PDA

View Full Version : UEFI-Mode on Rampage 4 Extreme ?

Superfly
10-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Hello ROG-Team,

I have purchased the RaidR and so far i am really happy, with the ssd.
The performance is very good and the ram disk tool is perfect.

But i only get it to work in legacy mode on my rampage 4 extreme with the latest bios 4403
I have 2 580 GTX in SLI mode in Slot 1 and 4, and the RaidR in Slot 6, with 16x 8x 8x.
The perfromance is awesome from the ssd (i get max. 830 read and 830 write performance, with ATTO)
and no Problems with SLI, but as i mentioned only in Legay.
When I switch to UEFI-Mode on the RaidR it doesnt shine up in the bios.
I have tested all Bios settings, AHCI - RAID, and with all CSM Options, but no chance.

What do i make wrong ?

ths in advice
Superfly

HiVizMan
10-02-2013, 08:13 AM
That is correct it will not be picked up in bios.

When you do the install of OS you first start the process in legacy to set the drive up, then reboot in CSM and install OS.

Did you follow the OS install guide? The guide is a sticky here in this section I am sure. What is your system not doing under legacy that you wish to change?

Superfly
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Of course I have set up the drive bevore, and i can install windows under uefi but when the cd reboots after installation it cannot boot von disk in uefi because the system doesnt find anything.
I have read the guide, also the Guide for Setting up the System in UEFI.
Sure you are right, the only thing it would does better in uefi is fast booting, but it would nice to have, when the feature is there i would like to us it :D

Nodens
10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Please fill out this template:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37841-Support-Template-fill-this-out-when-reporting-a-bug-or-issue-please!&country=&status=

Also mention if you tried disabling CSM entirely after the installation and that you did the UEFI installation as described on the guide in my signature. Particularly make sure that you actually booted the installation media from the UEFI: option.

DragonClaVV
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
R4E here too and thats the way it worked over here.

Newest bios as well 4403

- checked that the raid 0 is built on the drive what should be from the begining
- CSM to disabled OR relevant options set to uefi
- Switched the little switch on the raidr to the uefi position (Led should light up when there is power on your pc)
- booted the installationmedium (in my case an usb stick) with the UEFI: addon before it in the boot menu
- Clicked on the not allocated space and then NEW. if 4 partitons appear you are fine. selected the bottom one and installed it.

you will not see the drive in bios. you should see a windows boot manager at the first boot position

That should be all to get it running perfectly in uefi

mikano
10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi Superfly, And Rog team!,
I am Having the same issue like Superfly. I did A fresh install of Windows 7 on Raidr Express ssd as I speak. Raidr shows up in my Bios no probelm and my DVD-Rom. I too Can't get UEFI-Mode but all works fine. When I turn off pc, to switch to UEFI-Mode It won't show up in bios and a black screen comes up Enter cd to boot. Im trying my best to get this working the right way . Just thought I share and hope we can get this beast going right , Thank you all for any help.

Nodens
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
You can't install Windows and then switch to UEFI mode. You have to switch to UEFI mode prior to installing. Like DragonClaVV said:
1) Create RAID array on RAIDR while it is in legacy mode.
2) Switch RAIDR to UEFI mode.
3) Install Windows as described on the guide in my signature.

Note: Like Viz said, while the RAIDR is in UEFI mode, it won't appear in the UEFI Setup. You have to set up the array in Legacy mode and then switch to UEFI prior to installation.

mikano
10-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Thank you again, I got it working right this time. I had to update my Bios 4403 as well.

mikano
10-06-2013, 12:00 PM
You can't install Windows and then switch to UEFI mode. You have to switch to UEFI mode prior to installing. Like DragonClaVV said:
1) Create RAID array on RAIDR while it is in legacy mode.
2) Switch RAIDR to UEFI mode.
3) Install Windows as described on the guide in my signature.

Note: Like Viz said, while the RAIDR is in UEFI mode, it won't appear in the UEFI Setup. You have to set up the array in Legacy mode and then switch to UEFI prior to installation.

Thank you for your help. I got it all working like you said above and was working nicely. and Fast! after about an hour I went to shut it down , a black screen pop up so I reset power went back to bios and its not there. went through the whole thing again to get it to work and back to Legacy and first old bios and showed up in bios. then reset , again in logo screen says where it shows raid o raid 1 on upper right corner under Status it says when before it said unconfigured, before it said Configured. I hope its not a broken drive. this will be my second SSD drive my Vector as well is dead. where do I go from here and Im going to see If it can be formatted all again. Thank you.

Nodens
10-06-2013, 01:05 PM
If you are not using an IB-E chip stay on version 4206. The latest one has an issue with shutting down for me with SB-E chips. As in the system will not shutdown or reboot but stay with a black screen. This could be causing your issue.

mikano
10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Ok, the drive recognized in Bios. and the black screen says boot device not detected please insert cd/or media and hit space to continuee..
I'm going to reinstall a new Bios like you said. Thank you again.

