I loaded the mouse drivers more than once. I made the recovery disks first thing before I messed with anything, so I'm good to go on that. Right now I only use the shutdown option when the computer prompts me to restart, for everything else I use the sleep option. Which is working ok.

Loading mouse settings at boot is above my current knowledge of computers.
I haven't checked for new drivers, I'll do that.
I hardly use the touchpad. The drivers you're talking about would be what controls the scrolling and zoom functions that you can manipulate directly on the pad, correct?

I fairly certain that I created this problem and have resigned myself to doing a clean install with the newest drivers. I just have to find a non-dial up internet connection.
Thank you for your help.

cl-Albert
09-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi Albert,
It was working fine up until I started removing the bloat ware and mucking about with the cd that has the drivers. I have a hunch that I loaded the mouse drivers more than once. I made the recovery disks first thing before I messed with anything, so I'm good to go on that. Right now I only use the shutdown option when the computer prompts me to restart, for everything else I use the sleep option. Which is working ok.

Hi Billy,
If it was working before, that's a good sign at least, but the question may be if we can find an easier way to solve it.
I don't consider myself a software expert, so hopefully others have better ideas to fix this.

Anyway, in case you didn't already know just wanted to mention Windows has a 'System Restore' feature to set your system back to an earlier date if you have a restore point available.
If you're planning to wipe your drive and try a clean install, it's probably worth trying the System Restore first to see if it can save you the trouble.
You can find System Restore in Windows 7 under Accessories/System Tools and hopefully you can find a recent restore point when everything was working.

Loading mouse settings at boot is above my current knowledge of computers.

Sorry to be unclear about this, but your mouse software probably just doesn't have this feature if you aren't familiar with this.
If you're interested though, I have a USB GamePad for my desktop computer that lets me program some of the buttons and save those settings or profiles for different games, so I just load one of those profiles before playing the game (I don't think my USB GamePad let me load a profile at boot, but thought your mouse software might let you do this) instead of having to reprogram the USB GamePad buttons everytime I want to play a game.
I was just wondering if your mouse had this kind of setup that you can use, but apparently it doesn't.

I haven't checked for new drivers, I'll do that.
I hardly use the touchpad. The drivers you're talking about would be what controls the scrolling and zoom functions that you can manipulate directly on the pad, correct?

Yes, the touchpad should still function as a basic mouse without the touchpad software which would just give you those extra scrolling and zoom functions that you mentioned, so if you don't care about them, you may just want to remove the touchpad software/driver and reinstall your mouse software afterwards as well to see if it makes any difference.

I fairly certain that I created this problem and have resigned myself to doing a clean install with the newest drivers. I just have to find a non-dial up internet connection.
Thank you for your help.

Hopefully you can find an easier way and you may want to try the Windows System Restore first after you have backed up anything important.

Good luck!

Blackfoot
10-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Hello Albert,
Sorry for the delayed response.

I hope there is a way to fix this properly, I like the mouse.
I created the recovery dvd's but never got around to creating the System Restore point. So that's not an option.
I looked for new software and only found copies of what was on the Asus dvd.
I think that covers the open questions.

I did some tests/changes on both windows and Asus settings and the problem is definitely a software compatibility issue. (More than likely one I caused.) I've uninstalled and installed the GX800 software more than 4 times with no changes to the crazy results. Tried installing the GX850 just in case, but it wouldn't recognize the mouse, so that confirmed it was the GX800 mouse, they look identical.

However I used the macro feature in the Asus software to set mouse button four and five for page up and down. That's not what I wanted to use the buttons for, but it does provide a solution.
So problem sorta solved.

Still planning to do the Clean Install, just to see if it changes anything to do with the mouse. I've already got the data backed up and the non OS programs downloaded. Almost like washing a car, the paint doesn't care if it's dirty, but I might like the car more afterwards.

Thanks for helping me.

cl-Albert
10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Hello Albert,
Sorry for the delayed response.

I created the recovery dvd's but never got around to creating the System Restore point. So that's not an option.

Hi Blackfoot,

No problem at all for the delay and you might already know, but unless you disabled Windows System Restore, Windows will automatically create Restore Points every so often (not sure exactly when it decides to, but may have something to do with some kinds of software installs or updates) and you might still have this option if you want to check.

If you would rather try a clean install though, don't worry about it, but just wanted to mention you might still have an option for System Restore if you have any interest.

Blackfoot
10-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi Albert

I finally checked the Windows System Restore, it was activated at some point. However, it only listed recent history for about a month or so, nothing back before I noticed the problem.

I got the clean install done, learned a few things along the way with no 'progress' made, but I'm content, almost happy. :)

The clean install didn't change anything with the mouse, so I'm going with the assumption that it's always been like this and my memory was faulty. Or it been like this the whole time and I didn't notice it until my computer habits changed. I'm still adjusting to 'normal' scroll settings, and using the extra mouse buttons for page up and page down macros.

I see people with bigger problems on here and am just counting myself lucky.

One of the biggest things I learned was, just because you have a recovery disc doesn't mean it is going to work. My second disc wouldn't read the last 1 percent of data. I was worried for a little while, the solution was to use another computer to create a copy of the disc.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

If anyone with a G74 and a GX800 mouse running Windows 7 with the Asus mouse software installed wants to help me see if this is an isolated problem or a software problem, I would appreciate it.

All you have to do is change your windows mouse scroll to one page at a time, verify that it's working properly, open and close the Asus gaming mouse software, then restart your computer and see if your windows mouse scroll is still set to 'one screen' and let me know here.

Thanks.

cl-Albert
10-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Billy,

Thanks for the update and hopefully we'll hear from someone who knows more about this.

Just wondering if there might be some updates last time that were installed that could help with this.
It might be wishful thinking, but maybe they will be installed automatically later?