PDA

View Full Version : Linux (Preferably Ubuntu) and G750JX

Demonicpagan
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Has anyone been able to successfully install Ubuntu (or any Linux, Debian based) OS on their G750JX machine? I have been having a horrible time trying to install it on the partition I created on my TB drive. Problems I have been dealing with are all detailed in this Ubuntu thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2176364. I would love some pointers/tips/suggestions that just might help me get it installed.

Demonicpagan
09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
No one?

Dream
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I saw that someone else on here had a more advanced version of Linux running, but not Ubuntu.

I'm all ears if you can get it working. Sadly I'm no where near experienced enough to play around with it without screwing something up.

Steam OS should be out "soon", maybe that will boot up properly on the JX?

villiansv
10-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I am in the process of installing Arch (most likely with Cinnamon) and will let you know what works/doesn't.

chiefshockey
10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll be installing Slackware64-current on my 2nd hard drive either tonight or tomorrow. I'm trying to go 100% EFI/GPT so we'll see what happens!

villiansv
10-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Quick feedback - everything works (some tinkering required to get touchpad right-click working, and I can't change backlight yet). Will add more info when I have time.

Edit: Everything does work just fine. I installed it on a MBR HDD (didn't want to deal with UEFI on my primary SSD, which doesn't have that much space anyways). Used the syslinux bootloader, installed it in the MBR of the HDD. BIOS was set to secureboot off, fastboot off, launch csm on - then I just hit ESC at startup and selected either my SSD for windows or HDD for Arch.

Out of the box, the glaring issues were:

1. 3d acceleration didn't work with nouveau (at least Cinnamon complained). I didn't bother with this (it may work with tinkering), as I installed the binary nvidia driver, which works fine. Note that KMS did work and booted fine to Cinnamon's fallback 2d mode, no crashes whatsoever.
2. Touchpad right-click button didn't work (though two-finger-tap worked as right-click). http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux has the solution, it worked just fine in Arch, no reason why it wouldn't work in any other Linux. I did have to install the xf86-input-synaptics package though.
3. The brightness buttons don't work. To fix this, I appended

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

to my syslinux.cfg boot line, you can add the same to the relevant grub/grub2 files if using that. Then, make sure you

modprobe asus-nb-wmi

and make sure you auto-load it if needed. Once done, you can use

xbacklight -inc 10

to increase brightness by 10% (use -dec to decrease). I used the cinnamon custom hotkeys (any DE should have an equivalent) to set up ctrl+alt+up/down to up/down brightness by 10%.

I hope this helps. Note that Arch, being a rolling distribution, has the newest packages, so Ubuntu may be running older kernels/xserver versions that cause your issues.

MaYaSeVeN
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
thank you for the informations. i just ordered g750jw and linux hardcore fan too. i just want to ask you some more question
1. which about the graphics driver you used in linux . Download from Nvidia official website ?
2. What about how video card switch in linux, can or can not or use bumblebee optirun or can disable intregated graphic on bios or not ?
3. Nvidia-settings can detect external monitor connected via dsub, hdmi, thunderbolt out of the box ?

Thank you for advanced :)

villiansv
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
thank you for the informations. i just ordered g750jw and linux hardcore fan too. i just want to ask you some more question
1. which about the graphics driver you used in linux . Download from Nvidia official website ?
2. What about how video card switch in linux, can or can not or use bumblebee optirun or can disable intregated graphic on bios or not ?
3. Nvidia-settings can detect external monitor connected via dsub, hdmi, thunderbolt out of the box ?

Thank you for advanced :)

1. Being on Arch, I used "pacman -S nvidia" which is just the Arch package of the nvidia driver. If I had been using a different distro, I'd probably use their package manager. I wouldn't use the nvidia installer in general, as it will probably not work when the kernel updates (but in theory the end result would be the same, as it's the same driver, just repackaged for the relevant distro).

2. G750 laptops have the built-in intel card permanently disabled. The nvidia is always in use, so there's no switching to worry about. This can't be changed.

