PDA

View Full Version : G53SW-XA1 screen/boot problem.\

predmr
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I was using my laptop(G53SW-XA1) via HDMI to browse the internet, when all of a sudden the screen goes blank and the computer is unresponsive. No when I turn it on the screen is blank(no power) and the keyboard doesn't light up. I hear the disc drive power on but it certainly isn't booting. Just sits in silence. Anyone have a similiar problem or a nice fix? Any help is appreciated!

-Mark

brecker
09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Is the problem only when starting it with the hdmi plugged in?

Was the notebook not being powered when it hapened?

It is possible that the battery can't provide enough current to power the whole machine and the hdmi cable at the same time...

predmr
09-24-2013, 11:20 PM
It was plugged in when it originally happened. And the problem remains without using HDMI.

brecker
09-24-2013, 11:31 PM
If you turn it on by pressing the rog button you experience the same result? (I think it was the rog but it may be the power mode one, that way the machine should boot to a linux stored in onboard memory)

predmr
09-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Same problem.

brecker
09-25-2013, 12:18 AM
It looks like a hardware issue. I wonder what happened. Something is not working and not letting it boot.

If you are lucky:

The ram or the screen got magically disconnected while in use and remained that way.
Perhaps a track / diode blew in the motherboard and the gpu / cpu / ram and the keyboard are not getting powered. They are fixable.

If not:

Either cpu, gpu or a ram stick got fried for some reason, perhaps you got some caps that are failing, or the gpu failed.

Are you still under warranty?

You only have access to one ram without voiding your warranty, you could try removing it, but it is a slim chance. You can also disconnect the lights from the keyboard, though I don't think it will help. Everything else requires to remove the sticker that is below the battery to access it, which voids the warranty.

If you are still covered I would suggest you to do an RMA...

predmr
09-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Out of warranty. I'll take a look under the hood and check RAM and other connections. I added 2 sticks a few weeks ago so this may be good news. Thanks for helping!

predmr
09-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Can't find a RAM or connection problem. Is there a repair service alternative to ASUS you could recommend? I've had bad experiences with them repairing this unit.

brecker
09-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Well I'm actually from Argentina and no one offers warranty for imported notebooks, so I learned to fix them myself. I don't know where you can, hopefully someone here can recommend somewhere, it would help if you mentioned in which country at least though :p

You sure you placed the rams correctly? They have to be put around a 45 degrees angle and then pushed to be locked, if you put them like desktop rams they will get disconnected after some movement. (just to be sure)

You fully disassembled it or just got the bottom out?

Also have you tried removing both of the new rams?

predmr
09-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Checked all of the RAM sticks. I only took off the keyboard and back plate. Where exactly are the connections dealing with the screen?

brecker
09-25-2013, 03:38 PM
The connection dealing with the screen are below the front plate. Somewhere around the backspace and the questionmark keys in the keyboard. If I remember correctly there is a drawing the the user manual. It is just a connector that you push from above to connect. You could try applying some pressure to see if it connects, though don't brake the keyboard trying to do this...

The thing is that to remove the front plate you have to unscrew the screen first. After that the whole motherboard is accessible. If you are going to do it I can assist you locating the hidden screws, though they probably are on a video on youtube as well; Also be very gentle with the flex cables and the locks that hold them, you don't want to brake any of them.