PDA

View Full Version : Guide for Overclocking Maximum Stability & Performance for CPU & GPU.

adamsyes
10-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Before you start reading through out this Thread,

You must understand and accept the minor risk and procedure of instability that may occur in your part of the process. It will be your responsibly and I will take no account for any exceeding damage that may lead on resulting in that case of scenario. This doesn't cover nor is recommended by ASUS, although this may avoid warranty.

Updated (Nov 30, 2013): I will make a video guide when I get the chance and upload it here.

Recent topics related to the guide:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34611-Overclocking-Gtx-765M-(G750-JW)&country=&status=
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37689-help-overclocking-with-asus-gpu-TEWAK&country=&status=
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34297-4700HQ-overclocking&country=&status=

Lets begin shall we? :)
This will lead at least of a 20% performance increase hover the stock results and 10% lower CPU Temperatures. please be advise this result will be different from most of us.

I will keep it as easy and casual for those with weak English understanding & new comers.
Now don't be afraid if this is a first-time for you. Overclocking certain tech now days are fully beneficial when doing so over premium products such as G-Series Laptop. Now this guide will give you the tools (Genuine and trusted) needed to Overclock the GPU and the CPU over 9000 in power level!!! "Cough" lets not kid ourselves here now :)

Why should you Overclock?
it is same way to say why tweak a car's engine? Philosophically, Overclocking Laptops were Dangerous, unstable and can lead to burn and bricked parts, compared to desktops they had less headroom to give more horse power since laptops weren't really meant for above mediocre/hard-core gaming. But that was 4-6 Years ago. Now with the new tech, new and better pieces of gpu and cpu layers (material, programming, efficiency etc, performance) are more smarter and ideal to start overclocking, especially for gaming laptops. and definitely much much safer. GPU and CPU will stop working if things go out of control, and resets to the stock clocks generally speaking. so don't worry about going above the limits. but always be careful!

Overclocking GPU can lead to a nice 25% up to 40% performance Boost depending on the card and laptop of course. For this instance, ASUS ROG G-series are known for it's excellence in cooling design, headrooms for more numeric overclocking after some tests and of course better quality compared to other gaming laptop.
Now CPUs are also taking part of overclocking starting from Haswell's Intel latest processor (2013) speaking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GPU OVERCLOCKING

Now less talk and lets get on this!
Before YOU PROCEED, make sure you download the LATEST Nvidia Driver from Nvidia website according to your GPU model.
Firstly, Lets Overclock the Graphics Card. This can lead to better FPS performance scale in contrast when playing demanding games. More juice, more horsepower if you want it that way. but this leads to one down side, which is increase of heat output, but do not fear my friend, this is where the legendary G-series cooling thermal design kicks in.

My Recommendation for Overclocking the GPU of the G750 Series is ASUS GPU Tweak which can be downloaded here:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu%20tweak&os=30
Please stick with the Windows 7 file it will be compatible with windows 8 and 8.1 as well. because Windows 8 file one doesn't install correctly on G-series laptops.

Once downloaded, go ahead and install it and restart your computer and come back here :)
Now, depending on the GPU you currently have, please make sure that most of the settings can be completely different from each user. Because some GPU can actually over clock highter than yours, this is just luck on how lucky the GPU was built (if well build, it will lead to a higher chance to overclock, if not you will have lower chance to have high clocks)
Stock
http://i41.tinypic.com/somn90.png

For example, 765M BEST Overclocking settings are;
http://i39.tinypic.com/1zbuihl.png
Because I do know not know the stable clocks for 770m nor 780m i'll just use the 765m for now. Please post on this thread if you have an ideal stable clocks for 770m or 780m!!! i'll upload them here.

For 765M (G750-JW model)
+997Mhz Core clock (technically the maximum bar) and +5000Mhz Memory Clock, it's up to you. I have mine at 6000Mhz because my card can handle it, some cards can only handle 5000Mhz, some 6000Mhz, or some even more. so Please try with 5000 then proceed additional higher By keeping track with temperature stress (Play a demanding game such as Crysis 3 etc, if not use 3Dmark11. This increased my temperature for about 4c. which is really nothing

For 770M (G750-JX model)
same thing as the 765m. except you can only go up to 5600Mhz in memory clock according to some people.

For 780M (G750-JH model)
adding 135+ limit for core clock, and for memory, depending if you are lucky. you can try 6000 mem clock. if not turn it down to 5600Mhz. remember, 780m is a hungry card, I wouldn't recommend to go crazy on it. since it already has barely any headroom for oc.

Updated: info might change over time. so please try to scroll down see what people posted with their number clocks, they might be more accurate ! :)
Please be sure to CHECK the temperatures when you are overclocking. to be sure that you aren't getting crazy amount of temperature increase. The average temperature from benchmark or gaming should be hitting from 67c to 72c. Anything higher than 85c-90c can lead to shorten lifespan of the card and unconformable heat output for the card VRAM and thermal paste, Please be advise that if you are reaching anything Above 90-95c will lead to burnt GPU and that Motherboard as well depending on how damaging the heat output did. if you got anything lower then that. damn you are lucky :)

in fact, this is well known, for the 700 mobile series, anything above 85 can be a result of heat problems and burns. anything BELOW 75c is a result of a normal temperature. The card can handle the heat without sweat. but it is ideal to keep it in a reasonable number, which is below 70c in my opinion.

Once you've TESTED hourly, on demanding gaming or benchmark with those clocks or the clocks that fits your card instability speaking, we can now proceed to the CPU Overclocking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU OVERCLOCKING

please Be advise again that the CPU overclocking isn't ideal for gaming generally speaking. this will only give you about 5.4% performance CPU increase. on gaming domain, this is nothing really but in design, rendering compositing this is very helpful.

But the point of doing this is also because the 4700HQ comes with above recommended Voltage stability when performing at max for all cores, which leads to high temperature. How to get lower temps? well keep reading :p

firstly, download the Intel Extreme Utility software from here :
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

Once downloaded and installed, restart the computer and come back here to keep proceeding !
Okay, this is very simple. I know some of you aren't familiar with CPU, so we aren't going to touch ANYTHING ELSE beside the following:
Multiplier cores (we will overclock it from 2.4Ghz-3.4Ghz to 2.6Ghz-3.6Ghz)
Lowering the Unneeded amount of voltage to lower the temperatures of each core to a stable scale.
that's it. so just open it and you should get these stock settings
http://i43.tinypic.com/2whjujd.png

Now to overclock & to keep a much lower temperature please use theses settings
http://i39.tinypic.com/zn7sxj.png

This applies auto every time you reboot. so don't worry about starting it up. same goes for the GPU tweak, however has to be enabled under options.

This will give you around 6-10c temperature reduction AND an increase of Ghz !! :)
If you get a windows crash, that means the voltage doesn't seem to be stable on your laptop. to fix this just increase the mV (that are at -70mV) to , lets say -50mV.

Avg temperature while gaming and benchmark for the cpu was 69-71c, this for haswell is perfectly reasonable actually. before I used to have 76c which is still fine. then again, lower the better.

So Alas, this should give you a nice boost performance on the g750 by keeping a tight stability systemically speaking. And CPU temps are reduced without the loss of performance, but actually increased instead.

Now, of course if you want to go even further, you can Repaste with thermal paste, to gain more temperature reduction for even higher overclocking. but that will 100% avoid warranty and I wouldn't recommended unless the laptop warranty is about to expire of course, or you don't care much about warranty .

Anyway Cheers! please Post any feedback, results and ask for any assistance! if you have any questions please PM me any time!.

CurrySonic
10-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the great thread! This should be stickied!

Is it even possible to repaste gpu on a laptop? Even with the g750 you would have to open up the laptop somehow and get the heat sink off the processors, then somehow get it all back again.

In 1-3 years time we need a cleaning and repasting guide.

Thank you for taking the time to make such a great article!

adamsyes
10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the great thread! This should be stickied!

Is it even possible to repaste gpu on a laptop? Even with the g750 you would have to open up the laptop somehow and get the heat sink off the processors, then somehow get it all back again.

In 1-3 years time we need a cleaning and repasting guide.

Thank you for taking the time to make such a great article!

Yes, it is possible. just requires experience and patience to dissembling every part step by step. Of course, cleaning fans can be done by just using a air can gas compressor in the exhaust. although repasting surely would give a better benefit in cooling . I might do so and make a guide tutorial later on next year. and thank you! :)

Pitcher
10-02-2013, 08:57 AM
the images in the 2nd part for CPU overclocking are so tiny I cannot see the options you selected!

Cpl_Flash
10-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I tested GPU part with G750JH (GeForce 780M 4 GB). Maxed the GPU clock to 932 and set Memory to 6058. Stable and max temp during 3DMark Free test (All tests and demos) was 77 degrees Celcius. Compare this to normal results in 3DMark, my original Cloud Gate score was 17326 and with these settings it was 18308.0. So 5 % overall improvement. BUT: This was overall score, compared to pure graphics score normal 35110 and overclocked 41033, we get 16.8 % improvement! So QUITE nice! And the temperature stayed in acceptaple range with these settings!

And the most demanding test "Fire Strike" overall score is normal 4993 vs. overclocked 5775 score, which is 15 % increase, and THIS is noticeable difference of visual smoothness in the tests and demos! Graphics score differences are 5511 and 6443 which is 16 % more.

Notice how overall score and graphics score difference is greater in the "Cloud Gate" than "Fire Strike". I think this is because the more demanding test use NVIDIA PhysX features in physics calculations, when the less demanding test uses only CPU! So this way the overall improvement is in the line with graphics improvement in "Fire Strike", since of course PhysX performace depends on GPU performace.

Next I try to increase the memory clock, since GPU clock works like a charm maxed out.

Cheers and thanks for the great guide!

povetkin
10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
The maximum Cpu frequency is 3,8 Ghz with 105 FSB and 36 Multiplier.
Fully stable. But you need an unlock bios, what I already have had link.

iweber95
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
The most stable clock for my 770m is at 5600MHz

CosmicPoweR
10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Nice topic. Thanks

Thrasher350ss
10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Lmao!!!!

adamsyes
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Lmao!!!!

lol ?

fab5yo
10-09-2013, 07:24 AM
I was gaming early today crisis 3 and the GPU temp hit 76c is this to high. How can lower the temp to a nice 72c

Myroslav
10-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I was gaming early today crisis 3 and the GPU temp hit 76c is this to high. How can lower the temp to a nice 72c

I would not worry just yet, since ~80 degC is fine temperature. The lower the better, but you should worry at higher levels.
I see that you have OC'ed the laptop to some potential. If you are worried about the rise in temperature, revert the GPU Tweak to default settings. You should see the temperature drop.

But honestly, it seems that you might have other issues (when reading your responses in OCing thread). What is your ambient room temperature? How is your laptop positioned during use? Do you hold it in your lap, on the table? If on the table, what is the surface, what are the clearances from sides and the back? Try to create ideal conditions for this piece of equipment and it will serve you forever. Also, try to keep all your replies in one topic. That way it is easier to help you.

fab5yo
10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
well i have my laptop on a table and got nothing blocking the vents. I used hmscott advice and setting to overclock my computer and is as follows.

I think it a pretty good setting and really dont wont to mess with setting as for temps gos GPU no higher than 76c and CPU avg was about 60? somethingc

fab5yo
10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
So i just did firestirke 3dmark test and this what i got with my current setting above. any thought please and hmscott help me get my computer OC.

adamsyes
10-09-2013, 11:53 PM
76c on a 770m OCed is extremely fine man. you got nothing to worry. since you are reaching a 780m performance gains in terms of fps boost. a 780m non-oc hits 75c. so in your case you are fine.

Although, if the temps do bother you. I suggest to perhaps clean the vents and maybe have a cooler ambient temperature.

hmscott
10-10-2013, 05:51 AM
well i have my laptop on a table and got nothing blocking the vents. I used hmscott advice and setting to overclock my computer and is as follows.

I think it a pretty good setting and really dont wont to mess with setting as for temps gos GPU no higher than 76c and CPU avg was about 60? somethingc

NIce! You have tuned it well, and are seeing lower temps, all good. Keeping a clear path for exhaust and cool air intake helps too :)

The result for Firestrike is a good result, here is mine @ 5500mhz - 4108
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/855082

There are 2 things you can do, when you feel in the mood for tuning again, I take breaks of time in between to savor the enjoyment of the process, and to give me time to think about / absorb the change.

1) Increase (actually decrease) the CPU/cache voltage offset. You might be lucky like Flea0 and be able to run at -100mV, or somewhere between -50mV and -100mV - further lowering the voltage offset will reduce the CPU heat further.

You will want to do some 100% CPU runs for a long stretch to make sure you are stable at -100mV, lest your laptop take a powder when you least expect it. That is why I had to drop my voltage offset on this JX back to -65mV from -100mV - my JW was rock steady at -100mV.

2) Try running Firestrike with memory frequency at 5100/5200/5300/5400/5500 - I needed Freeze Mist to ensure a successful run at 5500mhz :)

Have fun!, Scott

kingkaan
10-26-2013, 06:46 AM
The maximum Cpu frequency is 3,8 Ghz with 105 FSB and 36 Multiplier.
Fully stable. But you need an unlock bios, what I already have had link.

i cant see the link..i want to unlock my bios to overclock my cpu to 3.8 ghz can you help pls.

povetkin
11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
i cant see the link..i want to unlock my bios to overclock my cpu to 3.8 ghz can you help pls.

Link is dead, sorry: (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36036-I-need-the-first-bios-(206)-for-g750jx-please-help-me.&p=297149&viewfull=1#post297149)

But I have modded vbios: Link (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ugpq1k)

Dream
11-12-2013, 09:04 PM
@povetkin

Wait a second, can you actually modify the GPU boost levels now?

MrRuckus
11-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Wow. I would love to be able to edit the settings for my GPU's fan!! I tried to run that Bios Tweaker and it seems it wont allow me to edit my Bios (I am running a modded vbios with restrictions removed). It seems it doesn't like the 780m for some reason. :/

Maxter
11-12-2013, 11:36 PM
I was distracted by OP's background pic... let me read this again...

urmamaiszai
11-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Will overclocking void the warranty? And if you send the laptop to the service center and reset the settings to default and uninstall Intel XTU and Asus gpu tweak, would there be any evidence tat u overclocked the laptop? I overclocked my g750jx(gtx 770m) to 932 mhz core and 5600 mhz for ram.the voltage is at stock but wile tweaking I did increase the voltage.