3. Will have to check, as I never usually use a 2nd monitor. I have a HDMI TV - will reply here when I get around to it. It should be plug and play though.

villiansv
10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
3. It's indeed plug and play. Plugging the HDMI TV results in an automatic extended desktop (TV showing up as "on the right" of the laptop display). The nvidia settings program that comes by default with the driver allows you to change this easily (including a clone mode).

MaYaSeVeN
10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Woww this is awesome laptop for linux :D . I have a lot of problem about graphics card and optimus in my old laptop for long time. thank you again villiansv for the informations :)

villiansv
10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Woww this is awesome laptop for linux :D . I have a lot of problem about graphics card and optimus in my old laptop for long time. thank you again villiansv for the informations :)

It's an awsome laptop in general, but in terms of out-of-the-box Linux experience I'd rate it a 7/10. I find it quite a showstopper that you can't right-click with the touchpad unless you compile your own driver, and that only because a random person on the internet knew what to check. The screen brightness is also an issue, albeit one more easily fixed.

In any case, the bottom line is you can get everything to work with some effort. However, people only experienced with Ubuntu/Mint's oversimplified installation process will likely have issues. As you said you're a hardcore linux fan, you shouldn't have any issues but others may find it a daunting task. However, if you are the kind of person that welcomes challenges, getting Arch Linux up and running does teach you a lot about the Linux OS. Not to mention it's not that hard, if you follow the beginner's guide on their wiki (the BEST linux wiki I've seen, bar none).

MaYaSeVeN
10-03-2013, 06:01 PM
It's an awsome laptop in general, but in terms of out-of-the-box Linux experience I'd rate it a 7/10. I find it quite a showstopper that you can't right-click with the touchpad unless you compile your own driver, and that only because a random person on the internet knew what to check. The screen brightness is also an issue, albeit one more easily fixed.

In any case, the bottom line is you can get everything to work with some effort. However, people only experienced with Ubuntu/Mint's oversimplified installation process will likely have issues. As you said you're a hardcore linux fan, you shouldn't have any issues but others may find it a daunting task. However, if you are the kind of person that welcomes challenges, getting Arch Linux up and running does teach you a lot about the Linux OS. Not to mention it's not that hard, if you follow the beginner's guide on their wiki (the BEST linux wiki I've seen, bar none).

I confirm ArchWiki is the BEST wiki about linux. i solve many problem with that :D

Zygomorphic
10-05-2013, 01:07 AM
I confirm ArchWiki is the BEST wiki about linux. i solve many problem with that :D
True. Even though I have never run Arch, it does definitely help matters a good deal, since the guys on there are all LINUX experts, and they are willing to share how to solve problems - often in ways that aren't dependent on the Arch distro.

Demonicpagan
10-05-2013, 01:15 AM
I've never ran Arch, myself. I started out using Debian and when it came to putting something on my old laptop, moved to either Mint or Ubuntu since they are Debian based. Like I mentioned in my OP, I'd prefer to run Ubuntu (or at least some Debian based distro) as it is what I am accustomed to.

Knowing that there are other distros out there that can run on a G750JX does give me hope that issues that are hindering my ability to install a Debian based distro on this system can be eventually overcome.

villiansv
10-05-2013, 03:18 AM
I was able to start Ubuntu 13.04 (latest) 64bit in UEFI mode with no issues. Used a live usb stick, no special parameters anywhere. Fastboot, secureboot and csm all off. Not getting stuck on a black screen like you, for some reason.

chiefshockey
10-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Slackware64-current is a work in progress for me. Just working on getting EFI up and running properly.

Mint installed flawlessly for me when i tested it, but I know slack and am most comfortable there.

Zygomorphic
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Echo the Debian mantra. It's not necessarily the best distro (let's start a flame war :p), but it certainly has a lot of support. Mint seems to be the best of the Debian distros now, since Ubuntu picked up that horrid Unity interface.

borillion
10-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Hey guys on Mint 15 here, everything works except back-light, I tried xbacklight but that has no effect either. Do you happen to have link on how to fix the trackpad and buttons?

villiansv
10-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Hey guys on Mint 15 here, everything works except back-light, I tried xbacklight but that has no effect either. Do you happen to have link on how to fix the trackpad and buttons?

