PDA

View Full Version : I've had the G750JW for a week now and...

CurrySonic
10-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Well folks I've had this laptop for a little more than a week now. And I have to say its pretty much the best laptop I have ever had! I got this for open box for $1316! Not a single physical defect.

Bad things:
1. Wireless driver needs to be updated or games like battlefield will lag
2. Audio driver update is not intuitive, you really had to read the "Waves MaxxAudio gone???" to get it right. But I got it working and with the ROG skin (which did not come with out of the box)!
3. Matted screen is nice, but not top of the line in terms of colour vividness.
4. Really hard to find a traveling bag or envelope for this 17" laptop. (I do move around alot)
5. Audible vibrations coming from laptop when sound level set over 70.

Good:
1. Mat screen is decent overall
2. I really like the keyboard feel
3. Runs FFXIV on Max (18-30fps 25fps average. With distant LOD on 20-30fps with 30fps average)
4. Quite possibly the most quite laptop ever.
5. Runs incredibly cool. Its getting cold where I am and I find parts of the metal body actually is sucking heat away from my palms when I'm gaming! (I don't like to turn the heater on to save energy).
6. Sound is great! It really surprised me. I have the sound level on 20-30/100 most of the time. anything over 50 is just too loud.
7. 20 second completely fresh (No Windows 8 Fast boot) bootup time with 840 pro SSD. I disabled Hiberfil.sys to save 9.6GB of SSd space, but if you don't disable Hiberfil and use fast boot on SSD its a 8 second boot up with fast boot enabled.

Overall 9/10

The only thing I need a recommendation on is a true Bluetooth mouse (No USB reciever). Not a fancy gaming one, and preferably $20-30CAD/USD.

Flea0
10-13-2013, 10:37 PM
you should aim for a bit over 30 fps in FFXIV, I'd suggest lowering some barely noticeable setting like any antialiasing over 2x, or overclocking a little.

Pitcher
10-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Never disable the hibernation file in Windows 8. It is required for a better and faster shutdown