PDA

View Full Version : does your g750 do this too?? please test

jsarver
09-25-2013, 01:40 AM
ok so i just got my g750jh. i have noticed while doing basic things that my left side fan ramps up shortly then goes quiet again. im assuming the left side is the cpu cooling assembly.

when i open chrome and go to youtube the fan ramps up for about 5 seconds then goes quiet again. this also happens when i open up the geforce experience app and many other basic programs.

looking at realtemp it seems that its aggressivly trying to keep temps under 40 on the cpu. anyone else have this ramping fan??
PLEASE help me see if this is normal or not.

im using the windows default balanced power mode.

iweber95
09-25-2013, 03:14 AM
ii dont have this problem on mine. I never accually can hear my fans

jsarver
09-25-2013, 03:49 AM
I had the Jx for a couple weeks to try and I never noticed on that one either. I'm wondering if the jh is set up with a more aggressive fan curve. For reference the fan kicks up to about the same level as it does when the pc boots up.

Randomname
09-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Nope, my JH functions normally :s
I barely hear the fans, except when I'm in my room, where it's quiet, and I do mean really quiet :)
The fans are normally barely audible :)

jsarver
09-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Nope, my JH functions normally :s
I barely hear the fans, except when I'm in my room, where it's quiet, and I do mean really quiet :)
The fans are normally barely audible :)

i do work in a quiet environment so maybe thats why i notice this. does your fan oscillate regularly? mine literally kicks on and off every 30 seconds or so while browsing youtube or anytime i open apps.

Flea0
09-25-2013, 04:29 PM
that doesn't sound right. try updating the bios?

hmscott
09-25-2013, 04:41 PM
i do work in a quiet environment so maybe thats why i notice this. does your fan oscillate regularly? mine literally kicks on and off every 30 seconds or so while browsing youtube or anytime i open apps.

jsarver, it's possible something is running in the background that brings up the utilization floor to the point where your app use pushes the utilization up enough to require Active fan cooling. Monitor background processes and sort by highest CPU, you might find something.

I had this happen to me recently, a background Media process was running and soaking up CPU during idle times. I solved it by uninstalling the bundled Cyberlink PowerDVD app and downloading and installing the newest version.

I usually uninstall the bundled Cyberlink software and install the latest as part of the first things I do, but this time I left it installed longer than normal. It might have been running in the background indexing my media, and at the new install I select it to not do that.

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 13 installed now, and it stays idle:

I have found background indexing, media servers (sharing), anti-virus scans, broken utilities, etc. Find it, reconfigure, tune, or uninstall it to solve the problem.

If you don't find other background stuff running while youtube viewing, or whatever else you notice the every 30 seconds cooling symptom, it might be the JH active cooling fan response curve.

I don't think the JH is that much different on the CPU side than the JX/JW, but I guess it is possible that the Fan curve tuning to accommodate the larger cooling area/fan in the JH might have provided an opportunity to mess it up - and the tuning went too far in the wrong direction. But, others with JH's are replying that they don't see the problem - so we are back to your background processes.

You might want to uninstall Adobe Flash and try Youtube as HTML5 (youtube keeps both versions, or converts on the fly) and see if you have the same symptoms (while watching for background processing).

Try a new Adobe Flash install for both IE and Firefox too.

HWinfo64, AIDA64, and others are good for watching CPU temps and utilization. Watching those to see what temp / utilization the fans start up will be good to know.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

http://www.aida64.com/downloads

It is also possible that the build on your laptop might not have as good of a Thermal paste job on your CPU, or some install issue with the cooling system. That would take a trip to Asus to fix - fixing it yourself - opening the top to get access - voids the warranty I am told. Check with Asus if it comes to a question with the cooling system.

You can mask the problem for now by going into the selected Control Panel => Power Options => selected Power plan => Change Plan Settings=> Change advanced power settings => Processor Power Management => set Cooling Policy to Passive for Plugged in and Battery

That will change the response to more heat to reduce CPU speed vs turn on the fan for active cooling - at least it is supposed to :)

Let us know what you find!

jsarver
09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
ok gonna start here and keep posting as i test. no random tasks running in task manager and cpu is about 1% with no programs open.

temps according to aida 64 hit a high of 39c at idle on core 1 with no programs open. no fans audible fan noise when sitting this way.

this is set to active cooling in the balanced performance mode.

bios is most recent.

using chrome to type this the computer is quiet till it hits about 43c then i get a short burst of fan speed till it drops to about 40c. this is all according to aida64. aida is reporting a jump to about 2300 rpm.

can you guys please attempt to copy my results and listen carefully for the ramp up. i dont know if mine is just louder or what but man i cant miss it.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
set system to passive cooling while plugged in and restarted. no change. still ramps up when opening geforce experience for example. starts again about 43c.

processor is also undervolted -40 in attempt to remove heat with again no change.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 09:02 PM
im fine with fan noise but not when its so inconsistent and ever changing. a steady fan whoosh is fine for me and i could work with that. not sure if i should retunr it or deal. seems like a lot of money to spend to just be annoyed trying to use it for basic tasks...

jsarver
09-25-2013, 09:24 PM
while having the aida64 stability graph open but not actually running the test i can keep an eye on the cpu temps even easier. i noted while only having aida64 open then opening task manager via cntrl+alt+dlt i have a quick spike to 49c and my fans obviously kick in. can someone also test that for me...takes to seconds. could help narrow issue.

Pierre990429
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a G750JH. I'm in a quiet room too. Most of the time, when I'm browsing, the fans are off. The 7200rpm drive gives the mot sound in this case. But they can also spin for a short time when I do "a little more" (video, opening lots of tabs, etc) . Or sometimes when I do "nothing". Doesn't bother me.

When I play (Skyrim), I can hear the two fans activating (not very loud), it's normal.
Again, at the desktop, when I do several things, I can indeed hear the CPU fan starting for a short time and then stopping again. Even if the GPU or CPU temp isn't really high.

Recently, I ran Windows Defender on the whole C: drive (means 250000 or more files). Weirdly, the CPU fan started to get rather loud. I guess it was a case where the G750 and the bios "decided" that the CPU could or needed to be at 100% ... No problem. It means it will be done "fast".