Daeva
11-17-2013, 05:36 PM
It's strange how none of you guys said how what's the maximum CPU Core Temperature you're hitting when running the Stress Test?

Before doing his settings in Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, when I was running the test for 1 minute the maximum was 87 C, after applying the settings the maximum is 89 C.

I think only 2 C difference for a faster CPU is awesome :) However, should it be this hot anyway?

(the minimum is 45 C when not stressed)

juggar
11-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I did the "Intel Benchmark" and got this..... The score does not bode well for me. LOL 29877

juggar
11-18-2013, 12:22 AM
It's strange how none of you guys said how what's the maximum CPU Core Temperature you're hitting when running the Stress Test?

Before doing his settings in Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, when I was running the test for 1 minute the maximum was 87 C, after applying the settings the maximum is 89 C.

I think only 2 C difference for a faster CPU is awesome :) However, should it be this hot anyway?

(the minimum is 45 C when not stressed)

I ran the test for 1 minute with the OC and got a maximum of 85 C so I think your good.

Krebb
11-18-2013, 05:42 AM
After some testing this night I've actually underclocked my CPU.
It's now running at 2,99 GHZ , but I've got the voltage offset set to -85,93 .
I'm running much cooler now and I've havent really noticed any performance loss in games to be honest.
The benchmark gives me a score of 633 ( I got 666 when I overclocked to OPs settings)
I'm actually pretty happy with this to be honest.
My G750JX is more silent, and I have a stable 39 degrees during idle and surfing, during gaming it peaks at 60 degrees.
The stresstest puts it up to 72 degrees.
I'm kinda happy to sacrifice 400mhz for having a cooler and more silent laptop.

The GPU I've got overclocked however.
I've got the GPU Core running at 900 mhz and the memory is running at 5200 mhz.
It idles at around 40-45, and during some gaming (WoW, Mass effect 3) its at 60-65 degrees, During heavy gaming (Crysis 3) it peaks at 72 degrees.
Overall I'm happy with these settings.

And now for a question, have anyone tinkered with the RAM timings in BIOS? Any room for tweaking there? if at all possible?

adamsyes
12-01-2013, 12:34 AM
unfortunately no Krebb, the ram cannot be tweaked via modded BIOS for some reason. and also it would just make the cpu have unstable performances

Tobbe
12-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Awesome guide. This should be Stickied for sure :)

One thing I didn't find (or missed) was How to adjust/control the fans?

kingkaan
12-01-2013, 08:46 AM
are you stable at -70mV voltage offset? im stable at -50mV i tried 70 but it kept rebooting randomly :S

Pjay12
12-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Hey guys! Im new around here.

I got my G750JX towards the end of last week and I read up heavily on it before I got it.

I downloaded XTU and asus gpu tweak because I like to be in control of my hardware.
Im still a noob though so please be patient. This is my first laptop and I love it. Apart from the slight flex in the middle of the keyboard I love this machine.

Anyway, to the real reason Im posting,
1. I benchmarked my laptop, completely stock and I scored 699 in XTU. Is this a good result?

2. I tried the settings in the op, but even though my score went up to around 730~, I noticed that the temp peaked at 91 degrees for a second or 2 of the benchmark. This really scared me.. So I reset everything to normal and tried to just undervolt(thats what its called I think?) to see if I could reduce temperature.
So what I did was I saw a user posted that he could undervolt to -100 on 2 sliders (dynamic cpu voltage offset and processor cache voltage offset) so i moved my 2 sliders down to -100.5859375 and hit apply and ran a 5 minute CPU stress test and IT PASSED! Does that mean my system was stable at that point? Does it mean Im incredibly lucky to have a well built CPU as my first? I did notice that the maximum temp the CPU would go to at this point was 76 degrees celsius.

3. Should I leave it at that point? Upto where should I undervolt? Will this affect my laptop in the long run?

Few more things to consider if/when someone answers me,
I live in a very hot country - average day is about 32 degrees celsius.
Its also a dusty country.
I plan on using this laptop for the next 6-10 years. Im not a hardcore gamer, I do play sometimes. And im very careful with my stuff.

Thanks in advance! Someone please reply!

Pjay12
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Anyone please? :)

villiansv
12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey guys! Im new around here.

I got my G750JX towards the end of last week and I read up heavily on it before I got it.

I downloaded XTU and asus gpu tweak because I like to be in control of my hardware.
Im still a noob though so please be patient. This is my first laptop and I love it. Apart from the slight flex in the middle of the keyboard I love this machine.

Anyway, to the real reason Im posting,
1. I benchmarked my laptop, completely stock and I scored 699 in XTU. Is this a good result?

2. I tried the settings in the op, but even though my score went up to around 730~, I noticed that the temp peaked at 91 degrees for a second or 2 of the benchmark. This really scared me.. So I reset everything to normal and tried to just undervolt(thats what its called I think?) to see if I could reduce temperature.
So what I did was I saw a user posted that he could undervolt to -100 on 2 sliders (dynamic cpu voltage offset and processor cache voltage offset) so i moved my 2 sliders down to -100.5859375 and hit apply and ran a 5 minute CPU stress test and IT PASSED! Does that mean my system was stable at that point? Does it mean Im incredibly lucky to have a well built CPU as my first? I did notice that the maximum temp the CPU would go to at this point was 76 degrees celsius.

3. Should I leave it at that point? Upto where should I undervolt? Will this affect my laptop in the long run?

Few more things to consider if/when someone answers me,
I live in a very hot country - average day is about 32 degrees celsius.
Its also a dusty country.
I plan on using this laptop for the next 6-10 years. Im not a hardcore gamer, I do play sometimes. And im very careful with my stuff.

Thanks in advance! Someone please reply!

1. 699 on stock is good (more than what I get).

2. 5 minutes probably doesn't qualify as a stringent "pass" runtime, but is a good indicator. A better test would be e.g. prime95 for an hour or two, but it's not that important. You can e.g. go to only -80mV, and will most likely never see issues. All told, you seem to have been lucky with a CPU that tolerates decent undervolting.

3. Undervolting has no negative effects. The only thing that could go wrong is a bluescreen crash if you undervolt too much - if that happens, just reduce the undervolting. It is beneficial, as the CPU will run cooler and thus have a longer lifespan. Living in a hot and dusty country, this is doubly important for you.

If you plan on using the laptop for such a long time, at some point you'll probably have to clean the fans properly and re-paste the CPU and GPU. Chances are this won't be needed for a couple of years at least, but eventually yes. I suggest you get HWMonitor now, and see what temps you get while browsing/gaming (take many measurements, over a week or two, so you have a good sample). Then you can repeat every six months or so, to see how your dusty environment is affecting the overall temps. The G750 has a very good cooling system, so you have a lot of headroom for higher temps, but it doesn't hurt to know what's normal and hence what is high. Note that opening the laptop to properly clean the fans and re-paste invalidates your warranty, so your best bet is to take it to an Asus centre so they can do it for you. It's far from impossible to do it on your own, however, if you choose to do so (e.g. once you're out of warranty).

Pjay12
12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Thank you very much man!

I will get HWMonitor asap and will do my reading up on that as well.

I guess Ill undervolt at around -60 just to be safe.

Thank you again!

Icedlatte
12-07-2013, 03:57 AM
- How did you guy can set the max GPU clock to 997? Mine stuck at 932 only (GTX770M)
- With the 997/5600 setting, should we leave the GPU Voltage at the default (856mV)

Thank you

Norup58
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey,
I'm the happy owner of a G750JH which I got about 2 weeks ago.
As I came from a Clevo x8100 this is a completely new world sound-wise. When I stress test in Prime95 the total noise is about the same as when my old Clevo was idling :) The wife has allowed me back in to the livingroom while gaming ;) Pure bliss.

Read the guide and the other posts with great interest. As #Villiansv suggested got hold of HWMonitor and Prime95.
Ran Prime95 for 15 min at stock settings and was somewhat disappointed with the temps: 82C with 2 cores peaking at 84C.
Decided to undervolt the CPU as much as possible to get the temps down and got them down to 73/74C with 2 cores peaking at 76C. This at -100,5. Ran Prime95 for 90 min and have gamed modded Skyrim for 2 hrs without any BSOD or anything.

As I mentioned I was disappointed with the initial temps and guess I will have to be happy that I was able to undervolt as much as I could.
But aside from that am very happy with the beast.

khmergod
12-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Bumping this thread. Anyone have tested max core clock and memory speeds for gpu for the 780m? Maybe stable at 80c or less? Same with the cpu. Any safe OC on cpu and undervolt for <80c? I don't want to bsod...

BlackHawk
12-13-2013, 02:24 AM
ny safe OC on cpu and undervolt for <80c? I don't want to bsod...
Randomly tried testing a few power settings a while back. I have a feeling my CPU chip is slightly more stable than average... hmm...

http://hwbot.org/submission/2450185_shadowphoenix_xtu_core_i7_4700hq_762_marks

khmergod
12-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Randomly tried testing a few power settings a while back. I have a feeling my CPU chip is slightly more stable than average... hmm...

http://hwbot.org/submission/2450185_shadowphoenix_xtu_core_i7_4700hq_762_marks

You were able to successfully stable clock your cpu to 3600mhz constantly? What were your voltages? Would you mind posting a screenshot of your XTU with all settings?

BlackHawk
12-13-2013, 02:42 AM
You were able to successfully stable clock your cpu to 3600mhz constantly? What were your voltages? Would you mind posting a screenshot of your XTU with all settings?
You just have to hit the "XTU Settings" button on that page and you can see it all. And you can even download the profile to try it out yourself. As i said though i think my chip has abnormal stability so it may/may not work on yours.

khmergod
12-13-2013, 02:48 AM
You just have to hit the "XTU Settings" button on that page and you can see it all. And you can even download the profile to try it out yourself. As i said though i think my chip has abnormal stability so it may/may not work on yours.

thanks for the tips

robertomorelli1986
12-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi all,
I tried a little overlock yesterday. Got a G750JX with GTX 770M.
It seems like the maximum reachable frequency is 5300 for me, if I go beyond that the system immediately freezes, forcing me to reboot.
I think it's a matter of voltage, but I have no idea on how to change that value. Did we talk about voltage in this thread?

Pjay12
12-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Careful with voltage. I read somewhere that messing with voltage can fry your gpu. Be veeerrryyyyy careful. Besides I found that you dont need to overclock the graphics card. Maybe in future you might want to but for now theres no need. Crysis 3 is considered the most graphical demanding game at the moment so if mine can run that smooth at ultra settings on stock then it can run pretty much everythig right.

tugrul
12-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi people,
My thing is i downloaded intel extreme utility. But when i try to use it i saw my processor Frequency always shows 3.29 Ghz. İ tried stress test and benchmark. Didnt try manuel setup. Then i tried at Starcraft 2 which is CPU dependent with max settings, still no change at Frequency.
As i know this CPU should go 3.4 at stress and at idle should go 2.4 Ghz;? Or i donno the mechanic of CPU utilization. Which one is it. When i mouseover Processor Ghz indicator it says max 3.39 min 2.99 but thing is at graphic never change always stay at 3.29 Ghz. İ ve ****en no idea. Then i tried to look win 8 performance monitor it says diffrent Ghz while i use stress test beside Extreme utility.
İ use G750JH model. What should i do. And at Benchmark test i took 716 point at default settings.

khmergod
12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
tugrul same thing happens to me, but it only jumps to 3.39 once in a while. my first bench with spybot, malwarebyte, and avast on was 702. I stressed cpu for 5 mins, only get 77c max but mostly ~73c. stressing memory now for 5 mins then will bench it with background apps off.

hmscott
12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Hi all,
I tried a little overlock yesterday. Got a G750JX with GTX 770M.
It seems like the maximum reachable frequency is 5300 for me, if I go beyond that the system immediately freezes, forcing me to reboot.
I think it's a matter of voltage, but I have no idea on how to change that value. Did we talk about voltage in this thread?

Although the Asus GPU Tweak utility has a slider for voltage, it doesn't seem to do anything, so I used the settings to disable displaying it. It isn't available on the GTX780m at all.

Slide the GPU setting to Max, and try different memory OC's until you get sparklies or the Nvidia driver crashes and restarts - and then back off 50-100hz for max speed tests, and drop down another 50-100hz for every day use.

The GPU downclocks when not in use so you can leave the settings on max all the time.

Note that when the Nvidia driver crashes you need to reboot Windows to do more OC testing - the Nvidia driver downclocks the settings until you restart Windows.

tugrul
12-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Hi people,
My thing is i downloaded intel extreme utility. But when i try to use it i saw my processor Frequency always shows 3.29 Ghz. İ tried stress test and benchmark. Didnt try manuel setup. Then i tried at Starcraft 2 which is CPU dependent with max settings, still no change at Frequency.
As i know this CPU should go 3.4 at stress and at idle should go 2.4 Ghz;? Or i donno the mechanic of CPU utilization. Which one is it. When i mouseover Processor Ghz indicator it says max 3.39 min 2.99 but thing is at graphic never change always stay at 3.29 Ghz. İ ve ****en no idea. Then i tried to look win 8 performance monitor it says diffrent Ghz while i use stress test beside Extreme utility.
İ use G750JH model. What should i do. And at Benchmark test i took 716 point at default settings.
well i tried OC this time but not multiplier hence it gives nothng to games except more heat. İ do decrease voltage and did -100.
i hit 90 c max with stcok settings after decrease voltage -100 it was 75-76c beside i took same point from benchmark. But still donno how is it effecting games.

tugrul
12-15-2013, 12:20 AM
tugrul same thing happens to me, but it only jumps to 3.39 once in a while. my first bench with spybot, malwarebyte, and avast on was 702. I stressed cpu for 5 mins, only get 77c max but mostly ~73c. stressing memory now for 5 mins then will bench it with background apps off.

well i tried OC this time but not multiplier hence it gives nothng to games except more heat. İ do decrease voltage and did -100.
i hit 90 c max with stcok settings after decrease voltage -100 it was 75-76c beside i took same point from benchmark. But still donno how is it effecting games.

khmergod
12-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Tugrul. Your cpu stock at 716 is beast. Most 4700hq hang ~700. Will be unleashing this beast tomorrow by ocing cpu and gpu.

Rrna Bo
01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Just to add my results. I have done exactly like you guys but, it hangs on -100 offset, so i had to get it down to -75 (full stress around 79 degrees), but my XTU mark is barely 460 :(
In benchmark it always says my freq is 3.39 while it's stated 3.59 at OC menu.

Does it have anything to do with hdd speed? or even ram?

