PDA

View Full Version : Laggy sound cause graphics lag on new G750JH - 780M

r0xb0x
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I recently received my brand new Asus G750JH, and boy was I excited. i7 4th Gen. 32 GB Ram and the GeForce 780M wow!

However, my excitement was premature. As I noticed laggy sound during my first play of Heroes of Newerth.
Later I also noticed the same laggy sound while playing local video files, as well as video files on the web, like YouTube.

My PC came with pre-installed Windows 8 64-Bit, which isn't exactly helping me find solutions on the web.

The laggy sound sounds almost like interference. for example when you put your cellphone next to a "older model" radio, or PC speakers. However, I have tried turning off my cellphone and the problem remains the same.
The audio lag seems to cause the entire PC to slow down and "lag".

I have used the Nvidia Experience program to update drivers, as well as use the Asus Updater to find new updates, and have also updated as much as possible with Windows Update.
The problem persists. No improvement at all. It's actually getting worse.

I tried downloading the Network driver directly from Atheros, and updating Audio drivers directly from manufactuere, this has not resolved my problem as of yet.

ASUS G750JH
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ@ 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
RAM: 32GB
Memory: 750GB (Serial ATA-300) + 256GB SSD - Serial ATA-600

* part of the dxdiag *

Time of this report: 9/24/2013, 21:51:16
Machine name: R00T
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G750JH
BIOS: G750JH.204
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32718MB RAM
Page File: 3707MB used, 36689MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

* Edit 1*
I am adding my 3d mark score, link under.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1272997?

At first I thought the problem was with my network, as I first encountered it while playing Heroes of Newerth, but seeing as the audio lag comes when watching both online and offline videos as well, I am now uncertain of how to proceed. Any ideas, will be greatly accepted.

I wasn't able to add my dxdiag info as an attachment as it's not jpg or jpeg, and I didn't want to create an insanely long post by posting it here, but I have it, and can provide it upon request..

Update 2.
I seem to be having FPS drops, during gaming of both Rome 2 and HoN I was at 2-4 fps, fps recorded by Razers Game Booster, it was maxing at around 140..

hmscott
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
I recently received my brand new Asus G750JH, and boy was I excited. i7 4th Gen. 32 GB Ram and the GeForce 780M wow!
However, my excitement was premature. As I noticed laggy sound during my first play of Heroes of Newerth.
Later I also noticed the same laggy sound while playing local video files, as well as video files on the web, like YouTube.
My PC came with pre-installed Windows 8 64-Bit, which isn't exactly helping me find solutions on the web.
The laggy sound sounds almost like interference. for example when you put your cellphone next to a "older model" radio, or PC speakers. However, I have tried turning off my cellphone and the problem remains the same.
The audio lag seems to cause the entire PC to slow down and "lag".
I have used the Nvidia Experience program to update drivers, as well as use the Asus Updater to find new updates, and have also updated as much as possible with Windows Update.
The problem persists. No improvement at all. It's actually getting worse.

I tried downloading the Network driver directly from Atheros, and updating Audio drivers directly from manufactuere, this has not resolved my problem as of yet.
* part of the dxdiag *
* Edit 1*
I am adding my 3d mark score, link under.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1272997?

At first I thought the problem was with my network, as I first encountered it while playing Heroes of Newerth, but seeing as the audio lag comes when watching both online and offline videos as well, I am now uncertain of how to proceed. Any ideas, will be greatly accepted.

I wasn't able to add my dxdiag info as an attachment as it's not jpg or jpeg, and I didn't want to create an insanely long post by posting it here, but I have it, and can provide it upon request..

Update 2.
I seem to be having FPS drops, during gaming of both Rome 2 and HoN I was at 2-4 fps, fps recorded by Razers Game Booster, it was maxing at around 140..

Your 3dmark scores are too low, but I assume you already know that.

When debugging wireless issues that are affecting system performance, audio, 3d performance, first eliminate the wireless component - switch to Ethernet or another USB wireless solution to see if the problem is solved with the built-in wireless microPCIE board out of the equation.

Actually disable the built-in wireless through settings => Wireless *and* Network/Adapters right-click and select Disable.

Then while on ethernet make sure the other audio, system, 3d performance problems are gone.

You don't say it but I am assuming you are using the built-in speakers for audio. If you are using bluetooth audio - switching to ethernet will remove the 2.4ghz conflicts (if your router is 2.4ghz and not 5ghz).

If your audio, system, 3d performance is solved by going to ethernet, you need to check the compatibility of the G750JH built-in wireless with your router.

You will want to have a browser open to your router admin login, and check the connection parameters at both the router and the laptop - right click on the laptop wireless adapter and check the Status => Advanced to see what speed and protocols you are using to connect - and compare that to the values set up on the router.

For best performance you should be at the Widest Channel, 40mhz using WPA2 / AES (using TKIP works, but reduces the speed).

Check the router status for wireless to see how many dropped packets on transmit / receive there are - there should be few.

Get a program like inSSIDer to view the wireless AP's that the wireless card is seeing - make sure you set your router center channel to the most open - least interference with other local routers.

Let us know what make/model/firmware version router you have, what make/model of built-in wireless card.

Mine is a G750JX Broadcom 802.11ac Atheros, perhaps like yours, running the latest Asus released driver (just a couple of days ago).

HWinfo64 - I am using the latest beta - has most updated vendor parts info
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

inSSIDer wireless AP landscape viewer
http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Which version of the driver did you download from Qualcomm?

Latest Asus Athereos driver - don't forget to completely uninstall the old driver and reboot before installing the new driver :)
Version V1.0.26.1227
Description Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application
If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver
File Size 62,22 (MBytes) 2013.08.26 update
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521

Let us know how going to ethernet changes the characteristics of the problem. And, how your wireless debugging goes.

Also, I should mention that there are new Realtek Audio drivers, I am using them and they are working fine. Uninstall the old Realtek driver, reboot and then install the new Realtek driver and reboot before testing.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&p=3&s=111
Version V6.0.1.7027
Description Realtek Audio Driver
File Size 104.33 (MBytes) 2013/09/16 update

r0xb0x
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Hey hmscott,

sorry I didn't get back sooner. I did try updating drivers, both audio, and network and still nothing.

As the problem occurred while connected to wifi and by not having the wifi even on, it wasn't a router or network error. It happened while playing vidoes offline.
I went through a clean install of Windows 8, as suggested by Asus support, but that did not work either.
I also tried updating the bios, which did not help.

So I sent it in, and it was in fact defect. Haven't received a complete update as to what and how (yet).
But they will send me a new one.

Thanks for your help.

hmscott
10-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Hey hmscott,

sorry I didn't get back sooner. I did try updating drivers, both audio, and network and still nothing.

As the problem occurred while connected to wifi and by not having the wifi even on, it wasn't a router or network error. It happened while playing vidoes offline.
I went through a clean install of Windows 8, as suggested by Asus support, but that did not work either.
I also tried updating the bios, which did not help.

So I sent it in, and it was in fact defect. Haven't received a complete update as to what and how (yet).
But they will send me a new one.

Thanks for your help.

r0xb0x, thanks for coming back and updating us.

it's always a surprise when these symptoms are actually due to a hardware problem :)

Asus is great about fixing problems and turning laptops around. Be sure you check it all out like it is brand new and make sure you are happy with everything within the first few days - just in case you need to turn it around for another issue - it is rare but it happens, and Asus wants to make sure you are happy with the laptop - so give them a chance to do so.

Please do come back and let us know the details of the fix.