PDA

View Full Version : Formating my G75VW and doing a Windows 8 clean inst. Could I get some help?

Thorzilla
10-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Basically, one of the updates went wrong and corrupted my system so I've been having problems with games, hardware and general software. I just have a few doubts in mind. I got no Windows 8 disk with my purchase but it seems Windows 8 can do the formatting and installing by itself? If I chose this option to "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", will I be good to go just with the 2 driver disks provided to my by Asus? Also, since my Windows partition is on disc C: and some games on D:, would the D: be affected by the reinstall at all?

Thanks a bunch!

Clintlgm
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Well you should direct the install to the C: partition. Unless our going to format Disk 0 completely which I would recommend since your having problems with an new clean install? So I would back up any data you have on D: Plan on reinstalling any programs you have on D: Follow the Guides for installing in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)

Thorzilla
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
But do I need a Windows 8 disk or something or will that tutorial help me make a bootable one?

Clintlgm
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes your going to need a Window 8 disk or ISO, the guides address making a usb or dvd install media.

Clintlgm
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Basically, one of the updates went wrong and corrupted my system so I've been having problems with games, hardware and general software. I just have a few doubts in mind. I got no Windows 8 disk with my purchase but it seems Windows 8 can do the formatting and installing by itself? If I chose this option to "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", will I be good to go just with the 2 driver disks provided to my by Asus? Also, since my Windows partition is on disc C: and some games on D:, would the D: be affected by the reinstall at all?

Thanks a bunch!
If you select Remove everything and reinstall Windows you will lose what you have installed on D: also! Back up your Data, You are having problems so you'll want to reinstall all your programs carefully so as not to corrupt your OS anyway. See my other reply's if you want to do a clean install.

Thorzilla
10-09-2013, 05:53 PM
All right, I gave it a good read and I mostly understand it all. However, with no Windows 8 disk whatsoever (preloaded on my laptop), will I be able to get an ISO somewhere or do I need to purchase Windows 8 again?

Clintlgm
10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I would try to borrow one from a friend, search the internet for a ISO to download. If you haven't already deleted your partitions I would just restore. you may need to edit the .pid file to direct it to use your embedded Key

GottiBoi55
10-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Here's a Windows 8 Setup.exe file (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=271128)
You can use this to do a "clean install" with out a problem!
This setup.exe is from "Microsoft" , so it's completely safe!

PS: If you notice that windows is not activated, just do a restart and it should activate your Windows 8 embedded BIOS key.
PPS: I would just install the necessary drivers off your two disk driver set.

Good luck my friend, and have fun!