PDA

View Full Version : [G55] Fan makes a very loud whirring noise on startup

agentnnc
09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
I bought the laptop 28 days ago from amazon (so too bad for returning it now right?!). Now when I start up the laptop it makes a super loud whirring noise for about 30 seconds before going down to a quiet hum (when I bought it, there was no sound, ever from the fan). Previously the only noise would from from the left side of the track pad when I opened iTunes (hard drive?) which would make a quick and loud buzz.

Asus support can't answer my questions, they just tell me to ship it over. They also seem to think that the G55 has two fans...

What can I do about this?

SHADO
09-29-2013, 07:38 PM
They also seem to think that the G55 has two fans...

It does. :)

Have you tried cleaning out the fans by blowing compressed air into them?

Read the last post of this thread discussing cleaning and fans:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19702-Cleaning-my-g55vw/page2

There is mention of a disassembly video, and a link to a photo of some sort of plastic sheet inside the lappy that can come loose and make noise.

I'm thinking you can try to troubleshoot the problem yourself (probably requiring disassembly) which would void your warranty, or you can send it in for repairs under warranty by Asus.

Pitcher@asus
09-30-2013, 01:57 AM
i think you sent back, because you can not dismantle by youslfe, it will void warranty, but you can dismantle back to check is it HDD sound.