PDA

View Full Version : G750J SSD Issues [solved ?]

AwesomeX
10-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

Just received my new G750J today and already having issues...

The C: partition on my SSD is almost full. It was sitting on 32gig, next time I checked it is sitting at 90gig.

Interesting thing is that I can't find the files and yes I have shown the hidden files. Disk Space Checker is showing that there is 57.8gig of files in C: that are no in folders, but I can only see folders. Has anyone come across this before?

p.s. Not enjoying my first Windows 8 experience.

Thanks,

AwesomeX
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Ahhh I worked it out. Just in case anyone else is wondering I had shown the hidden files but "Hide Protected OS files" was still checked.

AwesomeX
10-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I thought I'd better add a fix. Windows 8 had set the Pagefile to 32gig so backed it down to 2/4gig and ran a "powercfg -h off" in an admin cmd to get rid of hibernation so there wasn't a 25gig hiberfil.sys

hmscott
10-16-2013, 11:34 PM
I thought I'd better add a fix. Windows 8 had set the Pagefile to 32gig so backed it down to 2/4gig and ran a "powercfg -h off" in an admin cmd to get rid of hibernation so there wasn't a 25gig hiberfil.sys

If you had a 25GB hiberfil.sys file, you have 24GB of memory, which is way more than enough to allow you to run without VM turned on, which stops useless SSD activity from the OS, saves storage by removing the useless paging file, and stops dump files you know you don't need.

For most of us the only useful function of Windows VM these days, on machines with greater than 8GB, is for debugging kernel / driver issues - so you have a dump file to explore.

And, system dump files collect and fill up storage too :)

Some have noticed that performance improves by selecting a fixed VM pagefile size, rather than letting Windows grow it as needed - and that is because dynamic allocation is happening randomly as Windows thinks it needs more pagefile space - and if that happens during an action sequence it will cause a pause or interruption.

The next level of optimization is to set the pagefile to a size of 0 by selecting "no paging file" for all volumes on your machine.

There are applications, on Windows/UNIX/Linux, that do benefit from a backing store managed by the OS, or they make use of the system VM for their own optimizations, but for the most part the same is true for Windows/UNIX/Linux - no swap / pagefile means no useless IO to a paging / swap file.

There are some shared library optimizations that go away without a paging / swap file, but again, if you have enough memory - you don't care.

Try it, you might like it :)

AwesomeX
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that reply hmscott. I've turned off VM altogether now :)

hmscott
10-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks for that reply hmscott. I've turned off VM altogether now :)

Cool :)

I have been running without a pagefile / swapfile for many years - really keeps the IO down, especially when you don't want it.

Don't do this on an Oracle server...

And, in all that time there have only been one or two instances when I did something that ran out of memory - it's quite the surprise when things start exiting due to no memory - it's a nice way to get alerted that there is something wrong. Rather than bogging down with DISK IO from the processes spawning rapidly and the VM system trying to catch up.