PDA

View Full Version : Need help with upgrading G750

Totemized
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi there!
I've now had my beast for some time, and I want to upgrade it. But the thing is: I dont know much about PCs.

Whats the best upgrades I can do with my 12GB G750J? Im thinking RAM, SSD and everything.
I'd love some answers! :)

villiansv
10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Unless you constantly run virtual machines and need heaps of RAM, 12GB is more than you will ever need during the lifetime of your laptop. If you primarily game on it, 8GB is already mostly overkill.

Ignoring upgrades that are impossible (CPU) or improbable (GPU) or not particularly easy (LCD, WiFi module) (all of these will void warranty, btw), you can pretty much only upgrade your hard drives. As you have space for 2 drives, conventional wisdom is to have a 128-256GB SSD on which to keep the OS and everyday programs (everything but games) and a large traditional HDD (1TB +) for games and media files.

The primary benefit of an SSD drive is extremely fast random small file access. Games in general contain few very large files with textures which end up being loaded before you play a level, and a traditional HDD is plenty fast for that. If you play a particular game very often, and one that has a lot of load times, e.g. WoW, LoL, SC2 etc, it may make sense to also install it on the SSD for better load times, but in general games don't benefit that much from this.

If you have money to burn, you can of course buy terabytes of SSD storage, but it is really not a good idea. Better to save the money towards a future laptop, invest it, buy a significant other a nice present, go on a vacation etc.

iweber95
10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah villiansv is totally right.. unfortunately the only thing you can really upgrade on your laptop that is easy is the ram and your memory

like he said you're really never going to need more then the 12gb you already have.

if you have a jw and do not have a ssd i would highly recommend them they are very fast and conveint to use

Nillaz
10-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Far and away the best upgrade you could make for your laptop (and most modern computers in general) in terms of performance is to add a SSD to your system as your boot drive.

Pitcher
10-14-2013, 04:59 PM
12 GB i a very bad number because you won't be running in Dual Channel Mode for your RAM

You need to bring the total to 16 GB or 32 GB ASAP to get Dual Channel Bandwidth across all RAM SODIMMS

To achieve Dual Channel Mode, you must put RAM in identical and matching pairs, so with 12 GB, you have 4x3 = 12 GB, 1 is missing to get that full Dual Channel Mode!

Make sure to only put 1.28V-1.35V RAM otherwise you will damage your motherboard which is built for the new Haswell CPUs as they operate on lower voltage to give you better battery life and less heat

hmscott
10-14-2013, 05:38 PM
An SSD large enough to clone your Asus configuration and provide enough storage for applications - for me that was 512GB, I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, best performance is 557MB/sec read, and 520MB/sec write.

256GB might work, but then I would feel like I need to have an HD also still installed for applications - and that is just too slow, draws more power, and adds heat to the laptop, so if you can swing it, get an SSD that holds everything.

If you can, and want the space, the Samsung Evo 1TB looks sweet. A little slower, a shorter warranty, but 2x as large for only $150 more than the 512GB 840 Pro.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147251

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1045276

Upgrading memory would likely help in some applications. The more RAM you have the less likely you will get stuck in a circumstance were you wish you had it.

The easiest upgrade is to add 4GB for 16GB, and that is pretty inexpensive. It is easier to find same brand/model memory to match what you have installed now, than down the road.

To add more than 4GB, or switch to all 8GB SODIMMS, you find the problem that 2 of the 4 ram slots involves removing 17 screws and popping off the display to tilt up the keyboard to access the 2 RAM slots under the keyboard.

If you have 12GB, then you have 3 4GB SODIMM's installed, and 1 free slot on the back access, easy to add. Get the *same* brand and model 4GB SODIMM to add, and then you will have 16GB all in DUAL Channel mode. Use AIDA64 and/or HWinfo64, or CPU-Z to find out the brand and model info.

Whatever memory you get, make sure it is DDR3L the 'L' indicates low voltage memory 1.35v (or less) vs. DDR3 which is 1.5v. In my 12GB JX CPU-Z shows I have 3 sticks of Samsung M471B5173BH0-YK0 @ 1.28v

If you want to access the other 2 SODIMM slots, here are some internals photo's of a G750JW-RB71

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

These 1866mhz SODIMM's might just be worth the trouble:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=316319&viewfull=1#post316319

I would also recommend you preserve your original HD, clone it to the replacement SSD, but don't erase it to use for storage. Many have lamented "blowing away" their original install to put on their own install, only to find they can't get many of the drivers/applications Asus provides in the original install online.

