PDA

View Full Version : G75V fail to recognize external HDD

supreme
10-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi all, been using my G75V for about half a year. Power house performance.
Unfortunately,
1) it appears that most of my USB ports fail to recognize any USB that i drive into it. (no pun intended)
Only one of my USB ports work which i use for the ROG mouse that was a standard in the box. And even when i remove
it and have other devices plugged into The working port, same thing strangely..still wont recognize. There is an audio
which sounds off when i stick USB into it.. , but nothing to be seen. I have used several different cables ranging from my
samsung USB for my phone to other external HDD....even with a brand new ipod touch i bought for my mother. Absolutely nothing but that sound when u stick it in and thats it.

2) my track pad does not work at all. Even with my mouse plugged out.

I am hoping some mates could help me out here, Id really hate to go down to a service center and being told everything
has to be rebooted....

:confused:

Clintlgm
10-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Well you choices are short, it really sounds as if you are having MB issues! You can verify that with a clean install and seeing if your track pad and usb ports work with minimal drivers and software running. If the do then its not hardware related and you can carefully reinstall your software paying attention to these Items until you hit on the one that caused the problems? Or you will solve the driver issues that are causing your issue!!
2nd Choice take to repair center you may still be in warranty?

cl-Albert
10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
1) it appears that most of my USB ports fail to recognize any USB that i drive into it. (no pun intended)
Only one of my USB ports work which i use for the ROG mouse that was a standard in the box. And even when i remove
it and have other devices plugged into The working port, same thing strangely..still wont recognize. There is an audio
which sounds off when i stick USB into it.. , but nothing to be seen. I have used several different cables ranging from my
samsung USB for my phone to other external HDD....even with a brand new ipod touch i bought for my mother. Absolutely nothing but that sound when u stick it in and thats it.

2) my track pad does not work at all. Even with my mouse plugged out.

a. It might be easier to either talk to your local support or have your service center check the notebook, but if you want to work on it more, tell us your full notebook model like G75VW or G75VX and if you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8.

By the way have you been able to get the external USB hard drive working on a different system, or made sure it has been partitioned and formatted (assuming there isn't any data that you want to keep on the hard drive)? Just wondering if you might need to 'set up' the external hard drive if you have never used it before.

If your USB mouse works in one of the USB ports, but not the others though, there likely is some kind of hardware problem and it may not be worth spending too much time on the items below.

b. Can you check your device manager to make sure everything looks good and you don't see any yellow marks or problems with devices?

c. If you are running Win7, try to start tapping the 'F8' key just before (and continue tapping) you press the power button to get into Windows Safe Mode and find out if your USB devices and touchpad are working any better.
I was able to get into Safe Mode with my G75VW and recognize an external USB 2.0 hard drive as well as use the touchpad as a basic mouse, so you might be able to get an idea if some of the problems are software related by trying this.

supreme
10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
wow. thanks a lot. device manager solved it all..managed to get my HDD working!!. THANK YOU SO MUCH. now im left with my touchpad. still clueless how to get it working. haha!

cl-Albert
10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Wow, glad to hear you could get the external USB HDD working and we're always interested in finding out more details if you get the chance in case other members run into the same issue, but sounds like you just needed to install some drivers.

Well, if you want to work on the touchpad more, please give us more information about your notebook model (it should be printed under the notebook next to the serial number) and Windows version as mentioned in my previous post.
Not sure if your 'Fn' keys are working, but try hitting 'Fn'+'F9' to see if you can toggle your touchpad on and off.
Also, let us know what you see in device manager for your 'Mice and other pointing devices' if you get the chance and if there are any marks or errors for it.