PDA

View Full Version : Freeze while gaming ( and sometime on desktop )

HappyLoum
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Hello,
First of, i'm not a native english speaker so i'm sorry for the mistake
Despite searching a lot i didn't find anything to prevent my problem:
While i'm gaming ( and sometimes even on th desktop but rarely ) I've got freezes that last for one/two second then i can keep playing. I've had the issue on terraria and amnesia ( every 30 second i have that one/two second freeze )
I've got a n Asus G750JX, and every driver up to date. I even updated the bios and the power ( and battery ) is always plugged in.
Windows is up to date also and my HD are not full

I've seen someone who seemed to have a similar problem but due to my poor english i couldn't understand everything that was said so i wasn't sure.

I hope somebody has an idea to fix the problem

thanks for reading

Loum

iweber95
10-05-2013, 05:26 PM
It might be because the game is loading a certain animation

hmscott
10-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Hello,
First of, i'm not a native english speaker so i'm sorry for the mistake
Despite searching a lot i didn't find anything to prevent my problem:
While i'm gaming ( and sometimes even on th desktop but rarely ) I've got freezes that last for one/two second then i can keep playing. I've had the issue on terraria and amnesia ( every 30 second i have that one/two second freeze )
I've got a n Asus G750JX, and every driver up to date. I even updated the bios and the power ( and battery ) is always plugged in.
Windows is up to date also and my HD are not full

I've seen someone who seemed to have a similar problem but due to my poor english i couldn't understand everything that was said so i wasn't sure.

I hope somebody has an idea to fix the problem

thanks for reading

Loum

By doing the things you listed in your post you have eliminated lots of peripheral issues that can contribute to problems in game play, but getting to the root cause is the key to solving the problem.

The steps it takes to load and run your game is a series of steps that all must run smoothly to give you smooth game play.

The weakest link in a chain of events is the link to identify and resolve.

The next weakest link is then the weakest link, and when that is resolved, the next weakest link shows up - you keep resolving the weak links - the hardware or software limitation that is making a step / stage in a series of steps in a process slow up, pause, or stop the rest of the process flow causing a symptom like lag.

The first weakest link in your laptop, the slowest step in the process, is the spinning disk drive. The solution is to stop all unnecessary disk access. Wherever possible stop the OS from using the disk, and then stop the application from using the disk.

If you have more than 8GB of memory, turn off Windows VM, set the paging file to zero. That stops paging, which happens whether you are out of memory or not - it isn't needed unless you are trying to debug the OS or need actual memory extension past the amount of RAM installed. Turning off VM stops random disk access, which interrupts game flow.

Reduce the number of other applications accessing the disk while you are playing. Turn off indexing, turn off automatic OS / Application updating, turn off / suspend anything that might interrupt your game play by running and using the disk - anti-virus scans, anti-malware scans, hosting / sharing file download/uploads. You know best what you have configured so go in and turn it all off.

If the game lets you configure pre-loading of textures, maps, etc at the beginning of the game, do it - so the game doesn't stop to load stuff from the slow HD during the game. If you can't do that, then reduce the eye candy - the level of textures / density of detail options to stop loading so much from disk during the game or between levels.

And finally, after you have identified all the disk access, and using a slow laggy spinning HD makes it easier to spot the programs access the disk, and stopped, reduced, or configured the disk access for least interference:

Replace the spinning rock with a stationary rock. Replace your HD with an SSD. Rock = Silicon :)

There are lots of discussions for Amnesia, check them out and see if there are specific game related or OS related settings known to help - but beware - lots of the stuff I see is anecdotal - which means someone is saying something they did which may or may not relate to the improvement in game play they saw - the improvement might be due to something completely unrelated that they either forgot they did or don't know how it helped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amnesia+lag

Come back and let us know what worked to fix your lag :)

HappyLoum
10-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your time to both of you.

I didn't tell in my previous post but i'm actually on windows 8.
@ iweber95 :
I wonder, because without moving alot, on terraria, just making a few step causes the game to freeze. Beside i don't think it's a game that actually needs a lot to load.
@hmscott
So i tried turning of windows vm but that didn't solve the problem, then i tried to reduce the application to the minimum, but it won't change anything. I don't have a SSD to try it actually. So i'll have to wait a bit if that's really the issue.
Finally, amnesia isn't the only game with the problem, it was the same on borderlands 2 for exemple. I couldn't seem to see a logic explanation but that it would be the HD seems like it.

i'll post if i find anything or if the HD to SSD change solve the problem.

thanks again

Loum

hmscott
10-05-2013, 07:51 PM
HappyLoum, I would leave off the VM, even if it didn't address this particular issue, as it causes random lag when VM is running - especially if it is set to allow WIndows to set the size Dynamically - it will extend it many times each time causing disk IO.