Sorry for noob question :))

fallbot3
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I used this guide on my new ASUS ROG G750JH laptop which has a 780 card in it and this was very helpful. I too like one of the others above used 3DMark to test everything out and how much each thing changed the performance. I ran 3 different scenarios with just the GPU tweak change, it ran well but not the best. Id say the CPU on top of the GPU tweak made all the difference in the end. At the end of the 3 scenarios you get a end score. My first score was around 2500 (which is consider a low end gaming laptop ) with the Firestrike test fps around 15-23. After I made the CPU changes I ran this a second time and got a score of 5413( which is considered a much higher end gaming laptop ) with the Firestrike test fps around 25-31.

With the CPU change my laptop performed 2x better then before from the overall score standpoint, and the temperature of my laptop didn't really change, it stayed in-between 55c-71c when I was benchmarking and stressing it out, id definitely recommend doing both changes as he showed above. But make sure to tweak your CPU settings a little, I had to tweak mine about 7 times and check out other peoples setting they had and run a benchmark test each time to see what was the best build for me.

Overall, VERY good guide for people trying to get the most out of there laptops , thanks a lot for making this!! :D

( if anyone is interested in 3Dmark I found it on steam and it has a free Demo you can download )

Aram_yossarian
01-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Like fallbotI found this guide very helpful with my G750JH

Out of the box i was scoring ~5033 in firestike default testand 75 Gflops in intel burn in util. After following Adamsyes advice I'm running:

CPU up to notches on XTU and -105mv (-110mv seemed stable in burn in but was crashing when not stressed). netting me 81 Gflops mostly as the CPU doesn't drop the turbo so low as it is stressed.

GPU using Asus GPU tweak +135 core and +750 mem, i think i could go higher but at the moment I'm playing nicely :)

After all that and running 331.82 i get 5780 in firestrike not bad at all and my temps under load are unchanged for my GPU at 76C after 1/2 an hour of furmark. I forgot to test my CPU before but now runs at 83C under intel burn in 20 cycles.

Thanks again all

As an aside I'm using what i think is the latest version of GPU tweak for windows 8 without problems, looks like they have fixed the compatibility with our GPU.

Andyponken
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
KK so a fast temp reading after a stable GPU oc with Asus GPU tweak..
Core: 932Mhz (maxed)
Mem: 5200Mhz (stable)
Voltage: Untouched
Temp when playing BF4: 80degrees c

Temp might be a bit on the higher side or it's just me being paranoid...
Anyway this Machine eat games for breakfast and spits em out the coolervents =)

khmergod
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
firestrike extreme 2505 stock. cpu and gpu overclocked was able to hit 2942. Rockin.

Rrna Bo
02-05-2014, 11:42 AM

So this is what i cannot understand. Some ppl get 700 and more score with my exact onfiguration.
I have i7 4700HQ in g750, with 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd, 3g gtx770m,
Win 7 pro
With this parameters I get over 88 degrees in stress test, and only 354 marks, which is ridiculous.

Any thoughts? and please help :P

noone
02-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Temp when playing BF4: 80degrees c
Temp might be a bit on the higher side or it's just me being paranoid...

Does seem quite hot comapared to my / other results. Keep an eye on them, you wouldn't want it any higher...

noone
02-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Win 7 pro
With this parameters I get over 88 degrees in stress test, and only 354 marks, which is ridiculous.

Any thoughts? and please help :P

Strange it does not show the highest temp in the results. Machine is delivered with Win 8, having Win 7 might have something to do with it?

Can you break down the results? Have you tested the SSD on its own? Assuming thats where your OS is.

sasuke256
02-06-2014, 10:45 PM
so what scores in 3dmark 11 did ROG'ers achieved with GTX 770M OC :D ?

Mkadi
02-07-2014, 03:38 AM
i applied the settings for gpu and cpu. have not tried gpu but when i run the benchmark at the intel extreme tuning utility the temp went up to 94 degrees, max processor frequency 3.59 and 711 marks. is that normal. by the way on the pictures at the first page you also changed the processor cache ratio to X36. should we change that too, it is not circled. thanks.

Rizach
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
The easiest way for me to let you know which G750JH I'm running is to post the link to the shop, from which I bought the computer.

(http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/183107-asus_g750jh-t4070h_173_full_hd-i7-4700hq-16gb-750gb__256gb_ssd-gtx780m-win_8&atcl=search:live)

My issue is that I've followed your info to the letter, and the GPU overclocking is working like a charm. Assassin's Creed Black flag at completely max settings is beyond beautiful and works like a charm. When it comes to the CPU, it seems every time I overclock it (according to your picture) I get the bluescreen of death. As I'm as green as the hulks behind when it comes to overclocking, but still want to make sure my comp runs at max, (even when the cord is out) I came here to learn. But I do not understand why it's not working. Would really appreciate the help. Added you on skype (atleast I think it's you Adamsyes). Find me there, or here, I'll be back untill I get this working.

All the best

Rizach - a gamer in distress ;)

kreiss
03-20-2014, 11:11 PM
my temp spikes like sometimes it goes from 60 to 78 or so then jumps back down, not sure if this is a flaw or if it's alright. anyone know? XD
(this is my core temp, my gpu stays @ like 60)

Darnassus
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
XTU crashes my video driver. :c

Nevermind, did a reinstall.

I have the G750JX with the 770m 3 gigabite dedicated ram.

What's the best overclock options for me?

Did CPU and ran a stress test. Before CPU: 81 Motherboard: 83 --- After CPU: 77 Motherboard: 80

Done with 8gig ram, system total has 16

Nice little improvement on temperatures. But during the second stress, I was put into the 'background screen color' you know when you pick your color for what you want your login screen to have.. so I had to cancel the stress at 10 minutes.

I had Google Chrome open on the second one, too. ;x

senttel
03-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Hi all, just overclocked my g750jw to 997/5502 and didn't even feel any temp raise (65c was highest), after 1hr of crysis 3 on 1080p and high graphics, getting no less than 40-50 fps, before overclock it was 30-40. Really nice OC boost and will probably try going a bit more probably up to 75c. Haven't touched the voltage or CPU yet and probably won't, since constant 45 fps on crysis 3 with high graphics is more than enough for me :)

senttel
03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Hello wanted to ask. So I OC'ed my 750jw gpu to 997/5700 and CPU exactly as in the guide. And when I am running a 3dmark benchmarks my CPU will go to crazy high temps up to 88C while GPU ony raises up to 65C highest. So my question is, are these CPU and GPU temps normal? Thank you

sasuke256
03-22-2014, 05:04 PM
undervolt your CPU using intel XTU (-50mV or -25mV) and you will have max 80

senttel
03-22-2014, 09:25 PM
I've just set everything to default CPU and GPU and when doing stress test temperature gets up to 96C.. should I be scared?

hmscott
03-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I've just set everything to default CPU and GPU and when doing stress test temperature gets up to 96C.. should I be scared?

Is it a G750JW/JX? Is the CPU stress test holding at 100% CPU usage for an extended time? If yes to both, 96C is normal.

You can use a program like HWinfo to run while benchmarking / stress testing and it will notice if your CPU declares a heat emergency and turns on Heat Throttling. If it happens during normal use, going into heat throttling, then you need to RMA your laptop to get a better paste job - very very rare.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

The CPU is safe up to 100C, but as it gets close the CPU will detect the trend and turn on Heat Throttling - even on a good paste job if your ambient temperature is high you might see the CPU go into heat throttling.

At normal temperatures the G750 cooling system is great and it will keep the temperatures low enough to keep the CPU from going into heat throttling, while making sure not to run the fan too loudly too soon. It will let the temperature go high before it starts the fan up higher than quiet - into the annoying range.

If you under-volt the CPU, you can get the JW/JX 100% CPU usage temperature down quite a bit. At -125mV it is in the 80's, but not many CPU's are stable that low in voltage. Start at -25mV and go up until you crash or are unstable. Or start at the other end and start at -125mV and work your way down.

Use Intel XTU to undervolt and OC too.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

Make sure your work is saved and exited before trying to tune your CPU :)

senttel
03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Thank you for your answer. By the way while doing the stress test, I noticed that only one fan is working properly (blowing out air heavily) while other one isn't at all :(

Also I just used HWINFO while stress testing and it did turned on the thermal throttling, I guess this shouldn't be happening with a laptop that was bought just a week ago?

hmscott
03-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Thank you for your answer. By the way while doing the stress test, I noticed that only one fan is working properly (blowing out air heavily) while other one isn't at all :(

Also I just used HWINFO while stress testing and it did turned on the thermal throttling, I guess this shouldn't be happening with a laptop that was bought just a week ago?

Wow, no it shouldn't. What are you running while the thermal throttling comes on? The G750 cooling system should be able to keep it out of thermal throttling even under heavy load for long periods, I never have seen it on my JW/JX/JH even after hours of 100% load on CPU/GPU.

Looking from the front, the left side fan is for the CPU cooling system, and the right side fan is for the GPU cooling system. Most benchmarks are CPU focused, so you will only hear the left side fan. The right side fan only comes on when gaming or running CUDA / graphics benchmarks.

Do you have the laptop in an open area where the hot exhaust isn't feeding back into the intakes? If you don't, position the laptop so it vents the hot exhaust into open space, like the edge of a desk or a table that isn't abutted into a wall/corner.

You might just run normally, and see if the thermal throttling goes off - exit HWinfo and restart it to reset the reading. If thermal throttling happens during normal use you need to send it in for RMA to get the cooling system fixed - don't try to fix it yourself you will void the warranty

Ah, if you only just bought it, take it back and return it for a new one. It is rare enough to find one that does this, let alone two in a row. But, some people have had multiple faults of the same kind from the same shipment - so you might consider returning it and getting it from another vendor - not another store in the same chain, but instead a whole different shipment destination.

Please do come back and let us know what you work out.

senttel
03-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes laptop is in an open area, on my lap, however I also have cooling pad underneath (it's off). The air is being blown out to a completely open area. Thermal throttling does not turn on while idle, only when doing a stress test and for 3 of 4 cores.

hmscott
03-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Yes laptop is in an open area, on my lap, however I also have cooling pad underneath (it's off). The air is being blown out to a completely open area. Thermal throttling does not turn on while idle, only when doing a stress test and for 3 of 4 cores.

Hmmm, it is border line then. If you play a game for a while, something that kicks up the CPU as well as the GPU, does thermal throttling kick in?

It is up to you to decide if you want to return it / RMA it to get a better paste job - I have also had bad CPU's on non-laptops that weren't happy even with good cooling - but then it was 1 out of 4 cores that had a bad connection to the CPU internal heat spreader . This CPU looks like there are 3 out of 4 bad connections to the internal head spreader.

If you do RMA it, ask Asus to replace the CPU, not the cooling system, as it sounds like it might be a CPU defect rather than a cooling defect - since 1 core is getting adequate cooling.

senttel
03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
No thermal throttling doesn't kick in when I'm playing anything, it only goes on when I do the stress test. By the way, I just did a stress test again for 6 mins. And thermal throttling was turned only for one of the cores. Also wanted to ask my laptop idle cpu temp is around 50c is that fine?

hmscott
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
No thermal throttling doesn't kick in when I'm playing anything, it only goes on when I do the stress test. By the way, I just did a stress test again for 6 mins. And thermal throttling was turned only for one of the cores. Also wanted to ask my laptop idle cpu temp is around 50c is that fine?

The AIDA64 JW reading was while watching a Hulu video - hence the 3% CPU and 3% GPU, so the 51C isn't idle. And, it may have been early enough that I wasn't under-volting yet. So your 50c idle is a bit high.

What is your ambient temperature?

BTW, if you have this in your lap, as I recall you said, you are blocking the intakes on the bottom. You might try setting this on a board under the laptop with clearance for a clear air path.

senttel
03-23-2014, 10:27 PM
my ambient temp is around 18C, and I have a cooling pad under the laptop usually. CPU goes up to 85C after 1hr of BF4, is this normal?

hmscott
03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
my ambient temp is around 18C, and I have a cooling pad under the laptop usually. CPU goes up to 85C after 1hr of BF4, is this normal?

senttel, after digging deeper in my archive of jpegs I took while I had my JX, it looks like your 50C idle is a bit high, as is the 85C on BF4, but I think that is because I under-volted my JW/JX early, so I don't have captures under normal voltage.

The AIDA64 JW reading above was while watching a Hulu video - hence the 3% CPU and 3% GPU, so that 51C isn't idle. And, it may have been early enough that I wasn't under-volting yet.

Here are a few views into the JX temps, with notes.

Idle on JX, after cool down from a benchmark run in XTU:

Max 100% CPU and 100% GPU

I think your temps are a bit high, and can benefit from under-volting, since your cores are on the edge of thermal throttling at 100% CPU.

Here are the links for XTU, and some profiles to get you started - I can't regenerate a -100mV as the JH isn't stable there, so you will have to find the 2 settings at -50mV and set them to -100mV yourself. I am also including a -25mV with Max OC, same goes for that - increase the voltage decrease for more cooling effect.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU:

-50mV with everything else Defaults (no OC):

-25mV Max OC

I did dig up some temp readings in HWinfo for 0mV and -100mV so you can see the difference undervolting has on temperature.

0mV

-100mV

Note that I should have stopped HWinfo and restarted it after introducing the -100mV, as the MAX/Average temps are still set the same from the 0mV runs. If you don't have HWinfo64, the columns are Current, Min, Max, Average.

And, here are a couple of XTU settings shots, first without under-volting - but showing where to change it, and another in the profile area after selecting the -75mV undervolt profile, and about to Apply the new settings. Note the temps, both from before undervolting - just below 50C - but I run at that time with the windows open at night, and it was pretty chilly :)

Max OC, but before I undervolted

Max OC, about to undervolt from Profile in XTU

And, I found a screenshot from BF4 Beta, but no CPU temp showing

senttel
03-23-2014, 10:54 PM
That'd be great if you could post some undervolt profiles hmscott :) I am so glad that ROG has such a great community!

hmscott
03-23-2014, 11:16 PM
That'd be great if you could post some undervolt profiles hmscott :) I am so glad that ROG has such a great community!

Be sure and post your findings too senttel, it all helps :)

Refresh the page, I updated the last post with the downloads and some screen shots.

senttel
03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your help hmscott! Yesterday I noticed that apparently my JW's idle temperatures drops to around 40-45C when doing nothing at all, Haven't tried to undervolt yet, but I will once I get back home today. So after undervolt I expect to be getting up to 42C idle temp. One more question, does having undervolted and OC'ed CPU (lets assume both undervolt and OC are stable) can cause any damage in the long term to my laptop? Thanks.