And, as it turns out, Windows 8 is the best supported OS on the G750. And you have a free license for Windows 8 built in to the laptop. Windows 8 might "suck", but you get used to it, and with a couple of free app installs you get the Windows Start Button back - "Classic Start Menu 3.9.5" and desktop widgets with "8GadgetPack".

Windows 8.1 is only a few days away now.

HD's are cheap, and cheap insurance against needing the original install later for Asus Service - Asus requires your laptop have it's original configuration installed (hardware/software) for service. If you have the original HD sitting on the shelf you can pop it right in place of the SSD and be ready to ship for service.

Some are backing up the Asus c:\esupport directory, or using Asus Backtrack for backing up stuff so they can reuse their HD, but if there were a need to have an HD restored with the Asus config for Service, how would you build it with the laptop out of commission? Then you have a sick laptop *and* have to take the time to rebuild an HD. And, what HD would you use to recreate the original install configuration, the one you erased that was already built! That would suck worse than Windows 8, even if only slightly.

Besides, the HD's that Asus provides aren't the fastest, here are a couple of options that are nice options, and one that I hope someone figures out how to fit into the G750.

This Seagate 1TB Hybrid won't perform as fast as an SSD overall, but for many applications it will likely cache once and run fast thereafter.

Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB 64MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Laptop Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

Let us know how this HGST drive works out if you get it.

Hitachi GST Travelstar 0S03563 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875

I don't know if this 15mm drive will fit, but it's a 2TB 2.5" drive!! Anyone with a Dremel obsession and a G750, let us know how to do it! :)

WD Green WD20NPVX 2TB 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236551

Overall, I would rather invest the 2nd HD $ in a larger SSD, but you might have different needs, so let us know what you get and install, and how it works.

Totemized
10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the information.
Im mostly playing Battlefield 3 - soon to be 4. And on top of that I record the gameplay with Fraps. So a fast HDD is a must.
Other than gaming & frapsing - I do alot of recording, as Im one of those who always carry with me a GoPro. And I do that in Adobe After Effects - which is a very demanding software.

I also hear its recommended to record to a different harddrive than the one your game is installed on.
I am also running out of space, as Fraps files takes a huge amount of GBs. So a Harddrive to transfer these files to would be great.

So what I understand from this:
- Buy SSD to run the OS from. (256GB SSD)
- Buy a traditional HDD that has around 1TB storage. But what speed is needed for me to Fraps on it?

As long as RAM doesnt help with my video editing, gaming or Frapsing. I dont really see why I should get it. *Thanks for clearing that up! :)*

After what you've heard here - What would be my best choise? Do you have any personal experience with any products, that you'd like to share?

Again. Thanks alot!
Isak

hmscott
10-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Im mostly playing Battlefield 3 - soon to be 4. And on top of that I record the gameplay with Fraps. So a fast HDD is a must.
Other than gaming & frapsing - I do alot of recording, as Im one of those who always carry with me a GoPro. And I do that in Adobe After Effects - which is a very demanding software.
I also hear its recommended to record to a different harddrive than the one your game is installed on.
I am also running out of space, as Fraps files takes a huge amount of GBs. So a Harddrive to transfer these files to would be great.
- Buy a traditional HDD that has around 1TB storage. But what speed is needed for me to Fraps on it?
As long as RAM doesnt help with my video editing, gaming or Frapsing. I dont really see why I should get it. *Thanks for clearing that up! :)*
After what you've heard here - What would be my best choise? Do you have any personal experience with any products, that you'd like to share?Again. Thanks alot!Isak

If you don't need to keep the collected data files on your laptop, past the creation / collection time, I suggest using USB3.0 or Thunderbolt external drives.

It is easier to transfer data, you can plug the external drive into other computers / devices quickly.

You don't have the heat / power load all time as with an internal HD - get direct power (AC/battery) for the external drive and you offload the power draw from the laptop. Transfer rates will be as fast as the drive can put out data - modern HD's still can't saturate a USB3.0 / Thunderbolt bus.

HD's have a nasty habit of suspending, glitching throughput along the way at seemingly random times. SSD's don't need to park the heads, recalibrating, or spinning down, so SSD's are the better choice for streaming HD data over long periods of time. There are apps like quietHDD that allow you to control these features, but it is another step of interaction / problems.