Other than that, as said, this laptop runs surprisingly quiet, even with demanding 3D games.
30 mn of Skyrim gives a GPU temp of 55 C . The CPU must be at ~ 50 C. Same for "a new Dawn", Nvidia's tech demo.
Some rare games like the weird Risen 2 Dark Waters (that made my desktop geforce 580 GTX "scream" , even though it's a ASUS DCII) can heat the GPU up to 65C. Risen 2 is a special case, I've heard.
The fans seem to stop at ~ 40C for both CPU and GPU. And the Geforce 780M cools really fast.

It's very possible that the JH has another cooling algorithm than the JX or JW.

I think what you describe is the normal behavior of the JH. :)

I remember the Dell M170, where the fans ran often. The Dell M1710 had another cooling profile : nothing up to 75 C (for the GPU), then cooling till 60C, and the cycle starts again. NO good. Too brutal amplitudes. My M1710 died. My M170 from 2005 is still alive.....

jsarver
09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
ok thanks. id like to gather more info from other owners but i appreciate the input. i do agree the machine is great under load (when fan noise is expected and required). i find it strange how easily the cpu hits it's "lower" fan kick in limit on my machine just sitting here typing this reply...

can you check to see if doing something as simple as opening steam causes your left fan to kick in for about 5-6 seconds please?

Pierre990429
09-25-2013, 09:49 PM
*cough* Don't have steam installed (don't ask... bought the game, twice (great Dragon figurine) but wanted to "keep" it at patch 1.8 - 1.9 has lip-syc troubles). But yes, opening the configuration panel did it too.
So, no worries. btw, I've BIOS 205.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
same bios here. thanks for your time man

Pierre990429
09-25-2013, 09:52 PM
you're welcome.
going to bed : midnight here, in France.

hmscott
09-25-2013, 09:54 PM
while having the aida64 stability graph open but not actually running the test i can keep an eye on the cpu temps even easier. i noted while only having aida64 open then opening task manager via cntrl+alt+dlt i have a quick spike to 49c and my fans obviously kick in. can someone also test that for me...takes to seconds. could help narrow issue.

Small blip in CPU usage, no increase in temp, and fan at 2300rpm, no additional fan noise.

Here is 100% CPU usage, fan at 4400 rpm, definitely audible.

When I tune fan curves in a Motherboard BIOS, it is possible to set it on a knife edge, so that any usage kicks up the fan(s). It is really annoying :)

You might email Asus, file a technical inquiry and ask them to change the fan curve in the next JH bios so it isn't quite so aggressive on spinning up the fan at any usage - like you are seeing.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 10:22 PM
ok now im led to believe the fan profiles and actual fans inside maybe different between the two models. my fan maxes at 4000 and keeps my cpu at 87-88c. ran aida64 stress test for 2 min and 30 seconds and that is were it peaked. my overall cpu temp at idle is within a degree of yours.

my aida fan speed graph also reads 2300rpm whether totally silent or with the quick "spin up." i find all other fan rpms accurate besides that.

with aida open and looking at the cpu temp (not cores or any other reading) when opening steam i get an almost instant temp spike from 42c to approx 46c and instant fan spin up. left side fan only. this stops immediatley when the temp hits 40 again.

from what i see the activation point for what im hearing is right about 45c that seems awfully low and im constantly bumping into that.

hmscott
09-25-2013, 10:47 PM
ok now im led to believe the fan profiles and actual fans inside maybe different between the two models. my fan maxes at 4000 and keeps my cpu at 87-88c. ran aida64 stress test for 2 min and 30 seconds and that is were it peaked. my overall cpu temp at idle is within a degree of yours.

my aida fan speed graph also reads 2300rpm whether totally silent or with the quick "spin up." i find all other fan rpms accurate besides that.

with aida open and looking at the cpu temp (not cores or any other reading) when opening steam i get an almost instant temp spike from 42c to approx 46c and instant fan spin up. left side fan only. this stops immediatley when the temp hits 40 again.

from what i see the activation point for what im hearing is right about 45c that seems awfully low and im constantly bumping into that.

Yup, that is how the knife edge fan spin up is programmed into the fan profile. Pick a low temperature to start the spin up, set a fast attack, and a fast spin down. The way to get rid of that annoying knife edge is to set the attack to slow on and slow off, and perhaps set a higher trigger temperature - which is what I see on the JW/JX.

The left side is the CPU fan, the right side is the GPU.

Too bad Asus doesn't give us the BIOS control in the G750 like they do in their ROG motherboards. Tuning the fan curve, at least being able to affect the style of attack on the spin up and initial trigger temperature would go a long way to allowing us to set the characteristics we most want in the cooling for the CPU.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Yup, that is how the knife edge fan spin up is programmed into the fan profile. Pick a low temperature to start the spin up, set a fast attack, and a fast spin down. The way to get rid of that annoying knife edge is to set the attack to slow on and slow off, and perhaps set a higher trigger temperature - which is what I see on the JW/JX.

The left side is the CPU fan, the right side is the GPU.

Too bad Asus doesn't give us the BIOS control in the G750 like they do in their ROG motherboards. Tuning the fan curve, at least being able to affect the style of attack on the spin up and initial trigger temperature would go a long way to allowing us to set the characteristics we most want in the cooling for the CPU.

so your thinking that this behavior is normal for the jh as well? doesnt sound like its happening on your end with jx.

my other computer is a desktop using a formula v watercooled. my 780's are conrolled by evga manual fan curve so i have it set to my liking. not used to this preprogrammed nonsense. want more control!!

hmscott
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
so your thinking that this behavior is normal for the jh as well? doesnt sound like its happening on your end with jx.
my other computer is a desktop using a formula v watercooled. my 780's are conrolled by evga manual fan curve so i have it set to my liking. not used to this preprogrammed nonsense. want more control!!

Probably a couple more JH users confirming would make it a more solid yes, but Pierre990429 confirmed his JH is doing the same spin up for normal use.

The JX/JW fan curves are definitely tuned toward keeping the CPU fan off, but it does spin up when needed. It worried me at first, I thought there wasn't "enough fan" :)

IDK what you can do about the JH for now, it will take a new fan curve or access to manual curve tuning. I guess you could wire in a thermal switch to override the Asus control - have the switch close at 50-55', force your own overlay on their fan curve.

Too bad the Balanced mode passive trick didn't work. You could try to do that with the Asus Power4Gear Power plans - they have something special going on with the Asus BIOS that the generic Windows plans don't.

jsarver
09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Good call bro. Much appreciated!