By the way, I OC'ed my GPU to 997/5700 (didn't touch GPU voltage) and it seems to be running properly, no unexpeted crashes yet (it's been OC'ed for 2 days now) and GPU temp goes up to 66C highest I've seen yet. So just to be sure, is this is ok? The reason I am asking is because this GPU OC gave me a really nice boost (about 15-20%) so I want to be completely sure that it is not damaging anything.

Once again, hmscott you really helped me a lot! Best Wishes from UK

senttel
03-24-2014, 06:52 PM
So I just ran a few stress tests with your profiles, and apparently my CPU isn't able to handle overclocking very well, thermal throttling kicks in about after 1 min of stress test. However when I undervolted my CPU (no OC) temperature did not raise above 90C through 5mins of stress test. So I guess I'll just leave it with -50mW.

hmscott
03-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks for your help hmscott! Yesterday I noticed that apparently my JW's idle temperatures drops to around 40-45C when doing nothing at all, Haven't tried to undervolt yet, but I will once I get back home today. So after undervolt I expect to be getting up to 42C idle temp. One more question, does having undervolted and OC'ed CPU (lets assume both undervolt and OC are stable) can cause any damage in the long term to my laptop? Thanks.

By the way, I OC'ed my GPU to 997/5700 (didn't touch GPU voltage) and it seems to be running properly, no unexpeted crashes yet (it's been OC'ed for 2 days now) and GPU temp goes up to 66C highest I've seen yet. So just to be sure, is this is ok? The reason I am asking is because this GPU OC gave me a really nice boost (about 15-20%) so I want to be completely sure that it is not damaging anything.

Once again, hmscott you really helped me a lot! Best Wishes from UK

Good work senttel :)

No, there we aren't doing anything that will damage the CPU, because we just using the Intel tool to adjust the settings of the Intel CPU - undervolting alone is a good idea, but you should be able to OC too...

I think you might want to investigate returning or RMA'ing your machine to get a replacement CPU - although it is borderline and with undervolting you have made it less borderline, you aren't getting the full capability you should be getting. Not a bad thing, but you don't know if it will get worse over time - getting it fixed early on is best.

Yes, the boost is why we do it :)

Some games that were borderline playable get boosted into being playable :)

It looks like your GPU cooling system is working as expected.

hmscott
03-25-2014, 06:27 AM
So I just ran a few stress tests with your profiles, and apparently my CPU isn't able to handle overclocking very well, thermal throttling kicks in about after 1 min of stress test. However when I undervolted my CPU (no OC) temperature did not raise above 90C through 5mins of stress test. So I guess I'll just leave it with -50mW.

You can bump up the cooling effect by increasing the -50mV to -75mV or -70Mv, whichever is stable. You might be able to try even higher - some have been stable at up to -125mV!

Glad to hear the undervolt at -50mV stopped the thermal throttling at stock speed settings, that's awesome :)

Keep trying, it takes a little time to dial everything in, but once you do, you can enjoy the results for a long time. BTW, after running for 6 months I was able to run my JH at -25mV, whereas it used to only be stable at -20mV - a small increase, but it just shows there is more headroom available over time.

Let us know where you top out, or bottom out, on the undervolting :)

senttel
03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi hmscott, so today I tried undervolting my CPU down to -100mV and overclocking it at the same time, and results surprised me, max core temp was 90C during the stress test and thermal throttling did not kicked in. So I would like to know your opinion about this kind of undervolt and OC mix. Thanks!

My idle temps now hovers around 38-43

hmscott
03-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Hi hmscott, so today I tried undervolting my CPU down to -100mV and overclocking it at the same time, and results surprised me, max core temp was 90C during the stress test and thermal throttling did not kicked in. So I would like to know your opinion about this kind of undervolt and OC mix. Thanks!

My idle temps now hovers around 38-43

Awesome senttel! That's excellent!

So, now you just need to run a stress test like p95v279, with 8 threads for like 30 minutes or so... and see if you trip the thermal throttling.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/index.php

And, I know it's going to sound strange, but leave your laptop on with nothing running, for like 2 hours, and see if it reboots - that is a symptom of the under-volt being too much. It can also happen when browsing, and other low intensity work - where the clock goes up and then down to idle repeatedly.

The too large of an under-volt can fail at both ends of the load :)

Even if you do hit thermal throttling with p95, you could still run with the stable settings you have everyday - and not need to RMA - but, you still want to watch it to see if it gets worse over time - you have 2 years to RMA (if your warranty in your region is 2 years).

You could try -110mV too :)

Congratulations!

hmscott
03-28-2014, 08:30 AM
The Asus GPU Tweak tool has split into 2 versions, here is my posting on them:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

Rawand
06-06-2014, 11:23 PM
guys what's best setting for overclocking g750jx GTX 770m without risk ?

hmscott
06-06-2014, 11:37 PM
guys what's best setting for overclocking g750jx GTX 770m without risk ?

Rawand, the only risk is that the laptop crashes, reboots, and you try a lower setting :)

There are limits built into the GPU vbios, so you can only overclock the GPU to 932hz in the Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards. I haven't seen a G750 that won't run that stably, so you can set that slider to 932.

The memory clock setting isn't limited, except for the ability of the memory installed to run at that setting. If you set it too high, the Nvidia driver will crash, then you wait a minute for it to restart, when you have desktop control again (the mouse moves) you reboot Windows to get the Nvidia driver to run at full speed - when the Nvidia driver crashes and recovers it runs at greatly reduced speed.

Don't save the memory clock setting in the Asus GPU Tweak tool until you are sure it is stable, as it will set that saved setting at the next boot - unless you change the settings.

Check out my post from while back, when I set my JX at memory clock of 5250 from default of 4000
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&p=386570&viewfull=1#post386570

Rawand
06-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Rawand, the only risk is that the laptop crashes, reboots, and you try a lower setting :)

There are limits built into the GPU vbios, so you can only overclock the GPU to 932hz in the Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards. I haven't seen a G750 that won't run that stably, so you can set that slider to 932.

The memory clock setting isn't limited, except for the ability of the memory installed to run at that setting. If you set it too high, the Nvidia driver will crash, then you wait a minute for it to restart, when you have desktop control again (the mouse moves) you reboot Windows to get the Nvidia driver to run at full speed - when the Nvidia driver crashes and recovers it runs at greatly reduced speed.

Don't save the memory clock setting in the Asus GPU Tweak tool until you are sure it is stable, as it will set that saved setting at the next boot - unless you change the settings.

Check out my post from while back, when I set my JX at memory clock of 5250 from default of 4000
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&p=386570&viewfull=1#post386570
i set settings on
gpu clock 932
memory clock 5194

and i ddnt change cpu settings but my place is cold even in summer
and my gpu temperature always good even while playing games around 60c

do i have every time reboot my laptop when overclocked and set on default ?
or is that ok is settings always runs on overclocking or only while playing games ?

hmscott
06-07-2014, 06:01 AM
i set settings on
gpu clock 932
memory clock 5194

and i ddnt change cpu settings but my place is cold even in summer
and my gpu temperature always good even while playing games around 60c

do i have every time reboot my laptop when overclocked and set on default ?
or is that ok is settings always runs on overclocking or only while playing games ?

Rawand, you shouldn't need to worry about GPU overheating, even on max stable OC for CPU/GPU - the JX has plenty of cooling capacity.

When you Apply the change in Asus GPU Tweak tool, the change is immediate. When you Save, and set the settings to apply at boot, it will remember the last setting and apply it at boot.

The clock on the GPU will only go up when it has work to do, otherwise it will idle at lowest speed, 135mhz.

The same for XTU, if you set the multipliers to max, and reduce the voltage using Dynamic CPU Voltage offset and Cache Voltage offset, it is up to the power plan setting as to how the CPU clock performs

If you pick Balanced Power Plan, and set CPU min/max to 0%/100%, the speed of the CPU at idle will be 800mhz, and then as load requires it the CPU speed will increase to a max of 3.6ghz with 1 Core loaded, 3.5ghz with 2 Cores loaded, etc.

You can leave those settings enabled all the time, and they will only be used when you present a load to the system, idling will be cool and quiet with everything down-clocked to minimum speed.

If you set the Power Plan to High Performance, the default CPU min/max is 100%/100%, so the CPU frequency will be max all the time, even at idle, which will run hotter, but perform a bit better on benchmarks - the only time I use that setting. I run on Balanced Power Plan all the rest of the time.

Rawand
06-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Rawand, you shouldn't need to worry about GPU overheating, even on max stable OC for CPU/GPU - the JX has plenty of cooling capacity.

When you Apply the change in Asus GPU Tweak tool, the change is immediate. When you Save, and set the settings to apply at boot, it will remember the last setting and apply it at boot.

The clock on the GPU will only go up when it has work to do, otherwise it will idle at lowest speed, 135mhz.

The same for XTU, if you set the multipliers to max, and reduce the voltage using Dynamic CPU Voltage offset and Cache Voltage offset, it is up to the power plan setting as to how the CPU clock performs

If you pick Balanced Power Plan, and set CPU min/max to 0%/100%, the speed of the CPU at idle will be 800mhz, and then as load requires it the CPU speed will increase to a max of 3.6ghz with 1 Core loaded, 3.5ghz with 2 Cores loaded, etc.

You can leave those settings enabled all the time, and they will only be used when you present a load to the system, idling will be cool and quiet with everything down-clocked to minimum speed.

If you set the Power Plan to High Performance, the default CPU min/max is 100%/100%, so the CPU frequency will be max all the time, even at idle, which will run hotter, but perform a bit better on benchmarks - the only time I use that setting. I run on Balanced Power Plan all the rest of the time.

Thank you for respond
But actually i just want use gpu overclocking is that work? Because cpu editing im just little confused

hmscott
06-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Thank you for respond
But actually i just want use gpu overclocking is that work? Because cpu editing im just little confused

Yes, you can do just one or the other, but then you won't get the best performance available to you.

Intel ships the CPU with limited multipliers, just in case it gets installed in a computer without good cooling. The G750 has great cooling, so you can use Intel XTU to unlock the multi's to max real multi.

Intel XTU is easy, but, like anything new, you have to step back and look it over to get familiar. :)

You only need to go into the Core area, click the right arrow on the Core Multipliers to increase to max, click till the number stops going up, at 36x,35x,34x,34x and CPU Cache at 36x.

Then go to the right side, and click Apply to apply the changes, then Click Save to name the profile - so you can call up the changes as a saved profile - I call mine maxcpu.

Thats it :)

You can later go back and find the Dynameic CPU Voltage Offset and CPU Cache Voltage offset in the Core area - start by setting to -50mV for both, Apply and Save as a new profile name - I use "maxcpu -50mV" as the name. If you are stable, don't crash, you can try to keep dropping the voltage offset, say to -60mV next and run for a while to see if you are stable. If =50mV isn't stable, drop down to -25mV, etc.

Have fun :)

Rawand
06-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Yes, you can do just one or the other, but then you won't get the best performance available to you.

Intel ships the CPU with limited multipliers, just in case it gets installed in a computer without good cooling. The G750 has great cooling, so you can use Intel XTU to unlock the multi's to max real multi.

Intel XTU is easy, but, like anything new, you have to step back and look it over to get familiar. :)

You only need to go into the Core area, click the right arrow on the Core Multipliers to increase to max, click till the number stops going up, at 36x,35x,34x,34x and CPU Cache at 36x.

Then go to the right side, and click Apply to apply the changes, then Click Save to name the profile - so you can call up the changes as a saved profile - I call mine maxcpu.

You can later go back and find the Dynameic CPU Voltage Offset and CPU Cache Voltage offset in the Core area - start by setting to -50mV for both, Apply and Save as a new profile name - I use "maxcpu -50mV" as the name. If you are stable, don't crash, you can try to keep dropping the voltage offset, say to -60mV next and run for a while to see if you are stable. If =50mV isn't stable, drop down to -25mV, etc.

Thank you very much mate was very helpful
I will try that

Rawand
06-07-2014, 07:00 PM

i choose CPU Voltage Offset on 70mc both of them as he said on first post on the topic i did same it seems cool temp at 43 or 44 at normal working i think i dont have crash or something !

actually i played BF4 i got very good FPS but after 5-10 mins i got error from DirectX !

sasuke256
06-07-2014, 07:34 PM
it's actually related to bf4 and not to the UVolting of your cpu :D

Rawand
06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
it's actually related to bf4 and not to the UVolting of your cpu :D

well i set all settings to default i mean cpu settings and i dont get anymore error by the way with overclocking cpu and without overclocking cpu i got same FPS on BF4 ! i just overclocked GPU

hmscott
06-07-2014, 08:58 PM
well i set all settings to default i mean cpu settings and i dont get anymore error by the way with overclocking cpu and without overclocking cpu i got same FPS on BF4 ! i just overclocked GPU

Rawand, -70mV might have been too much, try from the lower side, and test for stability, then slowly increase.

My JH was initially only able to do -20mV, and after 6 months of slowly increasing it is stable at -50mV, running cooler - which is the point of undervolting.

The CPU overclocking isn't really overclocking, it is releasing the full multiplier for CPU speed. It won't show up as FPS because that is mostly dependent on Graphics performance, but it will show up in benchmarks for CPU weighted tests. It doesn't hurt to have it enabled, and adding undervolting means you are getting the extra performance for no added heat generation.

Don't give up so easily, it takes time to tune things up for max performance. But, when you are done it is done for the years you keep the laptop :)

Rawand
06-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Rawand, -70mV might have been too much, try from the lower side, and test for stability, then slowly increase.

My JH was initially only able to do -20mV, and after 6 months of slowly increasing it is stable at -50mV, running cooler - which is the point of undervolting.

The CPU overclocking isn't really overclocking, it is releasing the full multiplier for CPU speed. It won't show up as FPS because that is mostly dependent on Graphics performance, but it will show up in benchmarks for CPU weighted tests. It doesn't hurt to have it enabled, and adding undervolting means you are getting the extra performance for no added heat generation.

Don't give up so easily, it takes time to tune things up for max performance. But, when you are done it is done for the years you keep the laptop :)

youre the man :)

thank you i will try hope to not crash
but for the gpu i have issue with asus gpu tweak always crashes do you prefer MSI afterburner ? do you have any idea to using msi for gtx 770m please ?

hmscott
06-08-2014, 12:49 AM
youre the man :)

thank you i will try hope to not crash
but for the gpu i have issue with asus gpu tweak always crashes do you prefer MSI afterburner ? do you have any idea to using msi for gtx 770m please ?

