PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased ASUS G750JW-DB71 - 2 issues

orbajo
10-05-2013, 08:06 PM
I just purchased the ASUS G750JW-DB71 off of Amazon earlier this week, and I haven't had too many problems with the gaming aspect of the computer, but general use. I mainly am posting this to see if the issues I am having are related to the laptop itself, or perhaps Windows 8 issues.

1- At random after a certain amount of time, my keys will no longer enter text as normal, instead acting as shortcuts for various other programs and menus. The only way I have been able to fix this is by logging off and logging back on. I thought maybe I was accidentally hitting a FN or Winkey and that's what was doing it, but if that were the case it would only happen once. Once this problem starts, I can no longer enter text anywhere in any field.
Does anyone else have this issue, or have found a solution to this?

2- I was playing a game last night (non graphic intensive game by far) and my entire laptop just shut down randomly. I ran some stress and GPU tests which were passed with flying colors - and as previously stated, the game in question was several years old and not demanding whatsoever - so I'm wondering if this is just a random issue or what? I've never had a computer just straight completely shut down in the 20 years I've used computers. Freezes, yes, but not completely powering off.

If anyone can help with either of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

z3540
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a JW from Best Buy. I have none of those problems you mentioned. Sorry, don't know how to trouble shoot your problems. Suggest to exchange with another one?

CurrySonic
10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
I just received a JW from NCIX yesterday. It was open box and I can't seem to find a defect.

1. I don't have this problem and I can't think of a cause. Windows does strange things. Since my pc was open box, I did a fresh install to factory settings using ASUS Backtracker just in case and to reset the settings. I also put my OS on SSD. It sounds like either a Windows setting your not aware of, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't have this problem.

2. I'm assuming your battery is in here. Even if it is not I find the power cord connections are fairly sturdy, but may wanna check the connections to your pc, power brick, and outlet. It doesn't seem like this is a overheating issue, especially from a 7 year old game lol.

I'll get back to you if I find or think of anything. I've only had this laptop for 24 hours now.

Good luck till then! Let us know if you resolved the issue, some others may have the same problem and want to know how to fix it!

Tundra
10-06-2013, 06:32 AM
I have this issue on my older Win 7 laptop whenever I accidentally hit the windows key while typing. My keyboard only submits shortcuts instead of typing letters. It may just be a bug that carried over from Win 7 since both of the OS's have the same kernel.

Unless you were playing a game without the battery and the power brick lost connection with the laptop, this shouldn't happen at all. Check if your battery is being charged while the power brick is plugged in. Also make sure your battery pack isn't loose. If power isn't the case, you may need to reinstall the OS. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a failing part in your system.

Bdtry
10-08-2013, 03:47 AM
When the keyboard problem happens on my old windows 7 laptop I get it working again by pressing CTRL+ALT and that usually gets it working again.

iweber95
10-08-2013, 05:20 AM
1- At random after a certain amount of time, my keys will no longer enter text as normal, instead acting as shortcuts for various other programs and menus. The only way I have been able to fix this is by logging off and logging back on. I thought maybe I was accidentally hitting a FN or Winkey and that's what was doing it, but if that were the case it would only happen once. Once this problem starts, I can no longer enter text anywhere in any field.

when this happens just hit the control key and it should stop. This happens to me somtimes and it is accually really annoying and frustrating. It took me a while to figure out how to fix it but it is as simple as hitting the control key. Hoppe this helps you!

hmscott
10-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Works on Windows 8 :)

An application to disable the Windows keys without the need for registry hacks/tweaks.
http://wkeydisabler.codeplex.com/

Disable Windows Key When Playing Game
http://www.wargeek.net/disable-windows-key-when-playing-game-windows-7-xp-vista.html

orbajo
10-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks guys, I haven't had the problem happen since, but I'm fairly sure it's because my winkey was stuck when I'd press it down. I gave it a good mashing and haven't had the same issue. But if I do, the CTRL key advice is great.
As for the shutting down, haven't had that problem either. So both of these issues seem to have resolved themselves. :) Love the laptop now.

Icem4n
10-09-2013, 05:31 PM
2- I was playing a game last night (non graphic intensive game by far) and my entire laptop just shut down randomly. I ran some stress and GPU tests which were passed with flying colors - and as previously stated, the game in question was several years old and not demanding whatsoever - so I'm wondering if this is just a random issue or what? I've never had a computer just straight completely shut down in the 20 years I've used computers. Freezes, yes, but not completely powering off.
Hello,
The bad news is, this will happen again. My G750JX was running fine for 1 week when suddently, while surfing on internet, it became crazy trying to reboot by itself 3 or 4 times before I did a 5 sec push on the power button. After that, nothing strange happened for one more day. Then, it started to turn off after a totally random time of use, from 30 seconds to 4 hours. It is not related to an excess of heating, nor a driver or application: I tried absolutly everything during 3 days including factory setting restoration. It seems to be a serious power supply issue. My laptop is now on its way to the local support center.

zalbard
10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Sounds like CTRL, ALT or SHIFT getting "stuck"...