Draetor24
09-27-2013, 03:32 AM
I just found this thread. Anyway, here's some more confirmation...

I've already had to RMA a G750JH for display reasons, but I do remember the 2 days I had that unit, my CPU fan would sped up and down repeatedly when doing something basic on the desktop. My new replacement G750JH is doing the same exact thing, so I'm thinking it's intentional and nothing faulty.

The normal CPU fan noise is actually very quiet and doesn't bother me, but the problem lies in that once the fan turns completely off, it's a very noticeable difference, and my ears become sensitive to the noise change. I'd rather have the fan constantly moving than turning off and on.

I think the issue is that doing something basic or idling on the desktop is causing the CPU temps to move a couple degrees up and down at the fan threshold. This is a really bad threshold point, since the noise becomes bothersome when idling. Playing games has no effect since I'm hearing gaming sound, and the fan is constantly on and quiet..so there's no noticeable change in volume.

Here's hoping we can get a BIOS change to the CPU threshold so when we are sitting idle on desktop or doing basic browsing, the fan doesn't repeatedly go off and on.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Yep you just nailed it on the head. That is exactly what I'm running into and my same thoughts about fan noise/activation. Glad u found this thread and commented. Def hope for a bios change too. Grab Aida 64 if you want and see if u can confirm the 45 degree activation point and 40 degree shut off point.

Machine is beast otherwise and I'm still happy with the purchase overall. What display issues did u have?

jsarver
09-27-2013, 07:00 PM
anyone who is following the thread...i called asus and this isnt normal. returned to tiger direct. see if number 2 does it in a couple weeks

hmscott
09-27-2013, 08:20 PM
anyone who is following the thread...i called asus and this isnt normal. returned to tiger direct. see if number 2 does it in a couple weeks

jsarver, but didn't you get confirmation from 2 other JH owners that they are seeing the same behavior? And, Draetor24 has had 2 JH's that do the same thing, so with your experience that is 4 out of 4 JH's that do the same thing.

You could report that to Asus and ask for a BIOS update instead of sending your unit back. Asus may ask you to send it in for review/repair because they know debugging over the phone isn't the best way to find the problem.

Iif you already debugged it to a similar result and have 4 out of 4 units tested showing the same thing, you have a good argument for them to escalate to Engineering for a solution - let the process go through a few emails - which is why I do Technical Inquiry's via email instead of calling in.

Did you already ship it back? You might want to wait - those JH units are hard to find and if everything else is ok, perhaps continue to ask for JH users to check the behavior - we haven't found even one JH user that has said it doesn't happen to them.

Draetor24
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
I can't believe you sent it back that easily. My last RMA took 1 month to come back. My display issue was that it just wasn't turning on, but I could connect to an external display, so it was a problem with the display itself or the connection inside.

Let me know if the next unit you get has the same issue. I'm going to believe it does, since both of mine do the exact same thing. Asus tech support hire a lot of inexperienced workers who don't know how to troubleshoot beyond telling you "just rma it" and then have a real tech diagnose the issue. I would not rely on their advice to RMA something. I recently spoke to someone from Asus who doesn't even know what a G750 is, and I spent forever on the phone with him so he can do his research on my time.

Not to hate on Asus, but most companies have 1st tier tech support people like this who just delegate it to someone else.

hmscott
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
This tip might help you get through the rapid fan up/down behavior in the JH's BIOS right now, until Asus puts out an updated BIOS with a new CPU fan curve.

Get another source of noise that you can stand to overlay the noise you can't stand.

Pink/white noise generators, music or a video playing in the background can work too, or get a desktop fan to blow air over you and/or the JH to break up the air between your ear's and the JH - that cuts the sharpness of the sound from the fan spin up / down.

What I do now is wear active noise canceling headphones, the kind that cup the ears providing mechanical as well as active electronic noise canceling.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 09:08 PM
jsarver, but didn't you get confirmation from 2 other JH owners that they are seeing the same behavior? And, Draetor24 has had 2 JH's that do the same thing, so with your experience that is 4 out of 4 JH's that do the same thing.

You could report that to Asus and ask for a BIOS update instead of sending your unit back. Asus may ask you to send it in for review/repair because they know debugging over the phone isn't the best way to find the problem.

Iif you already debugged it to a similar result and have 4 out of 4 units tested showing the same thing, you have a good argument for them to escalate to Engineering for a solution - let the process go through a few emails - which is why I do Technical Inquiry's via email instead of calling in.

Did you already ship it back? You might want to wait - those JH units are hard to find and if everything else is ok, perhaps continue to ask for JH users to check the behavior - we haven't found even one JH user that has said it doesn't happen to them.

i did have two people confirm they have the same issue but i had even more tell me that its abnormal. asked on notebook review forum and got two nos and asked on a youtube review video and got another no. just couldnt stand it anymore and for 2400 bucks i shouldnt be annoyed with my purchase ya know. ill def keep this thread posted though on my findings on the new one.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I can't believe you sent it back that easily. My last RMA took 1 month to come back. My display issue was that it just wasn't turning on, but I could connect to an external display, so it was a problem with the display itself or the connection inside.

Let me know if the next unit you get has the same issue. I'm going to believe it does, since both of mine do the exact same thing. Asus tech support hire a lot of inexperienced workers who don't know how to troubleshoot beyond telling you "just rma it" and then have a real tech diagnose the issue. I would not rely on their advice to RMA something. I recently spoke to someone from Asus who doesn't even know what a G750 is, and I spent forever on the phone with him so he can do his research on my time.

Not to hate on Asus, but most companies have 1st tier tech support people like this who just delegate it to someone else.

i agree the guys i spoke with on the phone had little knowledge regarding the computer and troubleshooting. i didnt rma it under his advice though...he wanted me to reinstall windows...facepalm. i returned it to the seller not asus. they are sending another one next week. im ok with waiting and this is a new batch so who knows what will happen. im honestly not expecting miracles but for what we paid for this im ok with returning a few on their dime to make certain its normal behavior. honestly sometimes i think some people just settle for things when they shouldnt have to when it comes to tech ya know. certain flaws are accepted as normal or common and its considered ok to people. not saying that is anyone on this thread but i see it often where people overlook things to not have to deal with returns.

hmscott
09-27-2013, 09:16 PM
i did have two people confirm they have the same issue but i had even more tell me that its abnormal. asked on notebook review forum and got two nos and asked on a youtube review video and got another no. just couldnt stand it anymore and for 2400 bucks i shouldnt be annoyed with my purchase ya know. ill def keep this thread posted though on my findings on the new one.