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic cards is the one to use with the JW/JX/JH, the new JS/JM/JZ use the split off version called Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops (kinda confusing, right?). I created a thread here when it happened:

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

I hear that MSI Afterburner is good to use with the new Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, as it gives you additional control over what the Asus Tool gives, but for the JW/JX/JH I didn't find the need for the MSI tool.

If you are getting crashing with the Asus GPU Tweak, what kind of crashing? Nvidia driver crashing? That just means your memory frequency setting is too high, take it down 100mhz at a time till you stop crashing. The MSI tool isn't going to get a better OC stability than the Asus tool, it is all down to the luck of the draw with the GTX chip... some OC higher than others.

What is the memory frequency that you have set? The GPU clock should be able to be maxxed out.

Rawand
06-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic cards is the one to use with the JW/JX/JH, the new JS/JM/JZ use the split off version called Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops (kinda confusing, right?). I created a thread here when it happened:

I hear that MSI Afterburner is good to use with the new Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, as it gives you additional control over what the Asus Tool gives, but for the JW/JX/JH I didn't find the need for the MSI tool.

If you are getting crashing with the Asus GPU Tweak, what kind of crashing? Nvidia driver crashing? That just means your memory frequency setting is too high, take it down 100mhz at a time till you stop crashing. The MSI tool isn't going to get a better OC stability than the Asus tool, it is all down to the luck of the draw with the GTX chip... some OC higher than others.

What is the memory frequency that you have set? The GPU clock should be able to be maxxed out.

i changed some settings in memory clock from 4008 changed to 5006 it seems fine before i set on 5192 but it seems stable

and about cpu i changed to 60mv i think it works but i tested with BF4 i played about 15 -20 mins i got temp under 70c is that fine ?

for crashing i mean ome times gpu tewak dont responding for monitoring gpu and one more think now i set on overclocked gpu when i restart or after shutdown back to windows it come back to default setting

hmscott
06-08-2014, 11:26 AM
i changed some settings in memory clock from 4008 changed to 5006 it seems fine before i set on 5192 but it seems stable and about cpu i changed to 60mv i think it works but i tested with BF4 i played about 15 -20 mins i got temp under 70c is that fine ?
for crashing i mean ome times gpu tewak dont responding for monitoring gpu and one more think now i set on overclocked gpu when i restart or after shutdown back to windows it come back to default setting

Rawand, wait on setting Asus GPU OC at boot until you are sure it is stable... and don't have set on boot enabled by default, you don't want to get caught out with a boot failure that requires you to Safe Boot and then find and delete the Asus GPU Tweak tool preferences file :)

It is -60mV (minus), not +60mV (plus)... I want to make it clear that the goal is to reduce the voltage, not increase it.

If you set it to +60mV instead of -60mV you are increasing the voltage, and increasing the heat... that is the opposite of the goal. :)

The memory OC sounds good, there is probably more to gain... but whatever is stable is good to run for a while, so you can focus on other stuff.

You don't want to be doing multiple tuning operations at the same time, because then you won't be sure what caused the crash... do one tune at a time until done, then do another one, but leave stable time in between to do installs and updates.

You don't want to be doing serious disk operations, like updating drivers, or OS updates, or anything that can go really badly if it crashes due to OC instability.

Be slow and steady, it is more fun to do it well, and do it without problems, than to rush it all at once and then have to recover from a corrupt disk.

And, above all else, have fun :)

Rawand
06-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Rawand, wait on setting Asus GPU OC at boot until you are sure it is stable... and don't have set on boot enabled by default, you don't want to get caught out with a boot failure that requires you to Safe Boot and then find and delete the Asus GPU Tweak tool preferences file :)

It is -60mV (minus), not +60mV (plus)... I want to make it clear that the goal is to reduce the voltage, not increase it.

If you set it to +60mV instead of -60mV you are increasing the voltage, and increasing the heat... that is the opposite of the goal. :)

The memory OC sounds good, there is probably more to gain... but whatever is stable is good to run for a while, so you can focus on other stuff.

You don't want to be doing multiple tuning operations at the same time, because then you won't be sure what caused the crash... do one tune at a time until done, then do another one, but leave stable time in between to do installs and updates.

You don't want to be doing serious disk operations, like updating drivers, or OS updates, or anything that can go really badly if it crashes due to OC instability.

Be slow and steady, it is more fun to do it well, and do it without problems, than to rush it all at once and then have to recover from a corrupt disk.

And, above all else, have fun :)

oh thank you i really appreciate that i bothered you so much :)

just one more thing please !
about temperature while playing games such BF4 or Watch dogs i got 70C on cpu temp is that normal ? can you tell me whats normal temp while playing games for cpu & gpu please ?

sasuke256
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
70 is just perfect :D others are getting 80-85 cpu and 70's for the GPU :)

hmscott
06-08-2014, 10:38 PM
oh thank you i really appreciate that i bothered you so much :)

just one more thing please !
about temperature while playing games such BF4 or Watch dogs i got 70C on cpu temp is that normal ? can you tell me whats normal temp while playing games for cpu & gpu please ?

Rawand, what sasuke256 said :)

You can play around with optimizing to get the best performance and lowest temps, then put it all back to stock profiles to do the benchmark runs to get a good comparison on the perf/ temp differences.

The CPU temp max is 100c, and starts thermal throttling protection around 95c, so you are well under that.

The G750JW/JX/JH idle CPU temps are around 35c-40c, the G750JM/JS/JZ idle CPU temps are around 10c higher - 45c-50c - all without undervolting - lower temps as you add more negative voltage offset.

The CPU voltage offset is up to the flexibility of that particular example of the i7 4700HQ, some have been reported to do -125mV, some only -20mV.

If you are at -60mV you might be able to reduce further, I would try all the way down to -150mV, just to get an idea of what a solid fail looks like - when you reboot, open XTU, and it will tell you about the crash, and then you need to re-Apply the profile settings - but not the -150mV setting :)

Once you get a stable undervolt setting, you still need to pay attention to XTU if you crash for other reasons - if you freeze in an app / GPU and need to power off via the power button, when you come up be sure and open XTU and re-Apply the stable profile - XTU doesn't distinguish between crashes XTU settings cause or another crash. :)

Rawand
06-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Rawand, what sasuke256 said :)

You can play around with optimizing to get the best performance and lowest temps, then put it all back to stock profiles to do the benchmark runs to get a good comparison on the perf/ temp differences.

The CPU temp max is 100c, and starts thermal throttling protection around 95c, so you are well under that.

The G750JW/JX/JH idle CPU temps are around 35c-40c, the G750JM/JS/JZ idle CPU temps are around 10c higher - 45c-50c - all without undervolting - lower temps as you add more negative voltage offset.

The CPU voltage offset is up to the flexibility of that particular example of the i7 4700HQ, some have been reported to do -125mV, some only -20mV.

If you are at -60mV you might be able to reduce further, I would try all the way down to -150mV, just to get an idea of what a solid fail looks like - when you reboot, open XTU, and it will tell you about the crash, and then you need to re-Apply the profile settings - but not the -150mV setting :)

Once you get a stable undervolt setting, you still need to pay attention to XTU if you crash for other reasons - if you freeze in an app / GPU and need to power off via the power button, when you come up be sure and open XTU and re-Apply the stable profile - XTU doesn't distinguish between crashes XTU settings cause or another crash. :)

Thank you so much
Now i set xtu on -70m it seems stable without crash
And idle temp around 41 to 45

hicuty
06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi

I followed the guide and adjusted volts accordingly. As expected i get bsod then tried -50mv again bsod. Then I decided to go back original settings but im still getting bsods. I tried removing intel extreme, formatting the laptop but still getting random bsods.

computer is g750 jh

Help me please!

sasuke256
06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
what is the code or the driver doing the bsod ?

hicuty
06-26-2014, 10:04 AM
bsod message is knode exception not handled
i checked from bluescreen viewer the driver is Wdf01000.sys

hmscott
06-26-2014, 10:31 AM
bsod message is knode exception not handled
i checked from bluescreen viewer the driver is Wdf01000.sys

hicuty, are you running Windows 7 or 8?

All the first google returns show it is/was a Windows 7 problem, followup with these articles for help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wdf01000.sys

A little more digging shows Windows 8 errors too:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&q=Wdf01000.sys+windows+8&oq=Wdf01000.sys+windows+8&gs_l=serp.3..0l4j0i22i30l4.42261.44231.0.44631.10. 10.0.0.0.0.149.1122.4j6.10.0.ckp%2Ckpns%3D1000...0 ...1.1.48.serp..0.10.1109.6eJ664lbjlA

It occurs to me from some of the search results descriptions, this might be the Asus Gaming Mouse driver - it causes BSOD's like this and uninstalling it is one of the first things to try.

I recommend uninstalling Asus Splendid, Power4Gear, Live Update, and Gaming Mouse as they are problematic and provide nothing useful.

hicuty
06-26-2014, 10:35 AM
no im using windows 8.1 before i underclock there wasnt any problem after that im getting bsods:(

hmscott
06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
no im using windows 8.1 before i underclock there wasnt any problem after that im getting bsods:(

hicuty, refresh your browser page, and re-read my response, I updated it :)

hicuty
06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
k will try them

Rawand
06-27-2014, 10:46 PM
guys now i have issue with GPU Tweak
wont change anything or save any profile
if i edit anything automatically come back to default setting

hmscott
06-28-2014, 01:33 AM
guys now i have issue with GPU Tweak
wont change anything or save any profile
if i edit anything automatically come back to default setting

Rawand, is Asus GPU Tweak the same one you have been using? Or did you update it recently? The latest version gave me problems, so I backed up to 2.6.2.0.

Also, Nvidia's latest BETA 340.43 breaks Asus GPU Tweak completely, and I am currently using MSI Afterburner 3.01beta

Can't OC GPU after updating nvidia geforce drivers to 340.43 (BETA)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48452-Can-t-OC-GPU-after-updating-nvidia-geforce-drivers-to-340.43-(BETA)&p=411657&viewfull=1#post411657

Rawand
06-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Rawand, is Asus GPU Tweak the same one you have been using? Or did you update it recently? The latest version gave me problems, so I backed up to 2.6.2.0.

Also, Nvidia's latest BETA 340.43 breaks Asus GPU Tweak completely, and I am currently using MSI Afterburner 3.01

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48452-Can-t-OC-GPU-after-updating-nvidia-geforce-drivers-to-340.43-(BETA)&p=411657&viewfull=1#post411657

Thank you man youre always here to help really appreciate that :)

well i back to older version of GPU Tweak and see what now

xcaetano
06-29-2014, 08:54 PM
is here smb OCing laptops?

hmscott
06-30-2014, 05:57 AM
is here smb OCing laptops?

xcaetano, can you please use more words / restate that? I tried to parse it several times, and I don't get what you are asking :)

SonsofKairos
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Hello,

I've been following the guide for my G750JX, and have found that I am getting a bit of stutter and minor freezing in game when I OC the GPU. Setting the memory clock too 5600 caused the Nvidia crashing, and I've worked my way down from that too 5000, and also lowered the core clock down to 900 from 926. The Nvidia issue stopped as soon as I dropped it from 5600 but the stutter and minor freezing has remained. Reverting back to my original clock settings removes the issue. In some cases the freezing will cause a game crash. I've been testing on Company of Heroes 2, Rome 2, Arma 3, all on different clocks. The temp at the highest has hit 73. I am also using a Zalman ZM-NC2000 cooler, and haven't oc'd the CPU as of yet.

They are all still playable with the stuttering and such, since it is sporadic, but obviously I don't want it happening in case its damaging anything. It mainly seems to be stuttering or freezing at points where I may get a bit of slow down in some instances with the normal clock: i.e, having a mass of units come close into view with a lot of monument, lots of fireworks in COH2. Normally they run fine with a slight drop in fps, but with the OC it intensifies with stutter or complete freezing.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Hello,

I've been following the guide for my G750JX, and have found that I am getting a bit of stutter and minor freezing in game when I OC the GPU. Setting the memory clock too 5600 caused the Nvidia crashing, and I've worked my way down from that too 5000, and also lowered the core clock down to 900 from 926. The Nvidia issue stopped as soon as I dropped it from 5600 but the stutter and minor freezing has remained. Reverting back to my original clock settings removes the issue. In some cases the freezing will cause a game crash. I've been testing on Company of Heroes 2, Rome 2, Arma 3, all on different clocks. The temp at the highest has hit 73. I am also using a Zalman ZM-NC2000 cooler, and haven't oc'd the CPU as of yet.

They are all still playable with the stuttering and such, since it is sporadic, but obviously I don't want it happening in case its damaging anything. It mainly seems to be stuttering or freezing at points where I may get a bit of slow down in some instances with the normal clock: i.e, having a mass of units come close into view with a lot of monument, lots of fireworks in COH2. Normally they run fine with a slight drop in fps, but with the OC it intensifies with stutter or complete freezing.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

SonsofKairos, since you can induce the stuttering by OC'ing the GPU, and the stuttering goes away when you go back to stock settings, then that is what you need to do to get rid of the stutterng... stay at stock settings.

It is the luck of the draw as to how over-clockable a particular example of a CPU/GPU is...

You might want to do some GPU stress testing at stock settings and see if you get Nvidia driver crashes, you might have a borderline GPU - usually the GPU's that won't OC at all are marginal and if stress testing crashes the Nvidia driver it might be a good idea to RMA it or return/replace it if you are still in the return window - to get another G750 with a better example of the GPU.

Let us know what you work out :)

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 02:51 AM
SonsofKairos, since you can induce the stuttering by OC'ing the GPU, and the stuttering goes away when you go back to stock settings, then that is what you need to do to get rid of the stutterng... stay at stock settings.

It is the luck of the draw as to how over-clockable a particular example of a CPU/GPU is...

You might want to do some GPU stress testing at stock settings and see if you get Nvidia driver crashes, you might have a borderline GPU - usually the GPU's that won't OC at all are marginal and if stress testing crashes the Nvidia driver it might be a good idea to RMA it or return/replace it if you are still in the return window - to get another G750 with a better example of the GPU.

Let us know what you work out :)

Thanks for the reply hmscott,

what would be the best way/program to stress test it, and also how can I best identify key issues if they arise?? I purchased it locally and I'm moving interstate on Friday, so want to make sure I can resolve any return issues asap if I need to do so.