The G750 with 2 drive bays will let you put up to 2TB's of SSD storage on board, for a price, but migrating data files collected off of a smaller 512GB or 256GB drive to an external HD - one that you won't stream to directly - would be more cost effective.

There is another reason to go with a 512GB or 1TB SSD over a 256GB besides storage size. The 512GB/1TB are faster, especially on Writes.

I have personally had the 512GB, several 256GB's (Samsung, Corsair, Crucial), and many smaller ones over the years. I have also personally used USB3.0 and Thunderbolt SSD's and HD's for booting and data collection (PC/Mac/Linux). I have also used drives in enterprise solutions designed to not need recalibration sequences (Red/etc - RAID optimized), but I haven't seen any specifically for laptops - nor tried to fit one in for testing - let us know if you do.

Forget the 4th stick of original RAM for now, the current new price is ridiculous:
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1465773843

It should be $35-45 per stick. At that price it is a no brainier. When you go to sell you G750 you should be able to reclaim that $45 + stand out among G750JW's for sale as it would have 16GB rather than 12GB or 8GB.

Totemized
10-14-2013, 09:13 PM
If you don't need to keep the collected data files on your laptop, past the creation / collection time, I suggest using USB3.0 or Thunderbolt external drives.

It is easier to transfer data, you can plug the external drive into other computers / devices quickly.

You don't have the heat / power load all time as with an internal HD - get direct power (AC/battery) for the external drive and you offload the power draw from the laptop. Transfer rates will be as fast as the drive can put out data - modern HD's still can't saturate a USB3.0 / Thunderbolt bus.

Thats what I've been doing. I got a external 500GB or so USB 3.0 that I've been transfering files to.
You recommend Frapsing directly into the USB 3.0 HDD instead of onto a internal HDD?
Which ever is fastest, as I feel like Im having a FPS drop when running BF3 (recommended settings) with Fraps on a 30/60fps.

If I buy a 1TB internal HDD - a 300GB (or so) SDD - and have this 500GB external HDD.
Which one would be your direct Frapsing location? (personally) AKA which one would give you the most smoothness (FPS-wise) ingame?

The G750 with 2 drive bays will let you put up to 2TB's of SSD storage on board, for a price, but migrating data files collected off of a smaller 512GB or 256GB drive to an external HD - one that you won't stream to directly - would be more cost effective.

There is another reason to go with a 512GB or 1TB SSD over a 256GB besides storage size. The 512GB/1TB are faster, especially on Writes.

I have personally had the 512GB, several 256GB's (Samsung, Corsair, Crucial), and many smaller ones over the years. I have also personally used USB3.0 and Thunderbolt SSD's and HD's for booting and data collection (PC/Mac/Linux). I have also used drives in enterprise solutions designed to not need recalibration sequences (Red/etc - RAID optimized), but I haven't seen any specifically for laptops - nor tried to fit one in for testing - let us know if you do.

I am thinking of keeping my G750 for a long time, so I might aswell just get some upgrades for it.
Now that you know how I use my PC. What would you recommend me to buy to successfully be able to Fraps & edit smoothly etc? Also, do you perhabs have some links of where I can get your recommended HDDs/SSDs?
Do you have an G750 yourself? If so; what kind of upgrades have you done? :)

Again. Im so thankful that you take time to answer me!
Much appruchiated.
Isak

hmscott
10-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Thats what I've been doing. I got a external 500GB or so USB 3.0 that I've been transfering files to.
You recommend Frapsing directly into the USB 3.0 HDD instead of onto a internal HDD?
Which ever is fastest, as I feel like Im having a FPS drop when running BF3 (recommended settings) with Fraps on a 30/60fps.

If I buy a 1TB internal HDD - a 300GB (or so) SDD - and have this 500GB external HDD.
Which one would be your direct Frapsing location? (personally) AKA which one would give you the most smoothness (FPS-wise) ingame?

I am thinking of keeping my G750 for a long time, so I might aswell just get some upgrades for it.
Now that you know how I use my PC. What would you recommend me to buy to successfully be able to Fraps & edit smoothly etc? Also, do you perhabs have some links of where I can get your recommended HDDs/SSDs?
Do you have an G750 yourself? If so; what kind of upgrades have you done? :)

Again. Im so thankful that you take time to answer me!
Much appruchiated.
Isak

Totemized, I already made the SSD/HD recommendations above with links to where you can get them :)

Stream to internal solid state drive, or an external usb3.0 solid state drive for best uninterrupted throughput.