Annoying, yup, I bet it was. So you returned it, or returned it for replacement with another JH?

I don't know of another 780m that would be better right now, not without spending another $1000.

Update us when you get your replacement, even if it isn't a JH :)

If it is still happening to the JH when I get mine, I will pursue getting a BIOS update with Asus Engineering.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Annoying, yup, I bet it was. So you returned it, or returned it for replacement with another JH?

I don't know of another 780m that would be better right now, not without spending another $1000.

Update us when you get your replacement, even if it isn't a JH :)

If it is still happening to the JH when I get mine, I will pursue getting a BIOS update with Asus Engineering.

went with another jh. not confident in any other gaming laptop company at the moment even with this issue. i still feel asus is king when it comes to performance, cooling, and USUALLY noise lol.

hmscott
09-27-2013, 09:21 PM
i agree the guys i spoke with on the phone had little knowledge regarding the computer and troubleshooting. i didnt rma it under his advice though...he wanted me to reinstall windows...facepalm. i returned it to the seller not asus. they are sending another one next week. im ok with waiting and this is a new batch so who knows what will happen. im honestly not expecting miracles but for what we paid for this im ok with returning a few on their dime to make certain its normal behavior. honestly sometimes i think some people just settle for things when they shouldnt have to when it comes to tech ya know. certain flaws are accepted as normal or common and its considered ok to people. not saying that is anyone on this thread but i see it often where people overlook things to not have to deal with returns.

jsarver, I am with you, I am not suggesting putting up with the problem, but it is easier to debug when you have the laptop to test solutions with Asus.

If you reached the limit of returnability, you do get to reset the clock with a new laptop to pursue testing the problem with Asus. :)

You could still pursue / report the problem through Asus Technical Inquiry while waiting for the replacement.

I encourage you to help Asus fix it while I wait to get my JH ;)

Pierre990429
09-27-2013, 09:27 PM
As I said, I think it's a normal behavior. The bios "wants" to keep the CPU under 40 C. It's really just a quiet "swoosh" sound.
But you're right, they could have chosen a "higher" threshold, but they didn't for some reason.
And I don't think we will see CPU or GPU thermal throttling, like on some other laptops.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 09:31 PM
As I said, I think it's a normal behavior. The bios "wants" to keep the CPU under 40 C. It's really just a quiet "swoosh" sound.
But you're right, they could have chosen a "higher" threshold, but they didn't for some reason.
And I don't think we will see CPU or GPU thermal throttling, like on some other laptops.

yeah it def may be but im gonna make sure by testing it for myself. keeping a laptop under 45c is a hefty task but to ramp from what is basically 0 to 2300rpm in a split second seems a little aggressive. id rather the fan screamed when under load to play catch up then spin up when i want to check task manager. at least then the noise is drowned out by my gaming noise or i have headphones on

hmscott
09-27-2013, 10:28 PM
yeah it def may be but im gonna make sure by testing it for myself. keeping a laptop under 45c is a hefty task but to ramp from what is basically 0 to 2300rpm in a split second seems a little aggressive. id rather the fan screamed when under load to play catch up then spin up when i want to check task manager. at least then the noise is drowned out by my gaming noise or i have headphones on

It might be that on the JH it is the best Asus can do with the fan / control circuit used.

But, like you say, if they put the start temp a little higher, at least above normal minor activity - like starting a browser, app, video playback, then it would keep the noise floor down and reduce the occurrence of the annoying stop / start spin up / down.

Right now my JX is showing 2300rpm while watching a Hulu video, and I feel air coming out the left vent. I don't notice the fan noise unless I put my ear right up to the laptop while muting sound from Hulu.

Pausing Hulu doesn't affect the fan sound, but the AIDA64 program weirdly doesn't track the fan speed in step with the CPU utilization, the fan speed graph starts / stops, and isn't as long as the CPU utilization graph:

It sounds like on the JH it is running at 2300rpm like mine and then whooshing higher, it must be idling at 2300 or less, and then whooshing up higher momentarily - it is possible it is a characteristic of the JH fan circuit.

Another thought, I have been in environments that have annoyingly good acoustics coupled with a low sound floor (no ambient noise), so I have used physical barriers to stop reflection of sound to reduce noise from fans.

Carpet pieces or some other sound deadening pieces under the laptop extending out a few inches behind it, and putting a sound absorbing obstacle like a book / manual angled away from direct reflection in the path of the fan output and between a reflecting surface like a wall or metal helps. Really active rooms like wood floors / granite walls are the worst. I had a media room once in a marble living room I had to simply give up on fixing :)

jsarver
09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
so at idle when i open aida i dont even get a fan reading. its not till i hear the whoosh that aida quickly updates to 2300. i do agree that 2300 isnt loud at all when running, but when (as it appears) that the fan isnt running then jumps up then stops it becomes "loud."

again the fan at the supposed 2300 isnt terribly or unbearably loud but when your going from absolute silence to a fan whoosh every 5-10 seconds it becomes a problem.

the other thing is that with 2% , per your graph, usage you shoudlnt see a spike in voltage (which equals spike in temps) enough to make a fan run. i was getting temps spikes at 1%...that doesnt even make sense. the whole thing just seems really inefficient.

hmscott
09-27-2013, 11:47 PM
so at idle when i open aida i dont even get a fan reading. its not till i hear the whoosh that aida quickly updates to 2300. i do agree that 2300 isnt loud at all when running, but when (as it appears) that the fan isnt running then jumps up then stops it becomes "loud."

again the fan at the supposed 2300 isnt terribly or unbearably loud but when your going from absolute silence to a fan whoosh every 5-10 seconds it becomes a problem.

the other thing is that with 2% , per your graph, usage you shouldn't see a spike in voltage (which equals spike in temps) enough to make a fan run. i was getting temps spikes at 1%...that doesn't even make sense. the whole thing just seems really inefficient.

I agree, the whooshing fan noise, starting and stopping at non-threatening CPU temp/utilization levels seems rash, and fixable. Did you file an Asus Technical Inquiry describing the problem / details?

