PDA

View Full Version : UEFI BIOS on G75VW

jvanderholf
10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
So, I've had my laptop for just over a year now and have decided that it's time to really start having fun and try some overclocking. I haven't overclocked anything since I burned out a CPU nearly 10 years ago and searched on here for some advice. I found the following page (http://rog.asus.com/194232013/overclocking/overclocking-guide-4-7ghz-core-i7-3770k-on-the-maximus-v-formula/2/) especially helpful with preparation, despite being a different setup.

However, when it came time to actually overclock I realized that my BIOS is extremely different from what they have in the screenshots and I was intrigued. After getting severely distracted and doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I would really like the UEFI BIOS. My question is: is it compatible with my motherboard, or even worth getting? It looks really sweet, but I 'm super leery and don't want to brick anything.

Clintlgm
10-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Well all the G75VW came from the factory with UEFI GPT set up. You don't realize that it is different than a normal BIOS because it looks the same on these notebooks. We don't get the Graphical full featured UEFI interface that Asus MB get. I think BIOS 206 was the last one that still had features that would allow you to overclock. Several people here have the information on OC ing it may take them a day or so to log on and help get you going. You can search back in the threads for OC'ing information also back in 2012 June July or so there were some post. I think once we moved to BIOS 210 the option to OC have been removed.

cl-Albert
10-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Please correct me if necessary, but as far as I've seen, the notebook bioses are 'dumbed down' and don't look anything like the desktop motherboard bioses, so even with the notebook UEFI bios, you will not see any overclocking options or the desktop motherboard bios interface in that page http://rog.asus.com/194232013/overclocking/overclocking-guide-4-7ghz-core-i7-3770k-on-the-maximus-v-formula/2/.

If your G75VW was sold from ASUS with Win8, the notebook 'UEFI bios' will have additional options to enable CSM and disable Secure boot, but otherwise looks the same, so the situation is different between notebooks and desktop motherboards.

You may be able to find some earlier posts about overclocking on these forums as Clintlgm mentioned, but I believe they used programs within Windows and not through the bios although I really haven't looked through them much.

jvanderholf
10-08-2013, 05:24 PM
@Clintlgm
Oh, dang! I just updated my BIOS to 223 last night, too! Lol I'll see if I can downgrade it. I think it may have been 206 that was on my machine, though, before updating. But I'll try again. So, as for getting the graphically vamped up version is that essentially a no?

@cl-Albert
I think Secure Boot is an option, but I don't know if CSM is. I'll check again.

cl-Albert
10-08-2013, 05:30 PM
@Clintlgm
Oh, dang! I just updated my BIOS to 223 last night, too! Lol I'll see if I can downgrade it. I think it may have been 206 that was on my machine, though, before updating. But I'll try again. So, as for getting the graphically vamped up version is that essentially a no?

@jvanderholf, you may want to get other opinons, but if you have the 223 bios, don't think there should be much reason to downgrade to the 206 version since it probably isn't going to make much difference or give you anything you want that the 223 bios doesn't have.

jvanderholf
10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I totally lied to you. It's not there. I think what I recalled seeing was the anti-theft, and my brain combined that and secure boot. So, if 223 doesn't have any options that 206 has, or vice-versa, then I would have to use third-party apps inside Windows?

Also, I should probably mention my specs, so you're aware.

G75VW-NS71 preloaded: Win 7 x64, now with Win 8 x64
Intel Core i7-3610QM
12 GB Elpida PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
3GB nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

Clintlgm
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm probably wrong but I think I'm remembering that with 206 there were still options to OC the CPU? that was one of the OP questions.

cl-Albert
10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
@ jvanderholf, thanks for your system details.
Not sure which bios version your are at right now, but if it came with Win7, you will not have the enable CSM and Secure Boot options even with the 223 bios if you care about them (only G75VW notebooks shipped with Win8 from ASUS will have them).
If you're interested in getting those settings, send me a PM to cl-Albert to get more information about arranging this, but just to let you know the notebook needs to be sent back to our office to have this done.

Otherwise, if you just want the option to enable and disable UEFI in the bios (and check for overclocking options I don't believe are available?) available in the 206 bios, you may want to downgrade to that bios version, but just be aware there is a chance the flash could fail when flashing the bios if you did not already know about this (I may worry too much, but it does happen to others I hear).

Since I work for ASUS, I should probably remind you that we don't recommend overclocking with third party utilities, or it could cause problems, but it's not possible to overclock through the ASUS notebook bios anyway as far as I know and you may want to search the forums or discuss more with others about this.

Although I have the G75VW to test, honestly, I don't remember if I've tried the 206 bios, but I tried the 207 bios which looked very ordinary to me, so not expecting much difference with the 206 version.

jvanderholf
10-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm currently still running G75VW.223. I looked for the 206 build but the ASUS site only goes down to 207 for the G75VW, and the 206 for other models wouldn't even load when I tried. But, cl-Albert, by the sound of what you are saying it probably wouldn't do me any good anyway. Unless Clintlgm is correct and the options ARE there. I don't know. I appreciate the concern on my behalf, though. I'm somewhat apprehensive as well, but it's something I'm willing to play with. I'll keep looking through the forums, see if I can find a reliable third-party program, and I'll just be super careful with it, making backups and images and such.

Thank you both for the great help. I really appreciate it. =)

Clintlgm
10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
I would hold out a little while there are several people here that have OC one or more of them will see this thread and clear things up.

Clintlgm
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
You might want to check out this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&country=&status=) it over in the G750 forum, I didn't read it but you might get some ideas

GottiBoi55
10-09-2013, 01:59 AM
The first BIOS V.207 don't have any OC options!!!
I myself I'm staying with BIOS V.210 (has VBIOS update)
(I'm still with Win7, I'm not sold on Win8 yet!)
All others BIOS updates have minor tweaks to "Modify ASID", and to "update GOP".
(basically for boot splash screen Win8)

Now for overclocking, the go to person for this is mrwolf
(http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?49613-mrwolf)Check out mrwolf's posts on OC'ing Crysis 3 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29466-Crysis-3-settings-on-G75/page2)
Plus mrwolf has many more great tips for other games!