Thanks

hmscott
07-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the reply hmscott,

what would be the best way/program to stress test it, and also how can I best identify key issues if they arise?? I bought it locallyI'm moving interstate on Friday, so want to make sure I can resolve any return issues asap if I need to do so.

Thanks

SonsofKairos, if it is marginal, it won't take much.

Running furmark burnin test, either the 15 minute Benchmark or the endless Burnin is a good less stressy GPU stress test.

Here are the settings I use, you might try the stock settings first - that should be enough to trip up a marginal GPU:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If the Nvidia driver crashes it may put up a systray balloon stating it is restarting, or the display might freeze and the FPS will drop to a very low level in Furmark, then you would need to reboot Windows to restart the Nvidia driver to get the FPS back to normal.

Unigine Heaven or Valley are good tests to load up the GPU.

https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

https://unigine.com/products/valley/

I wouldn't spend much more time than running these tests through to see if it induces the Nvidia driver to restart.

Let us know what you find :)

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Alrighty, I ran the burn in benchmark 15 minute test. Here are the results:

It seemed to run alright through out, other than some lag which is to be expected at 20-25 frames. I was using my cooling pad which would have dropped the temp down by around 5-10c

During the test in the information it also listed the following which was not in the results:

Throttling - 661MHz
Mem 2004Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 9%
Fan 1%.

If that seems all clear in terms of the GPU Health, I will try again with the OC if that is viable.

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Alrighty, I ran the burn in benchmark 15 minute test. Here are the results:

It seemed to run alright through out, other than some lag which is to be expected at 20-25 frames. I was using my cooling pad which would have dropped the temp down by around 5-10c

During the test in the information it also listed the following which was not in the results:

Throttling - 661MHz
Mem 2004Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 9%
Fan 1%.

If that seems all clear in terms of the GPU Health, I will try again with the OC if that is viable.

Thanks,

SonsofKairos, that all looks good, FPS and 770m GPU temp is normal. And CPU core temps look nice and low too :)

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 04:01 AM
SonsofKairos, that all looks good, FPS and 770m GPU temp is normal. And CPU core temps look nice and low too :)

Great! that's good to know :). I will give the OC levels a go again and see if I can find a level the works smoothly.

With GPU Tweak, once I change the settings/switch to a pre-set, is the change made automatically, and does it maintain when the program is close? It can seem a little unclear sometimes as to what its currently set to, and sometimes the monitor doesn't display anything after chaging or in game. Just want to make sure that I'm setting it properly when I test

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 04:14 AM
Great! that's good to know :). I will give the OC levels a go again and see if I can find a level the works smoothly.
With GPU Tweak, once I change the settings/switch to a pre-set, is the change made automatically, and does it maintain when the program is close? It can seem a little unclear sometimes as to what its currently set to, and sometimes the monitor doesn't display anything after chaging or in game. Just want to make sure that I'm setting it properly when I test
Thanks,

SonsofKairos, as soon as you Apply the change, and the Nvidia driver is still in a good state - hasn't crashed - the change is immediate - but may not show until the GPU is under load - it downclocks and doesn't hit the OC till the next time the GPU is needed.

IDK why your OC settings are causing stuttering, and you don't see any stuttering under stock settings. Usually the stuttering is due to IO lag, caused by HD Disk and network latency, or Nvidia driver / app problems, and happens on stock and GPU OC settings.

You should be able to do a max GPU Core Clock OC without worry - a high memory OC is the one that causes instability. You might try that next, set Max GPU Core clock OC and leave the memory clock stock.

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Well I did some more in game tests, and it appears to be the GPU core clock, not the memory clock causing the issue, and it only seems to be affecting Rome II and Company of Heroes 2 (mainly stutter here not as prevalent). I tested in Rome II, using the Carthage Historical battle as that is probably as full as it gets. Using default and upping the memory clock to 5300 was completely fine, no issues other than fps drops ive always had. When I upped the core clock (932Mhz) constant slowdown and lag. I took some recordings using shadow play which I can upload if desired.

I did the same with Arma 3, Sniper Elite 2, Farcry 3, Men of War assault Squad 2 and it all went smoothly, rather odd. I didn't have these installed earlier otherwise I would have tested them initially, probably would have saved some trouble :P. Its odd though that its only affecting the above 2. I many need to re test with Company of Heroes 2 as that was the first one I was trying out with the OC from 5600, but I will also do another Furmark test to see if there is any significant difference that could be the issue. I may also try doing the CPU OC to see if that helps

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Well I did some more in game tests, and it appears to be the GPU core clock, not the memory clock causing the issue, and it only seems to be affecting Rome II and Company of Heroes 2 (mainly stutter here not as prevalent). I tested in Rome II, using the Carthage Historical battle as that is probably as full as it gets. Using default and upping the memory clock to 5300 was completely fine, no issues other than fps drops ive always had. When I upped the core clock (932Mhz) constant slowdown and lag. I took some recordings using shadow play which I can upload if desired.

I did the same with Arma 3, Sniper Elite 2, Farcry 3, Men of War assault Squad 2 and it all went smoothly, rather odd. I didn't have these installed earlier otherwise I would have tested them initially, probably would have saved some trouble :P. Its odd though that its only affecting the above 2. I many need to re test with Company of Heroes 2 as that was the first one I was trying out with the OC from 5600, but I will also do another Furmark test to see if there is any significant difference that could be the issue. I may also try doing the CPU OC to see if that helps
Thanks,

SonsofKairos, what is the media you are using for the OS / games ? HD on both, or SSD, mix?

It is possible that the Core GPU OC is pushing the requirement for IO high enough to cause the latency of the media to show up, but lower clock isn't as demanding.

It is interesting :)

If you can put the OS and games both on SSD it helps a lot.

You could try installing quiethdd to remove the HD lag, to see if that is a component of the stutter.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Use these settings in the quiethdd.ini file:

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

Please test and see if quiethdd gets rid of the stutter - it is unusual for stutter to show up only from GPU OC.

Since it is only Rome II and Company of Heros 2, maybe it is a performance related setting common within these game(s)?

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 06:59 AM
SonsofKairos, what is the media you are using for the OS / games ? HD on both, or SSD, mix?

It is possible that the Core GPU OC is pushing the requirement for IO high enough to cause the latency of the media to show up, but lower clock isn't as demanding.

It is interesting :)

If you can put the OS and games both on SSD it helps a lot.

You could try installing quiethdd to remove the HD lag, to see if that is a component of the stutter.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Use these settings in the quiethdd.ini file:

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

Please test and see if quiethdd gets rid of the stutter - it is unusual for stutter to show up only from GPU OC.

Since it is only Rome II and Company of Heros 2, maybe it is a performance related setting common within these game(s)?

I currently have everything on the HD due to space, but I will try quitehd and see how that goes, then migrating some them over and see what happens.

I did another furmark test using the OC settings with the following results:

Throttling - 701MHz
Mem 2653Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 11%
Fan 1%.

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 07:26 AM
I currently have everything on the HD due to space, but I will try quitehd and see how that goes, then migrating some them over and see what happens.
I did another furmark test using the OC settings with the following results:
Throttling - 701MHz
Mem 2653Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 11%
Fan 1%.
Thanks,

SonsofKairos, that looks great too :)

If you can reinstall the affected game(s) on the SSD, and test from there, that would be a good data point - installing/enabling quiethdd to test the HD install is good too.

You can get a little more performance with Intel XTU to set the CPU/CPU_cache multi's to max. Reducing voltage offset a bit, starting at -25mV will give the CPU some heat relief too.

SonsofKairos
07-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Alright so I moved Both Rome II and COH2 to the SSD, and installed quiteHDD, then tried them with the OC. With Rome II the issue is still there, but was slightly delayed before it appeared; however, COH2 worked flawlessly after moving it.

I have yet to OC the cpu as I wanted to eliminate one thing at a time, but will do so to see if that helps with Rome II at all. I currently have the Memory clock at 5300, and I may bump it up now that I've worked out part of the problem, but would there be anything to gain from raising it by 100-200hz?

Thanks,

hmscott
07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Alright so I moved Both Rome II and COH2 to the SSD, and installed quiteHDD, then tried them with the OC. With Rome II the issue is still there, but was slightly delayed before it appeared; however, COH2 worked flawlessly after moving it.
I have yet to OC the cpu as I wanted to eliminate one thing at a time, but will do so to see if that helps with Rome II at all. I currently have the Memory clock at 5300, and I may bump it up now that I've worked out part of the problem, but would there be anything to gain from raising it by 100-200hz?
Thanks,

SonsofKairos, that's great, at least one app problem got solved :)

quiethdd needs to be run and applied each time you reboot, to have effect. Strangely I noticed improvement on the SSD run stuff too...

Wonder what the ROME II problem is...

It doesn't hurt to find and set the highest OC for the memory clock that is stable. Whether it is worth the time spent finding that frequency is up to you :)

The first time I did it, I stopped almost 1000mhz short... am I happy I went back and tried to find the max?, yes! :)

Rawand
07-01-2014, 11:15 AM

Also, Nvidia's latest BETA 340.43 breaks Asus GPU Tweak completely, and I am currently using MSI Afterburner 3.01beta

sorry for bother you again

do you have any idea for best settings on MSI Afterburner for G750JX i mean for GTX 770M please?

hmscott
07-01-2014, 11:30 AM
sorry for bother you again

do you have any idea for best settings on MSI Afterburner for G750JX i mean for GTX 770M please?

Rawand, the GPU Core clock should do the full +135.

The memory OC is based on what you got for a stable setting in Asus GPU Tweak - you need to replicate the same setting in MSI Afterburner - I haven't seen it run on a 770m, but on my 780m I needed to bump things up further than expected per my own max setting of 6275mhz in Asus GPU Tweak, go back and look at the screen shot in the thread

You will have to experiment and find out what works for you.

dne0gen
07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
When I install GPU Tweak on my G750 JZ I don't see the video card model name on the top right as everyone else does. How come?

hmscott
07-01-2014, 09:52 PM
When I install GPU Tweak on my G750 JZ I don't see the video card model name on the top right as everyone else does. How come?

dne0gen, your G750JZ should have come with Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops installed, and that version will display Intel/Nvidia info.

The Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards for non-Optimus laptops only knows about the Nvidia GTX card, and likely won't display correctly on an Optimus laptop.

Here is a thread discussing the two versions:

dne0gen
07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
dne0gen, your G750JZ should have come with Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops installed, and that version will display Intel/Nvidia info.

The Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards for non-Optimus laptops only knows about the Nvidia GTX card, and likely won't display correctly on an Optimus laptop.

Here is a thread discussing the two versions:

I bought my laptop from a local vendor and it didn't have windows installed. I have manually downloaded GPU Tweak but I don't see my graphics card name in it.
Maybe you have already answered my question. but I didn't understand. What should I do to be able to see my card in the GPU Tweak?

EDIT: I was stupid enough to not read the full post that you gave me but after looking at it again I saw the answer is there and I downloaded the correct one. Thank you for the info.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 01:02 AM
EDIT: I was stupid enough to not read the full post that you gave me but after looking at it again I saw the answer is there and I downloaded the correct one. Thank you for the info.

dne0gen, no problem, glad it worked out for you :)

SonsofKairos
07-02-2014, 02:04 AM
Hello again,

I tried out the CPU OC and ran into a few issues. it increased the stutter and FPS drop in ROME 2, so I guess its more to do with the engine rather. Most other things ran fine, though I did have a few odd freezings. I had to lower the offset values as 75 caused blue flicker, but changing it to 25 fixed that.

In the end I have decided to just revet it all back to stock settings. Still having an odd freeze or stutter in a few things, so id rather leave it at stock and have peace of mind that possible cause damage. I ran another Furmark test after resetting it all just to make sure it was all niche.

Some of the results were slightly different from last time, so hopefully everything still looks in order:

Throttling - 661MHz
Mem 2004Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 8%
Fan 1%.

most were close or the same, but the GPU core clock and min fps were lower. I dont know if its meant to change slightly each time or if general values should remain the same.

Thanks

hmscott
07-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Hello again,
I tried out the CPU OC and ran into a few issues. it increased the stutter and FPS drop in ROME 2, so I guess its more to do with the engine rather. Most other things ran fine, though I did have a few odd freezings. I had to lower the offset values as 75 caused blue flicker, but changing it to 25 fixed that.
In the end I have decided to just revet it all back to stock settings. Still having an odd freeze or stutter in a few things, so id rather leave it at stock and have peace of mind that possible cause damage. I ran another Furmark test after resetting it all just to make sure it was all niche.
Some of the results were slightly different from last time, so hopefully everything still looks in order:
Throttling - 661MHz
Mem 2004Mhz,
GPU load 99%
Mem 8%
Fan 1%.
most were close or the same, but the GPU core clock and min fps were lower. I dont know if its meant to change slightly each time or if general values should remain the same.
Thanks

SonsofKairos, your temps are low enough, and the "OC" is soft enough, you aren't going to damage anything - crashing might corrupt open files, so don't be doing software updates, installing software, defragging, etc while tuning an OC.

Run time results vary from run to run, your variance isn't large, so it is fine.

If you were seeing oddness at -75mV, then I would drop it down to -50mV, and see if you are stable there. Then you can likely go -5mV at a time, all the way to -70mV for a stable offset - my JX was stable when new at -70mV.

So, there is nothing wrong with your laptop, your HD installed games can get lag - cured with quiethdd, and so the stuttering is likely an anomaly with the Rome II.

Now that you know this, you can google for it specifically and see if anyone else has that problem:

It looks like there are lots of people with this problem :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=rome+II+stuttering&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Nice testing, and results SonsofKairos. You went through lots of new stuff, and now if you take the time to sit back and think about it, I am sure you can successfully apply "OC" / tuning and get some performance improvements and lower temps out of your laptop long term.

Have fun! :)

SonsofKairos
07-02-2014, 03:27 AM
SonsofKairos, your temps are low enough, and the "OC" is soft enough, you aren't going to damage anything - crashing might corrupt open files, so don't be doing software updates, installing software, defragging, etc while tuning an OC.

Run time results vary from run to run, your variance isn't large, so it is fine.

If you were seeing oddness at -75mV, then I would drop it down to -50mV, and see if you are stable there. Then you can likely go -5mV at a time, all the way to -70mV for a stable offset - my JX was stable when new at -70mV.

So, there is nothing wrong with your laptop, your HD installed games can get lag - cured with quiethdd, and so the stuttering is likely an anomaly with the Rome II.

Now that you know this, you can google for it specifically and see if anyone else has that problem:

It looks like there are lots of people with this problem :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=rome+II+stuttering&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Nice testing, and results SonsofKairos. You went through lots of new stuff, and now if you take the time to sit back and think about it, I am sure you can successfully apply "OC" / tuning and get some performance improvements and lower temps out of your laptop long term.

