PDA

View Full Version : Trying to migrate to SSD

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 12:37 AM
I have an Asus g75vw-nh71 with the stock HDD 500gb installed, and I purchased and installed a Samsung Evo 840 750gb SSD. I am trying to migrate my data and OS to the new SSD. There are instructions and software that come with the SSD that describe how to migrate your data from one drive to the new one. However, those instructions require a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter, a part that I think would only be necessary if I didn't have two hard drive slots in my machine.

I tried using MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy my C partition to the SSD, Then I gave the SSD Partition a Letter, D. I downloaded Easy BCD, and added a boot menu option for The new partition. I booted up, then tried selecting the new partition to boot from, No success. Brought me right back to the boot menu, then I just booted from the HDD, and now here I am describing my efforts.

Is there anyone with advice on how to solve my particular issue?

Clintlgm
10-10-2013, 01:02 AM
you need to use Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx), Since you have 2 slots you should not have any problems needing adapters put your new drive in the 0 slot your old drive in the 1 slot to do the Clone procedure. If you have already had attempts or done anything to your new SSD I would use Diskpart to clean it first before attempting the clone procedure. I think you can clean it with Mini Tool partition Wizard too. Regardless you want that new SSD Clean as NEW
I would also recommend that you download Backtracker (http://support.asus.com/warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS%20Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n/a) and create a restore USB media if you have a failure you will be able to restore to factory shipped status.
You also can use backtracker restore media to restore to your new SSD, another option!

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks for your reply. Why is it significant that I put one hard drive in 0 slot and the other in 1 slot?

Clintlgm
10-10-2013, 01:10 AM
It's not really, just habit for me to have my OS in the first SATA Slot

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Not successful. I used Macrium Reflect to copy the C partition to the new hard drive's unallocated space, then tried adding a boot entry for the drive, and I had no success when trying to boot through that option. Macrium reflect didn't' do anything that the others already did.

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 12:51 PM
This is what my hard drive status looks like according to Macrium Reflect. 27706

Disk 2 is the solid state drive, it already had the 128mb partition when I got it. I'm assuming it's important. I'm also assuming that the other partitions may be important on disk 1.

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Ok, an Update, this time I cloned the hard drive and then made a boot entry for the SSD copy of my OS with Easy BCD again. When I try to boot into windows solid state drive, it hangs on a black screen indefinitely until I shut it off.

Clintlgm
10-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Well try using Clone disk and copy the whole disk. You should not need any other program to make it work. What happens is that your complete present disk will be copied to your new disk. If this fails Clean install either way no other software is required. Your current system is UEFI GPT if your new disk is CLEAN the Copy/Clone disk will have no issues and boot when completed. If you feel you must set up your new disk then set it up UEIF GPT not BIOS MBR.
from you posted picks your SSD is not CLEAN you need to use either Minitool or DiskPart to CLEAN it. It came with a partition it must have been a refurb because someone initiated it and put a partition on it.
Again Easy BCD is not necessary or needed. Properly Cloned your new disk will boot just like your present disk is!! Once cloned computer shut down remove your old disk. Then start up if you don't boot right off spam the escape key that should bring up a boot menu just select your new SSD as the boot device. once you have it booting you can put your old drive back in an format it or deal with it however you please.

MeteoricDragon
10-10-2013, 11:17 PM
It worked! the drive had a hidden partition in it still. So that's what caused the problem with cloning.

Clintlgm
10-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Great enjoy your NB