PDA

View Full Version : A random appearance of fps drops

boshudio
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Last night I was playing games regularly (LoL. Diablo, Borderlands 2) and had no problem with the fps. I shut down the computer and started up again today to play and suddenly Im getting random fps spikes in LoL and Diablo is almost unbearable to play. Anyone know why?

hmscott
09-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Last night I was playing games regularly (LoL. Diablo, Borderlands 2) and had no problem with the fps. I shut down the computer and started up again today to play and suddenly Im getting random fps spikes in LoL and Diablo is almost unbearable to play. Anyone know why?

Did you give your G750 it's morning coffee? and give it a chance to fully wake up first? ;)

You can check your background processes running when this happens, looking at the disk access light might alert you to something else going on in the background not in sync with your current foreground application.

Since it was a new day, and a new boot up, and today is Tuesday, it might be Microsoft Updates (check the update history), if you haven't turned off indexing, it might be that. There are any number of automated system checks that programs can start that if you don't let your computer run overnight (turn it off when going to sleep) they will run the next time the computer boots.

There are any number of things that might be running in the background that can cause anomalous behavior at odd times - drawing resources away from your application causing glitches and fps drops.

I usually turn off auto updates/installs, even the auto downloads in background, to make sure I am not interrupted by such things - but then again I do weekly/monthly the updates. If you can't get yourself to consistently do things like security updates, then leaving them on auto is the best idea.

It might also be a new install you did the night before, before you started gaming, that didn't complete install/startup until after your reboot.

Were you doing local or online play? It might have been network congestion / reconfiguring along the path between you and the server. These days I just switch activities if the network in between messes up, I don't spending time on the traceroute, ping, or other tests beyond determining there is a problem.

Is the FPS response ok now, or is it a persisting problem?