Archive to an HD - but don't stream directly to an HD - you will get interrupted streams when the drive re calibrates - and if the program caches to memory and only writes occasionally you will also get blocked when the drive needs to spin back up or restart from a suspend.

Yes, I have had a G750JW and now have a G750JX, and have had a couple of other Haswell based laptops to use. I have had the same 512GB Samsung 840 512GB in both G750s, and used Samsung Msata 256GB drives in other Haswell laptops.

Take your time to read and reread the postings here, and look at reviews on newegg, amazon, etc and product reviews on other major sites. And, let the information soak in.

It would have been nice to figure this all out before you got your G750 - so you can now act quickly, but rather than rush in to a purchase based on someones recommendation you should review the info yourself and find a solution that you can work out locally.

I bought my SSD from a local shop - I like to support local businesses when I can. I read about and studied the available upcoming SSD's for a number of months before making my decision, and so when I came across a sale for my #1 SSD choice I was prepared and ready to confidently make the purchase. I would recommend you do the same :)

Totemized
10-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Sorry about not reading through clearly enough.
Now that I have, I see a few links indeed.

So you'd prefer getting these overall?
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340 (HDD)
- http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD512BW (SDD)

They seam pricey, but I want the best!
You're positive that these will fit the G750j - and be great for my needs? :)
Thanks.
Isak

hmscott
10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Sorry about not reading through clearly enough.
Now that I have, I see a few links indeed.

So you'd prefer getting these overall?
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340 (HDD)
- http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD512BW (SDD)

They seam pricey, but I want the best!
You're positive that these will fit the G750j - and be great for my needs? :)
Thanks.
Isak

You need to make the decision on your own, configure it on your own, and take responsibility for it all, on your own.

Feedback from personal experience, as well intentioned and accurately described as possible still open up issues of production run issues, product changes over time (both the add-on and the laptop), and user error in installation or configuration.

We are not responsible for making things work on your laptop. You need to put that effort in to make it work for you, on your own.

The best we can do is feedback our own experiences to the forum, answer questions that we have time to answer, and listen to your feedback to help us with our issues. I work a lot, and don't usually have free time to come here and contribute, so right in the middle of helping you with something I, or anyone else you are working with, might be gone - and you need to be ready to support yourself.

If you think something you see is too pricey, then don't get it.

Just because something is considered the best doesn't mean everyone is going to want to spend the $ for it. We all have other things going on in our lives and need to take care of those first before we spend $ on non-essentials. If you think it is pricey then this is likely a non-essential for you, or at least outside your budget.

Like I said before, take the time to do your research before purchasing. And, now I am saying, make that personal decision to balance your wants and needs to match your income and essential expenses. It's easy to get enamored with something cool and spend $ on it to the detriment of other portions of our lives - learn how to not do that :)

You can take the feedback you find in the forum for higher end components and scale them back to fit your needs / budget. The Samsung 840, 840 Pro, and Evo all come in various sizes with different performance and cost, find something that fits your personal situation. The Seagate Hybrid disk drives come in different sizes too.

And, there are lots of other brands for SSD and HD that change their relative value/performance all the time. There are times that WD, Seagate, HGST, Maxtor have had models that are the best at the time - for performance or value. The same with SSD's - and with SSD's the best performance / price changes with every model and firmware update. Keep aware of new releases and reviews to keep on top of the ever changing options.

You can take the responsibility to make the decisions for yourself.

And, after all of that, know that whatever you buy, it is almost guaranteed to be one-upped by a new release somewhere down the road - perhaps even next week, or today.

Learn to make what you have work for you, and to be happy with what you have. :)

So, yeah, you can get a Samsung 840 Pro, whatever size you like, and a nice USB3.0 external drive as big as you need to archive your footage.

Have fun :)

villiansv
10-15-2013, 09:52 PM
I still think that buying a huge SSD nowadays is not a very smart idea - SSD prices, though much lower than a few years ago, are still way too high in /GB compared to HDDs.

A 256GB should be more than enough for your OS, programs and a few games you play often. Any decent HDD you buy today should be able to handle frapsing with ease, especially if you're running the game you're frapsing off the SSD.

