PDA

View Full Version : Connected to router, no Internet connection

Rayearth
10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a D-Link DIR-825 router and DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) (SVN revision 22118) firmware.
Just changed my internet provider and this one uses a static IP address instead of getting one from DHCP.

I entered the data (IP, submask, gateway and two DNS) corectly and applyed the settings. After a while, the LED status light on the router stayed solid blue which means that everything is ok with the configuration and I should have access to the internet, but of course my connection center says that I'm connected only to LAN so without Internet access.

Tried to connect the WAN cable directly to my laptop, configured static IP in Windows and it worked flawlessly.
Switching the cable from the router to my laptop didn't do any better.

Any ideas where the problem lies?

cl-Albert
10-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry, I'm not much of a networking person either, so we may need to get more opinions, but from my understanding and your subject line it sounds like there is no problem if you bypass the router?

Just curious when you connect your notebook to the router, how was the notebook and router set up (if you didn't already mention this or don't mind restating it?)?

I may be wrong about this, but I'm thinking your router shoud be set up to connect to a static IP from your internet provider while your notebook doesn't need to depending how you have your router set up since multiple computers should be able to connect to that router for internet access. Does it sound correct if I say once your computers connect to your router the computers shouldn't care if your internet provider is using static or dynamic IPs and only care about how your router is set up to provide the IPs (and is your notebook set up correctly to connect to the router as it's configured?)?

Anyway, you may already know about this (if my understanding is correct), but thought I would run it by you to see if it gives anybody more ideas about the problem.
If necessary, you might also check with D-Link or your internet provider for suggestions as well if you can't get the answer here?

Hope this helps and I haven't provided incorrect info!