It may sound silly, but you could run a background program like BOINC, FAH , or ? at lower levels, just enough to trip the fan to run all the time at a low but constant speed. As you said once the fan is running it isn't loud, and by running the fan constantly at low levels the fan won't whoosh at every action.

jsarver
09-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I did file a tech ticket with asus with a detailed list of the issues.

If my next jh does it I'm gonna try and set it to the max performance setting to see if that will just keep the fans on since the CPU will be at peak clocks.

Draetor24
09-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Still let us know how your new JH acts. I'm just hoping Asus releases some new BIOS that changes the threshold right now. 40C for the CPU is really cool, and I wouldn't mind if they upped it to 45-50C, or even just adjust the fan speed to a permanent low setting rather than ON or OFF which causes the big noise difference every 30seconds.

British
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I've had my JX for about a week now and have noticed this issue. The fan will just ramp up at odd times, e.g. just surfing the web, installing software, just sitting there, etc, NOT during gaming.

zalbard
09-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Fan curve is definitely a little too aggressive on the JX.
Temperatures are fantastic, so not sure what's the point.
Pretty sure fan can stay completely off until CPU or GPU reaches 45C, or even 50C, regardless of CPU utilisation. That's absolutely safe...

I am sure this can be easily addressed via a BIOS update. :o

hmscott
09-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Fan curve is definitely a little too aggressive on the JX.
Temperatures are fantastic, so not sure what's the point.
Pretty sure fan can stay completely off until CPU or GPU reaches 45C, or even 50C, regardless of CPU utilisation. That's absolutely safe...
I am sure this can be easily addressed via a BIOS update. :o

British/Zalbard, we have been discussing the fan curve on the JHA, not the JX. The JHA is exhibiting tweaky fan spin up / down behavior. JW's and JX's have been fine.

If you have a JX that is doing this, is it a new JXA model?

Updated: JH => JHA

jsarver
09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes jh was being discussed but would like to know exact Jx model. For the record my jh was a jha

jsarver
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
More confirmation that this behavior is common over on the notebook review forums.

chrsplmr
10-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Best of Luck. May I suggest that you contact one of the cl's here on the forum and hope fore 'eyes on' ..
cl-Albert comes to mind, but of late I have seen someone under the name support@Asus ...
All the Best. Keep us Posted.c.

jbreeze228
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
My JW model was doing the same thing! Found out it was that cyberlink crap throttling the cpu all the way up to 25%. Closed it and haven't had the fan increase problem since

hmscott
10-02-2013, 04:59 PM
My JW model was doing the same thing! Found out it was that cyberlink crap throttling the cpu all the way up to 25%. Closed it and haven't had the fan increase problem since

Thanks for the confirmation to my post #7, I think this could be an unnoticed issue for a lot of G750's, it might only be DVD models as someone else confirmed blu-ray models have different Cyberlink software installed, but if that version has the same default install settings they might have the same issue.

It's always a good idea to have some kind of process monitor running when you are running a new OS build, or after new software installs, or New updates... Pretty much most of the time.

It's nice to know what is really going on, otherwise you just don't know. Trust, but verify.

And, don't be afraid to get down and dirty, in close, and suck out the bugs that wander in and vampire your CPU :)

jsarver
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Breezes issue is different from mine. I had blu ray and had uninstalled the cyberlink.

hmscott
10-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Breezes issue is different from mine. I had blu ray and had uninstalled the cyberlink.

Yup, we correlated that earlier, but I am happy the info solved another persons noisy fan problem :)

It is still to be determined if the JHA issue also happens on JXA / JWA series builds.

It might be an issue that starts with the "..A" builds.

jsarver
10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Agree! Glad he got a fix

Draetor24
10-05-2013, 06:39 PM
I did a clean Windows 8.1 install on my JH, but I did in fact install Asus DVD (Cyberlink), since I have a bluray drive. I've never used this software in the past, but at the time I didn't know of any other bluray DVD software so that I would be able to utilize my drive. I don't wish to pay for anything either, since I very rarely use my drive.

hmscott
10-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I did a clean Windows 8.1 install on my JH, but I did in fact install Asus DVD (Cyberlink), since I have a bluray drive. I've never used this software in the past, but at the time I didn't know of any other bluray DVD software so that I would be able to utilize my drive. I don't wish to pay for anything either, since I very rarely use my drive.

There might be a setting to fix the Media process issue with Asus DVD (the version that only supports DVD playback), turning off indexing media files on the local drive, sharing media, or something related where a service is set to run all the time is where I would look.

Proner
10-05-2013, 10:16 PM
this laptop is cold as heck compared to my HP....I thought it was broke too...

jsarver
10-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Update: new pc came. Jh still has the oscillating fan at the same temps but fan is quieter then the last. Another bonus is that in the laptop my paste job must be much better. I'm idling between 39 and 41. This means I hit fan kick in much less often. The CPU under volts better and the gpu is holding a killer oc that has put my cloud gate score well over 19000. Also I have noticed that the screen on this one has might less light leak if any at all. Overall I'm pleased I sent the old one back and waited it out. Also tossed in a 1tb evo ssd. I'll be keeping this one for a while:)

hmscott
10-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Update: new pc came. Jh still has the oscillating fan at the same temps but fan is quieter then the last. Another bonus is that in the laptop my paste job must be much better. I'm idling between 39 and 41. This means I hit fan kick in much less often. The CPU under volts better and the gpu is holding a killer oc that has put my cloud gate score well over 19000. Also I have noticed that the screen on this one has might less light leak if any at all. Overall I'm pleased I sent the old one back and waited it out. Also tossed in a 1tb evo ssd. I'll be keeping this one for a while:)

jsarver, awesome :)

busdriver_stu
10-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Yep --- my G750jx definitely "did" this --- the fans would spin up and then off, up and then off etc... and at weird times too i.e. should not be straining anything - just surfing the web or opening applications.

Updated the BIOS from 207 to 208 --- problem GONE. Quiet as a mouse ymmv

EDIT: nevermind -- should've waited longer to post --- the random fan start up is back, doh

hmscott
10-17-2013, 03:39 AM
Yep --- my G750jx definitely "did" this --- the fans would spin up and then off, up and then off etc... and at weird times too i.e. should not be straining anything - just surfing the web or opening applications.