Buying a hybrid HDD like the seagate one is kind of pointless, if you're also buying an SSD. You'd be wasting its hybrid potential if you're only using it as a storage drive.

By all means, if you recently won the lottery, go ahead and buy 2 512gb SSDs and connect them as Raid0. But I strongly suggest you read up on a few reviews of laptop SSDs and HDDs and make a cost-efficient choice. It's generally not smart to buy the top-of-the-line anything, as the gain you get over the 2nd best model is minimal given the hike in price. In the SSD case, that's buying the largest capacity, when compared to HDDs you're paying 10 times more per GB.

Just my opinion.

hmscott
10-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I still think that buying a huge SSD nowadays is not a very smart idea - SSD prices, though much lower than a few years ago, are still way too high in /GB compared to HDDs.

A 256GB should be more than enough for your OS, programs and a few games you play often. Any decent HDD you buy today should be able to handle frapsing with ease, especially if you're running the game you're frapsing off the SSD.

Buying a hybrid HDD like the seagate one is kind of pointless, if you're also buying an SSD. You'd be wasting its hybrid potential if you're only using it as a storage drive.

By all means, if you recently won the lottery, go ahead and buy 2 512gb SSDs and connect them as Raid0. But I strongly suggest you read up on a few reviews of laptop SSDs and HDDs and make a cost-efficient choice. It's generally not smart to buy the top-of-the-line anything, as the gain you get over the 2nd best model is minimal given the hike in price. In the SSD case, that's buying the largest capacity, when compared to HDDs you're paying 10 times more per GB.

Just my opinion.

villansv, good points. :)

Totemized, this is why I said you have to make your own decisions based on your own perceptions and needs, after gathering input from all over. Given the same information pool available, villansv and I have different needs, and have come to different conclusions.

I agree with the no hybrid drive if it is only used as the archive drive.

To get benefit from the caching of the hybrid drive you need to be reading back often the data in that cache or writing data smaller than the cache at a frequency slower than the cache has time to flush.

If you are mostly writing long streams of data then it will only help up to the point of the cache filling up, and then you are running at the drive speed - and subject to the hiccups of HD's - long streams of fraps will likely spill over the cache.

For me, I don't agree that buying a larger SSD is a waste of $. I have had split SSD / HD configurations before, and longed for the day I could put everything I need to accomplish my tasks on the SSD - I do notice the difference.

For me it can mean the difference between getting frustrated with laggy response times within applications - especially VM's - or not noticing any slow downs and being calm and focused. Any energy I am putting in to conforming to the process is energy I am not applying to the work toward a solution. Optimizing work flow is essential.

The Samsung 840 Pro drives are much less expensive now than at their release price, and if you shop around you can even find a sale/discount price to spend less - be patient and wait for that sale/bargain before pulling the trigger on a purchase and you will save $ and still get a great SSD.

I got my Samsung 840 Pro for $150 less than original price because I waited long enough that it wasn't the hottest hyped SSD at the time - but it still performs as close as possible to the maximum throughput of the SATA3 / USB3.0 performance ceiling.

Many SSD's are working at the maximum throughput of the SATA3 / USB3.0 bus. You can't go any faster than the bus speed. All the high end SSD's have hit that performance ceiling, and many of the middle spec'd SSD's can also transfer at the maximum of the SATA3/USB3.0 bus.

That is why I said to do your own homework, be patient, and you might find an SSD on your own that performs as well, is larger, and is a better price performance choice than one someone here recommends.

I made my SSD choice in May of this year, and that is like a lifetime in SSD years :)

Right now I like the Samsung Evo 1TB, for me. But I haven't tried it out, and it is new, so there are likely bugs to be solved and optimizations to be made to the Evo firmware, and I will wait a while until that sorts out.

Nillaz
10-16-2013, 01:05 AM

After what you've heard here - What would be my best choise? Do you have any personal experience with any products, that you'd like to share?

Again. Thanks alot!
Isak

Totemized I want to walk back my previous statement on the SSD a bit. You use After Effects. Still get the SSD first as it will have a net positive effect on your whole system, but shortly thereafter your next upgrade should be RAM if you work seriously with After Effects. After Effects (x64) can and will use as much RAM as you have in your system, and is one of the few instances where you can NEVER have enough. The primary benefits are significantly faster and longer render previews and the ability to work in real time at higher resolutions prior to final render output, dramatically improving the overall speed and efficiency of your workflow.