The trackpad link is in my earlier post. As for backlight, try the suggestions I gave there, though it may be reliant on newer kernels than Mint 15 has (using Arch, I can confirm 3.11.x kernels work in changing backlight).

DukeWellington
10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to mention that I was able to get Ubuntu 12.04.3 (64-bit) up and running on the G750JX without any special fiddling with only minor problems. Previously, I couldn't get 12.04.2 or below to run on the laptop because the liveCD wouldn't boot, but .3 fixed it somehow for those that are curious.

One thing of notable mention was that I couldn't get battery information to be displayed in the system settings, and there were no options for dimming the display on battery or for actions on what closing the lid would do. Have any of you had trouble with this?

borillion
10-15-2013, 02:35 AM
DukeWellington, try an newer release like Raring or Mint. Again there are the issues with the trackpad and the dimming but it can possibly be fixed. Im looking at upgrading my kernel to see how it goes.

borillion
10-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Good news, I was able to get the backlight working as indicated on the keyboard.

acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=''

There is nothing between the single 'quote' marks.

Im running on Mint 15, Linux G750JHA 3.11.5-031105-generic #201310132235 SMP Mon Oct 14 02:35:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I used the kernel and kernel header *.deb for saucy.

Battery shows correct charge as far as I can tell as well as I have sleep or whatever its supposed to do when you close the lid.

borillion
10-15-2013, 08:45 AM
test

borillion
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Huh, I'm getting access denied when I try to post instructions on how to duplicate what I did.

Zygomorphic
10-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Huh, I'm getting access denied when I try to post instructions on how to duplicate what I did.
On the forums? Try logging out and logging back in and see if that helps.

MaYaSeVeN
10-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Just Confirm. I can make Dual Boot Windows8.1, Linux in Raid0 and Enable EFI, Secure Boot. Everything is working perfectly now, but not out of the box, It's need some complex config to make it working.

Picture of GRUB bootloader:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=543393279065935&set=a.528927450512518.1073741826.139105159494751&type=1&theater

borillion
10-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Do you mind documenting your process for others? Love the Grub boot screen where did you get the background for that?

Just Confirm. I can make Dual Boot Windows8.1, Linux in Raid0 and Enable EFI, Secure Boot. Everything is working perfectly now, but not out of the box, It's need some complex config to make it working.

Picture of GRUB bootloader:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=543393279065935&set=a.528927450512518.1073741826.139105159494751&type=1&theater

Demonicpagan
10-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't have a Raid configuration on my laptop so I don't know if that makes any difference, but I as well would like to know how it was pulled off and what Linux distro your running.

Zygomorphic
10-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't have a Raid configuration on my laptop so I don't know if that makes any difference, but I as well would like to know how it was pulled off and what Linux distro your running.
It does. RAID makes things harder, depending on how you have your RAID set up. I would suggest that you try downloading the LINUX Mint 15 ISO and creating a bootable USB key. It has the EFI signing key so that you shouldn't have to turn the SecureBoot off. LINUX Mint is pretty easy to install and configure, since it has good support for modern hardware.

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Does anyone had luck with Ubuntu 13.10. It has 3.11 kernel but still wireless network not working in live mode.

lspci | grep wireless showed me our broadcom wireless but i dont get any network notification and no wireless interface in Network.

config: Secure boot - Enabled. Fast Boot - Disabled (G750JW)

Dr. Zchivago
10-30-2013, 05:46 AM
I have used Ubuntu 13.10 for almost a week now, and aside from the learning curve, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
I allocated 150 Gb for the Linux-related partitions, and I haven't had any problems.
There are, doubtless, many other people on here with more wisdom than I.

If you have any direct and very specific questions (so I can research exactly what you're looking for, and learn a little more myself), I'll answer anything I can about the installation.

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks Dr. Zchivago for reply.

I was been an Ubuntu user for past 2 years in previous laptop which is very old and everything worked out of box. I do not have much experience with such driver issues and all. So your help will be highly appreciated. :)

I have following queries..

1) How can I make Wireless driver work? was it out of box or I need to follow https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1173761/comments/29

2) You have only disabled Fast Boot in bios and FastStartup in windows 8 power settings, right? I believe there are no Other changes made.

