View Full Version : G74SX Tip of AC Adapter Too Hot

10-15-2013, 04:50 AM
I recently discovered that whenever I plug my ac adapter in, it has trouble staying connected and charging if I move my laptop just a little. Also, the tip of the plug (the metal part) is super hot (enough to burn my finger) apparently melted some of the plastic away afte extended usage and that is the reason it won't stay connected unless plugged in a certain angle (it's an old ac adapter anyways). I am going to order in another AC Adapter as this is what many people with my exact problem have told me to do... However, here comes the real question:

Is it fine for me to still use my computer for a while even while the tip of the ac adapter is really hot? Or will it burn my power jack or something around the lines?

Additional info:

My comp is at a steady 35 degrees browsing and 60 while gaming so I doubt my computer temperature (internally) isn't the problem.

My battery, according to Windows 7, also says "Consider replacing your battery" but it still charges fine. I'm also ordering a backup battery just in case that one really does need to be changed, but the only reason why I keep it in my laptop atm is because my ac adapter randomly disconnects with the slightest movements sometimes and so my comp shuts off without it.

10-15-2013, 07:59 AM
i think you will stop use and wait new adapter, if new one, still hot, i think it is your bettery or laptop problem, if not, i think you will sent adapter back asus or discard.

10-18-2013, 02:23 AM
Update: Got a new ac adapter and It's getting fairly warm, I have yet to prolong use it while gaming. If it gets really hot.... I might need to actually ask for a diagnosis and a power socket repair. Sigh.

I also got a new battery but it doesn't seem like the battery does anything in terms of whether my ac adapter's tip gets hot or not. The box of the ac adapter (of both my new and old) never gets hot or even that warm... it's just the tip of the ac adapter..

10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
I have the same thing with the adapter. What i have noticed it's that depending to the voltage of the place where i am in, the adapter has different temperatures. At school it gets really hot, whereas at home it it only warm, which is normal. At school it gets madly hot, but the tension in the socket is bigger than at home.