It's a thorough pain to access 2 of the RAM slots in this laptop, but for your use case if you aren't maxing out the RAM capacity on this machine frankly you're doing it wrong.

DeltaActual
10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Totally agree with Scott here - do your research man. I've used Intel 520 SSD 180GB for a year now and it's just not enough for me anymore. Looking at Samsung Evo 500GB
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE500BW/dp/B00E3W19MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381913852&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+Electronics+840+EVO-Series+500GB

Totemized
10-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Alright mates. You've helped me a great deal!
I'll first contact Asus about my computer as Im pretty sure it has a bug that needs to be sorted out before ordering new stuff for it.
It kind of freezes up daily, and it has ever since I bought it. I taped it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZwVaTiQEE

I'll do my research, and get a kickass gaming laptop out of your help! Thanks! :)

villiansv
10-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I'll first contact Asus about my computer as Im pretty sure it has a bug that needs to be sorted out before ordering new stuff for it.
It kind of freezes up daily, and it has ever since I bought it. I taped it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZwVaTiQEE

I'll do my research, and get a kickass gaming laptop out of your help! Thanks! :)

That is a really weird sound. Definitely RMA.

hmscott
10-19-2013, 12:17 AM

That is the telltale sound of a crashed Video driver. Usually the driver will exit and restart, but with that annoying sound accompanying it I can understand why you would immediately power off :)

Have you OC'd the GPU/memory? If so go back to defaults for all OC'ing (GPU/CPU) for a couple of days and go about what you normally do and see if it still happens.

If it is still happening at default settings, and in more than 1 application, then contact Asus about an RMA describing the problem with the video.

If this is only happening in 1 app, it might be the app.

For a while, years ago, this happened during a long spell of bad Nvidia drivers - it also happened for a long spell a few years ago with bad Adobe/Macromedia Flash. The display driver would crash, and freeze the computer.

Then Nvidia put in a watchdog to catch the driver crash, and exit the driver and start it again at lower speed settings - you have to do a Windows restart to get the driver running at full speed again - but you could now shutdown/restart without the potential loss of files that might occur if you are forced to power off.

If this happens again, put a pillow over the laptop ( :) ), and give it 2-3 minutes to restart the Nvidia driver - it has worked for me - but sometimes it doesn't and I have to power off like you did.

Totemized
10-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks again!
I've never OC'ed the PC, and all default settings.
It happends in multiple applications, such as Photoshop, VLC, After Effects, Battlefield 3, and even Chrome & Spotify.

I'll try wait out the freeze-time next time. #Patient
I've sent in a mail to RMA Asus, and described my problem.
Thanks alot :)

z3540
10-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Totemized, once you get your computer running smoothly and ready to get an SSD, the best price for Samsung 1TB SSD IMHO: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=87764&vpn=MZ%2D7TE1T0BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1313

Other Samsung SSDs on that site also cheap. Call or email them to get a new customer coupon code for a discount.

Another upgrade you can easily do is upgrade the stock DVD to Blu Ray RW. I used the LG BT30N: http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BT30N and can be bought here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136263

After you remove the big back plate on the back of the computer, you have to remove one screw to release the DVD drive:28330

After you pull the DVD drive out, look for a metal plate held in place by 2 small screws at the rear of the drive: 28332

You'll need to remove them and place them on the Bluray drive. Pay close attention to the orientation of the metal plate on the DVD drive and place it the same way on the Bluray drive, otherwise, you won't be able to lock the Bluray drive with the 1 screw you removed earlier. You need to remove the face plate off the stock DVD drive and place it on the new Bluray drive, otherwise, the plate that comes with the Bluray drive won't fit the G750 when you close the drive:

Be very careful when you do this because the small plastic "clips" that hold it in place seem very fragile. Although you have a Bluray RW installed, the face plate will say "DVD MULTI Recorder". Once installed, Windows will automatically install the proper driver.

Note that you need to download a separate program to watch Blurays. You can upgrade the installed Asus Cyberlink DVD program to one of their paid versions.

Totemized
10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Well.. It happened again yesterday.
I let it sit for around 10 minutes or so (wasnt counting), but it didnt autopower off.

I called ASUS, and they told me to do a full recovery. So thats what I'll do some time this week.
I'll write any progress I have with my problem & upgrading for helping others with the same problem.
Cheers!

DeltaActual
10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
never mind.....