3) Was there any other extra packages used for touchpad, graphics driver etc?

When I used ubuntu in live mod, I was pretty satisfied with everything except wireless issue. There was backlight issue which I believe we can avoid using kernel param as mentioned somewhere in this forum. But I just want to make sure if ubuntu works fine or I have to research on Fedora or some other cutting edge linux distros.

Dr. Zchivago
10-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks Dr. Zchivago for reply.
1) How can I make Wireless driver work? was it out of box or I need to follow https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1173761/comments/29

Both wired and wireless networking worked fine for me out-of-the-box. I didn't test the network in Live, but I was wired into my router throughout the installation/update process. That being said, I am not sure if the wireless network card in your G750 is different from my G55vw, so you may have a different driver set altogether.

I will, however, be formatting and reinstalling Ubuntu in a month or so to clean up all of the trash that will accumulate from my software exploration.

2) You have only disabled Fast Boot in bios and FastStartup in windows 8 power settings, right? I believe there are no Other changes made.

Prior to installing Ubuntu, I disabled Fast Boot in BIOS; and since I'm running a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium, I do not have the Fast Startup addon installed (I didn't want it anyway).

3) Was there any other extra packages used for touchpad, graphics driver etc?

Generic drivers have worked marginally on every piece of hardware so far. The "multi-finger" controls for the touchpad are not present (Elan drivers are not installed), but that's not critical to me yet.

The bass speaker was detected and is functional without any VIA drivers (which I don't have in Windows either because of some issue I have yet to solve), but it sounds good in Ubuntu.

The only negative issues I've had so far have been power related. When operating on battery, in Ubuntu, and normal program strain (for me is FireFox with three or four tabs, streaming internet radio, and MatLab), I have noticed that the run time is only around 60% what it is when I'm doing the same tasks in WIndows. I have not yet found the software to control cpu/gpu voltages, nor have I found reliable benchmarking and/or monitoring software to determine exactly what is going on with the power distribution.

---------

I will add your queries to my research list, and I'll update when I can. Please also remember that I am quite new to Linux, so this is a bit of a learning experience for me. All I can offer without any doubt is a systematic approach to problem solving.

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks once again Dr. Zchivago

And I believe wireless device for G750 is different from my G55vw. I am not in front of my ROG to check what is exact version of hardware I have. All I know is it is Broadcom Wireless 802.11AC adapter. Anyway I have a LAN cable and I can install OS using that. So i will give it a try when i get back home

Dr. Zchivago
10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
And I believe wireless device for G750 is different from my G55vw.

HA!! I led you off of the trail, friend. I had seen Demonic's original post about a G750 and that was stuck in my head. You and I both have G55vw laptops. I should ammend my previous response by saying that I have a G55vw-RS71, and hopefully our devices are the same, because mine worked just fine with Ubuntu out-of-the-proverbial-box.

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
oops.. Sorry Copy paste error.. I have G750 only. I tried to copy your model from your post and "my G55w" came :p

I will check if ubuntu 13.10 works with G750jw

Demonicpagan
10-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I had issues with the wireless detection on the live CD and because of that didn't install the OS. Installing via a hardwired connection isn't the preferred installation setup for me with my network setup.

Dr. Zchivago
10-30-2013, 01:59 PM
For the next time I re-install Linux, I'll check to see if I have any trouble running wireless from Live. I grew up hearing that you only ever setup a network while wired and that way you're not screwed if you can't get the wireless set up - haha.

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
This is to confirm that Ubuntu 13.10 will work excellent in G750JW. Just now I have completed installation and all drivers works out of box.

Yes I had issues with detecting wireless drivers in live cd mode, but after installing by connecting to internet with ethernet cable, everything installed and working fine. Installation was in dual boot mode (haven't checked yet if windows is working :p )

Only problem now is display brigtness not able to reduce and right click on touchpad does not works(but tap using two finger works as right click). Otherwise I am very very happy with the outcome.

Settings: Secure Boot - ON, Fast Boot - OFF, Fast Startup (in windows8 power settings) - OFF

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Okay.. This is a post from my Windows 8 to confirm that is also working as well :D

My other concerns with ubuntu are heating issue (around fan area) and below average battery backup

Dr. Zchivago
10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
It sounds like our mutual issues are identical: multi-finger (three-finger, more appropriately), screen brightness, and the active cooling issues.