Nodens
10-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Have in mind that after the UEFI installation is done, in the UEFI you will not see the drive itself. You will see "Windows Boot Manager" instead. This is what needs to be selected as the boot device.

mikano
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Boot manager is not showing up in Bios after updating 4206 Bios. it hangs in black screen at one point then retting it again it says Reboot and select proper Boot device. So I put windows 7 Upgrade cd in drive "I know it's not the full version. Got it to work before. And it won't install. there has to be another way into this Raidr drive to erase and reinstall its proper drivers to start over. I don't think its damage, but who knows at this point.

Nodens
10-06-2013, 02:44 PM
"Windows Boot Manager" only shows once the UEFI mode installation is finished. If it was successful the boot device will be "Windows Boot Manage". Not RAIDR or anything of the sort.

mikano
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I give up LOL!, well I disconnected the Raidr and pluged in my Western digital, reset my bios to 4102 and nothing wants to boot up. its coming up Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.I went back and forth I can't get anything to work . what could it be now. I even switch sata ports and bios one and two reset cmos. I have to walk away from this machine for a bit. its driving me nuts.

HiVizMan
10-06-2013, 04:32 PM
To sort that out simply select F8 during the boot process, the system is looking for your OS drive and can not find it. So select the OS drive from the list via F8 or set your OS drive in bios.

mikano
10-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Hivizman thanks for your respond, I did that and it goes back to reboot proper device. I think I have to reset everything including bios from beginning. what a pain. is there a shortcut to this maybe try clearing cmos again.

mikano
10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi ROG Team, I got my other Raptor HD working again in sata mode.Im going to try again to get the Raidr Express drive working. I have a quick question on this though the machine loads up heres a picture you'll see where it says on upper right corner under (Status) Unconfigured.
I don't remember it saying that, I remember it said Configured. Could it be damage or the files are corrupt and missing, if so how do I reinstall them and which files? Thank you again.27522

mikano
10-07-2013, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=mikano;319522]Hi ROG Team, I got my other Raptor HD working again in sata mode.Im going to try again to get the Raidr Express drive working. I have a quick question on this though the machine loads up heres a picture you'll see where it says on upper right corner under (Status) Unconfigured.
I don't remember it saying that, I remember it said Configured. Could it be damage or the files are corrupt and missing, if so how do I reinstall them and which files? Thank you again.27522[/QUOTE

Hi all, I finally got it working! I went out and picked up Windows 8 Pro full version. And now Im just installing updates. The Asus motherboard Cd doesn't work with Win8 error message pops up , so im downloading the files online.

mikano
10-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Everything was working fine in UEFI MODE , so I wanted to activate windows 8 and could't because I did a clean install. So I formatted the whole drive and now when I setup the Bios again like before and installing windows Vista in Custom then where you select you want to install Windows I can't becaurse it says: "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enable in the computer's Bios menu" I can't figure out what to do from here. Im thinking that Windows Vista is not compatible with the Raidr ssd. So my Question is to install Vista then windows 8 install all drivers and activate it on my Western Digital Raptor Hd then clone it to the Raidr?? is this right thank you for any help here.

HiVizMan
10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Download a Win7 ISO from Microsoft, it is fully legal to do so for purposes of installing Win8. Simply log in to your Microsoft account and download a copy.

Make sure you download the same version as you Win8 by the way.

Then follow the instructions in the RAIDR sticky for set up and OS install.

mikano
10-14-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks HiViz, I downloaded Windows 7 on to DVD. For some reason I can't get anything working now! I followed the Raidr Sticky again, and installing windows 7 then I get a error on the partition part. Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing,,,I'm lost at this point. here's a pic,, 27873

HiVizMan
10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
You need to have set up your RAID before you get to that point.

It is in the RAIDR guide :)

mikano
10-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I still can't get the raid setup following sticky, got it working before. After erasing and formatting raidr I'm having problems. So just using the Legecy mode for now till more info comes out on and easier way to build the raid array.

HiVizMan
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
How are you setting up your initial raid are you in legacy mode? Once you set it up then you boot in uefi mode

mikano
10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
How are you setting up your initial raid are you in legacy mode? Once you set it up then you boot in uefi mode
I'm in Legacy mode, using Windows8 everything running clean! My problem is I can't remember how I set up raid. I remember using Intel Matrix Storage. Then going back to Uefi with PC off booting from cd installing Windows from start , and its not finding the partition, right now.. I'm becoming totally lost at this point!..

HiVizMan
10-21-2013, 07:52 AM
That would be correct. Once you have set up raid in legacy mode, you then switch to UEFI and just install. The RAID will not be picked up in bios due to being on PCIe and not on the sata ports.