PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Issue

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Hey, I apologize if this has been solved or asked already, but I've tried finding solutions everywhere and nothing seems to resolve my issue.

I just got my ROG laptop in late July of this year so I've only had it for a few months. As of recently (a few weeks ago) I was getting some random BSOD from Windows 8 anytime I tried running a game. I figured there was a faulty video drive so I went and updated it and things went back to normal. Fast forward a week and the problems have gotten worse. It was frequently shutting down randomly and wouldn't turn on. I would press the power button but it would light up and then turn itself off. If I was lucky I could hear the fan starting but just as quickly as it started, it stopped.

I tried resetting Windows 8 but it shut itself down before it could finish. Now whenever I am able to even get it to stay on I'm stuck at the ASUS ROG screen and all I get is "Automatic Repair." Sometimes I can access BIOS if I'm quick enough but I don't know what to do from there. I heard removing the battery has helped with others but because the G46VW has an internal battery I have no clue how to get to it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Pitcher@asus
10-01-2013, 03:18 AM
if you press F9 to restore os, is it complete restore? i think it is driver issue.

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Yup it's a complete restore. I tried messing around with BIOS a bit and was able to try another complete restore but it BSOD when I got to 8%. After that I haven't been able to turn on my computer. I tried going back to a restore point and there were none saved. I'm really stuck as to what to do. I know it's a driver issue but I can't even get into the desktop or anything else without Windows crashing on me.

XKalibur
10-01-2013, 05:47 AM
@carloschavez2013, it sounds like a driver issue but don't discard a possible hardware failure.
I've seen this behavior with incompatible RAM modules, hard disk failures and even GPU overheating because desoldered joints.
Have you upgraded hardware on your G46?
Try memtest to check if there is a problem with your RAM. Secondly, try to run a hard disk diagnostic tool from boot if possible and let us know if an error comes up.
If there is a hardware failure, you should ask for RMA.

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I haven't touched any of the hardware on it. Don't even know how to open it really. I'll try the memtest. I've donea hard disk check and everything checked out fine and it saris no errors found.

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Currently whenever I press the power button, it stays on for a few seconds as if it was going to turn on, but then the keyboard doesn't light up and it shuts itself down. The power light and the light to the right (I assume it's the hard drive) turn on but then turn off. The s
The fan goes on as well but it doesn't seem to want to load

XKalibur
10-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Hello carloschavez2013.
There is a test that just came up to my mind. This will help to check if the problem is hardware or software.
1. Try to get any live Linux CD iso and burn it to a DVD. I would suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both DVDs allows to test the OS without installation.
2. Connect an external DVD (you could use the one included with the laptop) and enter BIOS.
3. Set your boot order to the External DVD first.
4. Try to disable the secure boot option in BIOS before rebooting. I can't recall the procedure now as I don't have my G46 at hand.
The steps above could lead you to use the Linux OS for testing purposes, but if the laptop turns off while testing, I would call Asus Tech Support and request an RMA.
Hope this helps amigo!

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I'll try that once I can get my computer to boot. So far I've had no luck trying to turn it on.

Is there a way to do an electrostatic discharge on the G46VW?

EDIT: Here's a video to give a better example of what my current issue is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLK66OhH3Rs

The keyboard doesn't even light up anymore and this just started happening today.

I'm starting to think it's most likely a hardware issue :\

XKalibur
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Your video is private :(
I wouldn't try the electrostatic discharge as this could damage the components and also will void your warranty.
One thing that could help is to remove the battery, but is also not recommended because there is no direct access to it but disassembling the laptop, which also voids warranty.
Calling ASUS looks like your best option.

carloschavez2013
10-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Ah sorry about that. Changed the settings so it should be viewable well I talked to ASUS and they said it is most likely a hardware issue. I wonder if this could have been prevented if my roommate didn't put his microwave on my desk.

XKalibur
10-02-2013, 02:50 AM
I did a test on my G46 and as soon I press the power button, the first LED from left to right becomes active and the hard drive LED starts blinking while the ROG logo shows in screen.
There are two possible causes about the problem you are facing:
1. The BIOS is damaged and not loading as your screen does not show anything or,
2. Hardware problem.
Did you get some suggestions from ASUS Tech Support besides it could be hardware failure? Will they provide you an RMA?
On the meanwhile, try to find some information regarding how to reload BIOS. I'm not familiar with the procedure but I've read a little about that, I think here at the forum are some threads about that.

carloschavez2013
10-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Other than getting into BIOS or factory reset they didn't say much else. They were willing to provide an RMA but I still have a warranty with best buy so I'm probably going to exchange it if I can't fix it.

XKalibur
10-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Good luck. Sometime ago I had a bad experience with those guys from Best Buy in Mexico.
When I purchased mine in June, after a week of using it I noticed battery wearing even I'm really careful with battery use. I went back to Best Buy, explained the issue and they refused to provide me the advanced replacement even I purchased that option with them. They only offered to send it back to ASUS, so be careful with them as they told me that the process would take a full month.
I decided to grab my G46 back with me and so far the battery wearing has not been increased, but since I bought it, I lost a little more than 5% of battery charge capacity. I assume the battery wear was caused by the storage time (I don't know for how long they had the laptop waiting for selling it).

carloschavez2013
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Ah well thanks for the help. Hopefully Best Buy doesn't give me hard time.