A favor, if you would: track battery life under identical load between Windows and Ubuntu. My runtime in Linux is only ~60% what it is in Windows with the same programs running. I was thinking this might be a combination of active/passive cooling, cpu/gpu power adjustments usually controlled by the Power4Gear software, and other small things like wireless adapter power states and screen brightness.

Keep us posted.

Dr. Z

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah sure.. From what I have seen during installation, I am sure Ubuntu battery backup with reach no where near windows.. Live CD boot (some browsing) to Installation completion took around 50% in an hour.

Zygomorphic
10-30-2013, 03:29 PM
I have noticed that LINUX has worse battery life, and I have followed the efforts in that area with some interest. A lot of it comes down to drivers. The latest kernels have better battery life than older ones, but the nVidia drivers to a terrible job of power management, so there's a significant drain right there. That's why Intel-only graphics cards do so much better, since Intel puts in proper power management for their LINUX drivers - caveat: they're a whole lot slower. nVidia simply releases one that works everywhere, but has desktop-style power-management. Maybe we could push for changes?

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Default installed driver for graphics is : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.3, 256 bits)

I am going to try Nvidia binary Xorg driver 319.60 now

Edit: okay new driver installed "GeForce GTX 765M/PCIe/SSE2" is working. Let me see how well it is...

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 04:47 AM
New Nvidia driver seems to be doing better job compared to graphics driver comes with ubuntu (Gallium 0.4 on llvmpip).

In an hour battery reduced by 30-35% with browsing (at full brightness of course) and graphics transition is smooth here. Will post more observations later..

Zygomorphic
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM
New Nvidia driver seems to be doing better job compared to graphics driver comes with ubuntu (Gallium 0.4 on llvmpip).

In an hour battery reduced by 30-35% with browsing (at full brightness of course) and graphics transition is smooth here. Will post more observations later..
That's pretty good! Try it at a lower screen brightness and see how it acts!

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 10:31 AM
haha still problem is there with brighness control I am not able to do anything to reduce it. Not even after adding kernel Param

gazzacbr
10-31-2013, 12:46 PM
i have ubuntu 13.04 and screen brightness is a killer for me so far. i dont like leaving the screen on 100%.
i have tried options in grub for kernel params, update grub, modprobe, xbacklight etc.
still no luck though. does somebody have a working solution to share (laptop as sig)?
is the only solution to install another flavour of linux?

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think its flavor issue. If it worked with one, we could make it work with other with same kernel/driver. Will check in depth and post here if got any luck.

villiansv
10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Not sure why you guys are having issues with Ubuntu. As I posted on page 1 of this thread, Arch allows you to change brightness (and that was with the 3.11 kernel, which Ubuntu 13.10 is now running). Similarly for the touchpad right-click not working, the link I suggested with its instructions should work on any linux, it's just building a driver via dkms and modprobing it.

gazzacbr
10-31-2013, 03:58 PM
maybe i should update the kernel, except that last time i did that on another laptop it destroyed the graphics and i had to do a reinstall.
''it's just building a driver via dkms and modprobing it.''
oh, is it that easy (sarchasm), youve lost me already :(

villiansv
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
maybe i should update the kernel, except that last time i did that on another laptop it destroyed the graphics and i had to do a reinstall.
''it's just building a driver via dkms and modprobing it.''
oh, is it that easy (sarchasm), youve lost me already :(

Unfortunately, much as I'd like to, Linux is not as user-friendly as Windows/OS X. If it works, great. If not, you better know how to compile/modprobe/use terminal. In this case, it's the latter.

Dr. Zchivago
10-31-2013, 05:07 PM
After installing System Load Indicator, cpufreq, and TLP ppa, and after stroking down the cpu frequency (I think I've done everything right), I have noticed an improvement in battery life of about 10% (so, now battery life is about 67% - 70% that in Windows).

I still haven't found a reliable solution (that is newb-able) for my inability to change screen brightness, as I suspect that is the primary culprit of battery drain.

