PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX help

kdogg21
09-24-2013, 09:54 PM
If anyone out there has a suggestion id be very apreciative. my laptops been running okay for awhile now but last night i was
playing a game on battery power it was unplugged and the screen went black but the pc was still on it was like it was in standbye. i tried to cntrl+alt+del but nothing came up so i had to shutdown manually. when i restarted it went to startup tools and couldnt find a solution to start windows. i then continued to restart agn and got to the windows logo but then the screen turned black agn , but this time it stayed black i gave it a few minutes just incase and still nothing so i manually restarted agn and went to safe mode imediatly thinking it was my video card drivers. so i reinstalled the latest drivers and restarted, with the same results. so i let the laptop sit while i slept last night. in the morning i turned on the laptop and it logged in.....

should i be worried still? or would the problem maybe solved because i plugged my laptop back in and also reinstalled the video card drivers?

thank you so much for any advice

brecker
09-24-2013, 11:27 PM
The notebook was entering hibernation when you shut it off. It was probably writing all the ram in the hd at that time. Windows should have scanned the drive for errors and start. What happened with the startup tools?

I don't think that the video drivers are the issue. Did you do a clean install btw?

Something went wrong with the hibernation, you may want to try disabling it in safe mode and see if it fixes it.

kdogg21
09-25-2013, 12:53 AM
the startup tools couldnt find anything so it suggested going to an earlier restore point i let it proceed , havent done a clean install yet as i have alot of things to backup before i try it if i do. i havent reformatted this thing in 2 years so im sure its about time i do anyways , yea i was playing
saints row 4 and it just went into some sort of permanent hybernation it seems couldnt get back in u think i should have waited more then a few before restarting before? i mean its working now im logged into windows and its able to play games but im worried it might happen agn

brecker
09-25-2013, 03:01 AM
To do a clean install of the drivers you have to run the install in safe mode, go to advanced and tick clean install...

If it does happen again let it shut down by itself, think that with win 64 bits + a game you should be at 4/5 gb of ram used at least, almost all that info gets copied when going to hibernation... it takes a little bit to finish... but at least wait 1 minute, check the hdd light, it should be on almost the whole time...

It is not recommended to force shut down while writing the hard drive, the same goes for pen drives or ssds...

If you don't to experience this you can just disable it for good. Hopefully it will attempt to shut down on its own, or it will shut down suddenly...

Zygomorphic
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Sounds like the battery ran out. I'd advise against gaming on battery power for that reason. As to video drivers, that's likely not to be the case. Instead of reinstalling, you can always try running the system file checker from the command-line. That program doesn't need a reinstall, and tries to repair (or replace) corrupted system files.