PDA

View Full Version : G55 running hotter than it should

Kamil
10-06-2013, 03:40 AM
I've had my G55 for over a year (I think about 15-16 months to be precise) and it has been great to me overall, but lately I've been getting spontaneous shutdowns during intense gaming (even on games which had no problems before) and the fan seems louder than it used to be, or perhaps is just running at a higher RPM at the same load.

I took a look at the temperatures, and found that, at approximately idle (the monitors themselves and a single browser tab for this forum) I was getting around 60C with spikes up to 80 on the CPU, while the GPU stayed steady just under 50. If I recall correctly, when the laptop was new I was getting 40C at idle for both CPU and GPU, with 80-90 being the max during a burn-in. Since then I haven't done any overclocking of either component, and haven't opened the system in any way.

I suspect this has to do with dust buildup in the ventilation system; I recently moved and in the current location I've often found the top of the laptop fairly dusty so I wouldn't be surprised if significant quantities got sucked in and stuck there. I tried getting a can of compressed air and blowing that into the vents, which did let out a few small puffs of dust, but didn't significantly improve temperatures or quiet the fan.

So the question is, is there a good way to clean the ventilation system without voiding the warranty, or should I go ahead and take it apart a bit to clean more thoroughly? I don't really mind opening it up that much, but I don't have any other computer if I break something so it's not ideal. If anybody else has ideas on what else might be the problem other than dust, and how to fix those problems that would be welcome as well.

Dreamonic
10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Sounds like the higher thermal trip points are being activated sooner due to the already higher idle temps.

I would imagine your factory TIM is no longer in an efficient state, probably more like cracked clay like area spread now.

A repaste looks to be the solution, however when you used compressed air to blow into the vents, you could have impacted the dust bunnies instead. It would take a lot of dust to impede the cooling system by near 20 degrees. Also you don't want to ruin the fans by over spinning them with compressed air either.

Tough call, as disassembly will void warranty if done by yourself, but if you send it in for warranty, you'll be out of a NB for a while and it MAY not come back in the same cosmetic condition. Which would you prefer to happen?

If you feel up to doing this part yourself, there are videos of it in action.

Kamil
10-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Sounds like the higher thermal trip points are being activated sooner due to the already higher idle temps.

I would imagine your factory TIM is no longer in an efficient state, probably more like cracked clay like area spread now.

A repaste looks to be the solution, however when you used compressed air to blow into the vents, you could have impacted the dust bunnies instead. It would take a lot of dust to impede the cooling system by near 20 degrees. Also you don't want to ruin the fans by over spinning them with compressed air either.

Tough call, as disassembly will void warranty if done by yourself, but if you send it in for warranty, you'll be out of a NB for a while and it MAY not come back in the same cosmetic condition. Which would you prefer to happen?

If you feel up to doing this part yourself, there are videos of it in action.

I don't really mind the cosmetics all that much, but I really don't think I could manage without a computer for more than a couple days. I think I'd rather just do it myself, I won't have to go without for as long and it would be good to get experience since I have an opportunity anyways. I'll probably wait a while though, today it seems to be behaving much better; right now all the cores are in the 40s and the fan's pretty much off, though a few minutes ago the first core was spiking up to 60 for no reason... I don't know what the difference is, though it might have to do with me having my computer asleep most of today rather than on for most of yesterday.

Either way, it's not enough of a problem right now that I really feel like voiding my warranty or losing access for a while to fix it. We'll see if that changes, and you're probably right about the cause, but I think it should last for a while longer.

Kamil
10-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Well, I figured out the problem, so if anybody else is interested the answer was actually pretty simple:

SKYPE WAS BEING A DICK.

I don't know what it was doing or why, but for some reason Skype sometimes just decided it needed to take up my CPU without telling me, thus even when I thought I didn't have any significant programs running it was still doing something in the background. Quitting it made my temps drop 10 degrees in seconds, and my fans quickly calmed down to barely-audible which is probably why it dropped more slowly after that.

So no, I will not be cracking anything open or voiding any warranties in the near future, nor will I need to send anything back to ASUS, which overall makes me pretty happy (though a little embarrassed about starting a thread here when I could have avoided it just by opening the task manager to find out if something was running in the background...)