Awesome! I guess I get really OCD and paranoid when doing anything like this, and I get tend to see every little stutter or fps drop and think things are burning out, and a crash equalling a dead card :P. My knowledge of electronics and Computer hardware is limited also, so I don't now if I'm pushing them beyond their limits. Especially since I got this laptop back in mid February and want to make sure I can take care of it and get it to last at least a few years; Its good to know that I shouldn't be having any serious issues at this level of OC and Temps.

I will give the OC'ing a go again once I've moved and settled in, when I have time to effectively trial and test at different levels. I will let you know how it goes, and if I can find that 'niche' spot where it all works smoothly.

Thanks for all your help hmscott, I really appreciate it :)

Thanks again.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Awesome! I guess I get really OCD and paranoid when doing anything like this, and I get tend to see every little stutter or fps drop and think things are burning out, and a crash equalling a dead card :P. My knowledge of electronics and Computer hardware is limited also, so I don't now if I'm pushing them beyond their limits. Especially since I got this laptop back in mid February and want to make sure I can take care of it and get it to last at least a few years; Its good to know that I shouldn't be having any serious issues at this level of OC and Temps.

I will give the OC'ing a go again once I've moved and settled in, when I have time to effectively trial and test at different levels. I will let you know how it goes, and if I can find that 'niche' spot where it all works smoothly.

Thanks for all your help hmscott, I really appreciate it :)

Thanks again.

SonsofKairos, this fix in the preferences file to set VRAM, looks promising:
http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/1lqn5z/potential_framerate_fix_for_rome_ii/

And, this:
I don't know if this is a work around but i read on the official forums that by going into Nvidia control panel and setting Maximum pre-rendered frame rates to 4 that it can fix it for some people. i've tried it and so far so good. fingers crossed.

SonsofKairos
07-06-2014, 08:25 AM
SonsofKairos, this fix in the preferences file to set VRAM, looks promising:
http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/1lqn5z/potential_framerate_fix_for_rome_ii/

And, this:
I don't know if this is a work around but i read on the official forums that by going into Nvidia control panel and setting Maximum pre-rendered frame rates to 4 that it can fix it for some people. i've tried it and so far so good. fingers crossed.

Tried using those suggestions and still having the same issue. Tends to cause a complete computer freeze sometimes. What graphical settings are you using in Rome 2?

Thanks

hmscott
07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Tried using those suggestions and still having the same issue. Tends to cause a complete computer freeze sometimes. What graphical settings are you using in Rome 2?
Thanks

SonsofKairos, I have been waiting for the bugs to get patched before getting it, there are been too many problems.

I don't see any other fixes worth trying, let us know if you find some.

Kardy
08-17-2014, 06:19 PM
can i ask ? its about voltages when i want OC my cpu ... im using XTU but i dont get that about voltages ... smaller number mean higher voltage passed to core ? so when i want find out how much need my cpu to stable work i have to go with voltages to higher number ? or im wrong ?

hmscott
08-18-2014, 03:03 AM
can i ask ? its about voltages when i want OC my cpu ... im using XTU but i dont get that about voltages ... smaller number mean higher voltage passed to core ? so when i want find out how much need my cpu to stable work i have to go with voltages to higher number ? or im wrong ?

Kardy, for the 4700HQ processor, you don't need to increase voltage to increase the multiplier, the CPU is designed to work at the increased multiplier at stock voltages + dynamic offset.

The negative offset is used to *reduce* the CPU voltage to reduce heat output. You tune the negative voltage as low as you can - as long as the CPU remains stable - you can usually start at -25mV, and increase -5mV at a time until the CPU becomes unstable - crashes with a BSOD - make sure you aren't doing important work while tuning the CPU dynamic voltage offset :)

Your CPU will be stable at increased multipliers set with XTU without changing voltages. You can leave it as is and not reduce the CPU voltage.

If you do reduce the voltage you will reduce the heat load on the CPU over it's lifetime - will that increase the life span of the CPU? - IDK, but it will also reduce the power drain on the battery while on battery, and it may reduce the fan noise at or near idle - the fan won't kick on as often.

FYI, my JW would run with -125mV offset, JX -75mV, JH started at -25mV - no more - but now runs fine at -50mV - I reduced the voltage slowly over time - from 11/13 till now.

Let us know how it works out for you :)

Kardy
08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Kardy, for the 4700HQ processor, you don't need to increase voltage to increase the multiplier, the CPU is designed to work at the increased multiplier at stock voltages + dynamic offset.

The negative offset is used to *reduce* the CPU voltage to reduce heat output. You tune the negative voltage as low as you can - as long as the CPU remains stable - you can usually start at -25mV, and increase -5mV at a time until the CPU becomes unstable - crashes with a BSOD - make sure you aren't doing important work while tuning the CPU dynamic voltage offset :)

Your CPU will be stable at increased multipliers set with XTU without changing voltages. You can leave it as is and not reduce the CPU voltage.

If you do reduce the voltage you will reduce the heat load on the CPU over it's lifetime - will that increase the life span of the CPU? - IDK, but it will also reduce the power drain on the battery while on battery, and it may reduce the fan noise at or near idle - the fan won't kick on as often.

FYI, my JW would run with -125mV offset, JX -75mV, JH started at -25mV - no more - but now runs fine at -50mV - I reduced the voltage slowly over time - from 11/13 till now.

Let us know how it works out for you :)

i was wrong about voltages, ofcourse i mean setting up an voltage offset.
i set it to -50mV for first time ... stable
i set it to -60mV for second try and its .... stable
i set it to -75mV for third try and its passed thru RealBench bench ... BUT ... after playing skyrim for cca. 20-30 min. my GPU stop working for while and goes to underclock (i have it stable at 925Mhz for core and 5330Mhz for MEM) to 200mhz core and 220mhz mem ... maybe pwr supply is not enough ?

(at -70mV works fine for longer while but after cca.45min its do same as -75mV.....)

hmscott
08-18-2014, 07:46 PM
i was wrong about voltages, ofcourse i mean setting up an voltage offset.
i set it to -50mV for first time ... stable
i set it to -60mV for second try and its .... stable
i set it to -75mV for third try and its passed thru RealBench bench ... BUT ... after playing skyrim for cca. 20-30 min. my GPU stop working for while and goes to underclock (i have it stable at 925Mhz for core and 5330Mhz for MEM) to 200mhz core and 220mhz mem ... maybe pwr supply is not enough ?

(at -70mV works fine for longer while but after cca.45min its do same as -75mV.....)

Kardy, not sure if Skyrim GPU clocking weirdness is connected to the XTU CPU undervolt.

I would try the same gaming time on Skyrim at 0 voltage offset change - go back to default voltage offset for a while - a couple of days of Skyrim playing - and see if the GPU clocking problem happens without any change via XTU to CPU voltage offset.

Usually an undervolt too far gives you a BSOD - that is the instability I am talking about.

The power to the CPU and GPU are independent when it comes to undervolting the CPU it shouldn't cause the GPU to fail to up clock. But, it is possible at the edges of the CPU stability that code completion can fail and cause unpredictable results - but your result is predictable / repeatable ... weird.

When you say -60mV stable, do you mean you can do the Skyrim run's without that GPU clocking problem?

You could also then try -65mV - the cut-off for failure is that close. Leave it at -65mV if it is stable, and then try -70mV after a few months of running, and if that is stable, try -75mV after a few more months - and a few more months after that if it wasn't stable, etc.

BTW, even your test isn't assuring you the setting is really stable... you have to run for a few days, and usually the last unstable point is found while letting the G750 sit running at idle. Everything will stress test fine, but at idle it will fail. You will come back to the laptop after sitting unused for a while, and it will have rebooted on it's own.

Kardy
08-18-2014, 08:51 PM
now i set it to -65mV and it seems stable... im going testing for longer time ... if i wont forgot i will post here my results...

Thank you, you really help me ;)

Qlix0804
09-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Has anyone had any issues with XTU not installing? It hangs up at 99% and just sits there forever never moves forward. Just in case, is there anything else out there that will do the same thing on a G750 (long time overclocker/modder, so Ill take all options).

hmscott
09-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Has anyone had any issues with XTU not installing? It hangs up at 99% and just sits there forever never moves forward. Just in case, is there anything else out there that will do the same thing on a G750 (long time overclocker/modder, so Ill take all options).

Qlix0804, it has been mentioned before, something was conflicting with XTU... do you have any other monitoring software installed, like AIDA64?

I tried a search on the forum, but nothing came up...

Which version of XTU are you trying to install? I am running 5.1.0.23...

Turn off anti-virus, and other file trap/filters for a start...

Intel XTU Support Forum
http://forum.hwbot.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Qlix0804
09-09-2014, 01:20 AM
yeah i did a quick search earlier. I dont have anything else installed. I tried the most recent and the one prior.

to clarify: I dont even run antivirus other than windows defender.

hmscott
09-09-2014, 01:39 AM
yeah i did a quick search earlier. I dont have anything else installed. I tried the most recent and the one prior.

to clarify: I dont even run antivirus other than windows defender.

Qlix0804, I searched some more, but the particular post didn't show up. I recall they had an Aha moment and were able to install. Perhaps it is a UAC dialog that isn't showing? Maybe run the installer as root? Maybe login as Administrator and install from that account?

Qlix0804
09-09-2014, 03:50 AM
pft. I feel stupid Was something as simple as right click run as admin. huehuehuehue

hmscott
09-09-2014, 08:00 AM
pft. I feel stupid Was something as simple as right click run as admin. huehuehuehue

Qlix0804, it happens to all of us. :)

That UAC dialog sometimes comes up under the installer dialog, and is blocked from blinking/alerting it's presence.

FalconFX
09-16-2014, 09:31 AM
hmscott, as i already mentioned if you remeber that im not much of a gamer, but a video ediing guy, and for render i need every bit of horse power i can get, so i checked the thread about overclocking CPU & GPU, im planing to OC the CPU, and wanted to ask if there is any risk at all, i will follow the guide to the letter (pretty simple really), and not alter anything else, is there a chance that ill brick the laptop by doing so ?

thank you

hmscott
09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
hmscott, as i already mentioned if you remeber that im not much of a gamer, but a video ediing guy, and for render i need every bit of horse power i can get, so i checked the thread about overclocking CPU & GPU, im planing to OC the CPU, and wanted to ask if there is any risk at all, i will follow the guide to the letter (pretty simple really), and not alter anything else, is there a chance that ill brick the laptop by doing so ?
thank you

FalconFX, your software needs to offload rendering to a GPU, not the Intel GPU, but the Nvidia GPU. Google your software name(s) and Optimus for proper setting to use Nvidia GPU for calculations, and look for solutions to getting it to offload calculations to Nvidia / CUDA via plugins or external modules if the main program won't support it.

Given that isn't possible read these threads basically about the same subject, and the tuning that gives best performance - non-throttled due to heat by using XTU to set multipliers intelligently to avoid over heating while getting the best performance.

Answered for someone else in this post, with list of links to read in order listed, reverse chronological order.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51496-Asus-g750jm-running-hot.&p=435530&viewfull=1#post435530

FalconFX
09-16-2014, 11:25 AM
FalconFX, your software needs to offload rendering to a GPU, not the Intel GPU, but the Nvidia GPU. Google your software name(s) and Optimus for proper setting to use Nvidia GPU for calculations, and look for solutions to getting it to offload calculations to Nvidia / CUDA via plugins or external modules if the main program won't support it.

Given that isn't possible read these threads basically about the same subject, and the tuning that gives best performance - non-throttled due to heat by using XTU to set multipliers intelligently to avoid over heating while getting the best performance.

Answered for someone else in this post, with list of links to read in order listed, reverse chronological order.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51496-Asus-g750jm-running-hot.&p=435530&viewfull=1#post435530

hmscott, I use Adobe after effects, and it support gpu acceleration in preview only, but when rendering final result, its CPU exclusive operation, GPU doesnt help at all, so i just wanted to ask if i set the parameters that are in OP will i be safe :) ? (3.6ghz and -70mv)

hmscott
09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
hmscott, I use Adobe after effects, and it support gpu acceleration in preview only, but when rendering final result, its CPU exclusive operation, GPU doesnt help at all, so i just wanted to ask if i set the parameters that are in OP will i be safe :) ? (3.6ghz and -70mv)

FalconFX, I can't guarantee anything, but it hasn't been a problem for every single person that has reported trying it here.

The multi's unlocked with XTU are really the values that the CPU could have shipped with by default, if Intel could count on all the destination sockets having adequate cooling for their CPU. The G750 has more than adequate cooling, so unlocking those multi's to get full performance is within original design spec, and within the Asus cooling system design spec.

It isn't Overclocking in the normal sense - you aren't setting values outside spec, you are setting values within spec if the cooling system is adequate to the task, the the G750's have the best cooling available.

It is still up to you, but so far noone has had problems using Intel's own Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU to unlock the multi's on the G750 CPU's.

As you are tuning the undervolting value's you may experience BSOD's, so don't do critical work while finding the lowest value that is stable. Set up a default profile with normal settings, and switch to that profile if during the course of finding the ideal undervolting value you need to get real work done.

The range of reported success is from -20mV to -125mV, it is all up to the luck of the draw as to the specific CPU sample you have.

I started at -100mV on my JW, ran stable for days, and jumped up to -120mV and was still stable. Jumped to -150mV and got an immediate BSOD.

You'll get the hang of it, start high, or low, whatever makes you comfortable. If you aren't seeing BSOD's you aren't trying hard enough ;)

If preview works offloading to the Nvidia GPU, then there is likely a $$$ plugin that does it for the final render - it is ta rigger point to extract more $$$ from the user, someone has exploited it. Keep looking.

Let us know how it works out.

FalconFX
09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
hmscott, Im willing to do it, but what program have you stressed with and what temps are you getting at full load ?? (if you ever OCed to 3.6ghz)

hmscott
09-16-2014, 12:06 PM
hmscott, Im willing to do it, but what program have you stressed with and what temps are you getting at full load ?? (if you ever OCed to 3.6ghz)

FalconFX, you can start with the link I already gave you to the threads worked on with dblkk on this subject.

