PDA

View Full Version : Windows can't shutdown or restart

Alka
09-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Yesterday Idk what happened but the ASUS Live Update window was showing up again and again and was trying to update or search an update but as I was not connected to the internet it couldn't, now last night when I tried to shutdown my notebook it didn't did anything neither the restart, if the power button is pressed. it will go to the "Shutting Down..." screen but never shut down the only thing that is working is 'Sleep'.
The only way to shut down my PC now is holding down the power button and I pretty much know this is a very bad thing to do.
The worst part is I don't even know what is creating the problem everything else is working fine now even the ASUS Live Update is also showing 'Your computer is up to date'. Any help will be appreciated thanx in advance.

Pitcher@asus
09-27-2013, 02:51 AM
please uninstall or disable asus life update and try again.

Alka
09-27-2013, 03:06 AM
tried.. didn't worked. thanx

Clintlgm
09-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Well it appears that some how Asus live update got on line and updated your NB!, Best advise at this point is to resore your notebook back before the problems started. YOu don't say what OS you are using Win 7 would Be Control Panel/Recovery then slect a date prior to the start of the problem. Once repaired uninstall the Asus Live Update program. You can find all the updates you need on Asus web pages (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)/support/ select your NB and OS/ download

Alka
09-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Well it appears that some how Asus live update got on line and updated your NB!, Best advise at this point is to resore your notebook back before the problems started. YOu don't say what OS you are using Win 7 would Be Control Panel/Recovery then slect a date prior to the start of the problem. Once repaired uninstall the Asus Live Update program. You can find all the updates you need on Asus web pages (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)/support/ select your NB and OS/ download

sorry.. I m havin win 8 and it have only 2 options 'Refresh your PC without effecting your files' and 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows'. I was thinking of choosing the Refresh option but wondering that I have the pre-installed Windows 8 and will it ask for a win 8 installation disk or something?? and is there a way in win 8 to restore the PC from a restoration point??

Alka
09-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Ok I refreshed my PC all my problems are gone and my PC is once again brand new. Thanx for all the help guys God Bless You :D

Clintlgm
09-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Now uninstall Asus Live update so that this won't happen again!

Alka
10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I had to refresh my windows once again or maybe twice or thrice, it came out as the Asus Live Update had to do nothing with my non restarting or shutdown problem instead the problem was created by my external hard disk. The day when my notebook refused to shutdown or restart that day I had connected my expansion external drive for sometime then a message popped up in the Action Center saying 'click here to restart the PC to solve a drive error' something like that, and after that the great problem begun, I refreshed my windows then everything was fixed again unknowingly I connected my external HDD and again my PC cried, I refreshed the windows again and I decided not to use that HDD.
So I'm using that external HDD for more than a year I don't know whats the problem with it, I think the HDD is dying or something (..no idea).
Anyways thanks for all your help when I needed guys. God Bless You :)

Clintlgm
10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I would diffidently check the cable and try it on different ports left side ports can be flaky on some units