It sounds like it is loading textures, levels, etc during the game. The only other thing I can think short of replacing the HD with an SSD is to make a faster IO source available to stage data off the disk.

A RAM disk could be used. You would make a script to copy the game folder to the ram disk and run from there. If you have lots of memory this is a good solution. It sounds redundant - memory to memory copies, but it is really a limitation of the game - it isn't loading everything at start time and keeping everything in memory, so you have to give it a faster IO device than the disk to cache the application data.

Windows / Intel allow for an accelerator cache, and if you have very fast USB3.0 device you could assign that for cache - I haven't tried this as it seems indirect, but if you do try it let us know how it works.

Lastly, and it seems obvious after you hear it. Use a 2nd IO device to hold the application. A 2nd Sata, USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt drive (HD or SSD). That doubles your IO bus, gives you another disk head for IO (for HD), and adds another controller path bandwidth with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

Oh yeah, turn off disk spin down in your Power Plan, set spin down time to 0 = Never

If the game is trying to be good and not access the disk, leaving the disk idle for long periods, the disk might spin down (power setting above) in between accesses, then you have to wait for the drive to POST and spin back up. This also affects SSD's, if you power them off they lose their state and have to POST again.

hmscott
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your time to both of you.
I wonder, because without moving alot, on terraria, just making a few step causes the game to freeze. Beside i don't think it's a game that actually needs a lot to load.

Are you running on wireless or on ethernet? Try moving to ethernet to see if that helps.

Not a lot of game options to tune :)

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Settings

But lots of lag complaints:

https://www.google.com/search?q=terraria+lag+fix

y0da67
10-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Had the same problem. Sent it to repair, got another one, same problem.

This is how I fixed it :

Download this program : QuietHDD
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Launch it, in the 2 first tabs just put everything to the maximum and in misc settings, tick the 2 boxes. Apply.
When the program is minimized, tight click on the icon and enable "disable system suspend"
Fixed all my lags, just an incredible program.

Does anybody know if those settings can be edited in BIOS?
Changin the VM and power settings didn't work.

hmscott
10-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Had the same problem. Sent it to repair, got another one, same problem.

This is how I fixed it :

Download this program : QuietHDD
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Launch it, in the 2 first tabs just put everything to the maximum and in misc settings, tick the 2 boxes. Apply.
When the program is minimized, tight click on the icon and enable "disable system suspend"
Fixed all my lags, just an incredible program.

Does anybody know if those settings can be edited in BIOS?
Changin the VM and power settings didn't work.

Nice find y0da67!

QuietHDD is the suggested solution for HD clicking, but I didn't know it would fix lag from HD suspend - Awesome!

The VM/Turn off HD settings are OS settings, those you can keep too, they solved other lag problems, but couldn't override the HD BIOS settings.

The QuietHDD sets the options in the HD firmware, that is in effect the HD BIOS, so you couldn't set it from the Laptop BIOS.

The app has command line options too, so you could create a startup script for the settings you want, if QuietHDD doesn't maintain the setting you want through reboots.

hmscott
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
That's wild. Used the QuietHDD on my SSD. The third tab sliders are for performance testing of AAM/APM values, I set them all to max / right, and my SSD ran the fastest ever!

557 MB/sec Read / 531 MB/sec Write!

That beats the best throughput I have seen for my Samsung 840 Pro 512GB on the JW/JX by a large margin!

I also set tabs 1 and 2 sliders up all the way and selected "disable System Suspend"

Amazing, this HD tool helped out the performance of an SSD :)

y0da67
10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Glad it helped you.
That program is just amazing but does it hurt your HDD if you set everything to the maximum?

hmscott
10-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Glad it helped you.
That program is just amazing but does it hurt your HDD if you set everything to the maximum?

I haven't heard of or personally had any problem over the years disabling APM/AAM - it gets nosier - and faster is all. You can always check with the drive builder site and see what they say about their drive model. They might have forums discussing it and/or support you can ask to be certain.

Zimeys
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Lol !!!! I have exactly the same problems guys !! But since i have turn off VM and used The HDD toll, aparently it is fixed, but i'm really not sure because those freezes are really random.