Updated the BIOS from 207 to 208 --- problem GONE. Quiet as a mouse ymmv

EDIT: nevermind -- should've waited longer to post --- the random fan start up is back, doh

Did you try setting a negative voltage offset at default CPU settings with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? By setting a -50mV CPU/cache voltage offset you can drop the idle temp a few degrees, perhaps enough to keep the fan from triggering quite so often.

I attached a .xtu.zip file with defaults set except for the -50mV offsets. You could also try lowering the voltage further - my current JX only does -50mV in all load conditions so I leave it set there. My JW did -100mV under all load conditions, that really dropped the temperatures.

Intel Extreme CPU Tuning Utility - XTU - version now is 4.2.0.8
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Default CPU settings except for -50mV CPU/cache

jsarver
10-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Yes try the voltage. For reference I could only go -40 on my first and am at -45 on my second. Results will vary. Keep tweaking to find your sweet spot.

Coconut Wolf
10-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I too have the same fan behaviour with the G750JH which I received yesterday. I thought it was faulty because I had the G750JX for about 2 weeks and it was deadly silent. Unfortunately I had to return the JX to the seller as there were other problems with it. I ended up getting the JH. However, I do find the noise coming and going very distracting. Hope there will be a solution to this.

OVNIPR
11-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Yup, we correlated that earlier, but I am happy the info solved another persons noisy fan problem :)

It is still to be determined if the JHA issue also happens on JXA / JWA series builds.

It might be an issue that starts with the "..A" builds.

Hi everyone! I received mine yesterday and just right out the box the CPU fan kicked in at full speed and cpu temp at 98C and my room is at 21C!! I'm waiting the RMA for an exchange. Mine's is an A revision. Another thing, I can not update the BIOS because the Winflash error "Bios model or version Incompatible"

lawimli
12-27-2013, 09:57 PM
UP

anyone with a solution for this problem???

IT IS VERY ANNOYING and let me regret to buy the g750.
Work good and all, but this noise is very irritating.

The damn cpu fan start working loud every 30 seconds or so, also when the computer is let alone open, then it stop and 30 seconds later start again.
I checked the temperatures and under 45C is ok... after that the fan start.... putting the temperature down 2-3 grades and then start all again forever

PLEASE HELP and let everyone known of this problem until ASUS not fix it with BIOS upgrade.

hmscott
12-28-2013, 10:16 AM
UP

anyone with a solution for this problem???

IT IS VERY ANNOYING and let me regret to buy the g750.
Work good and all, but this noise is very irritating.

The damn cpu fan start working loud every 30 seconds or so, also when the computer is let alone open, then it stop and 30 seconds later start again.
I checked the temperatures and under 45C is ok... after that the fan start.... putting the temperature down 2-3 grades and then start all again forever

PLEASE HELP and let everyone known of this problem until ASUS not fix it with BIOS upgrade.

You didn't say which model G750 you have... the JW/JX hold off on spinning up the fan as long as possible, so if you are hearing the fan it is because the GPU/GPU is getting hot - looking from the keyboard/screen side the left fan is the CPU fan and the right fan is the GPU fan.

Which side is spinning up every 30 seconds? I am going to guess the left side, cause the CPU fan mostly is the only one you hear, until you go into a game or run a graphics benchmark.

You can open the Windows Task Manager, and sort by CPU Usage %, slow down the refresh / updating so you can catch the offending program/service, and watch what hits high CPU usage and starts the fan running.

It is likely some background service - like media indexing - you can turn that off in the Cyberlink / Asus DVD program. Or it might be WIndows Indexing - turn that off in the control panels. It might be your anti-virus or other background security program scanning your disk.

If you have a JH model, then the spin up of the fan is because it's fan profile is too sensitive. And, under normal temps, around 70'F ambient, the CPU fan will spin up for lots of seemingly simple activities, like browsing - the way to make it stop is to reduce the temperature of the CPU - either by dropping the ambient temperature (turn off the heater, turn on the Air-conditioning, etc) - or...

You can download a tool normally used for overclocking, the Intel Extreme Tuning Tool - XTU, and instead of speeding up the processor, instead reduce the core voltage offset in 25mV steps to reduce the heat generated by the CPU :)

Intel XTU, currently at 4.2.0.8
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

Install and set the CPU and CPU Cache offset voltage to -25mV - that might be enough. If not, try -50mV - you won't hurt the CPU, but if you reduce the voltage too far, say past -100mV you may crash - XTU won't enable itself at the next reboot if you crashed.

Once you find a stable undervolt, save it as a profile, and XTU will load it every time you boot - but if you crash Windows for any reason XTU won't know it wasn't the cause and will not set the values at the next boot - you have to manually do it in XTU again.

Here is a Profile to get you started: 31657

That only sets the offsets to -50mV, but keeps everything else at defaults - no overclocking.

Load that profile from XTU, show settings, Apply and voila, your fan should be quieter cause the CPU is running cooler - unless the problem is a back ground program using the CPU as described above :)

br1nsane
02-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Does anyone got to solve this without returning the laptop??

I own a JH, since second 1 I've got this issue, can't believe I've got to turn it over!!

br1nsane
02-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Another detail, gaming at full detail, right fan never comes on.... This is looking more and more like a failed cooling sistem.

At this point I'm open to suggestions, ANY.

hmscott
02-26-2014, 03:56 AM
Another detail, gaming at full detail, right fan never comes on.... This is looking more and more like a failed cooling sistem.

At this point I'm open to suggestions, ANY.

You could load the Asus GPU Tweak Utility and using the Monitoring part of it , watch the fan speed, GPU temp, etc and see what is going on.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu+tweak&os=30

I don't hear the right side fan as much as I can feel the hot air output increase, have you felt behind the laptop right/left side to feel the heat output difference when under heavy CPU / GPU load.

Your game, while working as hard as it can, might not be challenging the GPU. You could download some benchmarks that really push the GPU, and then you can hear the fan.

I also use BOINC with Setiathome Cuda / CPU jobs enabled often, and that will load the CPU/GPU enough to hear both fans, and new jobs are downloaded after current jobs complete - so unlike a benchmark you can stress test your CPU/GPU for hours, days, and weeks.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Let us know what you find when monitoring the GPU under load..

br1nsane
02-27-2014, 09:18 PM
First of, thanks for your reply HmScott.
I had installed speedfan, but it only gave me readings about CPU usage and temp. No fan related info.
Gonna try Asus GPU Tweak Utility (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu+tweak&os=30) see what it info I get.

