PDA

View Full Version : SteamOS on G750?

Dream
09-24-2013, 05:04 PM
If anyone didn't see it yet, Valve is releasing SteamOS (http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/) soon,

I am not a wiz with Linux ... so, does anyone here know about the possibility of installing this on a G750? I'd love to dual boot it along with Win 7.

I wonder if ASUS has any plans to support this on future ROG products. Would make a lot of sense given what (duh) ROG stands for.

timelaw
09-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I installed Arch Linux on a UEFI dual-boot setup, and I would assume that since SteamOS is going to be developed by Valve that they will make the process a lot easier than the Arch process. So, if I can I think it will work with SteamOS too.

Myk SilentShadow
09-25-2013, 04:48 PM
If you can get the latest Ubuntu to install on your 750, then yes, you should have no problems installing SteamOS too, since it's probably going to be a tweaked up version of Ubuntu.

Pitcher@asus
09-26-2013, 05:22 AM
i think driver will be a problem, i think asus have no plan to support without windows OS.

timelaw
09-26-2013, 03:48 PM
i think driver will be a problem, i think asus have no plan to support without windows OS.

What drivers would that be? I'm running Linux at the moment. The only issue I have is with the touchpad. But seeing as I don't even use it I don't really care about it right now. But even so, I think it's just a matter of configuration in the Xorg settings to get it worked as well.

Symho
09-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I want know why you want use your pc's how a console! The consoles are on all shop or e-shop!

Dream
09-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Timelaw do you have a guide to installing Linux on a g750jx?

timelaw
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Timelaw do you have a guide to installing Linux on a g750jx?

The Linux distribution I am using is an advanced one. Not like SteamOS will be or what Ubuntu is like. They will do the isntallation for you, given the settings you want etc. So it should be fine just googling around for Ubuntu dual boot on UEFI (This is the replacement for BIOS on the laptop. Should be the same like G750JH, most likely)

So google this:
How to install Ubuntu Win8 dual boot on UEFI laptop