Added: I have now managed to improve battery life to ~150% Windows. I can run for about 3 hours and 45 minutes - all with the addons mentioned above. Additionally, I now have the ability to change the brightness of my display, although I am not quite sure why yet.

gazzacbr
11-01-2013, 06:03 PM
...Additionally, I now have the ability to change the brightness of my display, although I am not quite sure why yet.
but if you do find out, please let us be the first to know...

Dr. Zchivago
11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I have my machine's power settings set such that closing the lid puts the OS into Suspend Mode, all of the aforementioned addons are installed and active, and the option to allow the OS to dim the display to save power is checked (probably has nothing to do with it, but testing is in order).

Consistently, after waking the computer up from Suspend mode, I have the ability to adjust the brightness settings, where I was unable to make any adjustments prior to Suspend, after logon.

I know I haven't solved the problem by any means, but it is my hope that this will clue you Linux experts into a possible solution. I will also be conducting some tests later in the weekend when I have more time to dedicate.

Zygomorphic
11-02-2013, 01:25 AM
i have ubuntu 13.04 and screen brightness is a killer for me so far. i dont like leaving the screen on 100%.
i have tried options in grub for kernel params, update grub, modprobe, xbacklight etc.
still no luck though. does somebody have a working solution to share (laptop as sig)?
is the only solution to install another flavour of linux?
Make sure that you download and install the latest video driver from nVidia not from Ubuntu's repositories. The latest nVidia drivers support backlight settings, whereas the ones in the Ubuntu repositories do not.

sasikumardr
11-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I have downloaded through additional drivers application. What is the version of driver which supports backlight control? And are you saying no kernel params change is required?

Zygomorphic
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
I have downloaded through additional drivers application. What is the version of driver which supports backlight control? And are you saying no kernel params change is required?
I don't remember if there are changes to the kernel params; I certainly didn't do it (nVidia's driver may have). I'm going to try the latest version as downloaded from nVidia's site. I'll let you know if it works on my G53SX.

mikefaille
11-03-2013, 11:59 AM

If you use kernel 3.11+ with NVIDIA's official driver, your are supose to have some problems :-)
See : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwMTk

We must lobby computer company to push real Linux support. Lenovo do, Dell Do, HP do....

With ROG computer, ASUS need to be ready to receive SteamOS.

Actually, I use kernel 3.12 RC7 on my G750JW
My kernel boot command line :
=vmlinuz-3.12.0-0.rc7.git4.2.fc21.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root vconsole.keymap=us rhgb acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux zswap.enabled=1 zcache LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off

NVIDIA Driver Version: 325.15
Fedora 20 Beta 1 (I want to be sure I have last lib and hardware detection feature with udev )

Ho, and, Steam work very well with Dota2.
You can see me steam profile to know what game I had test actually with my ROG laptop on Fedora 20
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077799046/games/

Zygomorphic
11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
I've noticed that nVidia takes a little bit of time to support each new version of the LINUX kernel, but they do get it supported. The nouveau drivers that ship withe kernel seem to work just fine, but they are horribly slow, and occasionally have graphics artifacts on boot (Sabayon does right now). Can't say that the artifacts bother me, since they disappear on login. It mostly looks like the framebuffer isn't properly cleared when the screen resolution is changed.

mikefaille
11-04-2013, 05:46 PM
But, NVIDIA is not our only one problem.

There is ASUS specific bug like touchpad support. ASUS must use Synaptic touchpad since Elantech v4 is badly supported under Linux - Synaptic contribute directly to the kernel. Maybe, ASUS employes can fix the touchpad right click button bug directly. It will be very nice for each Steam OS enthousiasm (yes I use mouse during game but I frequently need touchpad...).
There is my contribution : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35105-Linux-compatibility&p=324514&viewfull=1#post324514

There is the wifi bug too. But, it can be easily fix if you have some skillz under Linux using broadcom official proprietary driver for BCM4352 chip. Bad for people just want thing done.. Maybe, it supposed top be auto-supported under Ubuntu (only).

The laptop didn't recover correctly from sleep - I lost sound.