My situation is I bought the JH, and left the US the day after. I couln't really test it, or gave it any thorough inspection.

Will keep posted of any info i get here.

P.S. I installed new BIOS, and CPU fan noise seems fixed now. Thou only about 3 hs of use since BIOS update.

hmscott
02-28-2014, 06:40 AM
First of, thanks for your reply HmScott.
I had installed speedfan, but it only gave me readings about CPU usage and temp. No fan related info.
Gonna try Asus GPU Tweak Utility (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu+tweak&os=30) see what it info I get.

My situation is I bought the JH, and left the US the day after. I couln't really test it, or gave it any thorough inspection.

Will keep posted of any info i get here.

P.S. I installed new BIOS, and CPU fan noise seems fixed now. Thou only about 3 hs of use since BIOS update.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved :)

There are a couple of other programs I use for monitoring that you might find useful.

HWInfo - free
http://www.hwinfo.com/

AIDA64 - I use the Engineer release
http://www.aida64.com/product/aida64-engineer/overview

Have fun :)

br1nsane
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Glad to hear the problem is resolved :)

There are a couple of other programs I use for monitoring that you might find useful.

HWInfo - free
http://www.hwinfo.com/

AIDA64 - I use the Engineer release
http://www.aida64.com/product/aida64-engineer/overview

Have fun :)

Asus GPU Tweak showed no info about fan speed. Or I don't seem to recognize the chart related to fan speed. HWInfo (not the PRO version) I had used on other rigs before, on this one, no info related to either fan, neither CPU nor GPU. On the other hand I checked temp using the charts and logs using Asus GPU Tweak. I can see that i'm far from pushing the card, need a game that's more GPU hog. :D :D :D

About the heat coming off of it, it's there, BUT, so slow, when fan kicks on the CPU I could dry my clothes from the "wind" it blows.

I can say CPU fan is behaving much better, occational burst of full speed, but not every 30 seconds like it used to, and when under use. The machine since the updated BIOS if left iddle won't turn the fan full speed like it used to.

Again, HmScott, thanks for all the help!!! :D

hmscott
03-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Asus GPU Tweak showed no info about fan speed. Or I don't seem to recognize the chart related to fan speed. HWInfo (not the PRO version) I had used on other rigs before, on this one, no info related to either fan, neither CPU nor GPU. On the other hand I checked temp using the charts and logs using Asus GPU Tweak. I can see that i'm far from pushing the card, need a game that's more GPU hog. :D :D :D

About the heat coming off of it, it's there, BUT, so slow, when fan kicks on the CPU I could dry my clothes from the "wind" it blows.

I can say CPU fan is behaving much better, occational burst of full speed, but not every 30 seconds like it used to, and when under use. The machine since the updated BIOS if left iddle won't turn the fan full speed like it used to.

Again, HmScott, thanks for all the help!!! :D

At least you have a good view of the rest of the video card monitor-ables :)

It is amazing what it takes to really put these GTX cards to the test. The BIONC stuff is pretty cool, dozens of other projects, and some that use CUDA besides SETI at Home.

Folding at Home uses CUDA too, and takes less effort to set up than BIONC/BAM!/SETIatHOME:
https://folding.stanford.edu/
https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-nvidia/

Here is another good GFX data / monitoring tool:

TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.7
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2340/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-7/

Also no fan speed.

But, you could use one of these to read the fan speed in the physical realm!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzgDBkIk8I

Let us know what you find out, if you get a chance to do it :)

br1nsane
03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Well, almost a full month later I can say that aplying BIOS update fixed the issue about the CPU fan. I've been playing Max Payne 3, Assasin's Creed, etc... and I'm still to hear the GPU fan...... Checked temp using Asus GPU Tweak and everything seems ok.

As most of us having this issue, I also have a JHA model.

So, if anyone get's this A model's should apply BIOS upgrade to fix this.

juggalofrost
03-20-2014, 05:50 PM
seems to be a jh issue i guess,cause i agree.i got the jx model and loving it,play anything for hours and never hear the fans really but i know they are working as my computer never overheats one bit staying below 50 alwayswith an oc of 932 and 5194 in memory using the asus gpu tweak

its a dream,best laptop ive ever had the pleasure of owning,course i kinda wish it had a fingerprint bioscanner like in one of my older custom machines in the day.that would be awesome too but still no worries XD

arh_justin
03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Bought a 750jh last week, after 3 days started doing the same thing, just browsing and the cpu fan starts to spin for a few second at small intervals. Just updated bios to 206(the latest I found). Anyone from asus can answer to this problem? I don't want to have spent 2200 dollars on a laptop with issues from day one.

sasuke256
03-23-2014, 04:12 PM
reset your bios settings and reboot :)

zetdotcom
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I have the same problem with the CPU fan, its starts to spin for few seconds at small intervals.
If i make bios update it will resolve the problem ? What is the last version for G70JH ?

Thank you.

hmscott
04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
I have the same problem with the CPU fan, its starts to spin for few seconds at small intervals.
If i make bios update it will resolve the problem ? What is the last version for G70JH ?

Thank you.

Go to the support.asus.com site, and do a search for your G750JH - you need to determine if you have a JHA or a JH, check in your BIOS and / or use CPU-Z.

I think sasuke256 meant to say to set Defaults in the BIOS, which is also a good idea before/after upgrading the BIOS.

The spinning up / down is due to the fan pattern programming for the model. Mine did the same thing, until I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) to set undervolting on the CPU - which causes less heat generation and reduces tripping the fan at low CPU usage. Search the forum for XTU and there are a number of discussions, links, and profiles to download.

zetdotcom
04-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the response.

I will search and read about XTU. ( Anyway my model is a JH one )

Mursu
04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Hello everyone
This is my first post here so forgive me my noobness.
Just bought G750-JH and after a day I'm getting these cpu fan bursts. For a few hours it was quiet but now the fan seems to spin pretty randomly. (EDIT: well not that randomly but for example it starts to spin when I go to "my compyter" or open Chrome) The BIOS version is 206. CPU Idle temps hovers around 41-43 degrees celsius. How can I see if I have JH or JHA???
This is seriously annoying, I spent a lot of € to this machine+ram+SSD and I don't want to send it back.