Here is a post by me with images of XTU Stress test runs at full multi and undervolting on the JH and JX
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46377-New-Asus-g750-with-860m&p=394272&viewfull=1#post394272

FalconFX
09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
hmscott, sorry for bothering you, i overclocked to 3.6ghz and -50mv, and seems good so far, did a stress test with XTU and the highest temp was 90c at a single core, others were at 82-86c, i guess its pretty good and stable, thank you for the help :D

hmscott
09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
hmscott, sorry for bothering you, i overclocked to 3.6ghz and -50mv, and seems good so far, did a stress test with XTU and the highest temp was 90c at a single core, others were at 82-86c, i guess its pretty good and stable, thank you for the help :D

FalconFX, glad it worked out!

For fun you can keep reading the posts, new and old, you never know what useful stuff is hiding here in plain sight :)

FalconFX
09-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Well a small update here, after i felt the need to undervolt my CPU even more, i found out that i Overvolted it by 70mV :D, it scared the sh#t out of me, and it explains why my cpu hited the 90c when i stress tested it, now that i rectified the mistake and made sure that its actually undervolted by -70mv, i ran the stress test and average of 78-79c, much better now :D, and here is the cinebench r15 score before and after :

http://i.imgur.com/eZ2xqZV.png

And i made a render of a file that is 1:10 long in after effects, it took Before OC 1:56 mins, but after the OC it gone down to 1:36 mins :D

Pretty happy indeed :D

hmscott
09-17-2014, 05:55 AM
Well a small update here, after i felt the need to undervolt my CPU even more, i found out that i Overvolted it by 70mV :D, it scared the sh#t out of me, and it explains why my cpu hited the 90c when i stress tested it, now that i rectified the mistake and made sure that its actually undervolted by -70mv, i ran the stress test and average of 78-79c, much better now :D, and here is the cinebench r15 score before and after :

http://i.imgur.com/eZ2xqZV.png

And i made a render of a file that is 1:10 long in after effects, it took Before OC 1:56 mins, but after the OC it gone down to 1:36 mins :D

Pretty happy indeed :D

FalconFX, the XTU CPU speed bump really does make a difference for long running jobs. You knocked off 20 secs on a just under 2 minute original run, that's worth it, especially if you are doing those long renders all the time.

Not to worry, worst case is an immediate BSOD when applying a bad new value - you won't hurt the CPU. Those temps are very good for the JS. You might try bumping the undervolt -5mV at a time, until you get a BSOD, then back off -5mV to see if it is stable. Tuning -1mV increments and having a 2-3mV range from unstable to stable is typical.

Remember, your last BSOD will occur when at idle. When that happens back off another -5mV. A stable stress/loaded run is good, but you need to be stable at idle too.

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 12:02 PM
I feel comfortable with temps and the current values, maybe ill change em later, what values are you running at ? (I have a JH btw :) )

hmscott
09-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I feel comfortable with temps and the current values, maybe ill change em later, what values are you running at ? (I have a JH btw :) )

FalconFX, good idea, when you have a happy stable config save the profile and cruise with it for a while. I went for 3 months at -20mvV then started a regular weekly increase and am running -50mV stable today on my JH.

Here are my XTU and Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics cards stable settings:

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 12:36 PM
You alway run @3.6ghz ??, i use the balanced mode with a min of 1.3ghz and a max of 2.1ghz, so i keep it cool when im just surfing, or watching videos, rught now writng this, im @1.3ghz/39-40c, i recommend you do the same and dont keep the processor constant @3.4ghz when you are doing something light :)

hmscott
09-17-2014, 01:06 PM
You alway run @3.6ghz ??, i use the balanced mode with a min of 1.3ghz and a max of 2.1ghz, so i keep it cool when im just surfing, or watching videos, rught now writng this, im @1.3ghz/39-40c, i recommend you do the same and dont keep the processor constant @3.4ghz when you are doing something light :)

FalconFX, you don't need to be concerned, you could run at 100% 24/7 for years, and the JH will stay cool and without failure from heat.

Most of the time I also run in Balanced mode, CPU min/max 0%/100%, so I idle at 800mhz, and most of the time when browsing and watching a video, the CPU stays between .9ghz and 2.1ghz. I only see MAX multi's under heavy load.

Some gaming, rendering, and all published benchmarking I run in High Performance mode, CPU min/max 100%/100%, but only for the duration of the runs, then I switch back. I have the screen brightness set at 60% on Balanced mode and 100% on High Performance so I know what mode I am in - I used to forget and leave it in the wrong mode, now I know instantly which mode I am in.

For GPU / memory speed, the GTX780m reduces the speed when idle, and quickly ramps up as needed.

Here is a sample of average speeds during use for the GPU/memory

No need to worry about setting MAX settings on CPU/GPU, I let the computer set it in Balanced mode :)

I have run BOINC, FAH, and other distributed jobs 24/7 on Asus laptops for years without a failure. You just have to run within temperature tolerances. You can't do this with skinny laptops with anemic cooling, they will throttle themselves sure, but they will still run too hot

The Asus large frame laptops, 17" / 18" are the only ones I would run anything 24/7 at OC speeds. Maybe someday a new technology will improve cooling dramatically - using reclaimed heat for power?, but today you need large physical volumes that can hold large physical cooling elements.

Same for desktops, run them too close to the thermal edge and you will fail, run them cool with stable clean power, and they just won't fail. Again, large volumes to hold large cooling elements win. I have many GPU's going way back - and none of them have failed, because I treated them well, running at 100% at Thermally compatible OC speeds.

Enjoy the full capabilities of your laptop :)

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 01:38 PM
i see :), How old is your JH ?, and hw long are you planing on keeping it ?

hmscott
09-17-2014, 01:51 PM
i see :), How old is your JH ?, and hw long are you planing on keeping it ?

FalconFX, I don't think you really see, noone does that quickly, but give it a chance and a try yourself, I think you will be surprised to find you don't have to run your Asus ROG laptop under spec to extend it's life. Find out the specs of the components, and keep within their operating parameters, and you will find you can get full performance without risking long term reliability.

I am trying to share my own personal experience managing 100k's of servers, desktops, in many different roles to get the most cost effective performance and long term reliability, and the results of applying that to my own personal computers and sharing the results.

What experience do you base your ultra conservative settings on?

November 2013. I don't know how long I will keep it, I don't keep as many computers around as I used to, so I will probably find a good home for it around the time of my next laptop purchase.

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 02:06 PM
FalconFX, I don't think you really see, noone does that quickly, but give it a chance and a try yourself, I think you will be surprised to find you don't have to run your Asus ROG laptop under spec to extend it's life. Find out the specs of the components, and keep within their operating parameters, and you will find you can get full performance without risking long term reliability.

I am trying to share my own personal experience managing 100k's of servers, desktops, in many different roles to get the most cost effective performance and long term reliability, and the results of applying that to my own personal computers and sharing the results.

What experience do you base your ultra conservative settings on?

Well not on any actually, just the less unecessary stress the computer is under the better, i hade a pentium 4 that lasted over 6 years, but the gpus that i putted in it all fried them selves, so i guess thats a bit where this idea of conservation is from :D

hmscott
09-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Well not on any actually, just the less unecessary stress the computer is under the better, i hade a pentium 4 that lasted over 6 years, but the gpus that i putted in it all fried them selves, so i guess thats a bit where this idea of conservation is from :D

FalconFX, that's not a bad place to start, from the conservative only use what you need position. If I didn't need the best performance I can get for work, I might not have the same view of my personal machines... nah, I would have anyway :)

GPU's tend to attract dust, and unless hooded / vented correctly will often cook in an otherwise well cooled box. It takes special attention to thermals for all areas of the box, all the components, and keeping dust out through filtering the incoming air and blowing out the fine dust that clings to GPU fans.

I pull them and use compressed air into the top to blow out the worst of it and eyeball the fan blades for the film that eventually builds up. I don't obsess over it, but I don't ignore it either.

The JM/JS/JZ do run hotter, about 10c CPU temps, some even too hot. Somehow Asus blew it in this generation with the cooling, still better than anything else out there, but not as good as the previous generations, I am sure they will fix it in the next.

Your temps are at the low end I have seen posted for the JS, so not worry.

What happens is with the ones that run too hot, they hit 90c+, and start to Thermal Throttle at about 94c, to keep the wattage dissipation with in spec - some reach 100c and should be RMA'd. Intel has gotten better about managing heat, throttling to protect the CPU. But, you loose performance if the CPU thermal throttles.

It is good to monitor and really know what temps you are subjecting the CPU /GPU to early on as you are getting to know a new computer. Then you can run confidently all the time thereafter, with spot checks for degradation in cooling - likely you will never see that - and enjoy the full performance of your computer :)

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 03:52 PM
You seel pretty confident about them, you didnt tell me though, how old is your JH ?

hmscott
09-17-2014, 03:59 PM
You seel pretty confident about them, you didnt tell me though, how old is your JH ?

Given past experience with Asus laptops, unless you get a lemon, they all run well for years.

I did answer, refresh your browser, I tend to write quickly, then edit / update a couple of times. Click the refresh icon while holding the Alt key.

November 2013. I don't know how long I will keep it, I don't keep as many computers around as I used to, so I will probably find a good home for it around the time of my next laptop purchase.

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Them what?

I did answer, refresh your browser. :)

Computers in general, ROG specefically

hmscott
09-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Computers in general, ROG specifically

Given past experience with Asus laptops, unless you get a lemon, they all run well for years.

I did answer, refresh your browser, I tend to write quickly, then edit / update a couple of times. Click the refresh icon while holding the Alt key.

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 04:34 PM

And the other thing, is that im probably not going to change it for atleast 2 years, so i try to keep it as stressfree as possible :D

hmscott
09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
And the other thing, is that im probably not going to change it for atleast 2 years, so i try to keep it as stressfree as possible :D

FalconFX, I run mine like I assume I will have it for years, and I take good care of my hardware because often it is a friend or relative that gets it after me, and I support that hardware for years afterwards.

No failures yet :)

No need to not enjoy your laptop to it's full potential, get an extended warranty if you want to assure it's function during the whole time you have it, but don't run it at reduced performance - why spend all that extra $ and run it like a lesser performance laptop? You could have saved $ and just get the cheap laptop ;)

All joking aside, if you enjoy down-clocking and de-tuning your laptop, have fun :)

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Not really, im using just the amount of performance needed for the particular task, and i wouldnt OC if i didnt want to get the most out of it, knowing that its the first time ever i've done it, for the extended warranty, we cant have one here where i live, but it came with 2 years :)

hmscott
09-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Not really, im using just the amount of performance needed for the particular task, and i wouldnt OC if i didnt want to get the most out of it, knowing that its the first time ever i've done it, for the extended warranty, we cant have one here where i live, but it came with 2 years :)

FalconFX, the theme of my posts is to tune for maximum performance and let the CPU/GPU balance the settings for the current load - no need to detune it - the computer can do it quicker and better than we can do it manually.

2 Years is a good warranty, we only get 1 year in the US, you have to purchase the additional year from Asus.

If you aren't comfortable with the unlocking of CPU multi's and up clocking the GPU/memory, then take your time and when you are so motivated, you can come back and refer to many posts on how to do it. That's what ROG hardware is all about, getting the most out of the hardware.

It's fun :)

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 05:32 PM
You are saying that you can overclock beyond 3.6ghz, i dont care about the gpu, but going above 3.6ghz would be interesting :D

hmscott
09-17-2014, 05:48 PM
You are saying that you can overclock beyond 3.6ghz, i dont care about the gpu, but going above 3.6ghz would be interesting :D

FalconFX, lets give this a rest for a day or so, ok? :)

FalconFX
09-17-2014, 05:57 PM
FalconFX, lets give this a rest for a day or so, ok? :)

Sorry if i bothered you, i talk alot, but we will continu later :)

hmscott
09-18-2014, 04:00 AM
Sorry if i bothered you, i talk alot, but we will continu later :)

FalconFX, not a bother, I wanted to go offline then, and this line of discussion is a new branch that I didn't have time to start then :)

If you are worried about tuning within the parameters that Intel / Asus / Nvidia have given us, why would you be interested in tuning outside those safely established parameters?

I don't expose inexperienced people to the methods for which their limited experience and understanding might get them in trouble.

That is why I don't recommend flashing custom BIOS / vBIOS. Defeating the safety locks isn't a good idea even when you think you know what you are doing. If you know what you are doing, you don't defeat the safety locks unless your job is to figure out what the safe limits are and how those safety locks are to be set.

Finding out the limits of the hardware have already been done for us. Trust them to have done their job well.

Learn how to do the easy tuning first, and get the experience within the realm of the reasonable, before you explore the unreasonable.

FalconFX
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
FalconFX, not a bother, I wanted to go offline then, and this line of discussion is a new branch that I didn't have time to start then :)

If you are worried about tuning within the parameters that Intel / Asus / Nvidia have given us, why would you be interested in tuning outside those safely established parameters?

I don't expose inexperienced people to the methods for which their limited experience and understanding might get them in trouble.

That is why I don't recommend flashing custom BIOS / vBIOS. Defeating the safety locks isn't a good idea even when you think you know what you are doing. If you know what you are doing, you don't defeat the safety locks unless your job is to figure out how those safety locks are to be set.

Finding out the limits of the hardware have already been done for us. Trust them to have done their job well.

Learn how to do the easy tuning first, and get the experience within the realm of the reasonable, before you explore the unreasonable.

I wasnt going to do it anyway, im no expert in these type of stuff, true i do have a good understanding of computers, but im not that good at playingwith parameters so ill stick with what i have for now :D

adamsyes
04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Sorry guys, I was somewhat inactive with this forum :p

I may update a cleaner guide for both Laptops and G20

hmscott
04-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Sorry guys, I was somewhat inactive with this forum :p
I may update a cleaner guide for both Laptops and G20

adamsyes, hey!, welcome back :)

OHIOJAYOHIO
04-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Can anyone help me with my issue with my rog g750jw, it is stuck at 0.77 while unplugged this really bugs me because i am on the go alot. Im a web designer and adobe pro. But i cannot seem to get it unclocked at 0.77 while unplug can anyone help ive tried multiple steps but hit a brick wall. Ive tried advanced power options set all the settings on maximum updated my bios from 206 to 208. Windows updates are all updated plz help willing to ((donate)!!

Yuluga
04-19-2015, 11:06 PM
hi! It is my first post in the community, I just purchased a "ROG G750JZ" is really necessary theme "overclocking"? I think the GPU little 2.5 Ghz, but from what I read on the front page is very worrying... Thanks!

Dsorensen22
11-22-2015, 01:52 AM
is there anybody i could talk to about my g750jw im learning how to use xtu and gpu and what not i followed this guide to a T just wato talk abut the the voltage offset..etc