But, this can stop me to play last Steam games under Linux :-)

I know this is very cheap for asus to fix critical bug like touch pad one. I appreciate little more business support under Linux. ;-)

RobNJ
11-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Demonicpagan... Did you ever get Ubuntu up and running via wifi, on the laptop?

mikefaille
11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
RobJN : I suggest you this link for wireless : http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/218

FYI, you must Google something like :
BCM4352 ubuntu install

If you want more help for your wifi chipset.

RobNJ
11-11-2013, 12:32 AM
FYI, you must Google something like :
BCM4352 ubuntu install

If you want more help for your wifi chipset.

Thanks! That's actually how I found this thread

sasikumardr
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Just noticed, NVIDIA has released new driver for 700series graphics - v331.20 dated Nov 6 2013. One of the changelog says "Added a new NV-CONTROL attribute, NV_CTRL_BACKLIGHT_BRIGHTNESS, for controlling backlight brightness". Somebody have tried this driver? I will try and let you know findings later when I get back home.

I believe this is different driver version from what @Zygomorphic was discussing before

http://www.nvidia.in/Download/driverResults.aspx/69495/en-in

sasikumardr
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Something messed up while installation :( now gdm not accessible in ubuntu 13.10. Tried purging drivers and going back to nouveau driver with no luck.. wasted 2 hrs on configuration.. :( now back to windows..

Dr. Zchivago
11-11-2013, 04:18 PM
My first time installing took three attempts before everything went smoothly with no errors - haha.

If I'm understanding the Linux development process completely, we're the ones who test and correct problems.

sasikumardr
11-11-2013, 08:01 PM
At last back to nvidia-319-updates module in ubuntu 13.10. Xserver is back on.... phewww

btw any one had success with latest driver from nvidia on G750 (jw specifically)?

Zygomorphic
11-12-2013, 12:06 AM
My first time installing took three attempts before everything went smoothly with no errors - haha.

If I'm understanding the Linux development process completely, we're the ones who test and correct problems.
That is more or less correct. LINUX is a community developed (And driven) operating system, so the users form the development+debugging group. That's why these forum threads exist, to sort out issues. I still use them, since I'm actually not that good at LINUX.

mikefaille
11-13-2013, 05:36 PM
«hat is more or less correct. LINUX is a community developed (And driven) operating system, so the users form the development+debugging group.»
Asus can be part of the community like Steam do.

And, NVIDIA didn't really contribute on the kernel. We must hack for them... Currently. we must hook brightness input provided be NVIDIA to standard Linux input from Free Desktop Fondation. Why ? Because desktop manager like Unity, Gnome, XFCE or KDE must manage it.

And, Asus can provide documentation/contribution for brightness key. There is some special keys that didn't work. I test/confirm it with "xev" tool.

RobNJ
11-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Quick feedback - everything works (some tinkering required to get touchpad right-click working, and I can't change backlight yet). Will add more info when I have time.

Edit: Everything does work just fine. I installed it on a MBR HDD (didn't want to deal with UEFI on my primary SSD, which doesn't have that much space anyways). Used the syslinux bootloader, installed it in the MBR of the HDD. BIOS was set to secureboot off, fastboot off, launch csm on - then I just hit ESC at startup and selected either my SSD for windows or HDD for Arch.

Out of the box, the glaring issues were:

1. 3d acceleration didn't work with nouveau (at least Cinnamon complained). I didn't bother with this (it may work with tinkering), as I installed the binary nvidia driver, which works fine. Note that KMS did work and booted fine to Cinnamon's fallback 2d mode, no crashes whatsoever.
2. Touchpad right-click button didn't work (though two-finger-tap worked as right-click). http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux has the solution, it worked just fine in Arch, no reason why it wouldn't work in any other Linux. I did have to install the xf86-input-synaptics package though.

THANK YOU!! Right button is now working!

Wisteso
01-14-2014, 09:55 AM
This guide helped me get my backlight keys working 100% as intended (on-screen display working, and using the actual function keys). It's a tiny tiny bit hacky but surprisingly very clean for an unofficial fix.

http://lajackson2.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/g750jh-backlight-brightness/

Zygomorphic
01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Awesome! :) It's actually not too bad, most of those commands are designed to be used to control stuff like this. :)