I already installed XTU but I haven't tried it out yet. Any recommendations on how to progress or send the laptop straight to the vendor?
I haven't used XTU ever before, so could someone guide me through it :D
PS. Bleebing Windows 8.1

mintys1
04-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Mursu...try having your power plan set to balanced, I found this eliminates the fan cycling to zero...think you only need it set to max performance when playing games etc...

Mursu
04-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Mursu...try having your power plan set to balanced, I found this eliminates the fan cycling to zero...think you only need it set to max performance when playing games etc...

Thanks for the hint. Setting the power plan to balanced keeps the fan silent when the computer is idle. But right after I open a browser the voice starts.

zetdotcom
04-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Seems the cooling system of JH was made like this. Mine do exactly the same thing. I have already set to balanced mode and undervolt the cpu with -50mV. The temperatures are lower but when I open chrome,my computer etc.the fan starts immediatly. So...I think its just the way he is.

adyoda
04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Just bought this laptop g750jh :((( and i have the same problem : its quiet and then lthe left fan goes 100% and then back to quiet again ... ill have to return it

hmscott
04-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Just bought this laptop g750jh :((( and i have the same problem : its quiet and then lthe left fan goes 100% and then back to quiet again ... ill have to return it

Nooooo, don't return it! :)

There is nothing wrong with it. The fan curve on the JH is more aggressive than the JX/JW, but it can be managed by a couple of simple tweaks.

Set the Power plan to Balanced instead of High Performance - you don't lose any noticeable performance, just a few ticks different in benchmarks, and all of the time the CPU is idle you don't need it running at 100% - it is wasted performance - and keeps the CPU hot so when you actually do something it kicks the fan on. Set CPU Min/Max to 0%/100%, Active Cooling.

Uninstalling Power4Gear is a good idea too, as it will go behind you and change the power setting on it's own. Power4Gear does nothing else, and nothing more than setting Balanced/High Performance manually.

The other thing to do, to optimize the tuning of the CPU with Intel XTU, is to reduce the voltage to the CPU - reducing wasted power and reducing heat generated.

Start at -25mV reduction for these 2 values:
Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset
Processor Cache Voltage Offset

The more you can reduce the voltage, which remaining stable, the better the heat reduction. All the G750's have the same CPU, so it is the luck of the draw as to how much you can reduce the voltage offset. My JW let me run at -125mV, JX at -75mV, but my JH only goes to -25mV.

Reducing the voltage through the offset also gives you some headroom to increase the multipliers with XTU - you can increase to 36x/35x/34x/34x for the CPU cores, and 36x for the cache.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

cosie
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
+1
I have the same problem, will try all suggestons asap.
PS. JH

adyoda
04-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I did all you recomanded , it is a little better now . I am still not sure if i will keep it or not (bought it from amazon so i have 30days to return it). The noise is really annoying , if i leave it on during the night to download stuff i can actualy faintly hear it from the bedroom. The noise is ok when there is allot of backround noise ... i took it to work and you can barely hear the fan , but at night i can hear it even with headphones on(sennheisers open back). While i game i dont hear the fan noise with headphones on because of all the action in the games. I just wish they made it so during idle or low usage the fan would not spin at 100% :( .
thanks for the help.
Asus customer support confirmed it is normal for this model.

adyoda
04-20-2014, 02:12 PM
What i dont understand is : in every review (amazon or profesional review) ppl are saying how silent this laptop is ... maybe it is just me :)

P.S. How about the new g750jz ? the fan has the same functionality? anyone knows?

Andy08
04-28-2014, 03:20 AM
I have a similar problem. bought my g750jw like a month ago, and it worked very silently even when gamming. now suddenly every time i plug in the charger the left fan will start working 100%, even if I'm not doing anything and woun't stop untill I turn the notebook off. this only happens when i plug the charger. any suggestions??

hmscott
04-28-2014, 04:24 AM
I have a similar problem. bought my g750jw like a month ago, and it worked very silently even when gamming. now suddenly every time i plug in the charger the left fan will start working 100%, even if I'm not doing anything and woun't stop untill I turn the notebook off. this only happens when i plug the charger. any suggestions??

Andy08, I am assuming you already looked for background processes that might be running and bringing up the temps causing the 100% fan?

What temps are you seeing when the fan is running high? If the temps don't justify the fan speed, then something went wrong with the fan controller, or if the temps are high then either the cooling system is failing or something is running in the background at high CPU usage.

Once you collect all that data, and determine it isn't because of some run away processes, you can file a Technical Inquiry with Asus and ask for an RMA to repair the 100% fan problem.

http://vip.asus.com

JeniCzech
04-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Mine does this too, though I don't really care that much to fiddle with voltages :)

Andy08
04-30-2014, 04:23 AM
thanks, that was exactly the problem, i stopped an unnecessary background process and the fan stopped going crazy. problem solved. thanks hmscott

hmscott
04-30-2014, 04:54 AM
thanks, that was exactly the problem, i stopped an unnecessary background process and the fan stopped going crazy. problem solved. thanks hmscott

Cool :)

For me the first time it happened on a G750 it was the Asus DVD (Cyberlink) indexing my files in the background... I always go in and configure the Cyberlink indexing now - delete the folders set for indexing - I don't need the index - and I tried to let it finish the first time, but it kept rescanning at every boot, so it had to go :)

FalconFX
07-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Im trying to find the issue that you are talking about, but cant seem to find it, my JH fan for CPU is always on (normal usage 38-41c), the GPU i believe is off (idle 40-41c), and i can here it in my room which is pretty silent, the fan spins at 2200-2300 RPM always, im using HWmonitor, should my CPU fan stop ??

samboy87
10-20-2014, 12:56 AM
same problem for me but on my Asus G750JS. :( every 1 or 2 min my CPU fan kicks in. dont know what it is..

success.erven
10-29-2014, 01:58 AM
how to stop unnecessary background applications?

nojule
01-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Well, just got to the end of this thread! I have news for everyone. I rendered a scene for three days on my G750JH and the fan cooling unit on the left for the CPU has completely fuc!()$#*@! itself. Everytime it needs to cool it starts up but it seems as if the ball bearings are broken or the fan itself is just completely screwed! I cleaned out any dust and what not but still the fan is broken. So off to submit my request for RMA!

l2apsux
01-18-2015, 07:52 PM
throw it off a cliff.